log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth swings his bow over one shoulder and with his other hand grabs the dagger Kang from his belt. The half-orc moves up to where the alpha female lies, and with a determined look uses the blade to remove the gem from the corpse's eye socket.

Then the druid cocks his head to one side, as if listening to something unheard, then plunges Kang into the rook's chest and, after some work, removes the bloody heart with one big fist.

OOC: Does the corpse have any sort of clothing or cloth I can use to create a makeshift bag for the heart?

And yes, Kang may be influencing Caerth a little by now. ;)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth swings his bow over one shoulder and with his other hand grabs the dagger Kang from his belt. The half-orc moves up to where the alpha female lies, and with a determined look uses the blade to remove the gem from the corpse's eye socket.
Aureus watches Caerth work to get the gem out of the alpha's eyesocket with what could be considered bemusement.

'The heart.' It is not a whisper just an urge in the big druid's mind.

JustinCase said:
Then the druid cocks his head to one side, as if listening to something unheard, then plunges Kang into the rook's chest and, after some work, removes the bloody heart with one big fist.
Aureus's look of bemusement ends. She glances at both Phar and Quinn with a look that says 'should we be worried'.

Quinn simply shrugs his shoulders before investigating the other dead rooks near him. None of them have anything of significant value of them. A half-a-dozen copper pieces and an old tarnished silver ring.

Phar out of the tower and down the steps to check on Quinten. He finds the young bowman huddled in a heap, shaking uncontrollably.

While Timmins keeps an eye on the prisoner, Wieland goes looking for his cousin down the stairwell.

Meanwhile, Brutus watches Caerth dig out the gem and rip out the rook's heart with a look of horror in his eyes. The fear still grips him.

"We need to find Gareth," Aureus says to Caerth loudly from a few feet away, hoping to snap him out of whatever is going on inside of him. "He ran away up the stairwell."

JustinCase said:
OOC: Does the corpse have any sort of clothing or cloth I can use to create a makeshift bag for the heart?

And yes, Kang may be influencing Caerth a little by now. ;)
OOC: Rooks rarely wear clothing, but this female does have a tattered cloak with a hood. It is quite dirty and smells awful. Caerth finds 3 silver and 3 gold coins tucked into a shallow, closed pocket in the cloak. A blood-soaked wooden symbol of Malotoch is around her neck.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth looks up, a flash of anger in his eyes disappearing immediately as he looks at Aureus. The half-orc smiles awkwardly.

"Right," he says softly. "I only need a moment."

Tearing off the smelly cloak, the druid takes out the coins and then wraps the heart in the cloth tightly. The coins and the package go into his backpack. Then with one hand on the stone floor and the other hovering above the wooden symbol still around the corpse's neck, Caerth mutters softly and focuses the power of nature all around him to take apart the very fibers of the wood, releasing what once was part of a tree from the restraints of its current shape.

The symbol falls apart in tiny twigs.

OOC: Casting Warp Wood at the holy symbol to destroy it.
From the spell description: "You cause wood to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength."

Spells cast:
Level 0: 0/6
Level 1: 0/5
Level 2: 1/4
Level 3: 0/4
Level 4: 0/3

Wild Shapes spent: 1/3
 

Scotley

Adventurer
"Quinten, the Rooks have been, slain," he hesitates over this last word with a worried glance back in the direction of Caerth. "Their power should be broken soon and the fear will leave you. It is an effect they have, not true fear on your part."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth looks up, a flash of anger in his eyes disappearing immediately as he looks at Aureus. The half-orc smiles awkwardly.

"Right," he says softly. "I only need a moment."

Tearing off the smelly cloak, the druid takes out the coins and then wraps the heart in the cloth tightly. The coins and the package go into his backpack. Then with one hand on the stone floor and the other hovering above the wooden symbol still around the corpse's neck, Caerth mutters softly and focuses the power of nature all around him to take apart the very fibers of the wood, releasing what once was part of a tree from the restraints of its current shape.

