Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods. They need to get rid of those rooks.

”Let me go see,” the druid says, and he dives forward. As he does, his body elongates, his limbs merge with his torso, and he decreases in size until a small snake slithers silently up and inside. He goes as far as he dares, hoping to see the number of rooks and what they are doing.

OOC: Wild Shape into a small viper snake, then scout ahead unless it is too far or too risky.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth nods. They need to get rid of those rooks.

”Let me go see,” the druid says, and he dives forward. As he does, his body elongates, his limbs merge with his torso, and he decreases in size until a small snake slithers silently up and inside. He goes as far as he dares, hoping to see the number of rooks and what they are doing.

OOC: Wild Shape into a small viper snake, then scout ahead unless it is too far or too risky.
While the others prepare themselves for battle, Caerth quickly slips into viper form and slithers forward to scout up and through the door. Sticking to the shadow of the doorway, he quickly counts seven rooks in the main hall of the tower. They are not being quiet and are fighting over the scraps of dead baby scrags and what looks like a bloated shark carcass. One of the rooks seems more formidable than the others. It wears a bloodstone gem in its left eye-socket.

The rooks don't see or hear him in his snake form.

OOC: I believe him moving would count as an action for round 1, since wild shape is a standard action, which is his action for the surprise round. You can choose to stay where you are and attack or double move back out of the tower (for round one). Timmins, Gareth, and Aureus will all hold their actions for round one until you come back out, if that's what you choose.

Regardless, roll both a Hide and a Move Silently check for me for round one, if you have him stay in the tower! You don't have to roll if you get out, quickly!

Reminder! The rooks have a Frightful Caw ability that can cause fear to all those within 300 feet. They also carry disease. Did you remember to restock up on wax? (Note that while Aureus is a 1st-level divine bard now, she doesn't have any ranks in Perform.)

Quinn readies his bow as quietly as possible.
You watch as Caerth changes form into a snake and slithers ahead to check out the doorway clandestinely. Aureus backs him up while staying out of the doorway. She motions for her blade but then holds off until she is sure what the druid sees.

You note that most of the others draw blades, although Quinten readies his shortbow and Wieland unclasps a sickle (made of mithral) from his belt. None of them move forward. They seem content to let Caerth lead the way. You note that Brutus doesn't ready a weapon and looks around a bit confused as what to do. He has this look on his face like he wants to charge forward.

OOC: If no one stops him, Quinn can tell that Brutus will charge up the stairs and through the doorway (on his turn in round one). Quinn's seen that look in the arena before.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinn holds a hand up to Brutus for him to wait, hoping he will understand the gesture.
The young half-ogre nods to Quinn. He fingers the strap for his greataxe but doesn't unleash the weapon. He watches the doorway with wonderment. He wonders what Caerth will do next.

OOC: BTW, Brutus is based on the half-orc from Tome of Horrors not the one in Savage Species, so he's medium-sized.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth returns swiftly, satisfied to now have a number.

”Seven,” the druid says as he comes out of his Wild Shape and turns back into the familiar half-orcish form.

”One has a gem for an eye. Must be the alpha.”

With a soft whistled tune, Caerth lets his owl Screech know to stay out of this fight.

OOC: Using that double move to return quickly and inform the others.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth returns swiftly, satisfied to now have a number.

”Seven,” the druid says as he comes out of his Wild Shape and turns back into the familiar half-orcish form.

”One has a gem for an eye. Must be the alpha.”

With a soft whistled tune, Caerth lets his owl Screech know to stay out of this fight.

OOC: Using that double move to return quickly and inform the others.
Aureus gets close and whispers to both Caerth and Quinn. "I still have my rope." She points to opening above. "I could get in that way and attack from the stairs, as long as there aren't any surprises up there."

"If I can get close enough to the door, I can cast fireball through it," Phar whispers. He looks at the steps leading up. "But I don't think I could aim it properly from down here. I'd have to be near the door."

Brutus sticks his head into the conversation. "Can't we just rush 'em. Please?" He keeps his voice low, but his heritage makes even his lowest tone rumble in his chest. Everyone looks at the door but nothing happens.

"Brutus, just wait," Timmins insists quietly. "They've been here before. We need to follow their lead." He looks at Caerth. "While I'm not much of a climber, I might make it up with that rope."

"I can too," Meridith says with hushed eagerness. "And so can Wieland."

Her cousin nods and then looks at the sheriff.

