log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Justice will not be denied." states Quinn coldly as me moves over the pile of dead cultists.

The cultist in front of him dodges and ducks erraticaly causing the application of skill to the attack to be nothing more then a glancing blow, and it too was just barely made by a chance act in the chaos of battle. the damage was barely enough to have drawn blood with a lesser weapon.
OOC: LOL, it is a wonder you hit at all - and we already commented on the sharpness of cruel justice


"You will have to kill me first!" He shouts in defiance.
Maur eyes the cultist in front of him.
"Request granted. May Moradin have mercy on your soul, because your goddess will not."

 

log in or register to remove this ad


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maur eyes the cultist in front of him.
"Request granted. May Moradin have mercy on your soul, because your goddess will not."
Maur's hammer strikes slam into the cultists... easily bypassing the man's defenses both mundane and magical. The ordained champion hear bones crack as the first strike slams into the man's torso. The second strike is a upper cut that cracks the man's head back. The man looks ready to fall...

OOC: 20% Miss Chance for Maurs Attacks vs the Cultist with Veil of Shadows: 1D100 = [38] = 38; 1D100 = [21] = 21

"Justice will not be denied." states Quinn coldly as me moves over the pile of dead cultists.

The cultist in front of him dodges and ducks erratically causing the application of skill to the attack to be nothing more then a glancing blow, and it too was just barely made by a chance act in the chaos of battle. the damage was barely enough to have drawn blood with a lesser weapon.
Quinn catches the man unware as he reels from Maur's attacks. Cruel Justice slashes deep into the man's shoulder. The cultist seems unsteady on his feet. It's hard to tell with the inky darkness surrounding the man. Quinn can't see his face but he can see blood dripping on the floor of the corridor below the man's feet.

OOC: End of Round 12
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth barks at the closest bear, ordering it to keep Hirasean low. The animal pounces on the cultists' champion, attempting to hold him there. Meanwhile the other bear keeps harassing the other cultists.

The half-orc then turns towards the fleeing bard and, holding out Kang, instinctively reaches out with the magical dagger's magic.

"Stay!" he intones, and the word seems to have power ingrained in it.

OOC: Bear 1 attempts a grapple on Hirasean.
Step 1: Attack of Opportunity for Hisarean against the bear, with -4 because of prone. If that misses or does not deal damage, continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Melee touch attack to start the grapple: 1D20+8+2 = [9]+8+2 = 19 (I added the +2 later)
Step 3: (free action) It's an opposed grapple check! Grapple check bear: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22 (Does that get the +2 from Maur, too?)
So Hirasean needs to beat 22 (in case of tie, he must have a better grapple modifier than +8 ) in order to not be grappled.
In addition, a succesful grapple means Hirasean takes damage: 1D4+6 = [4]+6 = 10

(If you follow the link to my rolls, you'll see rolled a full attack, but I think that's wrong. I took the first attack and damage roll.)

Bear 2 attacks the cultist now next to him:
1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19
1D4+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+10 = [14]+10 = 24
1D4+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+13 = [2]+13 = 15
1D4+5 = [4]+5 = 9


Caerth casts Hold Person from Kang at the bard; range 100 ft + 10/level; Will save DC 12.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth barks at the closest bear, ordering it to keep Hirasean low. The animal pounces on the cultists' champion, attempting to hold him there. Meanwhile the other bear keeps harassing the other cultists.

OOC: Bear 1 attempts a grapple on Hirasean.
Step 1: Attack of Opportunity for Hisarean against the bear, with -4 because of prone. If that misses or does not deal damage, continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Melee touch attack to start the grapple: 1D20+8+2 = [9]+8+2 = 19 (I added the +2 later)
Step 3: (free action) It's an opposed grapple check! Grapple check bear: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22 (Does that get the +2 from Maur, too?)
So Hirasean needs to beat 22 (in case of tie, he must have a better grapple modifier than +8 ) in order to not be grappled.
In addition, a successful grapple means Hirasean takes damage: 1D4+6 = [4]+6 = 10

(If you follow the link to my rolls, you'll see rolled a full attack, but I think that's wrong. I took the first attack and damage roll.)
Hirasean tries to keep the bear from grabbing a hold of him, but his position on the ground puts him at a disadvantage as he tries to slam his gauntlet on the bear's snout. The bear slams into him and knocks the man's head back. The bear growls and the Champion of Malotoch does what he can to keep the bear's teeth away from his face.

