• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kobolds are also from the Feywild now?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Unless you subscribe to the idea that common lore acts as glue and common ground between tables, to make it easier for players - especially less experienced ones - to play in different games with different DMs. Then lore has much value.
Good thing I don't!

I've never played at tables that used the same lore and things are fine.

And this philosophy is kinda ironic when 5e doesn't even support every table having the same rules.

Voadam

Legend
It's what you had before. It's all made up, and neither TSR bor WotC have ever been any more consistent than what Perkins laid out last year.
Nonsense. :)

There was a continuity in settings before. 3e Greyhawk was in continuity with 2e and 1e Greyhawk and not separate continuities. Change came from advancing the timeline and events happening and expansions exploring more content, not reimagined rebooted versions that were inspired by previous stuff but their own separate continuity.

FR from 1e-2e-3e-4e- early 5e was a sprawling continuity with occasional contradictions that were considered unfortunate continuity mistakes, not simply aspects of separate continuities.

The new policy is that this no longer applies, 5e settings are a different continuity from past editions and 5e RPG settings for D&D the game are a different continuity from other potential current media for TV and comics and movies and novels and video games using that setting so Vox Machina the TV series is a different continuity than any of the Exandria RPG supplements. Lore may or may not be applicable from one to another, there is no goal that they be one continuity for the reading/viewing/playing audience.

Ravenloft as a demiplane setting from 2e through each of its three timeline advancing setting releases in 2e and its 3e and 3.5 licensed setting releases were one continuity. Late 5e's reimagining of the setting is different.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

There was a continuity in settings before. 3e Greyhawk was in continuity with 2e and 1e Greyhawk and not separate continuities. Change came from advancing the timeline and events happening and expansions exploring more content, not reimagined rebooted versions that were inspired by previous stuff but their own separate continuity.

FR from 1e-2e-3e-4e- early 5e was a sprawling continuity with occasional contradictions that were considered unfortunate continuity mistakes, not simply aspects of separate continuities.

The new policy is that this no longer applies, 5e settings are a different continuity from past editions and 5e RPG settings for D&D the game are a different continuity from other potential current media for TV and comics and movies and novels and video games using that setting so Vox Machina the TV series is a different continuity than any of the Exandria RPG supplements. Lore may or may not be applicable from one to another, there is no goal that they be one continuity for the reading/viewing/playing audience.

Ravenloft as a demiplane setting from 2e through each of its three timeline advancing setting releases in 2e and its 3e and 3.5 licensed setting releases were one continuity. Late 5e's reimagining of the setting is different.
The only diffI see is more honesty about what they are doing. TSR and WotC used to sell some idea of "continuity," but never delivered. Now they are practicing what they preach.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
So kobolds are supposed to be close kin to goblins?

Well instead of them being small drakes, I think I'll make them a goblin-kin touched by the power of elemental stone, living in caverns protected by devious traps while they look for gems, often clashing with the gnomes. Urd-Kobold, the winged kobolds, are now small gargoyles instead of small dragon.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, it's better. The point of lore is to inspire concepts and campaign ideas for individual tables. Having more ideas gives more freedom to which ideas an individual table might implement.

There's very little value in enforcing some kind of lore consistency between disparate tables, or across the community as a whole. If I use book A's idea of kobolds being fey, it matters to my game not one iota if you use book B's idea of kobolds being the lineal descendants of dragons.
But they're not really saying lore is whatever you want it to be. They're making new lore to replace the old, and saying that will be the lore going forward.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
But they're not really saying lore is whatever you want it to be. They're making new lore to replace the old, and saying that will be the lore going forward.
I was replying purely to the post about "Schrödinger's lore", not making any comment about the current state of WotC's publications.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
If this were 22 years ago, I would be all for it. Kobolds were goblinoids in my mind back then. The change to being draconic halflings was a shock but made more sense as a design space for the critters. Meepo and Pun-Pun have made dragon kobolds stick in my brain. I don't think I would follow the Crawford suggestion at my table. I don't see anything wrong with it, if they strip all the dragon connections they have built for 22+ years, but they don't seem to be doing it.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer

Word!

Hussar

Legend

2e Greyhawk is in continuity? Them there's fighting words considering things like Castle Greyhawk and the absolutely atrocious Greyhawk 2e modules. Do your gargoyles still take their wings off? And, is Cauldron part of Greyhawk or not?

Never minding the whole Greyhawk Wars. Because that wasn't divisive at all. :erm:

Ravenloft wasn't a demi-plane until 2e decided to make it one. There was no 3e Ravenloft official material. At least nothing from WotC, so, none of it counts as continuity.

There never really was any continuity. It was all hodge podge and piecemeal. Now, as you say, there is no goal for there to be one continuity.

Fantastic.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
2e Greyhawk is in continuity? Them there's fighting words considering things like Castle Greyhawk and the absolutely atrocious Greyhawk 2e modules. Do your gargoyles still take their wings off? And, is Cauldron part of Greyhawk or not?

Never minding the whole Greyhawk Wars. Because that wasn't divisive at all. :erm:

Ravenloft wasn't a demi-plane until 2e decided to make it one. There was no 3e Ravenloft official material. At least nothing from WotC, so, none of it counts as continuity.

There never really was any continuity. It was all hodge podge and piecemeal. Now, as you say, there is no goal for there to be one continuity.

Fantastic.
Your continued joy about other's frustration baffles me.

Remove ads