The symbol falls apart in tiny twigs.
While Aureus waits for him to finish, she gives young Brutus some encouragement. "It's okay now," she says calmly. "The rooks have fallen. The danger is past. Just fight through it. We're going to need you."

The half-ogre youth tears his eyes away from what Caerth is doing and focuses on the hutaakan rogue's words. He takes a few deep breaths and finally stops shaking after a few minutes. He stands and nods to her.

"I- I'm ready to keep going," he says.

Timmins cuts some vines growing on the old tower's walls and ties up the rook that surrendered. You can tell this Roobite is in sorry shape after Phar's fireball spell. (A strong breeze would likely knock the rook over.) His body is covered in burns and he winces when Timmins binds his clawed hands and feet.

"While I'd rather not gag you, we can't have you making that cawing sound," Timmins says to the rook as he stuffs some moss in the rooks mouth and ties a vine around its head to hold it in place. "Sit... or crouch down here and don't cause any trouble and maybe we'll heal some of your wounds." Timmins points to the short wall that divides the rest of the circular room from the alcove with the stairwell.

He looks at Brutus. "Soldier, are you up for some guard duty? I need you to watch him while I help look for Gareth."

Brutus nods. He is soon staring down at Roobite with a harsh glare.

"Quinten, the Rooks have been, slain," he hesitates over this last word with a worried glance back in the direction of Caerth. "Their power should be broken soon and the fear will leave you. It is an effect they have, not true fear on your part."
It takes a few minutes for Quinten to snap out of the fear affecting him. He blinks and looks at Phar. He shakes his head as if he's waking up from a bad dream. "Phar, I don't know if I should be here. That was the worst thing I've ever felt." He holds his temple as he gets to his feet. "I succumbed so easily."

The young archer looks back up the stairs with uncertainty but a look from Phar tells him 'there's no going back now'. He follows the elf wizard back up into the tower. They find Brutus standing over the rook prisoner while Quinn finishes digging through the remains of the dead rooks. The gladiator doesn't seem bothered by the smell of the dead rooks, which is awful.

Phar remembers that smell from the first time he and the others faced off against these flying beastfolk. It's worse in the confines of the tower and the burnt flesh doesn't help.

"Ooh, that smell is going to stay with me," Quinten jokes, halfheartedly.

Aureus and Caerth prepare to lead the way up the stairs to look for Gareth with Timmins. "Brutus will watch this Roobite creature," Timmins says to Phar. Wieland went downstairs looking for Meridith. Hopefully she is just huddled up in a corner somewhere shaking off the fear."

"Aye, I was," a female voice rises from down the spiral stairs. The two cousins come up the stairs with Meridith in the lead. She is glaring with anger. "Please tell me that you gutted all those things?"

"One of them surrendered," Aureus replies. She puts herself in from the young human to make sure Meridith understands that the fight is over. "We need to find Gareth. He has come back yet and there might be more rooks above. He could need our help."

"Brutus will stay here and watch the rook," Timmins adds.

"I'll stay with him to watch his back," Quinten offers.

"Good lad," Timmins says. "And keep an eye out for anything else that might try to come in here. but call out if you need help."

Quinten nods.

The rest of the group heads up the stairwell to the next floor. It's hard not to remember this floor. The ooze attacked your group here the first time. It was a tough fight. Beyond the alcove is a short hallway that leads a long corridor that runs along the center of the tower from west to east. The western half ends with broken dumbwaiter while the eastern half has four doors.

The first door on your right is the tower's old chapel where you had taken refuge after the fight with the ooze. You remember that its altar has a permanent sanctuary spell on it. The door is as you left it, closed and unlocked. The door across from it on your right was locked, and you never investigated it after the ooze attacked in the corridor. Checking it, you still find it locked. The second doorway on your right doesn't have a door anymore. It is the room where you had climbed up from outside, originally. The door across from it on your left is closed and locked. Aureus had tried opening it before the ooze attacked, with no luck.

