log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth



Upon seeing the creature, Tim's eyes widen, as he realizes that this must be his intended prey! Knowing that lives are at stake, and having heard the creature brag about its skills as a murderer, Tim does not hold back; he swings low with the greatsword, raking the blade across the creature's legs, to throw it off balance; the follow-up is, however, the more brutal attack. Tim leans into the creature's space, taking advantage of his relative size, and brings Rizvan crashing down, full force, upon the thing's skull! There is a sickening crunch as the hardened shield meets flesh and bone...
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
AKOS ARRIVES AT THE MILL OF HOOVES:
Akos is not one for doubting himself. With his knowledge of the city he fancies he could get anywhere blindly. Trusting the feel of cobblestones under his feet, gritty feel of fine dust and not quite smell that always hangs around the stables, he continues his headless flight in the fog. He trusts into his armor skin for occasional misalignment of his body, slamming the shoulder into a wall in his haste to go through narrow alleyway and into his luck not to run straight onto wary guards iron spear-point or unwary footpads that would dare to stand in his way.
Akos finds his way through the fog towards the stables most of the way. Then, he is forced to stop for a moment at an intersection. He knows the way, the but the deepening fog makes him hesitate. A horse whinny in the distance to his left sets him off in that direction, but half-way down the next block, he realizes he is going the wrong way. He turns around and heads back the way he came and has a narrow miss with a carriage rushing through the street in the dark and fog. If it hadn't had lamp lights hanging next to the coachman and the trotting of horse hooves, Akos likely would have been run over.

Damn nobles!

Akos finds his way to the Mill of Hooves and rushes into the stables through its double doors, slightly ajar. Inside, the large barn is full of horses deep in repose. If there is something wrong, the horses don't seem to be bothered by it. Akos does not smell blood in the air. Wherever the boy is, the doppelganger hasn't left him someplace obvious. Akos is forced to search the stables including the loft. He finds a back door flung open and young Joseph Dale a dozen feet beyond in the alley with hay scattered over him.

Neurotic said:
OOC: the moment he sees the body in the stables he hits it with healing blast. With some luck he will shave off some seconds of the healing needed. Or waste them if there are dead bodies there :)
The healing stabilizes the boy, but Akos can tell that there is something else wrong, when he examines the lad. A deep dagger wound has healed but the skin around it remains discolored. It is a putrid blue and black color. The boy has been poisoned.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"No time to waste, but I cannot leave my friends to that assassin either. Where could this boy go? Temple? Which one is close? But I cannot carry him, he will have to do it himself. Lets see..."

Akos thinks quickly about the optimal way to do this. First, wake the boy. At his command, his wide belt pulses and golden glow settles over the boy even as the blessing of his queen flows into him. That should wake even those almost dead.

"Come on, boy, you need to get yourself to the temple! I'll help you through the fog, but we must go immediately. My friends are in danger."
Local knowledge (find the closest temple on the way back): 1D20+11 = [5]+11 = 16

Akos sighs and checks the wound - his healing may have made things worse since there is no cut for the poison to go out of. At least he has a small sample at where the edges of the wound were since blood is no longer washing it away.

Heal check - against poison: 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22


Actions:
1. Healing belt: 2D8 = [3, 8] = 11
2. Vernal touch - removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued and exhausted from the living creatures
3 (assuming the boy wakes up) - push him as fast as he can go to the nearest temple that is in general direction of the fight. Unless there is one quite close the opposite way (so Akos can make up the time lost by running back)
3 (boy does NOT wake up) - heal against the poison - roll extras if there is something that would help identify it (arcana et al)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva knows he is facing a deadly creature. A shapeshifter than can also damage the mind and soul is something to be respected if not feared. He moves towards where the doppelganger moved towards after the paladin's failed strike. He moves quickly and without hesitation. He is surprised to come upon the creature skulking towards what appears to be a large shape in the fog.

The doppelganger is just as surprised to see Breva, as the paladin slices a wide arc with his greatsword. The beast manages to duck the swing, which is a bit higher than Breva had wanted. The paladin remains stoic as the doppelganger counters once with its dagger. The strike is very clumsy and blocks it easily with his shield. The doppelganger loses the serrated blad on the ground and it curses at the paladin in a guttural language.




