log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar considers letting the dwarf go ahead of him, but decides to move forward and join the other in the long corridor. He turns towards where Aureus had disappeared and sees her standing 15 feet away from a wooden door to the north. Timmins stands near the paragon elf wizard and another wooden door flanks the corridor on the eastern side. He watches as the north door begins to swing shut.

"How many," he asks Aureus.

"There was only one of them in the corridor," the female hutaakan rogue replies. I don't know how many are in that room. "The floor here is slanted down a bit."

Maur moves up, his companions rushing around him like water around the stone. He walks up to the group and looks on both sides, his superior darkvision piercing the gloom.

"We already lost them. Don't rush out. We cannot split in this place. I suggest going left, there is the door, still swinging. Gods only know what's in the hall, but turning halls usually lead to either many doors or stairs. We don't need their barracks. And we don't want to go up or down until we clear things behind us."
Maur finds himself in between Phar and Caerth with Meridith next to him and Quinn next to the big druid. Brutus watches Caerth's back from just inside the short corridor. Timmins stands just ahead and to the right of Phar and Aureus stands twenty feet in front of the elf wizard. The dwarf hears Aureus comment about the floor of the corridor and can she is right. The corridor beyond the west-facing door does indeed slope down, slightly. Maybe 2-1/2 to 5 feet by fist glance from his position. He readies himself to move forward, but he soon hears a loud incantation coming from the southern half of the corridor.

"Someone's casting a spell!" Quinn exclaims to those who might not have heard.

Maur can tell the source is on the other side of the summoned dire boar, but the large animal blocks his view. He can tell right away that it is an attack spell. Then there is a loud cacophony of noise that seems to be centered on the summoned animal. The burst doesn't reach as far of Caerth and Quinn, but the boar squeals in agony. It seems unsteady on its feet.

OOC: Cultist casts sound burst on dire boar: Sonic Damage: 1D8 = [8] = 8 |
Dire Boar - Fortitude Save: 1D20+10 = [4]+10 = 14 (failed) [stunned for 1 rd.]

Then there is the sound of retreating footfalls.
-------------------------------
END OF ROUND ONE
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"So, there is life downthere. And I take it it is some brave apprentice, risking his life with low power spell, trying to deter us from coming down there. Now question is, is he there, a brave selfless soul in the evil cult. Or was he sent by his superior as some kind of desperate gambit? Let us go there and find out."

OOC: second level spell - and dangerous with stun effect. Maybe we should clear it out first? My first instinct is still to go north, but I won't argue with clearing our backs.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"So, there is life downthere. And I take it it is some brave apprentice, risking his life with low power spell, trying to deter us from coming down there. Now question is, is he there, a brave selfless soul in the evil cult. Or was he sent by his superior as some kind of desperate gambit? Let us go there and find out."

OOC: second level spell - and dangerous with stun effect. Maybe we should clear it out first? My first instinct is still to go north, but I won't argue with clearing our backs.
The dwarf paladin is soon standing right behind the animal next to the closed door on the western wall of the corridor. He is tempted to check the door's lock, but instead peers around the dazed animal. His darkvision shows him that the man who fled is disappearing down the southern corridor. He didn't move into the eastern corridor. The cultist is 50 feet away and looks to be in full flight mode.

Cearth watches Maur take the lead towards the dire boar. "I guess we're going this way," the half-orc druid says. He steps up next to the dwarf and peers around the dire boar. He can't see the cultists anymore, so he check on the boar. "He'll be okay in a second."

Quinn moves forward slightly to back up the two warriors. He stays back 5 feet just in case another spell goes off. "We need to make sure we aren't caught bunched up together."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth and Muar soon hear footfalls receding away down the perpendicular side corridor and then an echoing voice saying, "Intruders! Go, destroy them."

Wieland moves forward to the, now, open doorway next to Brutus with the torch extended out into the corridor.

"What in the name of Malotoch is going on out here!" The door next to Maur opens, spilling red light into the corridor, and the dwarf is soon face to face with a cultist on the other side of the door. The man looks at the dire boar, swears, and immediately readies his heavy mace. "Prelate, we have intruders!"