OOC: Hirasean - AoO with Gauntlet: 1D20+10-4 = [6]+10-4 = 12
1D3+3 = [2]+3 = 5
(miss)
Hirasean - Grapple check: 1D20+10 = [8]+10 = 18 (lost)

I'm not sure if the +2 for Recitation counts for the grapple, but I'm going to assume it does count. (It makes sense.) So, the bear's grapple check is 24. (It didn't matter since I rolled terrible for Hirasean.) However, the bear doesn't do claw damage, it does unarmed strike damage based on its size plus its strength modifier, so 1d3+6 instead of 1d4+6. since you rolled for max. damage, I'm going to assume the bear did 9 points of damage instead of 10. (And, I think the damage is considered nonlethal damage.)

Note that in any following rounds (assuming Hirasean doesn't escape the bear's hold), the bear can either make an natural attack (with a -4 penalty to hit) against Hirasean to do lethal damage (1d4+6) or make an opposed grapple check to deal nonlethal damage (1d3+6), and it gets one attempt (based on its +2 BAB) to do so without any penalty to the grapple check.

Neither the bear nor Hirasean threaten any squares around them while grappling. Neither of them has their Dexterity bonus vs. opponents not involved in grappling.

JustinCase said:
The bear's instincts and nose defeat the magic swirling around the cultist. Its claws slash into the man and he goes down quickly and painfully. The bear stands triumphantly over the man as the magic dissipates. Maur can see the fallen cultist is bloody mess and quite dead.

OOC: 20% Miss Chance: 1D100 = [98] = 98; 1D100 = [22] = 22

JustinCase said:
The half-orc then turns towards the fleeing bard and, holding out Kang, instinctively reaches out with the magical dagger's magic.

"Stay!" he intones, and the word seems to have power ingrained in it.

OOC: Caerth casts Hold Person from Kang at the bard; range 100 ft + 10/level; Will save DC 12.
Caerth moves out of the western corridor into the corner where it meets the southern corridor. He can see the bard at the edge of his darkvision, as well as the other cultist who fled 20 feet away from him. He ignores the cultist standing next to him as the man tries to hit Caerth with his mace. It is a feeble attempt. While these cultists are mildly dangerous with numbers, they are pitiful foes one on one.

Caerth brings Kang to bear and whispers the Orcish command word on the adamantine stiletto's hilt. The magic fails to grasp the bard's mind. Her mind is strong than Kang's magic.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wieland does what Timmins suggests and stays by his cousin's side. The woman remains motionless for a few a few seconds more. Meanwhile, Brutus rushes into the brazier room and finds and picks up his axe.

The cultist facing off against Timmins carefully tries to cast a spell on the old fighter. As he grabs hold of his holy symbol of Malotoch, the chain around his neck snaps and he drops the symbol of his goddess on the floor of the corridor. Timmins lets out a belly laugh that echoes through the corridor.

The two cultists facing off against Angus use the same tactic against the centaur. The three cultists obviously had a plan once they came through the double doors. It is a poor tactic and Angus is soon laughing at them too.

Aureus snaps out of her stunned state but her sensitive ears are still ringing. She picks up her bow and fires a shot down towards the cultist who dropped his holy symbol. Her shot avoids Timmins and slams into the man's chest. Timmins follows up her shot with two quick slashes from his longsword. The first attack misses but the second nearly takes the cultist's head off. The blade sinks deep into the man's upper chest and slices off the shaft of Aureus's arrow.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hirasean is angry. This is not the death he was promised. He uses all his strength to wrestle with the animal and is glad he has both his hands free. He knows he only has moments before the dwarf will be on him. But, that would be a good death. He should have stood and fought to the death. Maybe the dwarven champion will let him die on his feet. He tries to push away from the bear but his maneuver is a poor one.

