log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Round 17
Fear continues to drive Eike to flee. He must get away. He rushes by both Maur and Xander with little concern for them. Xander ignores the man.

OOC: @Neurotic, Maur can make an AoO on the passing cultist if he wants, but then he won't get one against Xander. It seems from your post that Maur is trying to trick Xander into thinking he cast a spell on the duergar and it failed, so that when Xander moves away from Maur the next time he won't tumble and Maur will be able to hit him. Since Xander is both a rogue and wizard (thus, very canny), I want you to make a Bluff check.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maur looks at the surprisingly agile duergar with new respect.
"You're a tricky one, eh? Well, your champion took all of one hit, so...I don't need to make many 'licks' in."

Maur casts a spell...and...nothing happens. He looks for the moment into his shield with the holy symbol and then rushes after the escaping wizard. "Whu...!?"

"I didn't expect you to resist this, chaotic one."


Standard: cast Spike stones behind duergar and as far into the hall as possible (20x20 squares x 7 levels) :devil: 1d8 damage per 5' of movement, half speed, and Ref save DC 18 to have the speed halved again.

Rogue can spot the stones with Search DC 29 (full round action)
Also, IIRC, no tumbling into the difficult terrain?

Move: next to Xander, I believe I just reach him 1 diagonal and 3 'lefts'

Opportunity Attack vs Xander; damage: 1D20+13 = [17]+13 = 30; 1D8+7 = [5]+7 = 12
Behind Maur, Aureus moves up so she can keep an eye on Maur and the duergar. He may not want her help, but that doesn't mean she's not going to help him if he gets into trouble.

Xander raises an eyebrow in puzzlement. 'Chaotic? What is this dwarf talk-' Then it hits him. The dwarf thinks his morale leanings are like the cultists. Chaotic, wild, undisciplined. Well, he's going to be in a big surprise. The duergar waits until Maur closes the gap and then carefully casts his next spell. 'You're going to find me tough to hit even face to face.' He thinks.

His spell comes into effect, and Xander becomes a fuzzy blur in the dark. He grins to himself tries to dash away from Maur. Maur's hammer swings, which surprises Xander but the blur spell saves him from getting slammed into the wall.

"Tricky dwarf," Xander muses. "Now I know what you did. Nice try!"

Then, Xander steps into spike stones! "What the-!? Ow, damn it! You Sonnthord bastard! My feet! OW! OW! OW!"

 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Actually, it would only be 6 points of damage since his speed is cut in half by the first 5-ft. square he enters with the spike stones.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinn vs. Mortas:
Still reeling from Quinn's attacks with Cruel Justice, Mortas takes a step away from the ex-gladiator and considers his options. He could pretend to surrender and try to lull the man into dropping his guard, but if he gets it wrong, the big warrior will skewer him.

"Do not try to fool us, little man," Cruel Justice says. "I can see you eyes and face as clearly as if I had eyes myself. If you surrender, it better be genuine! NOW, drop your weapon!"

The blade's intuition surprises both Mortas and Quinn. The cultist grimaces and casts a healing spell on himself. He sets himself for Quinn's next attacks.

"To the death, then!"

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar hears the cultist scream at Quinn and turns to see two figures battling in the shadows beyond the red light of the forge. "Can you get him to surrender?" He asks Aries.

"I can try," the captured cultist replies, if you'll let me get back to my feet."

Phar looks at Timmins and nods. Timmins motions for Aries to get up. The man doesn't try to retrieve his weapon or shield from the floor as he stands. He quickly checks his wounds and nods to Timmins.

"You are a worthy foe, sir," Aries says to the old warrior. "My order could use someone like you."

He moves towards Phar and Timmins goes with him. He stares into the gloom and shakes his head. "I cannot see who it is..."

"But you fought us in the dark, they all did," Wieland says. "Why can't you see him?"

"Ah, they fought you in the dark. I did not go beyond the light of the forge," Aries notes. "If I may...?" he moves to reach into a pouch on his belt and Phar nods. He takes out a pair of goggles with dark lens and puts them over his eyes. Regardless, I am trained to fight in the dark. It is why my leaders chose me for this mission." He stares down the corridor again and shakes his head. "THAT... is Mortas. He is one of Tarrak's most loyal followers. I doubt he will surrender, but I will try."

