log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I don't recall, Keeper of Secrets keeps his very well. There might be some arcane name for it, I'm sure wizards use it for some shadow magics or some such. But I am a warrior, not a scholar. Anyhow, it might be worth our while to check it out later and maybe take a sample with us for interested parties?"

After the party goes out to continue and he realizes what happened to the body
"You shouldn't just blindly toss things into various crevices, chasms and other openings. You never know when an innocent soul might be just passing down."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth shrugs. He's not one for studying or wizards. Well, wizards in general, of course; he gets along with Phar quite well.

"Leave the Darkstone," he says dismissively, deciding upon a name for himself. "Gods know what destructive uses those 'interested parties' discover for it. Better to leave it here."

Then, upon hearing the dwarf's remarks about removing the body, "You're right. Any innocent animal could be down there."

Then he smiles at Maur. "Or is that not what you meant?"
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Phar responds, "I believe it is Cenahite. Could be very valuable, but also dangerous in the wrong hands as we see here. I don't believe it is evil, but evil doers tend to seek it out." He goes on to explain what he knows in some detail. "I believe if you can nurture one of these plants we can overcome the darkness we find."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Cenahite," Caerth repeats as if trying the word out, then smiles appreciatingly.

"I will try," and the half-orc druid attempts to gently seperate one of the glowing vines, possibly keeping it attached to a shard or pebble of the Cenahite stone.

He mutters an orcish curse, however, when the vine breaks on his first try.

OOC: So what kind of roll is that? Knowledge (nature) or a modified Handle Animal? Depending on the nature of the roll, please add 16 or 11, respectively.

relevant roll: 1D20 = [1] = 1
D'oh! :oops:
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Let us continue. They know we're coming. No sense in letting them prepare more than we have to. Maybe we could explore that chasm, my people live deep underground and there are often overlooked ways into the area from below. It could be dangerous and unfruitful. Or it could be as easy as getting up behind the chimney in their main room."

Maur takes his shield back and clonks toward the exit.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
After some thinking, dwarven paladin comments on the shadows.
"The shadows here aren't magical...or at least they aren't caused by cultists magic. Instead they built the shrine here because there is a natural stone that radiates shadow. Or was it that it drinks light? Anyhow, Dumathoin considers it important enough that the priests hold the stone in high esteem."
Seeing the effect on the plants
"See, that is exactly what I'm talking about. The shadow effect isn't evil or negative energy."
Caerths usually stoic face now clearly expresses surprise when the plants take on a glowing quality.

"Never did that before," he mutters, in awe. Then the half-orc druid nods to the dwarf's comments. "That could explain why the plants grow so much bigger than I expected. What are these stones called?"

He picks one of the newly created mushrooms and places it in his bag. A rare smile appears on Caerths face as he is suddenly reminded of the primal feelings that nature provoked in him, all those years ago when he first started out on the path of the druid, and like the room, a bit of darkness in his soul is dispelled.
"Can we eat those?" Brutus asks Caerth and he looks at the mushrooms. "I like mushrooms."

Neurotic said:
"I don't recall, Keeper of Secrets keeps his very well. There might be some arcane name for it, I'm sure wizards use it for some shadow magics or some such. But I am a warrior, not a scholar. Anyhow, it might be worth our while to check it out later and maybe take a sample with us for interested parties?"
JustinCase said:
Caerth shrugs. He's not one for studying or wizards. Well, wizards in general, of course; he gets along with Phar quite well.

"Leave the Darkstone," he says dismissively, deciding upon a name for himself. "Gods know what destructive uses those 'interested parties' discover for it. Better to leave it here."
"While this looks lovely," Meridith says while staring at the glowing plants and shining darkstone. "I have no interest carrying any of it with me."

Neurotic said:
After the party goes out to continue and he realizes what happened to the body
"You shouldn't just blindly toss things into various crevices, chasms and other openings. You never know when an innocent soul might be just passing down."
JustinCase said:
Then, upon hearing the dwarf's remarks about removing the body, "You're right. Any innocent animal could be down there."

Then he smiles at Maur. "Or is that not what you meant?"
Quinn stops midstride and looks at Maur. "Hmm, I hadn't considered that." He sighs. "Nothing I can do about it now."

"It didn't look very deep. We could retrieve the corpse later." Timmins notes as he cleans his blade.

Phar responds, "I believe it is Cenahite. Could be very valuable, but also dangerous in the wrong hands as we see here. I don't believe it is evil, but evil doers tend to seek it out." He goes on to explain what he knows in some detail. "I believe if you can nurture one of these plants we can overcome the darkness we find."
JustinCase said:
"Cenahite," Caerth repeats as if trying the word out, then smiles appreciatingly.

