log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Loremaster steps up to the guards.

"Good guard, do you really think that a ranking member of the Elite, even one in disfavor and such personages as this valiant knight or known guide through the city, not to mention myself, would bother you or attack the defensless woman? Look at the night outside. We came to the closest shelter to keep well-known murderer in safe-keeping, not to let him go. At least give us a benefit of a doubt. It can be easily checked later."

Rushed diplomacy: 1D20+24-10 = [17]+24-10 = 31
Init: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

OOC: Heh :) Diplomancer at work
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Loremaster steps up to the guards.

"Good guard, do you really think that a ranking member of the Elite, even one in disfavor and such personages as this valiant knight or known guide through the city, not to mention myself, would bother you or attack the defensless woman? Look at the night outside. We came to the closest shelter to keep well-known murderer in safe-keeping, not to let him go. At least give us a benefit of a doubt. It can be easily checked later."

Rushed diplomacy: 1D20+24-10 = [17]+24-10 = 31
Init: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

OOC: Heh :) Diplomancer at work
The guard sergeant relaxes his grip on Mani and listens to Akos words. His anger dissipates but he doesn't smile. Instead, he runs his fingers through his hair and then shakes his head. "Al'right, I might have overreacted, but you have to u-understand that we in the Regulars are all a bit frazzled. It's been a hard couple of m-months." Akos can see that the man is bleary-eyed and a bit unsteady on his feat.

The other guards nod and lower their swords.

"I told you to knock it off!" Vinccenzo takes a swing at Mani with the flat of his blade, but the doppelganger avoids the clumsy swing. "You're not going anywhere but to a cell!"

"Is she really a doppelganger?" a female guard asks.

OOC: Akos' roll makes the guard sergeant become Indifferent to the group while the other guards become Friendly.

"My name is Tuck," the kobold says hurriedly but politely, "And you are smart enough to know at least stories about doppelganger tricks, Anton."

The urban ranger hopes that knowing the name of one of these guards, if only because he once helped out a cousin of his with a rat infestation, can help build trust that they are, in fact, delivering a doppelganger.

OOC: Taking some liberties here, but I imagine an urban ranger who has helped people around the City for years, has a chance of knowing one of the guards. Right? ;)
Anton looks through the fog to try to find the face that goes with the voice. Then he sees the kobold and his smile disappears. "Your the one who helped my cousin. Those rats came back! You need to give the money back to him or finish the job!"

OOC: Okay, so Tuck's Diplomacy check wasn't great, but was mitigated by Akos roll. I'm going to say that Anton is only Indifferent to Tuck and Friendly to the others.

JustinCase said:
Mutt growls as Mani attempts to fool his way out of this situation. The dog understands little of the conversation, but it knows that a prey is trying to escape, and it cannot allow that to happen.
Mutt moves in next to Mani and nips at the doppelganger's butt. His teeth meet only air.

The doppelganger tries to shuffle away from the guard sergeant and the adventurers and slither out of the ropes Akos bound it with. It misjudges the location of the open door and knocks its head on the open door and falls over onto the ground.

"The gods hate me!" It screams in anger.



Tim's eyes narrow. He ignores the sergeant and other soldiers, speaking directly to Mani. "You know, Mani, I was willing to give you a chance. I spared you against my better judgment. But now, you are about to force my hand... Have you heard tell of terrible curses, bestowed by evil warlocks, which are only broken when the warlock who bestowed them dies? I wonder if the same goes for your disguises? If I paint you now, to use your terminology, will you still appear as a helpless old woman after your soul has departed this world? Do you want me to find out?"


OOC: Tim won't actually take action unless Mani gets loose from Vince.
As the doppelganger tries to stand back up, Tim steps forward and swings the flat of his greatsword over Tuck and Akos' head and tries to connect with the shapechanger. The blade misses but the big half-ogre brings his shield down on Mani's head, but doesn't put all his weight behind it.

The doppelganger goes down in a heap.

"Was that really necessary?" The sergeant asks. "She wasn't going anywhere."

"Sarge, look!" Anton gasps.

The visage of the old woman disappears and is replaced by the doppelganger's true form.

"I guess I am an effing dragon."

"We need to lock it up, quickly," Vinccenzo says. "And once this fog clears, word needs to be sent to the Lord Commander and The Five."

"Anton, Mariana, take that thing inside and lock it up!"

"Yes sir, Sarge," the woman replies. She and Anton pick up Mani with Vinccenzo's help and drag the doppelganger inside and through a wooden door into an enclosed area and dump Mani into a cell big enough for one person and lock it.

"She's not going anywhere," Anton notes.

Back in front of of the guard post, the sergeant goes to shake Akos' hand. "I owe you a debt. I nearly made a mistake that could have cost me my job. If you ever need anything, just ask."

OOC: Tim - Nonlethal damage with Rizvan: 1D6+7 = [1]+7 = 8
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Anton looks through the fog to try to find the face that goes with the voice. Then he sees the kobold and his smile disappears. "Your the one who helped my cousin. Those rats came back! You need to give the money back to him or finish the job!"

OOC: Okay, so Tuck's Diplomacy check wasn't great, but was mitigated by Akos roll. I'm going to say that Anton is only Indifferent to Tuck and Friendly to the others.

Darn rats, thinks Tuck. Shifty rodents didn’t listen. Told ‘em to stay at their new place where food is plenty, but nooo.

”I promise to help him again at no cost, or his money back,” the kobold offers sincerely.

”Will visit him as soon as this business is done.”

"Sarge, look!" Anton gasps.

The visage of the old woman disappears and is replaced by the doppelganger's true form.

"I guess I am an effing dragon."

Tuck huffs at that remark, but the kobold lets it slide.

Back in front of of the guard post, the sergeant goes to shake Akos' hand. "I owe you a debt. I nearly made a mistake that could have cost me my job. If you ever need anything, just ask."

”More than your job,” mutters Tuck to himself, then says out loud, ”This doppelganger, by his own admission and as proven by the evidence we provide and his knowledge of crimes not yet known to us, is the Old City Killer. Now if you’ll excuse us, we need to find the other victim he bragged about, and to find and deliver the antidote for the other victim’s poison.”