Gareth just shakes his head 'no'. Quinten does the same.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aureus motions for Brutus to stay with the group. She takes Meredith with her and the two of them make the climb into the tower. The young ranger almost loses her grip on the way up but makes it. They disappear inside.

Phar heads quietly up the stairs and sets himself to cast. You motion for Quinten to go with him, but the young archer balks a few steps up the stairs. He looks nervous, as he holds his bow.

There is an angry squawk-like yell just before the paragon elf wizard finishes his incantation. The fireball pellet flies from his fingertips and explodes somewhere inside the tower. The rooks howl and curse in language that none of you recognize.

"I got most of them," Phar exclaims. "But they didn't die!"

"Quinten, get up there!" Timmins yells.

"Can I attack now?" Brutus asks loudly at the foot of the stairs.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth moves back into the tower, an arrow already nocked to his massive longbow. He moves quietly for his size, but cannot avoid being seen as the druid fires at the alpha rook.

The alpha, already stinging from Phar's spell, cannot avoid the arrow. It hits the beast squarely in the shoulder. Caerth notes an evil gleam in one of its eyes. "Get them!" It shrills in a feminine voice.

All, but one of the other rooks, look like their near death. Phar's spell wasn't able to get them all. That lone rook snarls and flaps its wings looking toward the wizard with malice.

Both Gareth and Brutus rush up the stairs behind Caerth while Timmins stays behind to try to get Quinten to move forward. "Move it! Move it!" Timmins yells. "They need our help!"

Gareth comes up into the room and immediately moves in front of Phar to protect the elven wizard with his sword and shield. Brutus rushes up and sees that there isn't a foe in range of his greataxe. He pauses and decides not to rush forward without the others. He stands next to Caerth.

The alpha female incants a spell that shimmers around her. A few of her burnt feathers fall away, as a minor wound closes. She moves away from you to put the three rooks in the center of the room between you and her.

OOC: The female Alpha Cleric casts a minor cure spell and moves diagonally 5 ft.
 
Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Brutus, defend Caerth with the Ax. ", Says Quinn once he advances up the steps. He sees the rook with the jeweled eye and takes aim, then looses his arrow. He draws another to shoot at the next chance.


 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Brutus, defend Caerth with the Ax. ", Says Quinn once he advances up the steps. He sees the rook with the jeweled eye and takes aim, then looses his arrow. He draws another to shoot at the next chance.
The arrow flies true to the female rook cleric and penetrates deep into her thigh. The bird woman howls in pain. Wieland follows Quinn up the stairs but finds there is no where for him past Phar.

On the stairs below, Timmins finally gets Quinten moving up the stairs. The young archer is able to slip into the room and stand next to Caerth near the spiral stairs. Timmins steps up behind Wieland and waits for room to advance.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The rook closest to Brutus and Gareth lets out a horrifying caw. You know this sound well and steeled yourselves against it. You even forewarned you new companions. However, you can tell that most of them succumb to the magical effect. Both Brutus and Gareth begin shaking.

The rooks press the advantage. One steps towards Brutus while unleashing a wicked looking club. It swings it at the young half-ogre, but the weapon bounces harmlessly off the big lad's studded armor. Another hisses in rage and charges Quinn with its claws. Quinn easily dodges the clumsy attacks. The rook standing next to that one steps 5 feet so he can clearly see Caerth and throws a dagger at the druid. The weapon digs into the floor.

One of the rooks near the other end of the room takes flight and streaks through the air and lashes out at Phar with a claw. It scratches the elf's face and is forced to circle high back through the room. It had tried to fly over Phar and out of the tower but failed.

The other rook looks at you all and then its leader. It hisses and decides to flee. It moves towards the old dumbwaiter in hopes of scrambling up the shaft and away from you.

Just after, Aureus slips into the room. The rook-harpies don't see her until she springs from the shadows to attack the rook attacking Brutus. The rook crumbles to the floor with a thrust of her short sword.

OOC: Aureus' Hide and Move Silently while Shaken: Hide > 1d20+13=31; Move Silently > 1d20+13=26
Her attack roll: 1d20+9=15+2=17 (hit); 1d6+3+4d6=19 (damage)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: @Scotley, I'm going to assume you don't want to take an AoO, so instead of having Phar move past the one rook and fire at the rook at the dumbwaiter, I'm going to say you shoot at the one 10 feet in front of Caerth. If you're willing to take the AoO, I'll change this reply after you confirm.