You don't find Gareth on this floor. Hopefully he didn't climb out the hole and run off to somewhere else on the rocky islet. It isn't until you reach the next floor up, the old armory, that you find the aged fighter. Instead of finding him curled up, you find him sitting on an old turned-over barrel trying to catch his breath. The scene would be hilarious if the old armory wasn't so dank and creepy.

Gareth looks up and then coughs. "Gods, I'm out of practice. I barely remember running up here. Did we lose anyone?"
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Phar smiles, "We are all alive if a little battered. Some of our number are number are lacking in confidence after being unable to resist the song, if I may use that word, of the rooks. Perhaps a word from you would make them fell better?" Almost as an afterthought he adds, "We have a prisoner which might be helpful. I suggest we regroup. Better not to be so spread out." He looks around dank room, "Unless you've found something of interest up here?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth crosses his arms while Phar speaks to Gareth, then states simply, "You ran."

The words are somewhere between a question and an accusation. The big half-orc has little sense of diplomacy and therefore does not feel like this is inappropriate.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar smiles, "We are all alive if a little battered. Some of our number are number are lacking in confidence after being unable to resist the song, if I may use that word, of the rooks. Perhaps a word from you would make them fell better?" Almost as an afterthought he adds, "We have a prisoner which might be helpful. I suggest we regroup. Better not to be so spread out." He looks around dank room, "Unless you've found something of interest up here?"
Gareth looks at Phar and shrugs. "I don't know if I can buck up their spirits. That damn sound gripped my heart with fear as well. I lost myself and all I could do was flee." He sighs. "It was unnerving... and embarrassing."

Gareth pulls himself up to his feet and stretches out his back, "And, no, nothing here but rusted blades and old ghosts. Well, not literally."

Caerth crosses his arms while Phar speaks to Gareth, then states simply, "You ran."

The words are somewhere between a question and an accusation. The big half-orc has little sense of diplomacy and therefore does not feel like this is inappropriate.
"Yes I did, but it's not like the magical fear in my mind gave me much of a choice. We can't all have your strength of will, young man. Perhaps it was folly of me to come along. I might be more of a burden to you all than an ally."

"Don't give up the mission now, old friend," Timmins reassures. "We've just started. If there are more of those bird-beasts, we should try to protect ourselves."

"We forgot to get more wax," Aureus notes. "But maybe there is some left from before." She begins rummaging through her pack. "Yes, I have a little left. It's not much but it should help those who might be affected again." She hands over a small bit of wax to Gareth. He takes and pockets the wax for when it might be needed.

OOC: Search Check: Take 10: 20 | She has just enough for Gareth and one other character. If neither Caerth nor Phar have any left over wax then she'll give the other portion of wax to Meridith. A Search check result of 15 to 19 means your PCs have enough wax for one character. 20+ gives you enough wax for two characters.

However, a Natural 20 means the PC has enough for everyone. :)

"Phar is right, we shouldn't linger apart," Timmins says. It doesn't take long to head back down to the floor where the group fought the rooks. The smell lingers from their blood and burnt flesh.

The one called Roobite huddles under the watch of Brutus and Quinten. The fight has gone out of the creature, although its eyes show the depravity in its soul. The rook is all about his next meal. The bird-beast cringes under the gaze of the locals and it is quite uncomfortable being tied up.

"Are you going to kill me?" It hisses. "If you do, then you should eat my corpse, so I can be one with my goddess."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Yes I did, but it's not like the magical fear in my mind gave me much of a choice. We can't all have your strength of will, young man. Perhaps it was folly of me to come along. I might be more of a burden to you all than an ally."
Caerth nods, accepting the man's words as simple truth. The druid knows that if an animal gets too old to survive, the pack usually leaves it behind.