The kobold is ready to leave.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim smiles wryly as he speaks in a calm and polite tone: "Sergeant Dragon. See to it that the prisoner is locked in a cell of his own; DO NOT put him in a cell with other prisoners. Also, make sure his cell has a solid door, with a food slot and no window. Entering a cell with him would be a mistake, for all but the most seasoned, and strongest of guards. Despite his appearances, he is a strong, and skilled combatant. And he is very agile as well. And lastly, he is a confessed murderer, I swear this on my word of honor, as a Knight of the Order of the Scarlet Cross. If you enter his cell, it should be with no less than 5 of your best men, and you should NOT believe any form he may take. My guess is that he will change himself to look like a guard, and claim that the Doppleganger tricked him and escaped. He would do this in hopes that YOU YOURSELVES would set him free! DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HIM. He is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, and you should always treat him as such, no matter HOW calm and submissive he appears to be. He is the type that will bide his time, hoping that you will relax, and lower your guard. DO NOT DO SO. REMEMBER MY WARNING, AND HEED MY WORDS."

Tim turns to Tuck with a nod, and a wink. "Ready when you are, boss man."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We will come back for it. Or send someone to collect it. Whoever it is will mention Order or Knight of the Scarlet Cross. Don't let anyone else inside, there may be other shapechangers about."

Facing the fog again
"Lets try to heal that boy and find the rest of the victims. Mani...lets hope they can hold him. Moving in this fog-soup will be challenging without carrying him along."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Darn rats, thinks Tuck. Shifty rodents didn’t listen. Told ‘em to stay at their new place where food is plenty, but nooo.

”I promise to help him again at no cost, or his money back,” the kobold offers sincerely.

”Will visit him as soon as this business is done.”
Anton's grimace softens and he nods. "I'm glad to hear it. The rats are costing Walther tons of money. He had to close the bakery due to the infestation. He and Albina are at their wits end. She had to take a third job here in Old City for them to be able to feed their children. I'll send him a message to let him that you'll handle it."

JustinCase said:
”More than your job,” mutters Tuck to himself, then says out loud, ”This doppelganger, by his own admission and as proven by the evidence we provide and his knowledge of crimes not yet known to us, is the Old City Killer. Now if you’ll excuse us, we need to find the other victim he bragged about, and to find and deliver the antidote for the other victim’s poison.”
The words seem to finally sink into the guard sergeant. "We will make sure he doesn't go anywhere. I swear it."

"We will hold you to that promise," Vinccenzo replies. The Sectarian Guard is still annoyed at the man.

Tim smiles wryly as he speaks in a calm and polite tone: "Sergeant Dragon. See to it that the prisoner is locked in a cell of his own; DO NOT put him in a cell with other prisoners. Also, make sure his cell has a solid door, with a food slot and no window. Entering a cell with him would be a mistake, for all but the most seasoned, and strongest of guards. Despite his appearances, he is a strong, and skilled combatant. And he is very agile as well. And lastly, he is a confessed murderer, I swear this on my word of honor, as a Knight of the Order of the Scarlet Cross. If you enter his cell, it should be with no less than 5 of your best men, and you should NOT believe any form he may take. My guess is that he will change himself to look like a guard, and claim that the Doppleganger tricked him and escaped. He would do this in hopes that YOU YOURSELVES would set him free! DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HIM. He is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, and you should always treat him as such, no matter HOW calm and submissive he appears to be. He is the type that will bide his time, hoping that you will relax, and lower your guard. DO NOT DO SO. REMEMBER MY WARNING, AND HEED MY WORDS."
"We only have five cells here and they all have bars not solid doors. But there is one where we can keep it isolated from any other prisoners. It's been a quiet night, so the rest of the cells are empty," the sergeant replies. "We will make sure that no other prisoners are kept in the cells next to it, and I'll have Anton and Wymond watch it carefully. Wymond has some magical skill, so he's the best man I've got to watch this killer."

Another one of the guards standing behind the sergeant nods to the PCs. "I won't fall for his tricks."

"We will come back for it. Or send someone to collect it. Whoever it is will mention Order or Knight of the Scarlet Cross. Don't let anyone else inside, there may be other shapechangers about."
"More of them, eh?" The sergeant muses while rubbing the scruff on his chin. "Do you think they'll come for him?"

"They might, so be very careful and don't let anyone in, even if you know them," Vinccenzo echoes both Tim and Akos' words and tone. "Also, the doppelganger is wily and a bit mad. It will say things to try to shock you. Don't listen."

"Sergeant Lichefield, syr, we could put him in the cellar," a burly, bearded guard says in a heavy northern accent. "In the ol' storeroom. It's nearly empty and has a good lock. If he makes a ruction, no one will hear his wailing."

"I agree. You should put him down there," Vinccenzo says. "And I'd say to have at three guards stationed outside the door at all times and do as the knight suggests. Don't enter the room with less than five guards."

The sergeant looks at his underling, a bit annoyed before glancing towards Tim. He seems to be thinking very carefully about the knight's words. "It will be a bit of work, but its the best idea." He looks back at the guard. "Since its your idea, Odhran, you can stand guard with Wymond and Anton will stand guard up here at the door to the cellar. Go tell Anton and Mariana to prepare the prisoner to be moved downstairs and then go clear out anything in the storeroom that it could use to escape."

"Aye syr," the man replies.

The sergeant looks at Vinccenzo. "Good enough?"

The Sectarian Guard grudgingly nods.

JustinCase said:
The kobold is ready to leave.
Tellerian Hawke said:
Tim turns to Tuck with a nod, and a wink. "Ready when you are, boss man."
Neurotic said:
Facing the fog again
"Lets try to heal that boy and find the rest of the victims. Mani...lets hope they can hold him. Moving in this fog-soup will be challenging without carrying him along."
The fog has become as thick as the iron-pea soup that "Nonna" Valencia often force fed him when he was a boy. Luckily, the fog doesn't smell or look like the soup. He, Breva, and Vinccenzo let Akos and Tuck guide them to the Mill of Hooves. It doesn't take as long as it did to get to the guard post with the two of them working together.

Entering the stables, they find the boy, Joseph Dale, lying where Akos left him. The boy's breathing is steady but shallow and when Akos checks on him, Joseph moans softly. "Mama."

"We need to get him to a temple but there isn't one close by. Well, not that I know of," Vinccenzo says with great concern. He looks at Tuck than at Akos. "Do you know of some place nearby? If we have to take him all the way to the Temple District, it will take too long."

He ponders for a second, looks as if he's going to suggest something to Akos, and then shakes his head. "Damn! I need to spend more time outside the Wizard District!"