He steps forward past Phar and yells out to the man. "Mortas, you need to listen to me! Do not throw your life away for Tarrak! Surrender and face justice with some sense of honor!"

"I heard what you said, traitor!
Mortas yells back. "Lord Tarrak will eat your flesh and Malotoch will claim your soul! I will kill this one and then I will kill you and take your dead flesh to my divine lord!"

Mortas shakes his head. "They are fanatics in the extreme. They've eaten so much human flesh that they're barely human anymore. It took all my guile to not have to do the same thing. But, there a few times that I ate food that was... rotting."

"Eww," Meridith says. She looks like she's going to be sick.
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"As you do not wish to live, and face judgement by the land's worthy judge, then the sword will be your judge, and I your executioner. 'To the death' you wish, then I will grant you your wish."

Quinn's first strike goes wild and Mortas manages to avoid Cruel Justice's sharp adamantine edge. Quinn's second strike is more accurate and the cultist's shield arm is gashed. The blow would hardly do any damage in another man's hands, but Quinn's strength causes the cut to be deep.

Quinn's verbal retort does more damage to the man's resolve than Cruel Justice does to Mortas's arm.

ScottDeWar_jr said:
OOC: Mortas - Level Check vs Quinn's Demoralize Opponent (DC 28): 1D20+4+3 = [19]+4+3 = 26 (failed)

So, Mortas is shaken for 1 round (-2 on attacks, saves, skill checks, and ability checks)
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus continues his assault on the badly-damaged ghoul. He doesn't bother talking, he knows that undead are notoriously uncaring, unfeeling, and mindlessly savage. He didn't know which undead stories were true, which where exaggerations, and which were mythical; but he did know one universal truth: take no chances, and put them down quickly. Maintaining his intense concentration, Angus lands another powerful blow against the ghoul.

799F7E1D-DE03-4CF6-AD5F-69A7E35A94C8.jpeg

OOC: Angus hits AC 18 for 10 pts. of damage.
 

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
"Need any help?" Phar offers Quinn. He hopes his friend will be less stubborn than the dwarf.
Being as Quinn is not a rock for brains, stubborn, bull headed dwarf, he responds with a shrug and says, "Well he chose to fight until he is dead, so perhaps we can show mercy and make it a quick death. I am honored by your help in bringing this to him"

A dark cold glint is seen in the gladiator's eyes, like looking into the eyes of a lion met on a hunt.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses in the orcish language - such a great tongue to use for the basest of words! - as he tries to cut down the ghouls that are battering him and the centaur.

As if Kang senses the druids intentions, the magical dagger helps him slip past the undeads defenses with ease. For good measure, Caerth swipes again to be sure his foes are down.

OOC: Full attack:
1D20+17 = [19]+17 = 36 (possible crit)
1D4+5 = [4]+5 = 9 damage
1D20+12 = [10]+12 = 22 (hit?)
1D4+5 = [1]+5 = 6 damage

Rolling to confirm critical on the first strike:
Crit confirmation: 1D20+17 = [8]+17 = 25 (I think that hits)
1D4 = [3] = 3 additional damage


Not sure if both ghouls are now down. If there is a counterattack (as described in the OOC), here are my Fortitude saves against paralysis and ghoul fever, respectively:
1D20+8 = [19]+8 = 27
1D20+8 = [18]+8 = 26

I think the Recitation bonus applies, too, but in either case Caerth easily saves against both. :)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth curses in the orcish language - such a great tongue to use for the basest of words! - as he tries to cut down the ghouls that are battering him and the centaur.

As if Kang senses the druids intentions, the magical dagger helps him slip past the undeads defenses with ease. For good measure, Caerth swipes again to be sure his foes are down.
Kang tears through the first ghoul's head with extreme effectiveness. Caerth wonders if Kang could have some sort of disruption ability. Or maybe it is Cearth's own strength that drove the point home, as the hole in the undead thing's skull is a big as Caerth's fist.

He turns and stabs at the second ghoul and the strike penetrates deep into what is left of its chest that Angus caved in previously. The ghoul staggers towards Angus and tries in vain to bite and use its claws. Then...

Angus continues his assault on the badly-damaged ghoul. He doesn't bother talking, he knows that undead are notoriously uncaring, unfeeling, and mindlessly savage. He didn't know which undead stories were true, which where exaggerations, and which were mythical; but he did know one universal truth: take no chances, and put them down quickly. Maintaining his intense concentration, Angus lands another powerful blow against the ghoul.