"I will try," and the half-orc druid attempts to gently seperate one of the glowing vines, possibly keeping it attached to a shard or pebble of the Cenahite stone.

He mutters an orcish curse, however, when the vine breaks on his first try.

OOC: So what kind of roll is that? Knowledge (nature) or a modified Handle Animal? Depending on the nature of the roll, please add 16 or 11, respectively.

relevant roll: 1D20 = [1] = 1
D'oh! :oops:
OOC: Knowledge (nature)

Neurotic said:
"Let us continue. They know we're coming. No sense in letting them prepare more than we have to. Maybe we could explore that chasm, my people live deep underground and there are often overlooked ways into the area from below. It could be dangerous and unfruitful. Or it could be as easy as getting up behind the chimney in their main room."

Maur takes his shield back and clonks toward the exit.
"Agreed." Quinn says. "Let's put those bastards in their place."

"One of you is going to have to break down that door," Aureus reminds them. "I'll never get it open with it barred on the other side."

Once back in front of the door leading down, Quinn sheathes Cruel Justice nods to Muar. "I'm going to try to take it down." He looks back at the others. "Be ready for anything."

"I will help you," Brutus offers.

"Good lad."

Quinn and the young half-ogre stand back from the door and then rush into it in unison putting all their weight into the reinforced wooden door. They slams into it and the noise resounds through the stairwell. The door rattles but doesn't budge.

"Ow. That's a tough door," Brutus says.

"Indeed."

"Well, if they didn't know we were out here before, they do now," Wieland says quietly to himself.

Timmins looks at Caerth. "You and I could try to knock it down, but you'll have to lead. I'm not as strong as I used to be."

"Maur, can your hammer do to the door what it did to the altar?" Aureus asks the dwarf. Then she looks at Phar and asks her old friend. "Can one of your spells knock it down?"

 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I am in metal armor. Let me try. Brutus, come on, one more time."
Maur takes a good look at the door, sets his shield, tucks his beard under it and runs straight into the door, turning his weapon shoulder at the last moment.

Unfortunately, he also pushed Brutus with his shield and they collided with the door in quick succession instead at the same time.
Final result was more loud than effective.

"One more!" Red faced dwarf says

Second time it was much louder. Much harder. And equally effective. The door stands, unimpressed.

Looking at the greave at his shoulder and deciding enough is enough, Maur goes at the door with universal dwarven key. It won't be as quick, but this door is going down.

Str check: 1D20+4+2 = [4]+4+2 = 10
:)

Str check with aid and brute gauntlets max power: 1D20+4+2+4 = [10]+4+2+4 = 20

OOC: I'll roll with the assumption that someone aids :)
Edit for second roll...I realize it is low chance, but this is ridiculous. I should just smash the thing.

Edit edit: hammer time
 
Last edited:


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth waits patiently for Maur to use his hammer on the door.

"A big bear could easily..." the powerful druid muses with a smile on his face, as he makes no move to stop the dwarf from exhausting himself.

OOC: Wild Shape can help if Maur can't fix it with his hammer... ;)

AC 20
HP 58/58

Spells:
Level 0: (6) create water (x2), detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1: (5) cure light wounds (x2), entangle, speak with animals, obscuring mist
Level 2: (4) lesser restoration, barkskin, gust of wind, warp wood
Level 3: (4) call lightning, cure moderate wounds, plant growth, dominate animal
Level 4: (3) scrying, ice storm

Wild Shapes (small, medium, large): 2/3
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I am in metal armor. Let me try. Brutus, come on, one more time."
Maur takes a good look at the door, sets his shield, tucks his beard under it and runs straight into the door, turning his weapon shoulder at the last moment.

Unfortunately, he also pushed Brutus with his shield and they collided with the door in quick succession instead at the same time.
Final result was more loud than effective.

OOC: Str check: 1D20+4+2 = [4]+4+2 = 10 :)
I'll roll with the assumption that someone aids :)
"Oof!" Brutus says as his face bounces off of Maur's shield.

Meridith covers her mouth trying not to laugh. Her cousin pokes her in the ribs and shakes his head at her. She sighs and rolls her eyes and then stands and waits with her arms crossed.

Neurotic said:
"One more!" Red faced dwarf says

Second time it was much louder. Much harder. And equally effective. The door stands, unimpressed.