OOC: Vinccenzo - Aid Another for Akos: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7 :rolleyes:

Roll another Knowledge (local) check (DC 18). Vinccenzo tried use Aid Another (DC 10) with Akos, but he just doesn't know Old City well enough. Tim can try to aid Tuck, since he's been in Bluffside for a while now. Remember that if you have 5 ranks in Gather Information, you get a +2 synergy bonus. If either of you beat the check by 5 or more, your PC knows exactly the best place to go and how to get there (in about 20 to 25 minutes). If you both do, then you can get Joseph there in 15 to 20 minutes.

Note that a Natural 20 is considered a 30 for my games (and that a 1 is always a failure). If either of you roll a Nat20 (even if the other one rolls a 1), then you can get the boy to the best place in 5 minutes flat!

A roll of 1 by either of them (without a Nat 20 by the other) would be bad, but not the end of the world. (A delay of 2d4+2 minutes.) A roll of 1 by both would be very bad. (A delay of of 2d12+4 minutes and there isn't any place close by. The PCs will have to take Joseph either to Sylemis at the Ascetic's Temple in the Gardens, which will take over an hour in fog.)

Since the boy is in peril, you can't Take 10. It's been about 50 minutes since Akos Heal check. (He can make another Heal check [DC 16] at that time to try to extend the time by another hour.) That means you have another hour and ten minutes before the poison starts to take effect again. I'm assuming the PCs still have Mani's dagger to help create an antidote.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
"As I said, someone was blackmailing him. It was in the letters on his desk. We've put it away for now," the praefectus replies. "The details of the blackmail weren't mentioned in the parchments but the the blackmailer's intent was clear — comply or face the ruination of Legatus Avitus position here in Bluffside and his life."

"It is possible that he grew tired of being under the blackmailer's thumb," Scriba Amphion notes. "And he refused to help them anymore, although there wasn't any letters or other writings where he mentions refusing them or penning a confession. The parchments are in a locked chest in the armory. Two guards are watching the door."

"You can look them over in the morning, if you wish," Praefectus Casca suggests. His tone tells Falen that the conversation is over. Falen can tell the man is tired, even weary.

Scriba Amphion salutes the praefectus and motions for Falen to follow him. He leads the unseen seer out of the room and back to the anteroom. He points to the left. "Through there is a hallway that will lead you to the barracks for the embassy. At the end of the hall, you will find one door to your left and two others to your right. Don't go into the door on your left. That is where the guards sleep. The first door on the left is the privy and the second door is room for the servants of visiting dignitaries. It's empty right now, so you'll have the room all to yourself. There are two small beds. Feel free to push them together."

The scribe goes back to his desk and goes back to his work. He glances at Falen before beginning to write. "Personally, I do not believe that Legatus Avitus was under any sort of magical charm. The letters have no mention of payment for his compliance either. He was under threat. Whatever it was must have been life or death. The legatus was a good man." He pauses. "If you like, I shall write an introduction for Lady Oppia Nazaria and have it delivered tonight. That way she will be expecting you. And I can send word to Lord Commander Reginald Oakfirst that you wish to meet with him."
Thank you please. I shall see her tomorrow. I’ll wait on Oakfirst. I shall retire as you suggest. Thank you.” Falen retains the note from Lord Max, retiring to the room suggested. He locks or otherwise bars the door upon entry, and he sleeps lightly, privy to what’s happened and what could happen. He does not resist the urge to read the note provided to him. He realizes breaking the seal may be...not what he should do...but he does so anyway, gently. He feels very guilty about it, but with what’s happened, and not knowing the ground under his feet, more information is better than less.
And thinking of additional precaution, Falen warms up a nightly spell, a secret space just above a corner bed in the room, to offer additional protection, and climbs a magical rope up into it.
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Loremaster concentrates, positioning himself on his mental map. It is unfortunate that most of his sermons are near the lake and intended for simple fold with simple pleasures rather than more jaded nobles as he cannot remember any specific noble-born priest. Or temple. Now that he thinks about it, he should take steps to make a temple to Titania in the city. The park would be ideal, although the lake would be his preference.

He shakes himself off fantasies, flights of fancy he is prone to must give way to grim reality. Checking the boy over, he finds that his ministrations are holding, but there is nothing further he can do. Even new pulse of the belt seems weak in the thickening fog.

Fog. Lake. Temple. Horsemilk is the color of this fog. Lake makes fog. Lake takes frog. As he stares into the swirling emptyness outside random stream of thoughts runs through his head. But the training, the knowledge. With inattention the brain is free to make connections. And the lore is rich with uncommon phenomena.

Local; Nobility; Religion: 1D20+11 = [18]+11 = 29
1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
1D20+11 = [6]+11 = 17


Heal check - against poison: 1D20+10 = [2]+10 = 12 - phew, almost 1
Healing belt: 2D8 = [1, 2] = 3

Bardic Lore (level + int + circlet): 1D20+4+2+4 = [18]+4+2+4 = 28 - the fog?
 
Last edited:


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Loremaster concentrates, positioning himself on his mental map. It is unfortunate that most of his sermons are near the lake and intended for simple fold with simple pleasures rather than more jaded nobles as he cannot remember any specific noble-born priest. Or temple. Now that he thinks about it, he should take steps to make a temple to Titania in the city. The park would be ideal, although the lake would be his preference.

OOC: Local; Nobility; Religion: 1D20+11 = [18]+11 = 29
1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
1D20+11 = [6]+11 = 17
Akos knows the closest place is an Inn on the other side of the Cardinal Wall. The Jade Butterfly Inn is renown for its great services including pristine rooms and some of the best food in Old City. The inn also has an in-house healer, an old gnome matron named Gesallne. She would be able to neutralize the poison in the boy without any difficulty, but it won't come cheap. While the Loremaster knows of her, he's never met her. Still, it would be nice to get out of the fog and the inn is said to be oh-so comfy.

No, the best place to take young Mr. Dale is Spindle's Apothecary near the inner gate known as Green Gateway. His shop is the closest thing to a real temple on this side of Old City. Again, while Akos hasn't met the man, he has a great reputation among the healers of the Temple District. The Loremaster doesn't know why the man setup in Old City, but he is well liked by the locals. This late, however, he might not be open.

There are a couple other places near the South Gate with healers. There are two hedge wizards, an elf and a human, that frequent the Park of Angels and South Gate Thicket. The elf, named Katar, is a bit of mystery -- wise and flighty and can be found talking to the trees in the thicket. The human, named Willow, is gentle and caring. She frequents the Park of Angels both day and night. Both of them might be able to neutralize the poison.