"Perhaps Malotoch is the wrong goddess," he mumbles to himself.

OOC: Hirasean - Grapple check: 1D20+10 = [4]+10 = 14 | The rolls are not with me today. :rolleyes:
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: During the chaos of battle, Angus sees something; the DM has graciously allowed me an immediate action to convey this.


Angus spots a moving figure, barely perceptible, in the glowing red light that is spilling into the hallway. He decides to warn everyone.

Angus yells, "Thaer's a'faegure, royt thaere, a'moovin' around in tha layet. A'barely sore it, but et's thaere, almost aenvesable! Beware!"

Angus points with his blade to the spot where he saw the figure.

There's a figure, right there, moving around in the light. I barely saw it, but it's there, almost invisible! Beware!
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: During the chaos of battle, Angus sees something; the DM has graciously allowed me an immediate action to convey this.


Angus spots a moving figure, barely perceptible, in the glowing red light that is spilling into the hallway. He decides to warn everyone.

Angus yells, "Thaer's a'faegure, royt thaere, a'moovin' around in tha layet. A'barely sore it, but et's thaere, almost aenvesable! Beware!"

Angus points with his blade to the spot where he saw the figure.

There's a figure, right there, moving around in the light. I barely saw it, but it's there, almost invisible! Beware!
Once Aureus's ears stop ringing, she manages to hear the centaur shouting out... something. There is a sense of dread to his tone but Aureus cannot understand what he is saying. She turns to Wieland. "Did you understand any of that?"

"Understand... what?" He asks as he hovers near Meridith. "I didn't hear anything."

The stunned woman holds hers hands to her ears but is her eyes are on Aureus. She heard but her mind is still reeling.

Aureus looks back towards Timmins and then down the southern corridor towards Quinn and Maur. "Something has happened," she yells out to Maur and Quinn. "Did you hear the centaur shouting?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth heard the centaur clearly, but he has no idea what Angus just shouted.

"What?" he yells back, gripping his dagger more tightly, ready for anything but keeping his eyes on the fleeing bard.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Listen; Wisdom: 1D20+4-10 = [11]+4-10 = 5; 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17

Between bears growling and the cultists running around and yelling to each other, Maur sees only one thing. The champion of the cult is still alive. Not long, if the bear holds out, but he knows such spells don't last long.

He steps toward Hilrasean, hoping the bear will hold out for few heartbeats more as he finishes off the cultist in the shadows. First swing connects heavily and the one following immediately after flies through the empty shadows as the cultist slumps dead under the swing. The shadows dissipate with the life energy of the fallen.

TL;DR: hits cultist AC 21 for 13 damage
 
Last edited:


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth heard the centaur clearly, but he has no idea what Angus just shouted.

"What?" he yells back, gripping his dagger more tightly, ready for anything but keeping his eyes on the fleeing bard.
While Caerth can clearly hear the centaur, he has no idea where the shouting came from as sound seems to echo constantly in these corridors. He notices Hirasean is struggling in vain to escape from the black bear. More than likely the bear will finish the enemy warrior off soon or Quinn and Maur will. He turns his attention back towards the bard just in time to watch her disappear out of sight. She is clearly not coming back into the fight.

Back at the intersection of the western and northern corridors, Meridith overcomes her stupor from the sound burst spell. "I heard him," she says as she picks up her bow and the torch off the floor.

"Did you understand what Angus said?" Aureus asks.

Meridith shakes her head.

"Mer, you're okay, right?" Wieland asks.

"I'm fine," she retorts with a glare.

"She's fine, go help Timmins," Aureus orders.

The young soldier nods and rushes down the northern corridor to fight alongside the older warrior. He risks the cultist's mace in order to get into a better fighting position. The cultist swings his mace but Wieland easily dodges the blow.