Beyond the cultist is a 30 foot by 20 foot room that is devoid of furnishings except a brazier sitting in the center of the room. The walls are decorated with unsettling frescos depicting images of cannibalism. There is 4-ft. tall statue of the demoness crow, Malotoch, standing at the far side of the room. Kneeling in front of the statue is a priest dressed in more regal, and disturbing, garb than the cultist. Another cultists stands against the southern wall, looking towards the open door.

The kneeling man speaks first before getting to his feet. "Well, kill them, you fools."

The cultist against the southern wall does his leader's bidding. He moves up to block the doorway, while unslinging his heavy mace, and then tries to bash Maur's head in.

OOC: Cultist attacks Maur: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
1D8+1 = [2]+1 = 3
(miss)

The cultist that open the doored moved to the door, and opened it. Then, he readied his mace. I'm assuming opening the door is a standard action but I think he should be able to get his weapon ready too. The other cultist was standing, so he moves to the open door and attacks Maur awkwardly through the open door.

(Maur's AC is 2 higher due to the doorframe being in the way. The same is true for the dire boar and the cultists.)

The prelate gets up from being in a prone position and readies his mace.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur smiles grimly at the tableau. "You're gonna like this. Moradin sends his greetings."

Maur presents his shield, showing Moradins anvil and calls upon His favor. Sparkling rain starts in the middle of the room, dampening down flames and drenching the statue and the cultists.

Ooc: holy storm, 2d6 damage per round to evil creatures, non-magical fires go out and magical and protected ones have 50%. Covers entire room :) lasts 6 rounds.
Maur didnt move so he's at AC 24
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Brutus seems unsure what he should do to help as he steps out into the corridor. He looks for a foe to fight, but only sees his allies. Quinn notes the young half-ogre's puzzlement and motions for him to stand next to him. "More villains in that room, but we best stand back until we have some room. We don't want to be stepping all over each other," Quinn suggests.

The young bruiser nods in understanding and holds his axe, ready to charge forward once there is room to maneuver.

Aureus moves back towards the others and stops next to Phar and shakes her head. "If there was more space, I could tumble through to the other side." Instead, she readies her composite longbow and takes aim towards the doorway. "Fur fungus! I can't see a target!'

"Just wait for an opening," Phar says.

Timmins sheathes his sword and chooses to move up just behind Quinn. He readies his shortbow and waits for an opportunity to shoot a foe that presents himself.

Meridith muses and decides Quinn is right. The group has become too bunched together and she moves back into the short corridor next to her cousin. She keeps her shortbow ready but senses the others in the lead can handle these foes.

Phar considers his options. Any attack spell he casts would put Maur and Caerth in danger. There isn't enough room for him to fly above the others, and the gladiator's words ring true. If the cultists were to cast another area spell, too many of them might be caught in the blast. He casts a cantrip on himself to add a bit of protection.

OOC: It is too far away for Aureus to double move and tumble through (at half-speed) the opponents into the room. She could try it a full speed, but with a -10, which would be next to impossible, even for her. At the angle she's at with her bow, there is no chance she can hit either of the cultists in the doorway.

Timmins sheathes his sword as a move action and then readies his bow as part of his move action forward. I checked and even with Quick Draw, he can't sheath his sword as a free action. So, he can only move and prepare to fire.

Phar casts resistance on himself.


Maur smiles grimly at the tableau. "You're gonna like this. Moradin sends his greetings."

Maur presents his shield, showing Moradins anvil and calls upon His favor. Sparkling rain starts in the middle of the room, dampening down flames and drenching the statue and the cultists.

Ooc: holy storm, 2d6 damage per round to evil creatures, non-magical fires go out and magical and protected ones have 50%. Covers entire room :) lasts 6 rounds.
Maur didnt move so he's at AC 24
The heavy rain pours down and the two cultists next to Maur yell in discomfort. The prelate grimaces and hisses in anger, as the flames in the brazier are snuffed out.

