Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

kinem

Adventurer
The Fire:

It takes nearly a minute for Sarten to wake the woman. She seems exhausted to his eyes. Once roused, she nods at him hesitantly before heading to the window. She climbs down to the ground where more guards have gathered. They help her out of the way before Sarten heaves the body out the window. Several guards try to catch what they think is the man jumping out the window.

Sarten climbs down and nearly accosted by the guards until the woman says, "He saved me! Let him be!" She begs one of the Lyreguards to heal her manservant, the dead man, but he tells her, "He's with the gods now."

Once the guards realize Sarten isn't a suspect, they let him enter the house. The guards gather up the man lying near the doorway and take him out to the street just as Saten enters the manor. There is a lot of smoke, which makes it hard for even him to see. The air is hazy but Sarten is certain he can see a man running toward him carrying a small child. Once closer, he sees it's Linus.

"There are more back there," the guard yells as he runs by with his precious cargo.

Down a short corridor is a double doorway that is wide open. He can see a reddish glow beyond the doorway but not actual flames. A male voice cries out for help from somewhere deeper in the manor. Then a wave of hot air rushes towards him threatening to blow Sarten off his feet. Flames rush out from the doorway from out of nowhere.

OOC: Reflex save (DC 15): On a failed save, Sarten is knocked prone and takes 1d8 fire damage. Save for half damage.

ooc: Reflex save [roll0], [roll1] fire. Sarten hp: 36/41

ooc: I take it that through the doorway is the only way forward (towards the trapped humans) at this point. If not my actions may be different.

Depending more on his blindsight, Sarten heads deeper into the manor. Hot smoke hangs heavy in the air, but this is one time when being low to the ground is an advantage.

The sudden blast of hot air catches him off-guard, knocking him back onto his tail and causing some pain. He casts another pyrotechnics spell to snuff the flames, and scrambles to his feet.

He quickly considers his options. I am no hero; these humans are not worth my life. But short of that, I might as well help, and I'm by no means defeated yet.

He casts fire shield on himself, and charges through the doorway, ready to cast another pyrotechnics spell when he sees the fire.

ooc: Chill version: half damage from fire and if a Reflex save for half damage is allowed, takes no damage on a successful save. 7 rounds.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Jagr grins at his success in locating the quarry. His blood pumped with excitement he smoothly draws an arrow and lets it fly and though the target is trying to hide he gets another shot into the air before starting to move again toward the fleeing man.

OOC: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Chase:
Vak'tiel heads out onto the canal walkway and starts looking for any sight of the man he was chasing.

Jagr grins at his success in locating the quarry. His blood pumped with excitement he smoothly draws an arrow and lets it fly and though the target is trying to hide he gets another shot into the air before starting to move again toward the fleeing man.
Vak'tiel arrives around the corner of on the walkway just in time to see Jagr fire two shots at the runner. The first shot hits the man in the back just as he jumps over a stair railing and down to the ground. The second slips in between the gaps in stair's wooden frame and strikes the man in the thigh. The runner moves towards the boats and manages to keep his balance along the edge of one boat before jumping out onto the barge heading down the canal. He lands safely and scrambles through several tied down crates and barrels to the other side of the barge, preparing to jump to the western bank of the canal.

OOC: Both Jagr and Vak'tiel can see the man on the barge, but the man once again has cover (+2 AC) from the barge's cargo piled up on the deck. Range is at least one increment (-2 to attack roll) away unless Jagr moves closer. Since Vak'tiel already moved, I'll say he's in range if he has a bow. Does he?

Cal <pulls himself up> and will try to catch up with the group!
After pulling himself up, Cal reaches another gap in the rooftops. Looking down, he can see a 15 foot enclosure below him. He arrives at the edge of the building just in time to see Vak'tiel head around a corner onto a walkway along the canal. He can also see Shrough on the next rooftop about to jump down to somewhere Cal cannot see.