OOC: Wieland double moves. | Cultist - AoO on Wieland: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13; 1D8+1 = [1]+1 = 2
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus slices at the wounded cultist, but the wiley little cretin ducks under the blow just in time. Angus tries to bash his companion, but the other cultist manages to put his arms up in time, rolling with the blow, and comes out of the situation none the worse for wear.

Angus curses, "Raet fayerts!"

1489C4E6-6B8A-4784-9EA0-F1F6BD947953.jpeg


Translation: "Rat Farts!" :)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth can sense the cultist standing next to him is on his last legs. The man seems to know it too. Instead of continuing to flee he unties his his mace from his belt and swings it at Caerth in hopes of hurting the half-orc druid. Caerth can tell the man is on the defensive though.

The man can barely lift his weapon and his swing is so weak that Caerth has time to watch the other cultist down the corridor run away. The fleeing foe is soon out of sight.

OOC: Cultist is fighting defensively (-4 to attack; +2 to AC)
Cultist - Fighting Defensively with Heavy Mace: 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11
1D8+1 = [5]+1 = 6
(miss)

Listen; Wisdom: 1D20+4-10 = [11]+4-10 = 5; 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17

Between bears growling and the cultists running around and yelling to each other, Maur sees only one thing. The champion of the cult is still alive. Not long, if the bear holds out, but he knows such spells don't last long.

He steps toward Hirasean, hoping the bear will hold out for few heartbeats more as he finishes off the champion. The swing connects heavily as the champion stops moving under the bulk of the bear.

TL;DR: hits champion AC 21 for 13 damage
After Maur's hammer connects, Hirasean is knocked unconscious again. The bear continues to hold the fallen champion down and it growls at Maur as if to say, "my food."

'There is no way, he still lives thinks Quinn to himself as he advances towards the prone warrior. upon arrival he stabs and slashes at him hoping to end this once and for all.

+13+2[recitation]/1d6+4
Att, Dam: 1D20+15 = [14]+15 = 29;1D6+4 = [3]+4 = 7
Maur reaches Hirasean moments before Quinn can strike. The champion stops struggling and the bear becomes territorial.

"Hold," Cruel Justice says. "I will not be this man's executioner when he is unconscious. There is no honor in that. He and any of the others still left alive after the battle must be brought to justice for their crimes." The blade goes silent for a moment. "But if he should die while we deal with his allies, so be it."

OOC: Does Quinn still strike?
 

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Quinn submits to the code of honor, as he had doon in the arenas and moves on to another, more deserving target.

OOC: if I can move another 30 feet for a standerd action, he can move 1 square south east and 4 squares south for 25 foot movement


Quinn moves on to stand next to the druid and says, "go, I will deliver justice to this one"
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar comes back to his sense a moment before the cultist standing next to him. He has time to pick up his longsword and swings it at the man without remorse. He tried to lure him and Angus into a trap, so mercy is not on Phar's mind. The blade slices into the cultist's chest moment before man is no longer stunned.

The cultist gasps in pain and cutches at the wound. He notes that his mace and shield are on the floor by his feet and that he has little chance against Phar without his weapon. He moves away from both of them while drawing his dagger. Hopefully, he can get away without the paragon elf skewering him.

It turns out to be a grave mistake. Phar's natural skills take over and his blade is soon deep into the man's gut. The man goes down in the corridor. Phar turns to Angus and asks in Centaur, "Now, what did you just say? I didn't understand."

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The duergar, Xander, mentally curses his bad luck. He was trying to be so careful, but he bumped into the open door, which drew the eyes of the centaur. Xander was sure the horse man heard him but didn't see him, but the reverse seems to have been true. He knows he has only moments to get away. Luckily, he had had enough warning to gather a few of his belongings and cast both mage armor and invisibility on himself.

Xander needs to get away fast and trying to get past the centaur isn't an option. He bolts around the door, risking moving at top speed. His only hope is to get by the others in the northern corridor without them being able to block him or hear & see him. It's a risk moving quickly, but he senses the centaur would be a more dangerous foe.