OOC: Str check with aid and brute gauntlets max power: 1D20+4+2+4 = [10]+4+2+4 = 20
Edit for second roll...I realize it is low chance, but this is ridiculous. I should just smash the thing.
Brutus slams into the door with Maur... this time in perfect unison. The young half-ogre's teeth rattle more than the door's hinges, which hold under the weight of the two warriors.

"That's one damn tough door," Timmins says.

"As I said, it's obviously barred from the other side," Aureus nods in agreement. "If it wasn't, I would have gotten it open. The lock was simple enough but the cultists don't want intruders to get in easily."

"Bashing down doors isn't exactly my forte, but I will be ready for whatever awaits." Phar readies his bow for a shot at an foe that appears.
Aureus notes her friends choice and decides to prepare her bow as well. The other adventurers set themselves for whatever might happen once the door is down.

Neurotic said:
Looking at the greave at his shoulder and deciding enough is enough, Maur goes at the door with universal dwarven key. It won't be as quick, but this door is going down.
OOC: Edit edit: hammer time
Caerth waits patiently for Maur to use his hammer on the door.

"A big bear could easily..." the powerful druid muses with a smile on his face, as he makes no move to stop the dwarf from exhausting himself.
Maur's first hammer strike cracks the wood but the metal reinforcements hold the door together. Brutus takes a swing with his axe and cuts a deep gash in the wood. Maur's second strike bends the metal holding the door and something shifts on the other side of the door.

"Hmm, the bar might be loose," Aureus wonders. "Hit it again and aim right in the center."

Brutus nods and slams the middle section with his axe. The door splits and would be hanging off the hinges if note for the metal reinforcements.

Maur's third strike buckles the metal reinforcements and the dwarf paladin hears a satisfying snap from the other side. The metal bar breaks in half and what's left of the door either hangs awkwardly from the top hinge or falls onto the stone floor leading into the cultists' lair.

Brutus lets out a big sigh and checks his weapon. It might need some sharping but it is still solid.

Beyond the ruins of the door is 20-ft long and 10-ft. wide corridor that ends with another reinforced wooden door. A large door hole sits in the top part of the door and is reinforced with metal bands.

Brutus looks at the new door and grunts in frustration. "Not another door!"

Muar can see what looks like a crossbow aiming out of the door and manages to get his shield up just in time to deflect the bolt that is fired at him. The crossbow wielder disappears and another appears in its place. A voice rings out, "Do not come any closer! You are trespassing on the grounds of the Temple of the Crow God! You have no right to enter this place! Leave or face the wrath of Malotoch!"

"Well, they're definitely ready for us," Timmins whispers to Caerth.

"We should be careful," Aureus says to Phar. "That corridor could be filled with traps and there could be arrow slits not that I can see any from here."

"Maybe we should ask to speak with whoever is in charge," Meridith jokes.

"Hmm, that might buy us some time," Wieland muses.

"I was kidding!"

OOC: What do you want to do next?

Corridor Entry into Temple.jpg
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I can advance, arrows will be of little consequence to my armor..." Maur muses "But I would hate to be incinerated or to fall into some pit or other in this hall. Can any of you spot the traps if there are any? There are spells too, of course, but those are finite."

OOC: spike stones behind the door, spiritual weapon, advance + foundation of stone + DR 5 should keep me alright, there are also divine favor, magic vestments...I can be tanky...but I need to know about the traps :)
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth sighs.

"I can find the traps."

The half-orc druid steps forward and producing the mushroom he just picked in the other room, whispers a few druidic words at it and tosses it into the hall. Before touching the ground the mushroom grows rapidly and takes on the shape of a massive boar, which thunders down the corridor and into the door at the other end.

OOC: Spontaneously casting Summon Nature's Ally IV to summon a dire boar (with Augmented Nature's Ally it has an added +4 to Strength and Constitution).

It obviously triggers any traps in the hall and charges the door:
Dire boar: 1D20+12+2 = [20]+12+2 = 34 (crit?)
1D8+12+2 = [8]+12+2 = 22


crit confirmation: 1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (I think that's a succes versus the door?)
Additional damage: D8 = [8] = 8


I suspect that door is destroyed. :D


OOC: Current combat stats Caerth:
AC 20
HP 58/58

Spells:
Level 0: (6) create water (x2), detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1: (5) cure light wounds (x2), entangle, speak with animals, obscuring mist
Level 2: (4) lesser restoration, barkskin, gust of wind, warp wood
Level 3: (4) call lightning, cure moderate wounds, plant growth, dominate animal
Level 4: (3) scrying, ice storm

Wild Shapes (small, medium, large): 2/3
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I can advance, arrows will be of little consequence to my armor..." Maur muses "But I would hate to be incinerated or to fall into some pit or other in this hall. Can any of you spot the traps if there are any? There are spells too, of course, but those are finite."