"Don't give up the mission now, old friend," Timmins reassures. "We've just started. If there are more of those bird-beasts, we should try to protect ourselves."

"We forgot to get more wax," Aureus notes. "But maybe there is some left from before." She begins rummaging through her pack. "Yes, I have a little left. It's not much but it should help those who might be affected again." She hands over a small bit of wax to Gareth. He takes and pockets the wax for when it might be needed.

OOC: Search Check: Take 10: 20 | She has just enough for Gareth and one other character. If neither Caerth nor Phar have any left over wax then she'll give the other portion of wax to Meridith. A Search check result of 15 to 19 means your PCs have enough wax for one character. 20+ gives you enough wax for two characters.

However, a Natural 20 means the PC has enough for everyone. :)
"Don't slow us down," Caerth warns, unwilling to let Gareth hinder his mission to eradicate the cult. He does, however, search his stuff for wax, but finds nothing. He shrugs apologetically at Aureus and Phar, then follows them back down the stairs.

"Phar is right, we shouldn't linger apart," Timmins says. It doesn't take long to head back down to the floor where the group fought the rooks. The smell lingers from their blood and burnt flesh.

The one called Roobite huddles under the watch of Brutus and Quinten. The fight has gone out of the creature, although its eyes show the depravity in its soul. The rook is all about his next meal. The bird-beast cringes under the gaze of the locals and it is quite uncomfortable being tied up.

"Are you going to kill me?" It hisses. "If you do, then you should eat my corpse, so I can be one with my goddess."
The half-orc raises an eyebrow.

"And granting more power to that demon? No." Caerth crosses his muscular arms across his chest, and looks at the pathetic creature. He is not sure what to do, or what to ask of it, so the druid waits for his companions' suggestions.

OOC: Never has Caerth had less of that wax before in his life... :)
Caerth search check: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Phar responds to Aureus, "Wax, yes, I believe I still have some." He checks his pouch and pulls out a bit of old parchment twisted around a lump. "I think I have enough for one set of ears." He makes I contact with those who fell prey to the 'song'. "It does seem to help." he stays hoping to reassure them. "I would see it used by one of you."

Phar turns his attention to the prisoner. "Are you so eager to be one with your goddess? Perhaps there is a way you could earn a stay of execution. You can't stay here. This place will be purged of all inhabitants before we rest, but if you tell us all you know of the others who reside here maybe we'll be lenient." He glances at the others as concerned to see how they respond as the prisoner.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Yes I did, but it's not like the magical fear in my mind gave me much of a choice. We can't all have your strength of will, young man. Perhaps it was folly of me to come along. I might be more of a burden to you all than an ally."
Caerth nods, accepting the man's words as simple truth. The druid knows that if an animal gets too old to survive, the pack usually leaves it behind.
JustinCase said:
"Don't give up the mission now, old friend," Timmins reassures. "We've just started. If there are more of those bird-beasts, we should try to protect ourselves."

"We forgot to get more wax," Aureus notes. "But maybe there is some left from before." She begins rummaging through her pack. "Yes, I have a little left. It's not much but it should help those who might be affected again." She hands over a small bit of wax to Gareth. He takes and pockets the wax for when it might be needed.
"Don't slow us down," Caerth warns, unwilling to let Gareth hinder his mission to eradicate the cult. He does, however, search his stuff for wax, but finds nothing. He shrugs apologetically at Aureus and Phar, then follows them back down the stairs.
"I will do my best to keep pace," Gareth replies. "If it becomes too much for me, I will turn back. I don't want to hold you all back."

"It won't come to that," Timmins tries to assure his friend.

JustinCase said:
OOC: Never has Caerth had less of that wax before in his life... :)
Caerth search check: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
OOC: :ROFLMAO:

Phar responds to Aureus, "Wax, yes, I believe I still have some." He checks his pouch and pulls out a bit of old parchment twisted around a lump. "I think I have enough for one set of ears." He makes I contact with those who fell prey to the 'song'. "It does seem to help." he stays hoping to reassure them. "I would see it used by one of you."
"Give it to Brutus," Meridith suggests as they head back down the stairs. "I won't need it, and we'll need to make sure he can fight in the front without risk of him succumbing again. And he's the youngest."