He scurries past the young warrior and Aries first. He knows the veteran cultist won't give him away, as the plan he gave them was that he'd get behind these foes and fireball them from behind. Bah! Like he'd die for a few cultists. Anselm and Tarrak don't pay him enough for him to throw his life away against a bunch of adventurers.

Besides, Xander knows the Lords of Malotoch are already aware of what is going on and have prepared a surprise for these heroes. While they are storming the temple, rooks are on their way to attack Carnell itself. Xander knows that Tarrak will likely slip away before these invaders can get to him. Anselm has orders to stay and fight, but the Cleric of Works will likely flee too, if he hasn't already.

Xander also knows that once night falls, ghouls and ghasts will attack Carnell in force. If he can't get away from these foes, he will use the information to barter for his life.

Xander - Hide and Move Silently (Double Move while Invisible): 1D20+7+20-5 = [4]+7+20-5 = 26
1D20+11-5 = [5]+11-5 = 11 Pfft! :ROFLMAO:

DCs Before Distance Applied
Spot and Listen DCs to Notice: Spot > 26 -5 = DC 21, Listen > DC 11
Spot and Listen DCs to Locate: Spot > 41 - 5 = DC 36, Listen > DC 26

Angus: same as above.
— Angus cannot continue to locate Xander once the deurgar moves beyond where the centaur can see.

Timmins and Wieland: Spot > Notice: DC 26, Listen > DC 16; Locate: Spot > DC 42, Listen > DC 31
— Both Timmins and Wieland are distracted (+5 to DCs).

Phar and Meridith: Notice: Spot > DC 23, Listen > DC 13; Locate: Spot > DC 38, Listen > DC 28
— Phar cannot continue to locate Xander once the deurgar moves beyond where the paragon elf can see.

Aureus: Notice: Spot > DC 22, Listen > DC 12; Locate: Spot > DC 37, Listen > DC 27

Rolls on OOC thread.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus says, in Centaurian, "I saw someone moving over there, in the light! He must be hidden by magic! He is nearly invisible, I barely saw an outline of his shape!"

Angus points again with his blade at the last place he saw the figure.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus says, in Centaurian, "I saw someone moving over there, in the light! He must be hidden by magic! He is nearly invisible, I barely saw an outline of his shape!"

Angus points again with his blade at the last place he saw the figure.
Just as he points to where the figure was, it disappears into nothingness. Angus can clearly hear the foe moving around the open door and the down the north corridor, yet as the footfalls continue to recede away, the centaur cannot pinpoint their movement.

Phar looks to where the centaur is pointing and sees the shimmer in the light for just a second and can hear the foe moving too. "An invisible wizard, most likely. We must get through these cultists and stop them before they can cast again," Phar replies.

The invisible foe traverses past the fight in the north corridor easily. Wieland doesn't notice the foe's movement but Timmins does notice. "Lad, something just went by us! I couldn't see it but I heard it!"

"Really?" I didn't hear anything," Wieland replies.

"I hear him!" Aureus shouts. She closes her eyes and lets her ears guide her. "There you are!" She points at the foe just as he stops moving.

"I see him," Meridith says with surprise in her voice. She waves the sputtering torch in one hand and the foes forms shimmers in the reflection and contrast of the light cast from the torch and the red glow coming from the open double doors.

Then, the torches sputtering ceases and its light goes out.

"Damn!" Meridith swears. "Now I can't see anything!"

OOC: Phar - Spot and Listen check: 1D20+12 = [11]+12 = 23
1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25

The torch goes out, so there is only the red glow coming from the open double doors. That glow shines shadowy conditions out to 20 feet beyond the doorway, so Angus, Phar (†), Timmins, and Wieland are in shadowy illumination while Aureus and Meridith are in total darkness. Both Angus and Aureus have their 60 foot darkvision.
† The shadowy illumination is 40 feet for Phar due to his low-light vision.

Cruel Justice sheds bright light up to 10 feet, which means both Quinn and Caerth are in full light while Maur is in shadowy illumination. Both Caerth and Maur have their darkvision, so aren't affected by the reduced light up to 60 feet and 90 feet, respectively

End of Round 13
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top