OOC: spike stones behind the door, spiritual weapon, advance + foundation of stone + DR 5 should keep me alright, there are also divine favor, magic vestments...I can be tanky...but I need to know about the traps :)
"I could find any traps easy enough, but I can't do it from here. I'd have to search the room," Aureus says. "And I'm not interested in becoming a pincushion."

Phar considers, "again not my forte." he says shaking his head sadly. "I've no eye for traps though I can try to spot murder holes. Perhaps another can do better with traps?" He takes a look into the corridor his keen Elven eyes miss little.

OOC:
spot: 1D20+15 = [16]+15 = 31
Phar's eyes adjust easily to the light of the short corridor ahead, and he doesn't see any arrow slits in the walls. He also doesn't see any seems or loose stones that could be a sign of any pits.

Caerth sighs.

"I can find the traps."

The half-orc druid steps forward and producing the mushroom he just picked in the other room, whispers a few druidic words at it and tosses it into the hall. Before touching the ground the mushroom grows rapidly and takes on the shape of a massive boar, which thunders down the corridor and into the door at the other end.
The boar thunders down the corridor and smashes into the door. If there are any traps, nothing is triggered. No arrows fires from any murder holes.

"Wait! What!" The voice rings out from behind the door. "Shoot again!"

"I need to reload!"


The boar crushes through the door like it's not even there. Even the iron banding doesn't save it. It splits in two and one half hangs on to the higher hinge, barely. The boar squeals and several men beyond the ruined doorway shouting in confusion. Then you hear the sound of footsteps, running away. The boar stands in the open doorway with bits of wood embedded in its tusks, shaking its head.

"Well that solves that problem," Timmins says with a smile. He pats the big half-orc druid on the shoulder.

"That was amazing!" Brutus exclaims with his mouth agape.

"We should go after them or they'll warn the others," Wieland suggests.

Aureus moves into the short corridor and searches it for any traps. Once she gets to the other side she looks back and gives a thumbs up to the others. "It's all clear."

JustinCase said:
OOC: Spontaneously casting Summon Nature's Ally IV to summon a dire boar (with Augmented Nature's Ally it has an added +4 to Strength and Constitution).

It obviously triggers any traps in the hall and charges the door:
Dire boar: 1D20+12+2 = [20]+12+2 = 34 (crit?)
1D8+12+2 = [8]+12+2 = 22


crit confirmation: 1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (I think that's a success versus the door?)
Additional damage: D8 = [8] = 8


I suspect that door is destroyed. :D


OOC: Current combat stats Caerth:
AC 20
HP 58/58

Spells:
Level 0: (6) create water (x2), detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1: (5) cure light wounds (x2), entangle, speak with animals, obscuring mist
Level 2: (4) lesser restoration, barkskin, gust of wind, warp wood
Level 3: (4) call lightning, cure moderate wounds, plant growth, dominate animal
Level 4: (3) scrying, ice storm

Wild Shapes (small, medium, large): 2/3
OOC: That is an awesome use of summon nature's ally! Ad hoc bonus of 100 XP! :D
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods to the dwarf’s suggestion, then speaks some words in a language none of the others understand.

The druid holds his bow at the ready, arrow in one hand, and starts after the fleeing cultists.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"The beast is faster then men. Send it after them!" Maur orders "Good job!"
Caerth nods to the dwarf’s suggestion, then speaks some words in a language none of the others understand.
The dire boar steps through the doorway and then sniffs the air. The steps of the fleeing cultists make it turn towards the south. A fleeing cultist is still only 30 feet away from the broken door. The man barely has time to look back once the animal charges towards him. The large animal slams into the man and gores him horribly. The man screams in pain and nearly collapses under the weight of the animal.

"Pritchard, help me!" The man yells but the other man doesn't even look back.

OOC: Ah, I didn't realize that the dire boar was a Large animal until just right now. It makes sense since it ripped through that door like it was paper. So, the dire boar takes up the entire ten-foot space beyond the doorway before it charges the cultist. I'll post an updated map.

Dire Boar - Charge attack vs. Cultist #1: 1D20+14+2 = [3]+14+2 = 19
1D8+14 = [3]+14 = 17
(hit!)


JustinCase said:
The druid holds his bow at the ready, arrow in one hand, and starts after the fleeing cultists.
Once beyond the broken door, Caerth can see that the corridor extends 40 feet to the north and, at least, 60 feet to the south (to the extent of his darkvision). The half-orc druid watches with pride as the summoned dire boar gores the cultist closest to him. The dire boar now stands partially in front of a closed wooden door. He cannot see much beyond the large animal's backside.