"Aye, but not by that much," Gareth says. "But I agree it's the best choice. His strength is an asset we should protect."

JustinCase said:
The one called Roobite huddles under the watch of Brutus and Quinten. The fight has gone out of the creature, although its eyes show the depravity in its soul. The rook is all about his next meal. The bird-beast cringes under the gaze of the locals and it is quite uncomfortable being tied up.

"Are you going to kill me?" It hisses. "If you do, then you should eat my corpse, so I can be one with my goddess."
The half-orc raises an eyebrow.

"And granting more power to that demon? No." Caerth crosses his muscular arms across his chest, and looks at the pathetic creature. He is not sure what to do, or what to ask of it, so the druid waits for his companions' suggestions.
Scotley said:
Phar turns his attention to the prisoner. "Are you so eager to be one with your goddess? Perhaps there is a way you could earn a stay of execution. You can't stay here. This place will be purged of all inhabitants before we rest, but if you tell us all you know of the others who reside here maybe we'll be lenient." He glances at the others as concerned to see how they respond as the prisoner.
"Yes, speak before I am tempted to cut out you tongue," Brutus threatens with a growl.

"I- I will not betray my goddess," Roobite hisses. He pauses. "However, if you will kill that scrawny one and let me eat his corpse, I might tell you about my rivals in the temple," the rook points at Quinten. "Especially the lowly ghoulish humans who think they are equal to us rooks in the eyes of Malotoch. But they are not. They are only slaves. Rooks are her favored servants."

"Scrawny!" Quinten shouts with teeth clenched. The young warrior quickly draws his short sword. "I'm going to cut your damn head off!"

Brutus has to grab Quinten in a bear hug to keep him from butchering the rook. Roobite hisses at them.

"Yes, either kill me and leave me for my kin to find and eat or feed me carrion. I will not betray my goddess and you will get nothing from me without a reward." He looks at Meridith next. "Maybe her? She looks tasty. Yes, death for me or her. Or the boy." He sniffs the air towards Gareth and Timmins. "Yuck! But not the old flesh."

"We will not feed you flesh," Aureus growls back. "You'll be lucky if we don't lock you up somewhere and feed you nothing but vegetables and water."

"Plants are not food! Unless they rot in the bellies of the dead!" Roobite hisses back angrily. The rook is trying to provoke you.

"I say we just gut him and bury him someplace deep where his kin cannot find his corpse," Timmins suggests. He spits on the floor next to the rook. "I wonder how his goddess would view his corpse decaying underground only being eaten by worms and insects?"

CAW! "I'd prefer that you wasting my time talking to no-wings," the rook screeches back. His caw doesn't have the power of fear behind it. It is only the sound of a bird-beast trying to taunt his foes.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Enough," Caerth says softly but with utter conviction. One hand holds the magical dagger Kang, and the half-orc's knuckles are turning white from his firm grip.

"Either you tell us about the rooks, or you die now."

WIth his free hand, Caerth grabs Roobite by the scalp and with the other places the tip of the dagger against his throat.
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Phar frowns, clearly such a vile creature cannot be allowed to live, but killing a tied prisoner makes him uncomfortable. He seized upon something the foul bird said. "So these lowly ghoulish humans are beneth your contempt. Why do your kind tolerate them here?"
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quinn stands between the rook and Brutus and Quinten. He gives Brutus an approving nod, then uses spiked chain to slither on the floor menacingly, "Answer, or I can make this damage you slowly." is all he says in a calm cold voice. [intimidat]

Intimidate: 1D20+12 = [4]+12 = 16
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Enough," Caerth says softly but with utter conviction. One hand holds the magical dagger Kang, and the half-orc's knuckles are turning white from his firm grip.