Upon seeing the creature, Tim's eyes widen, as he realizes that this must be his intended prey! Knowing that lives are at stake, and having heard the creature brag about its skills as a murderer, Tim does not hold back; he swings low with the greatsword, raking the blade across the creature's legs, to throw it off balance; the follow-up is, however, the more brutal attack. Tim leans into the creature's space, taking advantage of his relative size, and brings Rizvan crashing down, full force, upon the thing's skull! There is a sickening crunch as the hardened shield meets flesh and bone...
Tim arrives on the scene just in time to witness the doppelganger try to stick Breva with its dagger. Breva knocks the blade away with his shield and the monstrous humanoid drops the blade.

With its attention squarely on Breva, it doesn't see Tim come up behind him before its too late to ready itself. The greatsword slices deep into the creature's legs and it screams like a dying horse. The doppelganger grabs at its thighs just as Rizvan slams down on its head and shoulder. The creature gasps and stumbles and then howls in agony.

Somehow, the creature manages to stay upright.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The fog parts for a moment and Vinccenzo is able to clear see the doppelganger is combat with both Breva and Big Tim. The sectarian guard takes aim with his light crossbow and fires. The bolt impacts the doppelganger's shoulder and embeds itself. "Ha! Got it!"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck stands very still, as he knows sounds travel strangely in these mists. Is that the doppelganger's footsteps? Aha!

The kobold rushes forward, only to scare cat rummaging through some trash.

Mutt likewise gets confused as the dog cannot find its target, despite his sensitive nose. There are just so many smells and the sounds of various people and creatures about!

OOC: Tuck listen: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5
Tuck spot: 1D20-2 = [13]-2 = 11
Mutt listen: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Mutt spot: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10


So I'm guessing both Tuck and Mutt get lost in the mists. (Ravenloft, here we come. ;) )
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ooc: 'fun' fact...I mentioned Ravenloft in a game yesterday (swamp, mists, undead infestation...you know, the works ). The guys are somewhat younger than my 43 ranging 27 to 35. The reaction? 'What? Ravenloft? Never heard of it. Is that a campaign?' Only one recognized it vaguely like something he saw in a computer game...I mean come on it's a classic!
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Ravenloft, heh. No you're not going there. Actually, Tuck's Spot check beats the doppelganger's hide check for this round (posted on the OOC thread). Mutt both sees and hears the doppelganger. Basically, the fog seems to part for this round. A lucky break.

The doppelganger has Breva on one side of it and Big Tim on the other. Tuck and Mutt are roughly 25 feet away from it on the side where Breva is standing. Vinccenzo is off to Tuck's right, about 15 feet away but about five feet farther away. Tuck can move in and flank with Big Tim next to Breva.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Nice! Guess I was looking at the numbers for last round. Well, here is my adjusted action then! :)


Just when the kobold is about to give up, the mist seems to part enough for him and Mutt to see the doppelganger, engaged by Breva and Big Tim.

Not about to lose his target again, and not wanting to risk shooting his allies, Tuck closes in quickly and with his fine shortsword, starts harrassing the killer from another angle.

"Around," he orders Mutt as the large canine leaps forward as well, not listening to the order yet but nearly pushing its owner aside in order to get his fangs into the shapeshifter.

OOC: Tuck attacks with +1 shortsword: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
Damage: 1D4 = [4] = 4

Mutt attacks with bite: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
Damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6


If there are any bonuses from the doppelganger being in melee with now 4 enemies, add those to the numbers rolled.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just when the kobold is about to give up, the mist seems to part enough for him and Mutt to see the doppelganger, engaged by Breva and Big Tim.

Not about to lose his target again, and not wanting to risk shooting his allies, Tuck closes in quickly and with his fine shortsword, starts harrassing the killer from another angle.

"Around," he orders Mutt as the large canine leaps forward as well, not listening to the order yet but nearly pushing its owner aside in order to get his fangs into the shapeshifter.

OOC: Tuck attacks with +1 shortsword: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
Damage: 1D4 = [4] = 4
Mutt attacks with bite: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
Damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6


If there are any bonuses from the doppelganger being in melee with now 4 enemies, add those to the numbers rolled.
OOC: With flanking, Tuck's attack roll is 14 and Mutt's is 17. Unfortunately, both of those are still misses.

Tuck's blade comes close to the doppelganger but the shapeshifter is quite agile and avoids the sword. Mutt's teeth come closer to the creature's torso but still miss the mark.