OOC: Akos knows that there aren't any major temples in Old City. Bluffside has a Temple District and over the years almost all of the faiths have set up in that district. The Ascetic's Temple in the Garden is more the exception than the rule when it comes to Old City. He also knows that any nobles or rich merchants with healing ability will ask a king's ransom (or a favor) for their help. Thus, the Loremaster has bothered to learn any of their names.

Gesaline: The old gnome is a priestess of Kusar, a strange deity of travel known more in the lands far to the north of Bluffside. Akos knows that prices for her casting of spells is 25% higher than what is listed in the PHB (p. 129). For Neutralize Poison, it would be her caster level x 50 gp, not 40 (500 gp). And it is considered to be in poor taste to haggle about prices at the Jade Butterfly.
Gesaline - generate Caster Level: 2D6+4 = [5, 1]+4 = 10

"Spindle": No one knows if "Spindle" is man's real name or not but most don't care since he's so likeable. He's the complete opposite to the old apothecary who is grumpy and bitter. Akos had meant to stop by the shop and meet the man, eventually. Spindle charges the normal spellcasting prices in the PHB. However, more often, his customers come to him to buy potions, as he's not as powerful as some. He is a devotee of the Bluffside god known as Sky and Air. He is the sort who will help save the boy and ask for payment at some other time.
Spindle - generate Caster Level: 2D4+1 = [4, 1]+1 = 6

Katar and Willow: Akos met Katar once and found the elf to be quite eccentric. Katar is more at home in the parks and thickets of Old City where is happy to talk to the trees and sing to the squirrels. The androgynous elf might help or they might not, depending on their mood. If Katar helps, they will want a favor in return. | Willow is old, even for a human, and she loves all living things. While Akos' has never met her, her reputation is renown and she would likely help the boy without asking for anything in return. However, she isn't always in the Park of Angels; she spends a lot of time helping the poorest people in the Undercity, especially during the evening.

Neurotic said:
He shakes himself off fantasies, flights of fancy he is prone to must give way to grim reality. Checking the boy over, he finds that his ministrations are holding, but there is nothing further he can do. Even new pulse of the belt seems weak in the thickening fog.

OOC: Heal check - against poison: 1D20+10 = [2]+10 = 12 - phew, almost 1
Healing belt: 2D8 = [1, 2] = 3
The boy sinks back into a deep sleep. Soon, the lad might be out of reach.

Neurotic said:
Fog. Lake. Temple. Horsemilk is the color of this fog. Lake makes fog. Lake takes frog. As he stares into the swirling emptyness outside random stream of thoughts runs through his head. But the training, the knowledge. With inattention the brain is free to make connections. And the lore is rich with uncommon phenomena.

OOC: Bardic Lore (level + int + circlet): 1D20+4+2+4 = [18]+4+2+4 = 28 - the fog?
The Pool of Whispered Dreams. The tale comes into his mind. There is rumored to be a magical well hidden somewhere deep in the Jade Thicket at the intersection of the Cardinal Wall and the Green Wall. The tales tells of an old pixie who blessed the waters in the well with its dying breath. The young nobles of Old City are constantly trying to find the well, but it is said that the well will only appear when the need it great and Bluffside is in peril. If the well does exist, it would cure the boy and likely permanently bless him as well.

Hairy Jack. A darker tale of fey magic in Old City refers to a mystery man that is believed to roam the streets at night singing songs of love and death. The man is thought to be a satyr or a power sidhe prince exiled from the Fey Realm, and if you give him one year of your life, he will grant you power to save a loved one. A young noblewoman took Hairy Jack up on his offer to save her young lover who then betrayed her for a richer patron. She threw herself off the cliffs into the sea below Bluffside and is believed to have become a banshee.

Tuck thinks quickly. Sure, Old City is not where he spends most of his time, but the kobold has lived in this city for his entire life, knowing the way better than most. Surely there is a friendly temple nearby?

OOC: Tuck knows of both Gesaline and "Spindle", as well. He's never met the gnome priestess but he does know Spindle. (He hasn't heard of the two hedge wizards, but with a good description, he could try to track them down with Mutt's help.)
------

Tuck remembers a conversation he had with Sylemis when the kobold asked the dragori ascetic why there aren't more temples or shrines in Old City. 'That's the roll of the Temple District, my friend. They get a bit annoyed when newcomers try to set up in other districts beyond theirs. It's ridiculous but that's the way it is. But do not fret, there are places in Old City that have clerics on staff.'

Tuck nods his head. Spindle's Apothecary. Just thinking about old Spindle makes him grin. There are few humans in Old City that he respects more than the apothecary. When Mutt came down with the magical affliction known as the Werewolf Flu, the only human who would help Tuck was Spindle. He saved Mutt's life and was glad to do it. Sure, Tuck had owed him one for a while, but it was debt he'd been happy to pay. Those street toughs learned a rough lesson that day!

The apothecary is on the other side of the Cardinal Wall through Red Arch. Green Gateway and the Jade Quarter are full of some of the best shops in Old City if you're looking for the best. It's a ways to get there, and the boy might not have the time. Tuck knows that it's a good bet that Spindle will be open, even at this time of night. But, the Jade Butterfly is closer. Not that Tuck's ever been inside that pricy place (or can afford its rooms) but Gesaline of Kusar is one of the most renown healers in Old City. She's just more expensive than most, and you can't get her services without booking a room.

Tuck's mind considers the possibilities and then he remembers someone... another dealer in divine magicks.

Rhizhali of the Web. Even thinking her name gives Tuck the chills. The aranea trader is know to have almost anything, if you're willing to brave her tower. The tall spire sits near the outer wall of the district near Widows' Tower. Tuck knows she is a cleric, or maybe a druid, or something else. No one is really sure, but even the Bluffside Regulars give her tower a wide berth.

Her skills as a trader make her invaluable to The Five and the powerful Noble Houses of Old City. She can get anything! The price is always high and comes with a favor to be named later. The bigger the favor you agree to, the better the price. He looks at young Mr. Dale and wonders if it is worth the favor she will ask for.