"Either you tell us about the rooks, or you die now."

WIth his free hand, Caerth grabs Roobite by the scalp and with the other places the tip of the dagger against his throat.
"Do your worst, half-human!" Roobite gurgles out. Blood seeps out of his burnt flesh around Caerth's fingers and foam drips from his beak. "I cannot live like this... my feather's burnt. What female would want me now. Finish what the elf started." He looks at Phar.

Phar frowns, clearly such a vile creature cannot be allowed to live, but killing a tied prisoner makes him uncomfortable. He seized upon something the foul bird said. "So these lowly ghoulish humans are beneth your contempt. Why do your kind tolerate them here?"
"Ha! I am just a male warrior. The females rule my people. They say we need to be allies to Malotoch's two-legged worshipers. It is not for me to question." Roobite winces under Caerth's grip. "Now kill me. All I can hope for is that Malotoch will take me into her maw, burnt flesh and all."

Quinn stands between the rook and Brutus and Quinten. He gives Brutus an approving nod, then uses spiked chain to slither on the floor menacingly, "Answer, or I can make this damage you slowly." is all he says in a calm cold voice. [intimidat]

Intimidate: 1D20+12 = [4]+12 = 16
Roobite's features glaze over and his eyes roll into the back of his head. "Do all two-legs talk this much." He looks at Quinn with a reddened eye, burnt flesh around it. "I am already near death. Strike me and I will bleed out all that is left." He tries to caw. "Or the half-human will squeeze out the last of my blood. It doesn't matter. I have nothing left in this condition. Even magical healing will leave me scarred and featherless."

He looks at Caerth with his other eye, milky and filling with blood. "Kill me." The rook gasps. "Please."

"Just put him out of his misery, lad." Timmins says. "He's not going to tell us anything unless we can heal him with more powerful magic. And we don't have the resources or time."

"We could feed him a potion and force him to live. That might be a better punishment," Quinten suggests. "He is too eager to die."

"We need to do what's right for us, not him," Gareth adds putting a hand on Caerth's shoulder. "If you're going to kill him, at least untie him first. Give him a chance to defend himself, if that is his choice."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth winces when Gareth puts his hand on the half-orc’s shoulder, and he puts some effort into not reacting with a growl or sneer.

Doesn’t the creature ask for death, repeatedly? Surely the unnatural thing has no place in this world, and a predator removes the injured and sick so that nature thrives...

But then why does he feel such hatred?

Realizing that he does not trust his own moral compass anymore after what he’s been through and the doubts about his mentor, Caerth decides he has to look outward.

”Screech,” he whispers the name of his owl companion. No, Screech is outside, safe from harm, safe from — from watching the druid do things he shouldn’t. Was that why he sent the great horned owl away?

Instead Caerth looks at his trusted companions once more, the question plain on his face. What should he do?
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Phar just shakes his head, clearly finding the situation uncomfortable. He blows out a breath and says, "We can't let him live, he will be a threat to the good people of this land. A clean execution is best. Even he desires it. I'd rather see him given a quick death than tortured."
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
wheeeee! up and down the pain scale roller coaster!

Replacing his wicked spiked chain, Quinn then draws cruel justice.

"For the crimes of murder, you are right, he should pay by a quick death."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods. A just death from the sentient blade that represents exactly that, seems a good solution to this dilemma.

The half-orc prepares himself for releasing his prisoner... just a little longer...

As if his hand has a mind of its own, Caerth pushes the dagger into the rook’s skin, just far enough to draw blood, before pushing the creature forward with his other hand, towards his companion holding Cruel Justice at the ready.
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I wish to hear from all as to the accusation and sentence of this creature and I, Quinn Inagui, will serve the weapon, Cruel Justice, as executioner."

He moves to stand within striking distance of the rook with the Named Sword ready to swing.
 

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top