OOC: Holy Storm damage: 2D6 = [1, 2] = 3

END OF ROUND TWO
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses under his breath. There's just too little room!

"Sorry," he mutters as the half-orc druid pushes his way past Maur and, shoving the closest yelling cultist aside, moves into the room.

OOC: Moving past/through Maur or the boar shouldn't be much of a problem. Next, I guess an Overrun against cultist 4a, so Caerth can move forward into the room.

First, the cultist can make an AoO against Caerth. Secondly, he can choose to Avoid Caerth, and if he does, Caerth can still attack. If he doesn't Avoid, an opposed Strength (or Dexterity) check: Strength: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

Other steps depend on the cultist's Avoid/Block and Str/Dex roll.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Moving past/through Maur or the boar shouldn't be much of a problem. Next, I guess an Overrun against cultist 4a, so Caerth can move forward into the room.

First, the cultist can make an AoO against Caerth. Secondly, he can choose to Avoid Caerth, and if he does, Caerth can still attack. If he doesn't Avoid, an opposed Strength (or Dexterity) check: Strength: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
OOC: There is a storm inside, Caerth isn't evil so shouldn't be too much of a problem. But why 'eat' two OA just to get in? I had such a lovely choke point set up.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: EDIT: Whoops! I posted on the wrong thread....
Cultists AoOs against Caerth: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21
1D8+1 = [2]+1 = 3
1D8+1 = [8]+1 = 9

So, the 4a cultist that Caerth is attempting to overrun doesn't hit Caerth with his AoO, but the other cultist, who also gets an AoO, does hit Caerth for 9 damage.

The 4a cultist does try to block Caerth's advance. Here's his Strength check...
Cultist - Strength check: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9 (failed)

So, Caerth knocks the cultist prone and ends his movement anywhere on the other side up to his standard movement. Note that using overrun counts as a standard action. @JustinCase, are you going to go right at the prelate?
 
Last edited:


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth curses under his breath. There's just too little room!

"Sorry," he mutters as the half-orc druid pushes his way past Maur and, shoving the closest yelling cultist aside, moves into the room.
Caerth easily pushes through the cultists into the room, but one of the men manages to slam his heavy mace into Caerth's side as he does. The blow is a vicious one, but it was worth it. The other cultist ends up on his back with Maur menacing over him.

The dire boar snaps out of its stunned stupor and turns and slams its tusks into the wall and doorframe next to the cultist who hit Caerth. While the wall holds against the onslaught of the large animal, the door's frame is sundered and the door itself falls off onto the floor next to the cultist.

Quinn sees an opportunity to move forward and help the dwarf paladin. He moves in behind Maur and attacks the standing cultist with his spiked chain over the dwarf's head. Even at a angle through the awkwardness of the shattered doorframe, the big gladiator manages to whip his chain through and smack the cultist in the chest.

OOC: Dire Boar vs. Wall (DC 35) and Wooden Door (23): 1D20+14 = [13]+14 = 27 | Square directly south of the cultist, that hit Caerth, now cost two squares to move through.

Quinn - Spiked Chain Attack: 1D20+15 = [14]+15 = 29
2D4+7 = [2, 2]+7 = 11
(hit!)

@JustinCase, remember that Caerth is now wearing the rhino hide and his movement is only 20 feet. He won't quite make it to the prelate this round.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A sinister noise echoes through the corridor from the other side of the dire boar. It seems fearful as something comes at it in the gloom. Then it squeals in pain and shifts on its hooves, uneasy.

Quinn tries to see around it, and catches a glimpse of something terrible. There is a terrible smell as well.

"What is that horrible smell?" Brutus asks.

The cultist on his back curses at the half-orc druid. He gets back to his feet and swings his mace feebly at Maur, but leaves himself open to the dwarven paladin. The other cultist beside him tries to smack the dire boar with his mace but only hits the stone wall.

The prelate looks at the summoned rain and then glares at Caerth. He incants vile words to his demonic goddess and ends the spell with the word, "Cease." A burst of antimagic rushes through the room and the holy storm ends as quickly as it began. He looks at Caerth and smiles, "Your dwarf friend with have to do better than that, my child."