OOC: Tuck met Rhizhali only once. A kobold he knew went to her for an elixir of love, and she asked his friend to kill a rival of hers in Ambris (known as the City of the Pines) in the Aarzen Valley. (Tuck went with his friend to the tower but had to stay outside.) His friend go the item and a new human girlfriend with it but then refused to kill the aranea's target. He was found strung up with thick webs in the Undercity and his human mate disappeared without a trace. (And Tuck's friend had been a tough fighter/rogue.)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thank you please. I shall see her tomorrow. I’ll wait on Oakfirst. I shall retire as you suggest. Thank you.” Falen retains the note from Lord Max, retiring to the room suggested. He locks or otherwise bars the door upon entry, and he sleeps lightly, privy to what’s happened and what could happen. He does not resist the urge to read the note provided to him. He realizes breaking the seal may be...not what he should do...but he does so anyway, gently. He feels very guilty about it, but with what’s happened, and not knowing the ground under his feet, more information is better than less.
And thinking of additional precaution, Falen warms up a nightly spell, a secret space just above a corner bed in the room, to offer additional protection, and climbs a magical rope up into it.
Inside the hand-made envelope is a whirlwind of trouble for the entire family line of Legatus Avitus, the city of Bluffside, and maybe for Falen as well. If he delivers its contents to Lady Nazaria in the morning, he could find himself embroiled in a controversy that could end his life, if he's not careful. At first, the parchment seems to simply deliver bad news for Legatus Avitus that his son has been killed in the lands known as The Southwest -- in Khemit to be precise. It goes on for three pages, as Lord Max goes into the tragedy and the arrangements being made to have the son's body shipped back to Ticinum.

Falen reads it over and over again and can't fathom why anyone would try to kill him for these three pages. He's soon out of the rope trick and pacing around the small room before heading back up into it. The secrecy makes no sense to his curious mind. It's not until he begins to read between the lines, does he realize there is a code message from Lord Max to Legatus Avitus.

The letter turns out the only be part of the truth. Yes, the legatus has lost his son, Aulus Dovius Viatoro, but it turns out that the man had been an adventurer plying his trade around the city of Sharn. Lord Max goes on to write that the yonug man was captured by The Dusk and held captive. The ransom was Legatus Avitus's compliance with the Rising Swords and their partner in crime -- a man the coded message refers to as Phelix Del Cannitha. (Obviously, the leader of the Arreptitii.) Lord Max discovered that Phelix is an exile of the Del Cannitha family of Sharn. The Dusk kept Aulus imprisoned in a fortress just outside of the city of Tânger. Since the legatus was cursed to not have any other sons, he did whatever Phelix asked of him.

The legatus asked Lord Max to send a force to free his son, but the young man died during the rescue attempt. Worst than that, it became clear to Lord Max that someone else in Bluffside is helping to blackmail the legatus, acting as a go between for this Del Cannitha fellow. That person isn't named, but Lord Max is convinced it is someone in the embassy. Why is Lord Max sure? The Dusk had known the team Max sent were coming and ambushed them. Only one survived to report back to Lord Max. (It turns out Lord Max was in Tânger the same time as Falen.)

'There is a viper in your bed.' Lord Max writes. Always the poet, Falen notes. 'And Dusk will soon fall on Bluffside.'

Could Praefectus Casca be the villain or maybe Lady Nazaria isn't to be trusted? And then there is the scribe, Amphion. Yes, it could all go very badly for Falen if he gives the 'letter' to the wrong person and they decode it. And if The Dusk are truly coming to Bluffside, are they coming for Falen or are the assassins already here, and they are who killed Legatus Avitus?

Falen is soon wide awake despite being exhausted.

OOC: Of course, Phelix Del Cannitha is the renegade sorcerer the other PCs are trying to bring to justice. But, at this point, Falen doesn't know anything about the Brelish outcast besides what is coded in the letter (and that letter's connection to the information he learn from the praefectus). Since the streets were fog soaked when he arrived, he hasn't seen any of the handbills tacked up all over Old City warning of the villain being at large and the warnings about a group known as the Loyalists who follow him. There are also broadsheets on every corner warning about the mercenaries of the Rising Swords and their rumored presence in Bluffside.

At this point, no one else besides Falen knows that the city might have been invaded by The Dusk. ;)
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos thinks over the options carefully.

Akos knows the closest place is an Inn on the other side of the Cardinal Wall. The Jade Butterfly Inn is renown for its great services including pristine rooms and some of the best food in Old City. The inn also has an in-house healer, an old gnome matron named Gesallne. She would be able to neutralize the poison in the boy without any difficulty, but it won't come cheap. While the Loremaster knows of her, he's never met her. Still, it would be nice to get out of the fog and the inn is said to be oh-so comfy.
"Too expensive for me alone and I don't know others to know if they would give money for little nobody."

Both of them might be able to neutralize the poison.
"I would like to go to the elf...but we cannot afford the delay if he's in one of his moods. And the old one...gods only know where she is."

No, the best place to take young Mr. Dale is Spindle's Apothecary near the inner gate known as Green Gateway. Hi
s shop is the closest thing to a real temple on this side of Old City. Again, while Akos hasn't met the man, he has a great reputation among the healers of the Temple District. The Loremaster doesn't know why the man setup in Old City, but he is well liked by the locals. This late, however, he might not be open.
"Apothecary will have to be. Even if we wake him, there is always a potion or two for at least delaying the death so we can find the true priest. I meant to go there at some point anyway."

Aloud, he announces
"The best way to save the boy is to take him to the apothecary Spindle. We have to go throught the Red Arch and then north, keeping to the main streets. Unless we want to avoid any notice in which case we need to go along the wall and follow jade thicket. I don't know the apothecary personally and we will probably wake him up so he may be somewhat...distant. But he is the best bet for the boy.

The alternatives are either expensive, this is noble part of town after all, or unreliable. The price would be around 500 gold pieces, which the boy probably couldn't afford even if he worked for better part of his life. It would depend on us to pay the sum. I don't have that much on me."


Willow is old, even for a human, and she loves all living things.
OOC: This isn't saying much :) Even venerable human will be nothing next to even young adult elf.


"I also remember a story, we probably don't have time for that for the boy. It would be free, but we would need to search through Jade Thicket. It is not large, but this thing we would be looking for is magical. And the well from the story appears only when Bluffside is in peril. That would be both good and bad if we find it. We might just pass through on our way to the apothecary. Maybe it is obvious enough. It is called The Pool of Whispered Dreams."
 
Last edited:

Scotley

Adventurer
Breva speaks up. "I don't know enough about the city yet to say where we should take him. However, I have some small gift at healing, let me see if there is something I can do for the boy." The big powerful man is surprisingly gentle as he settles by the boy and lays his hands upon him after a short prayer. After he calls up on his God's power he examines the boy carefully.

OOC:
Heal Check: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
Could heal up to 10 points of damage.
knowledge local aid another: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Oops.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Inside the hand-made envelope is a whirlwind of trouble for the entire family line of Legatus Avitus, the city of Bluffside, and maybe for Falen as well. If he delivers its contents to Lady Nazaria in the morning, he could find himself embroiled in a controversy that could end his life, if he's not careful. At first, the parchment seems to simply deliver bad news for Legatus Avitus that his son has been killed in the lands known as The Southwest -- in Khemit to be precise. It goes on for three pages, as Lord Max goes into the tragedy and the arrangements being made to have the son's body shipped back to Ticinum.