The corridor is eerily dark with no obvious light sources. How are these cultists seeing in the dark? They appear to be human, after all. At least two cultists are fleeing to the south of him (*) and other stands adjacent to a closed wooden door at the end of the corridor to the north. That man is trying to hide in the shadows not realizing that Caerth can see him. He has a heavy mace at ready in his hand and carries a small steel shield. Another closed wooden door is roughly 20 feet away from Caerth to the north along the corridor's eastern wall.

On the floor in front of Caerth is a dropped crossbow and steel shield that the boar has crushed under its hooves.

OOC: Note that for Caerth, beyond his darkvision range, he cannot see anything. The torchlight only provides half of the illumination of what the boar can see with its low-light vision. I'm assuming Caerth would end his movement just beyond the shattered door in order to get a clear picture of his surroundings. That would be 20 feet of movement. *Caerth can only see the upper torso of the second fleeing cultist due to the dire boar's size.

Caerth can shoot any of the cultists with his composite longbow but the ones to the south have Soft Cover (+4 to AC) from the dire boar. Plus, cultist #1 is in melee with the dire boar, so Caerth must take the penalty for firing into melee if he wants to finish the man off. The cultist to the north has no cover or concealment.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth grins as he knows that the dire boar will keep the cultists to the south busy for a while. Sometimes fear of being stalked makes a prey reckless, so the half-orc druid decides to focus his attention elsewhere first.

Taking aim at the cultist hidden somewhat to the north, Caerth lets loose an arrow. It misses by a long shot.

"I see you," he growls, hoping to provoke his target.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth grins as he knows that the dire boar will keep the cultists to the south busy for a while. Sometimes fear of being stalked makes a prey reckless, so the half-orc druid decides to focus his attention elsewhere first.

Taking aim at the cultist hidden somewhat to the north, Caerth lets loose an arrow. It misses by a long shot.

"I see you," he growls, hoping to provoke his target.

The arrow breaks against the side of the corridor.

Soon, Quinn has rushed forward to stand next to Caerth. "Where are they?" His eyes trying to see through the shadowy light beyond the dire boar. He has his chain at the ready.

The cultist gored by the boar retreats beyond the beast's tusks. Caerth watches as the man rushes by the other cultist (named Pritchard) and disappears into a perpendicular corridor that is hard to see even with the half-orc's darkvision.

Wieland moves forward through Brutus, Maur, and Timmins holding his sickle in one hand and the torch in the other. His shield is strapped to his back. He stops just in front of Timmins and light increases the illumination in the corridor beyond. Brutus follows suit, moving through Phar, to move into the short corridor. He takes up a position right behind Caerth. He, the druid, and Quinn make up quite the imposing trio.

Aureus pulls her cloak over her head and slips into the corridor and quickly tries to disappear into the shadowy light. She moves quickly, risking being spotted for speed. She quietly draws her composite longbow and hopes to get a shot at the cultist before he sees her. However, her foot scrapes against the wall of the corridor. The cultist's eyes dart towards her.

"Dog dung," she curses quietly. She takes aim and fires her bow. She grins as her arrow sinks deep into the man's side. "Ha! I still got you!"

OOC: Aureus - Hide and Move Silently (full speed [-5]): 1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29; 1D20+10 = [1]+10 = 11 | Cultist #3 - Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23; 1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11 | Aureus - Composite Longbow: 1D20+13 = [16]+13 = 29 (hit); Aureus - Composite Longbow (damage): 1D8+3 = [7]+3 = 10

Timmins moves forward past Wieland and turns towards the cultist to the north, directed by the others. He stops behind Aureus to her right. He hadn't expect the foe to be beyond the reach of his blade. He decides against moving forward, instead choosing to guard the hutaakan rogue's back. He immediately regrets his action as he watches the cultist flee through the door at the end of the hall.

Meridith moves forward with great speed. Her skill as a ranger quickens her pace. But when she reaches the corridor, all she sees is her allies, the dire boar, and a open door to the north that is being closed from the other side. "We must not lose them!"
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur moves up, his companions rushing around him like water around the stone. He walks up to the group and looks on both sides, his superior darkvision piercing the gloom.

"We already lost them. Don't rush out. We cannot split in this place. I suggest going left, there is the door, still swinging. Gods only know what's in the hall, but turning halls usually lead to either many doors or stairs. We don't need their barracks. And we don't want to go up or down until we clear things behind us."
 
Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top