There are several crates piled up next to the building's wall. While the crates don't reach the roof, Cal should be able to jump down to them and then jump down to the ground.

OOC: Either Two 10 foot jumps down (DC 15 [x2]) -- one to the crates & one to the ground -- or one 10 foot jump down (DC 15) -- no damage for the first 10 feet. You can also have Cal back up and take a running jump across the gap (Jump check, DC 15).

Borya follows from the ground knowing full well he will patching up his fellow adventurers shortly.
Once Borya is in the street, he lets the sounds of the others guide him towards them. He looks up just in time to see Cal pull himself up on a nearby rooftop. How he got up there isn't obvious to Borya. He heads out towards the canal to try to get a better vantage on where the runner might be hiding.

He sees both Vak'tiel and Jagr ahead of him to the north. Jagr has his bow out and is preparing to fire towards a large barge heading down the canal towards Borya. He doesn't see the man who ran from the manor, but he does note that the elf named Shrough has jumped down onto a high set of wooden stairs that lead down on to the wooden walkway that the others are on. The elf moves unnaturally fast and he is soon on the ground near the bank of the canal.

OOC: BTW, [MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION] let me know yesterday that he's having connectivity issues right now.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Fire:
Depending more on his blindsight, Sarten heads deeper into the manor. Hot smoke hangs heavy in the air, but this is one time when being low to the ground is an advantage.

The sudden blast of hot air catches him off-guard, knocking him back onto his tail and causing some pain. He casts another pyrotechnics spell to snuff the flames, and scrambles to his feet.

He quickly considers his options. I am no hero; these humans are not worth my life. But short of that, I might as well help, and I'm by no means defeated yet.

He casts fire shield on himself, and charges through the doorway, ready to cast another pyrotechnics spell when he sees the fire.
Once through the doorway, Sarten can tell that the manor is likely doomed without more help. The room is full of flames and even after two more pyrotechnic spells, the blaze continues to burn out of control around him.

A large staircase leads up to where he had been on the second floor. The entire banister along an elevated mezzanine is on fire as is much of the elevated area itself. Shelves with books burn and fire is making its way down the staircase.

Sarten sees a man lying on the floor roughly 10 feet in front of him and a gnomish woman lying face down to his right. A beam has fallen on her and it is on fire. The man in front of him groans in pain.

Linus appears next to him out of the smoke holding a cloth over his face. "We have to get them out of here!" He moves towards the gnome and tries to free her from the fallen beam. Two more members of the Lyreguard enter through the doorway ready to help. Linus cannot get the beam off the gnome lady by himself. One of the guards moves to help him while the other runs up the stairs to check the second floor. He casts a water-based spell as he moves and soon water ruses out in front of him.

Kisep appears next to Sarten and offer his help just as part of the upper banister gives way and falls in behind the man on the floor.

ooc: I take it that through the doorway is the only way forward (towards the trapped humans) at this point. If not my actions may be different.
OOC: Correct. | I have a feeling that [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] is busy with his work, so I'm going to have Kisep help Sarten.

Trogdor1992

First Post
Vak'tiel sees the man running down the canal and just knows he will not make that jump. Instead he runs with all speed to the market bridge to try and cut the fleeing man off.

Chuckfar

First Post
Cal attempt's the jump (did not make it with an 8). I will pick myself up from the ground, dust myself off and limp away in the direction that Vak'tiel went.

Note to self " learn how to effin jump!!!!"

Eventually coming around the same corner as Vak'tiel and Jagr, still in pursuit. Cal grumbles, as he sees the river and the boats (Thinking once again "Damn I cant keep jumping like this I'm lible to drown this time!") just as the man they were giving chase to jumps from the boat over to the other side?

[sblock]_: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
The Fire:
Once through the doorway, Sarten can tell that the manor is likely doomed without more help. The room is full of flames and even after two more pyrotechnic spells, the blaze continues to burn out of control around him.