Falen reads it over and over again and can't fathom why anyone would try to kill him for these three pages. He's soon out of the rope trick and pacing around the small room before heading back up into it. The secrecy makes no sense to his curious mind. It's not until he begins to read between the lines, does he realize there is a code message from Lord Max to Legatus Avitus.

The letter turns out the only be part of the truth. Yes, the legatus has lost his son, Aulus Dovius Viatoro, but it turns out that the man had been an adventurer plying his trade around the city of Sharn. Lord Max goes on to write that the yonug man was captured by The Dusk and held captive. The ransom was Legatus Avitus's compliance with the Rising Swords and their partner in crime -- a man the coded message refers to as Phelix Del Cannitha. (Obviously, the leader of the Arreptitii.) Lord Max discovered that Phelix is an exile of the Del Cannitha family of Sharn. The Dusk kept Aulus imprisoned in a fortress just outside of the city of Tânger. Since the legatus was cursed to not have any other sons, he did whatever Phelix asked of him.

The legatus asked Lord Max to send a force to free his son, but the young man died during the rescue attempt. Worst than that, it became clear to Lord Max that someone else in Bluffside is helping to blackmail the legatus, acting as a go between for this Del Cannitha fellow. That person isn't named, but Lord Max is convinced it is someone in the embassy. Why is Lord Max sure? The Dusk had known the team Max sent were coming and ambushed them. Only one survived to report back to Lord Max. (It turns out Lord Max was in Tânger the same time as Falen.)

'There is a viper in your bed.' Lord Max writes. Always the poet, Falen notes. 'And Dusk will soon fall on Bluffside.'

Could Praefectus Casca be the villain or maybe Lady Nazaria isn't to be trusted? And then there is the scribe, Amphion. Yes, it could all go very badly for Falen if he gives the 'letter' to the wrong person and they decode it. And if The Dusk are truly coming to Bluffside, are they coming for Falen or are the assassins already here, and they are who killed Legatus Avitus?

Falen is soon wide awake despite being exhausted.

OOC: Of course, Phelix Del Cannitha is the renegade sorcerer the other PCs are trying to bring to justice. But, at this point, Falen doesn't know anything about the Brelish outcast besides what is coded in the letter (and that letter's connection to the information he learn from the praefectus). Since the streets were fog soaked when he arrived, he hasn't seen any of the handbills tacked up all over Old City warning of the villain being at large and the warnings about a group known as the Loyalists who follow him. There are also broadsheets on every corner warning about the mercenaries of the Rising Swords and their rumored presence in Bluffside.

At this point, no one else besides Falen knows that the city might have been invaded by The Dusk. ;)

Falen doesn’t sleep immediately as his mind works through the various threads of the coded message, what it means, and who betrayed Legatus Avitis. He understands why Lord Max sent him on this errand. So he puts himself in Legatus Avitis’ shoes. And then the Prefectus. And then the Lady. And then the scribe. He continues to think on his dilemma as he climbs down, using the washbasin in his room to clean up, and visiting the lou. He decides to force himself to get a few hours sleep. He has the bare bones of a plan. Now he needs rest. With purpose. He blows out all of the candles in the room, climbs back into the rope trick, positions himself such that he will land in the bed below him should the spell end before waking, and with clear line of sight of the door and any window below him. He packs the haversack as full as possible, leaving armor, gear, and weapons ready next to it. He then dons his magical hat of disguise as a nightcap, changing his appearance (for practice) to the prefectus as well as the scribe. He smiles. This could be...fun. He grips his favorite knife, and he dozes off, willing his body to wake in 3 or 4 hours before the rope trick wears off.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"The Spindle," Tuck firmly agrees with Akos while Breva tends to the boy. "That magical something only coming when Bluffside needs it most, sounds too unpredictable."

Giving Mutt a few pats on his back, the kobold says fondly, "If it wasn't for the Spindle's Apothecary, Mutt here would've been far more dangerous to everyone. It was a debt I glady paid off!"

Then the little reptilian sounds worried. "I just hope we can get to it quickly. The only closer option I know of, well, I'd rather not get involved with her again."

A shiver seems to go through him before Tuck suppresses it.

"Let's go now that the Spindle is still open!"
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"The Spindle," Tuck firmly agrees with Akos while Breva tends to the boy. "That magical something only coming when Bluffside needs it most, sounds too unpredictable."

"Unpredictable, yes, but on our way. And if we find it...well, we will know that The Renegade is more dangerous for Bluffside than anybody thinks."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aloud, Akos announces
"The best way to save the boy is to take him to the apothecary Spindle. We have to go throught the Red Arch and then north, keeping to the main streets. Unless we want to avoid any notice in which case we need to go along the wall and follow jade thicket. I don't know the apothecary personally and we will probably wake him up so he may be somewhat...distant. But he is the best bet for the boy.

The alternatives are either expensive, this is noble part of town after all, or unreliable. The price would be around 500 gold pieces, which the boy probably couldn't afford even if he worked for better part of his life. It would depend on us to pay the sum. I don't have that much on me."
"If there is a price to be paid," Vinccenzo says. "We should all pool our coins and help the lad. We also have Mani's stuff, so we could offer some of it in trade."

Neurotic said:
OOC: This isn't saying much :) Even venerable human will be nothing next to even young adult elf.
OOC: Well, Akos is human, so I figured he'd respect a venerable human's ability to live so long in a dangerous world (even with his fey connection).

Breva speaks up. "I don't know enough about the city yet to say where we should take him. However, I have some small gift at healing, let me see if there is something I can do for the boy." The big powerful man is surprisingly gentle as he settles by the boy and lays his hands upon him after a short prayer. After he calls up on his God's power he examines the boy carefully.

OOC:
Heal Check: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
Could heal up to 10 points of damage.
knowledge local aid another: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Oops.
The paladin's ministrations do little to ease the boy's obvious discomfort. Whatever is in young Joseph's blood is vile beyond his ability to heal without access to a temple or an alchemy lab. The boy's color is becoming concerning to Breva. There is a blue tinge to the boy's lips and his fingers.

