Kord's Sword

Grundle

First Post
So,

A guy in the game I'm plays a human cleric of Kord. He believes that as such he should get the Greatsword weapon proficiency for free.

Strickly by the rules (as I understand them) a cleric has automatic proficiency in his deity's chosen weapon only if he has taken War as one of his domains. But War is not a domain of Kord so a cleric of Kord should have to take weapon proficiency: Greatsword to wield one.

Should the DM give him the WP for free?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
No. If he feels that he needs to use a greatsword, he can spend a feat, multiclass, or just suck up the -4 to hit.

reapersaurus

First Post
WHY does Kord have Luck as a domain and not War?
It seems to me that a diety where Strength is everything would absolutely spit on luck as a deciding factor in a battle.

Give him the proficiency.
Better yet, have him multi-class.

vox

First Post
Can you smell what Kord is cooking?

I've always identified Kord more as the pro-wrestler of the gods than the General MacArthur.

He can spend the feat or multi-class--I would think Kord would have lots (mostly?) multi-class clerics. Besides, Kord would grapple a lot more opponents than he would cleave.

vox

trentonjoe

Explorer
I give a free weapon profenciency to cleric for their god's favored weapon.

The war domain still gives the focus so I don't worry about it.

Seems silly to me that first level clerics have to waste a feat to use their god's weapon.
One would think they trained at least a little in it, right?!?

vox

First Post
reapersaurus said:
WHY does Kord have Luck as a domain and not War?
It seems to me that a diety where Strength is everything would absolutely spit on luck as a deciding factor in a battle.

Give him the proficiency.
Better yet, have him multi-class.

Boo Hiss! :) Kord is a free-spirited, party animal brawler--not an Ares or Heironeous-like battle god. He's a god of drunken arm wrestling rather than tactics and strategy.

YMMV but the core rules already have a gods of just/unjust and strategic war, they don't need another one. A good hearted god of keg parties and tire-flipping, that is what Greyhawk needs.

-vox

LostSoul

Adventurer
trentonjoe said:
Seems silly to me that first level clerics have to waste a feat to use their god's weapon.
One would think they trained at least a little in it, right?!?

Isn't that exactly what "wasting a feat" is? Taking the time to train in weapon x rather than stilling your spells.

Remove ads