Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"One moment, gentlemen. If I may I might be able to detect lingering magic."

If allowed Shrough will cast detect magic to determine the school

and will apply his knowledge of the crafting of spells to determine the spell's properties.

spellcraft: 1D20+12 = [10]+12 = 22

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"One moment, gentlemen. If I may I might be able to detect lingering magic."

OOC: If allowed Shrough will cast detect magic to determine the school and will apply his knowledge of the crafting of spells to determine the spell's properties.
spellcraft: 1D20+12 = [10]+12 = 22
The prisoner makes no motion to resist Shrough's spell. In fact, the Corleg seems unable to do anything but sit there and babble. Two auras flare to life on the man. One is very faint while the other is stronger.. and not quite right. The first is the last wisps of a lingering aura that is definitely enchantment related. Before Shrough can determine what it is, however, it fades away completely. The spell likely wasn't very powerful but the person who cast it likely put it on Corleg many hours ago.

The second aura has left a dark stain of supernatural magic around the man's head. What has happened to him was likely the result of some person or thing damaging his mind. Shrough checks for signs of holes in the man's skull but doesn't find any, "unlikely to be a mind flayer, hopefully," he thinks to himself. Skill hasn't been diminished but strength of will has been, which is likely how he was so easily charmed. The condition is likely permanent without magical aid.

Once all his patients are under control, Borya slowly, but surely wanders over to wherever the rest of the party is headed (assuming he can figure out where the rest of his party is).

kinem

Adventurer
Sarten will take his leave of the rescued humans and follow Borya.

ooc: I guess we are waiting for Scott DeWar. KF, maybe you should PM him.

Scott DeWar

[sblock=spell results]
The prisoner makes no motion to resist Shrough's spell. In fact, the Corleg seems unable to do anything but sit there and babble. Two auras flare to life on the man. One is very faint while the other is stronger.. and not quite right. The first is the last wisps of a lingering aura that is definitely enchantment related. Before Shrough can determine what it is, however, it fades away completely. The spell likely wasn't very powerful but the person who cast it likely put it on Corleg many hours ago.

The second aura has left a dark stain of supernatural magic around the man's head. What has happened to him was likely the result of some person or thing damaging his mind. Shrough checks for signs of holes in the man's skull but doesn't find any, "unlikely to be a mind flayer, hopefully," he thinks to himself. Skill hasn't been diminished but strength of will has been, which is likely how he was so easily charmed. The condition is likely permanent without magical aid.
[/sblock]

ooc: Sorry guys, this did not show up on my subscription list for some reason - a rare occurrence, I assure you!

"hmm argh! . . . Ah! Oh. . . uh-oh . . . . .That's not good . . .hmmm, Ok . . .uh huh . . . ." He concentrates intensely on what he is looking at, testing and poking, speaking in the language of dragons as if comparing notes in his head. He then looks at you all in silence for a couple of beats and softly announces, with pity in his voice, "This man has been under not only an enchantment, A weak one cast several hours ago that slipped away before I could get a more definitive reading, but also a very strong and very dark supernatural influence on his mind. This compelling was so strong, I was afraid at first it was of the illithid influence, but I see no holes in his head to indicate as such.

This compelling seems to . . . Well . . . " Shrough's face contorts as he thinks for a moment, but then he continues, "It has stolen his personal will with out stealing his knowledge of skills. The sad part is, it seems permanent until he gets some sort of magical healing to reverse it. This is serious magic - Dark, evil dominance magic"

He stands slowly, shaking his head. He seems deep in thought still as he contemplates what kind of healing this pour man needs, "He needs his soul returned to him.

Scotley

Hero
Jagr shudders. "That is most foul. Is such magic common here? Taking a man's will, his very soul and leaving him no freedom. It should not be done. Can you discover who did this thing?" He is clearly very disturbed by the notion.

Scott DeWar

"Maybe if we find out why the mansion was the target of tragedy, it might lead us to who is behind this. Or if we can look further in the mind of the victim there may be a memory there, but that maybe a bit tricky as a false memory could very well be left there to lead us off the path on a rabbit trail or even a false lead to the wrong person or persons. So much to learn, but so thin a channel to draw from."

S * I * G * H

Shrough squats down again to the man who was chased to continue searching for clues, when at that moment a soft rustle of the nearby grasses on the side of the road makes a soft rustle as a red fox emerges and pads silently to Shrough. He moves to place himself under the elf's left arm and walks under the length of it as if getting petted making a soft yip. Shrough looks down and greets him, "Hello Zarr my friend, I see you did not get lost as I ran on the roof tops."

*yip grr yip gra*

"No, I am sorry to say we do not have the right spell to look into his mind."Then to the others he says, "This is my friend Zarr. I don't know what else to do or say"

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Once all his patients are under control, Borya slowly, but surely wanders over to wherever the rest of the party is headed (assuming he can figure out where the rest of his party is).

Sarten will take his leave of the rescued humans and follow Borya.
It isn't hard to find the others. Borya hears Kisep's Cousin Corvus cawing from across the river. He and Sarten head across the Market Bridge and down the other side of the bank. (Kisep follows suit when he hears Corvus cawing for him.) They find the others gathered around the would-be assassin. Jagr is holding him tightly while Shrough studies the man, intently.

Cal seems to be out of breath. Vak'tiel pats his friend on the back with an uncanny grin that is made more so by the light coming from a torch being held by a Lyreguard. Another guard watches as Shrough works. He looks towards the others as they arrive. "Your friends got him, but there is more going on here than a simple assassination attempt."

Scott DeWar

[sblock=the fluff I was going for]
[sblock]Okay, the man's soul isn't truly gone. Just his strength of will (i.e. his Wisdom has been decreased). I guess you could say that his soul has been affected since he'd likely be easy to dominate once again.[/sblock]

Exactly![/sblock]

"I seem to recall some possible answers, though not exactly solutions, to the what happened to him and possibly the where, just not the Why him and why this target."

"First thing that came to mind was a vampire, which can dominate a person's mind, but there are no bite marks and . . . . , " At this time both elf and fox sniff the man, look to each other to silently confer and then continues, "no stench of death."

"Second thing was highly unlikely and only a worse case scenario and that is some sort of near deific being compelling him, perhaps one being called by a secret cult - but like I said, Not likely. As for cults, . . . .

That brings me to the third possibility of him being captured by a cult that has priestly members that can cast divine magics from the fell powers they worship. To be sure, I would need some time in a library . . . .

And speaking of libraries, I would need to look int the fourth possibility to be sure, but out in the forests I heard tell of a magical beast that controls the soul of its victim, taking the will out of his being to do any but its bidding. Not too much unlike the dominance of a vampire. But like I said, I need the use of a library.

I am rather curious why this man was sent to attack the manse that he did. I wonder if there is a clue there?"

He looks to the others and shrugs, "Lets get him back to the others and see if we can find a library. This dark and wicked game is afoot."

Remove ads