Neurotic said:
"I also remember a story, we probably don't have time for that for the boy. It would be free, but we would need to search through Jade Thicket. It is not large, but this thing we would be looking for is magical. And the well from the story appears only when Bluffside is in peril. That would be both good and bad if we find it. We might just pass through on our way to the apothecary. Maybe it is obvious enough. It is called The Pool of Whispered Dreams."
"That copse of trees is called a thicket for a reason. I doubt it's the safest place after dark and I wouldn't want to go in there in the fog," Vinccenzo glances at the half-open doors of the stable. The fog is still thick and is billowing inside. The fog is making the horses nervous. Vinccenzo goes and closes up the doors and tries to calm the animals down. "We should go see this Spindle person right away. Spindle? That's an odd name."

"The Spindle," Tuck firmly agrees with Akos while Breva tends to the boy. "That magical something only coming when Bluffside needs it most, sounds too unpredictable."
"Unpredictable, yes, but on our way. And if we find it...well, we will know that The Renegade is more dangerous for Bluffside than anybody thinks."
"I say we take the main roads and get there as fast as possible. If you really want to check it out, we could do it after the boy is taken care of... the story does sound intriguing."

JustinCase said:
Giving Mutt a few pats on his back, the kobold says fondly, "If it wasn't for the Spindle's Apothecary, Mutt here would've been far more dangerous to everyone. It was a debt I glady paid off!"

Then the little reptilian sounds worried. "I just hope we can get to it quickly. The only closer option I know of, well, I'd rather not get involved with her again."

A shiver seems to go through him before Tuck suppresses it.

"Let's go now that the Spindle is still open!"
"Yes, let's get him there quickly!" Vinccenzo agrees.

All agree it would be easiest for Tim to carry young Mr. Dale, although Vinccenzo does offer to do it. Once the doors to the stables are secure from the outside, Tuck and Mutt lead the way through the fog with the big dog's nose as the guide. Finding the way back to Red Arch is easy enough, but after that the way is more mysterious in the fog. Breva use the illumination from his sword to help guide the way. The streets are very quiet and there aren't any citizens on the streets.

It only takes about 15 minutes to make your way to the apothecary on the main streets. If you'd taken the side street along the wall near the Jade Thicket, it would have taken a lot longer. Vinccenzo asks Akos more about the story and the two are hopeful to discover if the legend is true.

Mutt senses where the group is going once he gets close. The big dog becomes excited and barks at Tuck to hurry. He nearly pulls the kobold urban ranger off his feet. The small shop is indeed open, as Tuck noted. A young noblewoman in a hooded cloak comes out of the door just as Tuck is about to open it.

"Oh my!" She startles when she sees the adventurers! "Back you ruffians!"

"At ease, dear lady," Vinccenzo says. "We are on a mission to save this young boy's life. He's been poisoned by the Old City Killer, who we caught, and needs the apothecary's help."

The woman is taken aback by the appearance and odor of you all. "You smell like you've been sleeping with horses." She holds a handkerchief in front of her nose. She nearly gags.

Spindle quickly appears at the door with a rake in his hand. "Back you louts! Don't hassle my customers! I won't pay the Sabers a bloody copper!" Then he sees Tuck and Mutt and relaxes. He turns to the noblewoman. "It is alright, Lady Delia, I know this fine kobold and his dog. Hello there Mutt! You're looking healthy."

The dog barks at the man and lets him rub him on the chin and the head. "Yes, your coat is nice and shiny." He looks at Tuck and notes the others' many scrapes. "You been in a fight recently, haven't you?"

"Yes, but we're fine," Vinccenzo replies. "This boy here has been poisoned. Our Loremaster and paladin," he motions to Akos and Breva. "Have tried to heal him, and while his wounds have closed, the venom is still killing him."

"That's to be expected," Spindle says. "Well, come in, come in! There isn't much time left by the looks of him." He ushers the adventurers into the shop. "Put him on the table there." He motions to a large table filled with books and reagents. The entire shop is a place of controlled chaos. One false step could tip an entire shelf of potions over onto the floor.

Tim has to squeeze in through the front door and then there is only one spot he can stand, by the front door. (OOC: Depending on who is carrying Joseph, either Tim hands the boy over to Akos or Vinccenzo takes the boy to the table and waits for the others to clear a spot.)

"Yes, yes, just move whatever you need to move!" Spindle exclaims while he climbs up a short ladder and picks several potion bottles off the shelf. "Yes, one of these will work. My strongest antitoxins and if that doesn't work, I'm sure I have a neutralize poison potion around here somewhere." He climbs back down and shoos Mutt away as he moves to the table and looks at the boys lips and into his eyes. "Very bad," he says. "Who did this?"

"The Old City Killer stabbed him with a poisoned dagger," Vinccenzo replies. "We caught the bastard. A doppelganger with a deadly sense of humor."

"Well, let's talk about that later," the apothecary says. "Hold him while I pour this down his throat. The reaction could be intense." He tips the boy's head back and puts a funnel in his mouth then he pours antire vial into the funnel while massaging the boy's neck. "Please don't choke, young one."

The antitoxin goes down smoother than any of you expect. The boy seems to stop breathing for a moment and then begins to thrash around on the table. "Hold him!"

Vinccenzo helps Akos hold the boy down so he doesn't hurt himself. He seizes for nearly a minute before it ends and the boy is soon breathing deeply and his lips and fingers go back to their normal color.

"He's through the worst of it," Spindle says proudly. "That was close. Any longer and the antitoxin wouldn't have had any effect."

"Will, will he be alright?" A feminine voice asks. Lady Delia stands next to Tim watching in fascination. Her initial disgust seems to have past.

"I think he'll be okay," Spindle says with a smile. The old, gray-haired apothecary looks very tired, and he gladly lets Mutt nuzzle up to him as he sits down on an old wooden chair. "If I could find that potion in here, it would make short work of the poison and he'd be up on his feet right away, but with some rest, he'll be back to his old self in 3 or 4 days."

"Good, I'm glad," she replies. She turns to Tim and the others. "I'm sorry for my words. There is no excuse, but coming through that damn fog to see Spindle made me quite afraid. If the need hadn't been great, I wouldn't be out in this weather at all." She pulls down her hood to reveal ebony skin, pale green eyes, and golden hair. She is likely in her mid-thirties and is stunning to say the least.

"It is understandable," Vinccenzo replies. "You weren't expecting us to appear out of nowhere."

"That's still no excuse for my boorish behavior," she replies with a bow. "Please forgive me as the eldest daughter of House of Frostraven."

"This is Lady Delia Marian Frostraven," Spindle introduces her to Vinccenzo. "One of my best customers and daughter of one of my greatest patrons, her mother, Lady Cordelia."

