Kord's Sword

graydoom

First Post
If he wants to be able to use a greatsword (use it well, at least), he needs to spend something to get it. Take the feat or take a level of fighter, or whatever, but there's no reason to just give it to him. That's what feats are for. If he thinks that it is important for his character to be able to use a greatsword, he'll spend a feat or multi-class.

LostSoul

Adventurer
"If your cleric is not devoted to a particular diety, you still select two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities (but the restriction on alignment domains still applies)."

Let the cleric be follower of Kord, but an unorthadox one who has been expelled from the Church of Kord. That way he can take the War domain and get that Greatsword if he so desires. Other clerics of Kord will not recognize him as one of thier bretheren; they might see him as a "heretic" and somebody they have to "deal with". (Although that is odd for followers of a Chaotic Good god... maybe there are other forces at work?)

adndgamer

First Post
I say let him have proficiency in it (I would go with the "let clerics have proficiency in their god's weapon idea).

I know how to solve this! Make a poll! A poll! A poll!

POLL! POLL! POLL! POLL!

*realizes that the mob's gathering around him and takes off at a dead run*

:D

Turlogh

Explorer
And here I thought this would be about Kord's sword Kelmar (An intelligent, dancing +5 sword) not about his followers. I personally think the priests of Kord should have access to the war domain and be able to use greatswords.
For some interesting information about Kord check out the dragon articles on the Seul pantheon (issues 86-90), I much prefer the 1e take on the these gods (Kord a greater deity, head god of the panteon for the most part).
Anyway this article about Kord states that his priests "must show bravery and leadership in battle at all times..." so the war domain seems fitting.

Hejdun

First Post
Kord is not a war deity. He just isn't. He is a lover of games, sports, and contests. He enjoys watching people partake in games and contests of strength. If there were an Olympics in your campaign world, Kord would be the one sponsoring it. It would be his realm.

That said, the guy should spend a feat. Sounds like he's just trying to coerce his way into not 'wasting' a feat.

fakename

First Post
Grundle said:
So,

A guy in the game I'm plays a human cleric of Kord. He believes that as such he should get the Greatsword weapon proficiency for free.

He's trying to get proficency in one of teh better weapons in the game... for free! Call him a powergaming munchkin and tell him no.

shilsen

Adventurer
One of the other players in my group is a cleric of Kord. Since he wanted to be able to use a greatsword, he dual-classed early on, and then went straight cleric. It makes him a weaker spellcaster, but it fit the character concept, so he sucked it up. I'd suggest that your DM tell his player to do the same.

Grundle

First Post
Thanks for all the great responses so far...

Guess it comes down to whether a cleric should automatically get weapon proficiency in his deities chosen weapon.

Kord's weapon being (one of) the most powerful in the game is also worth considering.

Poll? ah... maybe not.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Clerics are already powerful enough. Do they really need bonus feats on top of everything else?

Mark down another voice for "spend the feat, or learn to like a heavy mace."

Remove ads