"What the-" Quinn says. "The dire boar disappeared!"

"Are those?" Brutus asks.

"Ghouls!"

The prelate laughs.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Brutus seizes the opportunity to rush forward and help the dwarf and Quinn. He takes up a spot next to Maur to bock up the doorway and attacks the cultist on the other side. His great axe digs deep into the man's shoulder, and if it hadn't been for the doorframe, the young half-ogre would have cleaved the cultist in two. He keeps one eye on the approaching ghouls.

Then he watches in satisfaction as an arrow thumps into the ghoul's chest.

"Ha, got it!" Aureus says with satisfaction. "We'll try to keep them off you," she shouts to Maur.

Timmins takes a step and fires two arrows from his bow at the other ghoul. Unfortunately, the arrows hit the wall and not the undead creature. "Blast it!" He curses.

Meridith steps out of the short corridor and takes aim with her own bow. She aims around the hutaakan rogue and over Maur and Brutus. She lets loose and her arrow thumps into the ghouls head. It crumples to the floor of the corridor, the evil magic that held it together extinguished.

"Nice shot," Aureus compliments.

"Thanks."
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur thinks about going inside to help Caerth against the priest...but if he leaves the door while the two cultists stand he exposes the rest of the group. Gritting his teeth, he goes laying about with his warhammer, heavy implement thudding into weak armor of the cultists.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maur thinks about going inside to help Caerth against the priest...but if he leaves the door while the two cultists stand he exposes the rest of the group. Gritting his teeth, he goes laying about with his warhammer, heavy implement thudding into weak armor of the cultists.

As the prone cultists stands, the warhammer almost knocks him back down. He manages to stay on his feet. The other cultist's chainmail buckles under the weight of the dwarf paladin's crushing blow, followed by the man's ribs. He tries to gasp for air but only gurgles and falls down in a heap.

The prelate watches the man fall, impassively.

END OF ROUND THREE
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Dispell this," Caerth mutters angrily as he steps forward, stabbing at the prelate twice with his magical spear. The second thrust is clumsy, and the half-orc curses in frustration.

The first strike pierces the prelates defenses and his shoulder. The cultist winces in pain but his deadly resolve is eerie. Caerth can tell this man is a fanatic.

Quinn steps up next to Brutus and he lashes out with his spiked chain at the approaching ghoul. The chain scraps awkwardly against the wall of the corridor and nearly embeds in the stone, and Quinn feet shift uncomfortable on the floor. The big gladiator lashes out a second time and this time the chain takes the ghouls head off. But, Quinn can't recover his footing and his fall on his face. "Oof!"

Wieland moves forward with the light to stand behind Maur.

 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The man facing Maur watches his ally fall. He steps back and away from the dwarf just far enough to allow him to cast a defensive spell on himself. Maur immediately know the man has cast shield of faith, as shimmering magical field forms around the man.

The prelate counters against Caerth. He manages to hit a glancing blow against the druid's arm.

Brutus considers stepping through the door overtop of the dead cultist but decides to heave his greataxe at the man instead. The young warrior overestimates his agility and underestimates that the doorway is still in the way. The axe's handle hits part of the doorway as half-ogre releases it, and the weapon ends up on the floor in front of Maur.

"That didn't work," he says despondently. "So much to learn."

A guttural sound rises from down the southern corridor, as two more ghouls rush around the corner. The cultist guard who had fled that way, reemerges just behind them. As he rounds the corner, he seems to waving on someone behind him to join the fight. "We cannot let them breech beyond the intersection... to arms!"

"It seems we have them all stirred up like a nest of angry insects," Aureus says. "We must swat them."

The hutaakan rogue fires two arrows at the lead ghoul and the first thumps into its head. The second deflects off the ceiling. Timmins and Meridith fire their own bows, as well. The shots from the old soldier put the first ghoul down, barely. Meridith aims with precision, despite the distance, and hits the other ghoul.

 
Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top