Phar flinches from the claws raking his face, but recovers quickly and draws his bow letting fly an arrow at the Rook attempting to flee into the dumbwaiter.

OOC:
bow attack: 1D20+10 = [18]+10 = 28
damage: 1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10
The rook heading for the dumbwaiter disappears behind the wall dividing the room circular tower room from the stairwell before Phar can loose his arrow. He could risk moving into the room but decides to take his shot at the rook that threw its dagger at Caerth.

The arrow flies over the big druid's shoulder and finds its mark in the rooks forehead. The beast's eyes roll back into its head and it crumples to the floor.

"Cover your ears!" yells Caerth, appearing to not notice the rooks' dreadful song.

OOC: I'm sure saying that is a free action I can take when it's not my turn, right? ;)

That Will save was a piece of cake for Caerth... :)
Caerth will save: 1D20+11 = [20]+11 = 31
OOC: No worries. ;)

You're up, by the way.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Realizing that taking out the Alpha probably discourages the whole flock from keeping up their attacks, Caerth runs forwards, over the body of a dead rook, and readies an arrow.

"You're mine," he whispers, then lets the arrow fly, hitting the gem-eyed creature perfectly.

Then, without thinking about it, his free hand moves to his belt where the dagger Kang is.

OOC: Move forward in order to shoot at the Alpha.
Caerth attacks the alpha Rook: 1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27
1D8+5 = [7]+5 = 12
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Realizing that taking out the Alpha probably discourages the whole flock from keeping up their attacks, Caerth runs forwards, over the body of a dead rook, and readies an arrow.

"You're mine," he whispers, then lets the arrow fly, hitting the gem-eyed creature perfectly.

Then, without thinking about it, his free hand moves to his belt where the dagger Kang is.

OOC: Move forward in order to shoot at the Alpha.
Caerth attacks the alpha Rook: 1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27
1D8+5 = [7]+5 = 12
Caerth steps over the dead rook with ease and the arrow finds its mark even easier. The Alpha takes the arrow directly in the chest. It opens its beak to shriek but no sound comes out. The bird-beast falls over dead. Most of the other rooks don't take notice. The flying one looks frightened, however, and the rook by the old dumbwaiter scrambles to empty debris blocking the egress.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
After the Alpha dies, the fear from the other rook's frightful caw takes hold in the hearts of several of your companions. Both Gareth and Brutus run amok in panic. Brutus runs right past Aureus to the other side of the room and then cowers against the wall. The rook in between Aureus and Quinn lashes out at the young half-ogre with its club but the rook misjudges its swing.

Gareth turns and runs right towards Phar, almost knocking the elf back. Once past Phar, Gareth runs past Wieland and up the stairs and out of sight. Phar also see Meridith run down the steps past the sheriff, pushed by the fear, and she keeps on running down the spiral stairs to the basement below.

OOC: Rook's AoO vs. Brutus: 1d20+7=17 (miss)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinn ponders his next attack; he'd like to shoot down the flying rook but he's got two others near him. He puts the idea out of his head, steps back from the two rook and readies his spiked chain. He lashes out at the one with burns and it crumples to the floor dead. His second attack hits the other rook hard as well and it hisses at him.

Wieland steps forward to where Caerth had just been standing and takes aim at the flying rook. His bow sakes as he fight through the magical effect of the rook's caw and fires a shot into the rook's shoulder. The rook squawks, hits the wall, and then falls to the floor.

The fear takes a hold of Quinten and he turns and runs off the stairs, literally. He falls to the ground with a thump and doesn't get up. He just lies there with his teeth chattering.

"Damn magic," Timmins says. He steels himself, moves up the stairs past Phar, and moves to help Quinn. He moves in and slashes at the rook with his longsword and manages to hit the bird-beast, although it is only a glancing blow.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The rook snarls at Ol' Timmins and thumps the warrior over the head with its club. The blow staggers the aged warrior and he shakes his head.

"Ooff, that hurt."

The rook trying to get into the blocked dumbwaiter is having no luck. It looks back and see the Alpha Female dead on the floor. It sees the look in Caerth's eyes and it drops to its knees and squawks out "I give up, don't kill Roobite."

Aureus moves to help Timmins and manages to score a critical hit with her short sword versus the last fighting rook. The bird-beast grimaces as its dark blood flows out onto the stone floor of the tower. It hisses again and clutches at the wound with its off hand.

"Surrender, you are outmatched," Aureus says.

The bird-beast just hisses at her.
 

Advertisement

Top