• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kobolds are also from the Feywild now?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My DM has the book, but I haven’t read it
It's not a major.part of the book, honestly, just some fluff I'm the opening chapter tonexplain Dragon's self conception self conception their origin and that of the Material Plane.

The main takeaway is that Dragons are the native "Outsiders" of the physical world (Dragons are to the Prime Material as Angels are to Mt. Celestia, Devils are to the Hells, Modrons are to mechanism, Demons are to the Abyss, Salad are to Limbo, etc.). It provides a reason for their Hoard, primarily: it's their magical cache of power of Material Plane matter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ok, the presentation worked well for us, but I get that it wasn’t for everyone. I personally hated the 2e-3e presentation
I learned with the 3E style and loved it, I've really loved the 1E and 2E stuff going back to it more recently. But 5E, for my money, is the best presentation of the rules yet (though I'm not familiar with Basic, hear that was pretty good).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The core books are being rewritten potentially as we speak. You don't think that First World stuff they're so excited about will be in there?
The First World is a bit of fluff in one book, and not central to the contents of Fizban's. There's been a lot of forum speculation, and maybe it does tie into one of the new Settings in development, but it's not really that big a thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think kobolds should make heavy use of cobalt in their culture, since the element is named after them.
Ooooooo gonna have kobolds with cobalt scales (which looks a lot like chrome) and cobalt glass colored eyes.
Their half breed Fey/Humanoid mutts...................at least in 4E. (in which they were also JUST Edgy Goth Fey in 3E.)
wat. they have no relation to the fey in 4e, at all.
Player: According to Crawford, Kobolds are from the Feywild, and that makes them Fae. Therefore, that spell is useless.

DM: That's not............that's not how that works. That's not how ANY of this works. gets shot by Crawford who appears from underneath the table.
That is legitimately not how any of this works. Elves are from the feywild. They're also humanoids, not Fey. Same with new goblinoids.

teitan

Legend
The cosmology shifts overall in 1e to 2e, and 2e to 3e, was part of the larger story of the D&D worlds and did not change history; whether you like the changes or not, they happened in universe. The 4e cosmology shift straight up rewrote the universe, and the stuff they're doing now is doing that too.

I'm not saying that everyone else's issue, but it is mine.
You did read about the spell plague yeah? It was really the only world where they had anything moving forward or backward since Eberron is a frozen start date. The spell plague was the changes and ever since 3e the planes were, in FR for example, not the Great Wheel. None of the settings used the Great Wheel in 3.x. Except Greyhawk.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I honestly will never understand why people care so much about a game setting's canon. It's not like a game world is a fully-written setting like that in a movie, TV show, or comic book series, where the viewer has no actual input on what happens. Even if every single DM were to run only "official modules" and never make any alterations to them--and that will never happen--there will be so many differences in the events of those modules, because of the players and die rolls. Nobody's game will ever match the canon, and may go off on radically different directions. Even if the players were to play the characters from the lore, things would change. And if you don't stick with the lore, then the next book that comes out that adheres to it will be even harder to integrate into your campaign.

The lore is fun to read, sure, but to adhere to?

Remove ads