The three heroes and Mutt have the doppelganger surrounded and the creature finally looks concerned. Then, the fog begins to creep back in and the shapeshifter's face turns malevolent.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"No time to waste, but I cannot leave my friends to that assassin either. Where could this boy go? Temple? Which one is close? But I cannot carry him, he will have to do it himself. Lets see..."

Akos thinks quickly about the optimal way to do this. First, wake the boy. At his command, his wide belt pulses and golden glow settles over the boy even as the blessing of his queen flows into him. That should wake even those almost dead.
The healing energy from Akos' belt closes a series of defensive wounds on the boys arms and hands. Yet, the boy does nor stir.

Neurotic said:
Akos sighs and checks the wound - his healing may have made things worse since there is no cut for the poison to go out of. At least he has a small sample at where the edges of the wound were since blood is no longer washing it away.

OOC: Actions:
1. Healing belt: 2D8 = [3, 8] = 11
2. Vernal touch - removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued and exhausted from the living creatures
3 (boy does NOT wake up) - heal against the poison - roll extras if there is something that would help identify it (arcana et al)
Akos can tell that the boy has been poisoned from a magical blade. The venom in Joseph will need to be purged from the body with a neutralize poison spell. The putrid color of the poison is snaking out from the wound towards the boy's heart and head. Even the healed cuts on his hands and arms have this blue-black coloration to them. Akos realizes he must act quickly to save the boy before the secondary effects of the poison kill the child.

With the right concoction, the loremaster can delay the poison until he can get Joseph to a healer the right spell. He'll need liquid other than water and both Valley Nettles and Duck Berries. Searching the converted mill, he finds a handful of nettles mixed with some hay but has to search longer to find any duck berries. Usually they grow on vines up the walls of buildings but scouring the nearby buildings finds nothing. Akos gets desperate, and is forced to pick through the horse manure in hopes someone fed one of the horses some berries. He finds four near perfect specimens in one large, dried drop and cleans them and himself in a large bucket filled with rainwater.

While disgusting, being forced to do the dirty work gives Akos an idea for the liquid. He checks the horses and finds a mare that still has some milk. The horse balks at his touch at first, but then calms down long enough for the loremaster to get enough in an old cup for the concoction to keep the boy from dying. He quickly grinds up the nettles and berries on a flat stone and mixes them in the milk. He adds a sprinkle of crushed rose petal to counteract any sort of gag reflex the Joseph might encounter if the boy wakes right away.

He pours the entire mixture down the boy's throat, carefully, and then waits. He watches as Joseph's color improves. The boy breathes easier. he coughs once before settling into a deep sleep. He'll live, for now. Akos' knows the concoction will only last a few hours, but will give him time to get the boy to a healer, after the doppelganger is dealt with. He places Joseph on some dry hay and covers the boy with a horse blanket.

Akos rushes back out into streets and trys to find his way back to the others through the fog, which is getting worse. There is almost something malevolent to the nature of the fog. Akos has never seen it this thick in Bluffside.

OOC: Make another Knowledge (local) check. (The DC is now 20.) If you make a successful Knowledge (arcana) check [DC 15], you get a +2 bonus on your Knowledge (local) check.

At this point, it will take until round six for Akos to get back to the others. If you beat the check by five or more, that becomes only two rounds. Beat it by 10 or more and it becomes one. Failure means it will take Akos four rounds to get back to the others.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Arcana; Local: 1D20+13 = [7]+13 = 20; 1D20+11 = [19]+11 = 30
Arcana DC 20 made (barely) so +2 to Local for a total of 32 :D

OOC: note that Akos has penalties to Spot and Listen so he may easily miss the whole thing :D
Both skills are at -2

Akos never worked so fast in his life. It may be that the fog is fey and that even time dilated around him. It may be that Titania herself, may her leaves never fall off, took interest in this mortal boy. But when he started back toward the fight he essentially bumped into them after only couple of turns in the streets. A miracle! Or they just moved closer by chance. "Miracle! Oooo, this fog has never been so thick. And it feels weird. How did it get here, what kind of magic could be responsible for something like this?" Akos thinks as he runs, his mind never one for focusing too long on any one subject. His mercurial nature makes it hard for him to pay attention to his surroundings.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva pushes his advantage against the doppelganger and brings his light-generating sword down in powerful arc. The blade would have bit deep into the shapechange if the thickening fog wasn't distorting where the doppelganger is standing. The blade strikes the cobblestones and Beva's second swing doesn't even come close, as the mists swirl around him.