A large staircase leads up to where he had been on the second floor. The entire banister along an elevated mezzanine is on fire as is much of the elevated area itself. Shelves with books burn and fire is making its way down the staircase.

Sarten sees a man lying on the floor roughly 10 feet in front of him and a gnomish woman lying face down to his right. A beam has fallen on her and it is on fire. The man in front of him groans in pain.

Linus appears next to him out of the smoke holding a cloth over his face. "We have to get them out of here!" He moves towards the gnome and tries to free her from the fallen beam. Two more members of the Lyreguard enter through the doorway ready to help. Linus cannot get the beam off the gnome lady by himself. One of the guards moves to help him while the other runs up the stairs to check the second floor. He casts a water-based spell as he moves and soon water ruses out in front of him.

Kisep appears next to Sarten and offer his help just as part of the upper banister gives way and falls in behind the man on the floor.

As strength is not his forte, Sarten follows the spell-casting guard upstairs.

ooc: Spellcraft to identify the water spell: [roll0]

Scotley

Hero
Jagr moves again at speed trying to keep the barge in sight. His instincts are to chase the quarry down now that his is bloodied.

OOC: If it is possible to jump onto the barge he will, Jump +9, or if not once he's back into short range he'll fire again +12/+7

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Kisep was hesitating. Fire was not his element; indeed, fire brought back some nasty memories. Painful, dangerous fire. Seeing the kobold rescue a woman from this fire, triggered a vision of a day long ago, when he himself was surrounded by the heat of the flames, when... But no, memories could wait. He would help these people! They had someone to come to their aid, and Kisep would try hard to be one of their rescuers.

Rushing inside, the kenku finds himself next to Sarten. Like the kobold, Kisep is not so strong to be able to lift the large beam off of the gnome woman, but he does know magic. Grabbing his magical citern, the bard produces a few musical notes and directs the healing magic within the music towards the prone gnome. Then, he mutters a story, about a brave knight and his squire, carrying silver armor and noble banners, who once rescued Kisep from the burning flames. As his confidence grows, so does the volume of his voice, inspiring all those who hear it to do their very best in helping those still inside the burning house.

OOC: Mac-fuirmidh citern can cast Cure Light Wounds 1/day, caster level 3rd: [roll0]
Then starting Inspire Competence: +2 to skill checks.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Vak'tiel sees the man running down the canal and just knows he will not make that jump. Instead he runs with all speed to the market bridge to try and cut the fleeing man off.
Cal attempt's the jump (did not make it with an 8). I will pick myself up from the ground, dust myself off and limp away in the direction that Vak'tiel went.

Eventually coming around the same corner as Vak'tiel and Jagr, still in pursuit. Cal grumbles, as he sees the river and the boats (Thinking once again "Damn I cant keep jumping like this I'm lible to drown this time!") just as the man they were giving chase to jumps from the boat over to the other side?
As Cal sees the man land on the barge, Vak'tiel runs back past him and across the Market Bridge. The tiefling barbarian looks to be trying to cut the man off and is soon running along the other side of the canal.

The fleeing man jumps awkwardly to the other side of the canal, favoring his bad leg. He sees Vak'tiel coming and heads away from the tiefling along the length of several buildings standing together along the canal. The man checks one door before coming to a partially open window. He tries to pry it open more to escape inside.

Jagr moves again at speed trying to keep the barge in sight. His instincts are to chase the quarry down now that his is bloodied.
Jagr easily makes the jump to the barge just as the runner jumps from the barge to the other side of the canal. Jagr's instincts push him on to jump after the man. He nearly misjudges the distance but manages to stick the landing, claws dug in. The man is only 30 feet away trying force his way into a building through a half open window.

OOC: Jagr's 1st jump check > 1d20+9=28, 2nd > 1d20+9=13. | FYI, Scott Dewar is still having connectivity issues.

Remove ads