"Mother will want to thank you personally for these potions," Lady Delia replies. "Expect her to come visit you after we've returned from Banbridge next month."

"I will be glad for her company," he says with a laugh and a smile like sunshine. "I'll set out the sweetmeats for her." He slaps his knee and then ruffles Mutt's neck hair with both hands. "You are such a good pup!"

Mutt wags his tail and barks once.

"I like your dog," Lady Delia says to Tuck. "I wish I could stay long and hear your story about the Old City Killer, but I have to get home before the fog becomes so thick, I'll have to swim through it." She dons her hood and puts one hand on Tim's forearm before she rushes out of the door with her bag of potions.

"We should escort her," Vinccenzo says to Spindle.

"No, she'd be offended," the old apothecary replies. "That woman can take care of herself. Trust me!" He turns to Tuck with his face more passive. "Tuck, my friend. You have some new friends, I see. Last I heard, you were helping the miners with some mission in the Undercity. Now you're helping the Sectarian Guard. What is it this time, eh? And what's this about the Old City Killer being a doppelganger?"

OOC: You guys can choose to make a Search check (DC 25) to go through the shop for Spindle and find the potion of neutralize poison.

I need to mention that my main PC has been sent for service to fix the keyboard and my old PC is very slow after upgrading it to Windows 10. So, right now, I'm on my sister's old laptop to write this update. So far, it hasn't hung up on me, but using it will be challenging. The keyboard is very different than what I'm used to and I can't be on it all the time, since it has Windows 7 Pro, which isn't as secure. It does have an up-to-date antivirus and firewall, so it should be fine, for now. (No using Facebook or my gaming programs on this machine.)

Updates will take more time and likely be less frequent for a week, at least. But, you never know.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Akos cannot make DC 25 search with +2 nor has he the inclination to do so. He WOULD offer to escort the lady (if we were in-person game where I could interrupt :)

Something to think about: he is half-fey...no longer human and vulnerable to iron...yet, iron is in his blood...maybe fey blood is green and nickel (magntic) or even copper (if magnetic is irrelevant) based :p

Also, I realized at some point I changed the color to green and it was blue earlier :)
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"That copse of trees is called a thicket for a reason. I doubt it's the safest place after dark and I wouldn't want to go in there in the fog,"

"I agree, but how thickety could it be in the middle of the town? Even if left to its own. Darkness and fog wouldn't make it easy, but it is small enough that anything like the well should be possible to find."
Muses Akos as they walk

It only takes about 15 minutes to make your way to the apothecary on the main streets. If you'd taken the side street along the wall near the Jade Thicket, it would have taken a lot longer. Vinccenzo asks Akos more about the story and the two are hopeful to discover if the legend is true.
"Well, to tell you the truth, I remembered the story and have general idea of its content. It would require research to find the original and maybe glean things lost to retelling. Most important part is that IF we find it, that means the city is in peril."

A young noblewoman in a hooded cloak comes out of the door just as Tuck is about to open it.
"Oh my!" She startles when she sees the adventurers! "Back you ruffians!"
Akos bows and makes room for her to pass
"Lady."

Spindle quickly appears at the door with a rake in his hand. "Back you louts! Don't hassle my customers! I won't pay the Sabers a bloody copper!" Then he sees Tuck and Mutt and relaxes. [/COLOR]
Akos looks at the apothecary with interest at this, but in general ignores the outburst until the boy is safe.

"Will, will he be alright?" A feminine voice asks. Lady Delia stands next to Tim watching in fascination. Her initial disgust seems to have past.

"I think he'll be okay," Spindle says with a smile. The old, gray-haired apothecary looks very tired, and he gladly lets Mutt nuzzle up to him as he sits down on an old wooden chair. "If I could find that potion in here, it would make short work of the poison and he'd be up on his feet right away, but with some rest, he'll be back to his old self in 3 or 4 days."
Akos bows again
"Thank you for your interest in a common man, lady, you are shining example of noble behaviour."
"Good, I'm glad," she replies. She turns to Tim and the others. "I'm sorry for my words. There is no excuse, but coming through that damn fog to see Spindle made me quite afraid. If the need hadn't been great, I wouldn't be out in this weather at all." She pulls down her hood to reveal ebony skin, pale green eyes, and golden hair. She is likely in her mid-thirties and is stunning to say the least.

"That's still no excuse for my boorish behavior," she replies with a bow. "Please forgive me as the eldest daughter of House of Frostraven."

"We will not hold it against you, the weather is terrible and there WAS an assassin about. If you want to hear about it, there are nobles and fine gentlemen in our group that can be called as guests without undue fuss."
Akos adds not very subtle emphasis on 'was' - all the better to whet the womans curiousity.

"This is Lady Delia Marian Frostraven," Spindle introduces her to Vinccenzo. "One of my best customers and daughter of one of my greatest patrons, her mother, Lady Cordelia."
[/QUOTE
"Charmed. Loremaster Ákos at your service."

He waits until she is gone and turns to the apothecary.
"Thank you for your prompt help, the boy wouldn't make it without you. I was planning on visiting you to see if there is anything for particular kind of affliction you might have, but there was never any rush. Until now. And now that I'm here, I'm more interested in this mention of Sabers you seem to have troubles with. We may be able to help if it will not take us from our other duties. It is the duty of the Elite after all to maintain order in the city."
Ákos thinks for a second as if only now remembering.
"How much for that potion? While saving life is worthy cause, your work needs support."
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck remembers a potion with a peculiar label from his last visit, when he passed the time browsing the apothecary while Mutt was being treated. He moves over to the cluttered shelf where he last saw it, and after looking at several potions, he grabs another one and...

"Found it!" the kobold yells excitedly, as he holds it up for Spindle to inspect.

He turns to Tuck with his face more passive. "Tuck, my friend. You have some new friends, I see. Last I heard, you were helping the miners with some mission in the Undercity. Now you're helping the Sectarian Guard. What is it this time, eh? And what's this about the Old City Killer being a doppelganger?"

Tuck shrugs as he hands over the potion.

"Caught the bragging bastard today," he refers to the doppelganger. "If he hadn't been so boastful, we wouldn't have known about this poor boy, and we certainly wouldn't have gotten him to you in time."

Carefully the kobold produces the poisoned dagger.

"There is still poison left on the blade we took from the killer. I suppose you need it?"

Then, sheepishly, Tuck lowers his gaze when Akos asks how much the potion costs. "Or is there another way to repay your services?"

 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top