What happens next is... odd.

The shapechanger seems to shift away from Breva and the others, as the light spell on Vinccenzo's fired crossbow bolt embedded in the doppelganger's shoulder seems to move awkwardly to Breva's left (Tim's right) next to Tuck. For a moment, it looks like the creature might have moved but the light settles near Tuck's left foot.

A cry emanates from the shapechanger that sounds like an angry gnoll gnashing its teeth. The doppelganger slams its fist towards Big Tim. The stike is powerful, but in the fog, it misjudges where the big half-ogre is standing. It makes another sound like a whining child. "No! No! No!"
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

Tim swooshes Rizvan at the thing's head once more, but he misses, mis-judging the distance in the fog; not that it would have mattered, since the creature was cowering and backing away, and was not in the same position as Tim expected him to be in.

But the shield whooshing through the fog causes a small portion of it to clear momentarily, allowing Tim the perfect opportunity to stab the creature; this time, his aim is true, as he thrusts the blade into the creature's side, causing it great pain, bringing it ever closer to its own mortality!
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim swooshes Rizvan at the thing's head once more, but he misses, mis-judging the distance in the fog; not that it would have mattered, since the creature was cowering and backing away, and was not in the same position as Tim expected him to be in.

But the shield whooshing through the fog causes a small portion of it to clear momentarily, allowing Tim the perfect opportunity to stab the creature; this time, his aim is true, as he thrusts the blade into the creature's side, causing it great pain, bringing it ever closer to its own mortality!
The blade cuts a deep gash and the doppelganger screams like a dying hellbeast. "Must get away!"

"Not today, creature," Vinccenzo taunts as he draws his rapier and moves in to help surround the doppelganger. "There is nowhere for you to go except the grave! You will kill no more innocents!"

The guard uses the light from Breva's sword to find his way to the melee, but in the fog, it takes him a few more steps than normal. He moves in next to Breva with Tuck several steps to his left and the dog Mutt to his right.

OOC: Vinccenzo had to move more than 30 feet to enter melee, so he cannot attack this round.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
”Darned fog,” Tuck mutters to himself as the doppelganger momentarily moves out of his sight. Now that the kobold knows where his opponent is, however, he can follow it on hearing alone.

He stabs forward with his blade, but it misses by several inches. Apparently hearing it is not enough to accurately hit it!

Mutt is likewise confused, but its jaws come much closer to the doppelganger. Still, it misses again.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
”Darned fog,” Tuck mutters to himself as the doppelganger momentarily moves out of his sight. Now that the kobold knows where his opponent is, however, he can follow it on hearing alone.

He stabs forward with his blade, but it misses by several inches. Apparently hearing it is not enough to accurately hit it!

Mutt is likewise confused, but its jaws come much closer to the doppelganger. Still, it misses again.
The doppelganger seems to shift and sway in the fog. Then, the fog parts again.

Breva pushes his advantage and strikes out twice at the creature. His greatsword slams hard into the shapechanger with the first blow and does a glancing blow to the creature's thigh. The doppelganger is unsteady on its feet its head turning this way and that, looking for some kind of escape.

Breva watches as the shapechanger's face seems to shit and a low-humming noise issues from around the creature. Then a screen of force energy appears in front of it. It seems to move with the creature, as it tries to flee. It rushes in between Big Tim and Mutt heading away from the others.

OOC:
Doppelganger - Manifest Force Screen Defensively (Concentration check) : 1D20+16 = [5]+16 = 21 (+4 shield bonus to AC)

Big Tim and Mutt both get attacks of opportunity. The doppelganger's AC is now 24 with the Force Screen (25 vs. Big Tim).


Somewhere from the fog comes the sound of flapping robes and slapping sandals, as if some mad monk is running crazily (blindly) through the murk.
Akos follows the glowing fog, which seems to be guilding him back to the fight. As he nears, he can make out who he thinks is Breva and Vinccenzo roughly 25 feet away. Then, the fog clears slightly revealing Big Tim and Tuck, and he sees a figure dash away from the group to the northeast.

OOC: If the doppelganger survives the AoOs, then it will move its full 30 ft. of movement away from the PCs. It moves diagonally twice (15 ft.) and then three more squares (15 ft.). If this happens, Akos is the next to act. He will have to make a Spot and Listen check, as the doppelganger will be harder to see at that distance. No penalty for Listen but -4 for Spot.
 


Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top