OOC: Angus hits AC 18 for 10 pts. of damage.
The blow slices the ghoul completely in half at the torso and it falls to the floor in three pieces. Its ichor stains the dark stones of the floor. It twitches once and Angus stabs it again... just to be sure.
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Now let's see how you will outpace me, duergar! Having spells is not enough when your opponent has spells AND weapons."
With a crash, the duergar is slammed into a wall next to him and the next hit catches him on the rebound.
"Surrender now or die!"

 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Eike seems to sense the danger he is in... the fear in his mind tries to push him through the spike stones, but he stops and his breathing calms. He looks around himself and reaches down to to the floor. He can feel the sharp stones under his feet. He sighs and looks back towards Xander and Maur.

"Damn you, Xander! You were supposed to help us!" The man has no more fight left in him.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Now let's see how you will outpace me, duergar! Having spells is not enough when your opponent has spells AND weapons."
With a crash, the duergar is slammed into a wall next to him and the next hit catches him on the rebound.
"Surrender now or die!"

The first strike cracks Xander's head back and Maur expects the duergar to fall. The roguish wizard manages to stay upright even after Maur's second strike. Maur can tell he has the duergar beaten and can see it on Xander's face. Then, Xander swiftly casts a spell and his feet lift off the ground.

He flies around the ordained champion while twisting in the air to try to avoid Maur's hammer. He catches Maur off guard. He flies out of the entryway and back into the corridor past Aureus. She has her bow in one hand and the other on her quiver. He looks down at Maur and shouts at the dwarf. "Are you done showing off yet!"

She watches as Xander lands 25 feet from her and disappear. She didn't see him cast a spell but there is the sound of wind rushing through the corridor. She nocks an arrow and takes aim at where he landed but doesn't fire. "He disappeared. Either he's invisible again or he teleported away." The hutaakan rogue's darkvision tells here the duergar hasn't teleported away. Instead, she tries to bluff Xander and hopes that Maur is canny enough to sense her deception. She purposely calls Maur by a different name in hopes he understands. "Yes, I think he's teleported away somehow, but why didn't he do that right away. Not very smart. Unless, there in the forge room that prevents him from teleporting away. Bralmotir, what do you think?" Bluffing is not her strength, however.

 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods his thanks to Angus with the two dead ghouls at their feet, then hesitates.

They are a long way from the others, and perhaps Kangs bloodlust got a hold of him? Wearily the half-orc puts away the magical dagger, and takes an arrow to go with his big bow.

"Shall we go back?" the half-orc asks Angus, first in the Common tongue but repeating it in Sylvan, Orc, and even Druidic until the centaur seems to understand.

OOC: Not moving back yet; there's a big horseman in my way. ;)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Posting for @Tellerian Hawke who is busy at work right now. He rolled his attack and sent it to me through FB.
Caerth nods his thanks to Angus with the two dead ghouls at their feet, then hesitates.

They are a long way from the others, and perhaps Kangs bloodlust got a hold of him? Wearily the half-orc puts away the magical dagger, and takes an arrow to go with his big bow.

"Shall we go back?" the half-orc asks Angus, first in the Common tongue but repeating it in Sylvan, Orc, and even Druidic until the centaur seems to understand.

OOC: Not moving back yet; there's a big horseman in my way. ;)
Angus will smile and nod at Caerth, and say "Yeah, a'kenned thaet."

Caerth watches as the Harqualian centaur turns and charges up the corridor towards Quinn and last holdout among the cultists. He slams his sword into the cultist's shoulder who isn't able to swivel away from Quinn in time to block the blow with his shield. The strike leaves the man haggard, but he does not fall. He smiles evilly at Angus and seems to relish the thought of death. Either his or yours.

Yet, Quinn can tell Mortas' resolve is failing. Quinn's harsh words have demoralized the man. Could it still be possible to get him to surrender?

Mortas strikes out at Angus with his heavy mace, hoping to inflict a severe wound. The swing would have caught a lesser foe off guard but Angus manages to avoid the strike by rearing up.

"Justice first," Cruel Justice speaks telepathically to Quinn. "He had his chance to surrender."

OOC: Mortas - Attack vs Angus: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20 -2 = 18
1D8+1 = [6]+1 = 7 (miss)

"Yeah, I figured that out."
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top