log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]


log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim readies both sword and shield, as he taunts the evil thing in the fog, "Please, oh master of stealth, come, teach us about fear; where numbers give us the edge, the fog is the equalizer, is it not? Don't pass up such a grand opportunity for the sake of cowardice. Please, I want to know. What is there to fear in the darkness? Show me."

Big Tim tries to listen very closely for any sounds of movement in the fog; he is also scanning his environs visually, although the fog proves to be a significant hindrance.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos looks around and frowns. He was good at reading people, but this is not people. And he cannot see him/her/it. But his strength is in his head. The knowledge, the detailed memory of facts and books, and bits and pieces all connecting to a greater whole.

"I know where the boy is." he tells others
"Begone, foul thing!"
The pulse of energy, golden-green, shortly brightens the fog. He ignores the effects, starting for what he thinks the stable in question might be.

OOC: Akos is getting crazy with knowledge rolls (except for trolls)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ticinum Delagacy:
Falen:
Remaining silent through Praefectus Casca's description of events, he studies the Lord's facial characteristics. Yes, this one would make quite a lovely face to add to his repertoire. Falen's eyebrows raise upon knowledge of Avitus' demise. He had heard of the Rising Swords, and frankly, it's not particularly surprising that Avitus would find himself, by accident or on purpose, at their bidding. They had a tendency to be...persuasive. Something is obviously amiss. Thinking quickly, he addresses Casca, "Praefectus Casca, thank you for informing me of these matters. It occurs to me that I should inquire as to the manner, and perhaps some detail, of Legatus Avitus' demise. I can not presume your scribe to correspond with his personal acquaintance. I was unaware of their relationship. I beg of you to provide more detail if possible; Lord Max will certainly want to know. And candidly, the Lord of Ravenhill is known to be three things: a spendthrift, having a loyalty to his friends and retainers, and driven to some excess upon acquiring bad news. Would you or Scribe Amphion be willing to share with me something I might provide him to temper his...intemperance? "

Regardless of Lord Casca's response, Falen will defer to Scribe Amphion as the Praefectus instructs. He will study closely Scrive Amphion's facial expressions.
"Legatus Avitus was stabbed through the back. He was found slumped over here at his desk," the praefectus motions to the desk once again. "The wound was likely made by a long, serrated dagger. Whoever did this managed to find his way into the embassy without any of the guards noticing or setting off any of the building's magical defenses, which have always been adequate before."

"Legatus Avitus had requested the Emperor send a Magus to inspect the embassy to see if more protections were needed," Scriba Amphion adds. "I helped him write the letter himself and had it sent off just last month. The Emperor hasn't replied yet."

"Assuming he got it," Casca says.

"I told the courier to come back here and inform Legatus Avitus, personally, once it was delivered. He returned here from Ticinum a week and a half later and ensured the legatus it had been hand delivered."

Praefectus Casca turns back to Falen. "Regardless, the assassin, and I do believe the killer was a hired assassin, got in, killed the legatus, and got out without being seen by anyone. If you feel you must give the letter to a family member instead of Scriba Amphion, you might have to take to to Ticinum. I don't believe the legatus had any family here."

"There is one," the scribes notes. "Lady Oppia Nazaria. She is a distant cousin of his and lives the Temple District. They had a chilly relationship."

"Very well," Praefectus Casca says. "You may deliver it to her, if your prefer. Or Scriba Amphion can take it and see that it is delivered to legatus's widow in Ticinum."

Aust Thale said:
In closing, Falen suddenly snaps to, as if recalling something odd, " Praefectus Casca, is it in the habit of Bluffside's elite guardsmen or their regulars to "shake down" newcomers to Bluffside? I don't mean ordinary taking advantage; I mean overt threats for those without credentials to the city? I ran into a guard Sargeant, a 'Vonner' fellow, upon my reaching the city, intercepted me for a few minutes, demanding a toll. I complied as my mission was more important than my pride. However, as these Rising Swords or Arreptitii appear to be less than quiet about their business now, I wonder if this Vonner fellow or his ilk would be susceptible to their graces and charms? It has been my observation as a courier that external meddling nearly always relies on internal discontent or corruption."

Falen intends this latter query to simultaneously document his encounter with Vonner, if for no other reason than to cast suspicion on his sort of asshattery, but also to tease out more information from Lord Casca and Scribe Amphion about Bluffside and this situation.

Praefectus Casca sits back in his chair. "The guards in this city are in a state of chaos right now. New City is a mess. Old City isn't much better. Rumor is that the Regulars are spread thin and fraying under the strain. I've never heard of this 'Vonner' fellow you speak of, but he sounds like a typical corrupt Regular and Bluffside has plenty of those even though The Five would have you think their guards are all shining examples of goodness and grace. Bah! No city this size is free from corruption."

"Which is why the guards that protect this embassy are brought in from Ticinum," the scribe adds. "Not every embassy in the city uses their own guards or can afford too."

"That is how mercenaries like the Rising Swords worm their way into cities. I doubt there are any of them are working in Bluffside as guards. You can always see them coming. They rarely hide their allegiance during a fight, but they will skulk around the fringes of society looking for work. I would suspect them of the Legatus Avitus's death if he wasn't completely under their thumb. Whoever these Arreptitii are, they could have killed him or their master. The documents on his desk are vague and covered in blood."

He pauses. "Vonner could be in their pocket. Or he could just be a monster of a man. You could go to the Bluffside Barracks here in Old City and report him or go to the Tribunal and issue a formal request for justice."

"That will take longer and the Regulars won't like that you went outside their power structure," the scribe adds.

"Yes, yes. At the very least, find a man named Lord Commander Reginald Oakfirst. He is the supreme commander of the Regulars and the Bluffside Elite. I can vouch that he is a good man and doesn't tolerate corruption. Best to look for him at the Tribunal."
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: I'm back! :)


Tuck narrows his eyes as the voice of a man - or is it not a man at all? - comes from the fog. Unless the killer has some magical way of seeing, there is no way he could see them when they cannot see him; obviously, magics are at work. And that means the killer is likely not even there, physically.

For good measure, the kobold quickly fires a bolt from his small handheld crossbow into the general area of where the voice resounds, not expecting it to hit anything.

OOC: Attacking a general area, so feel free to substract whatever numbers from the roll:
attack: 1D20+12 = [9]+12 = 21 (minus whatever)
damage: 1D3+1 = [2]+1 = 3
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva readies his weapon and reaches out with this divine senses trying to detect the evil thing in the fog.
Breva manages to detect an evil presence in the fog and that whatever it is could be deadly to him and his new allies. The foe tries to scamper away and Breva can tell that who or whatever it is isn't trying to be overtly stealthy.
I'm assuming that Breva starting detecting evil from the moment the killer started speaking. He is able to discern one evil aura in the area and that it is a moderate aura. In the first round of combat, he can discern the direction of the aura but since he doesn't have line of sight (since he didn't make a successful Spot check), he cannot pinpoint the killers exact location. Your listen check was successful, however.

Tim readies both sword and shield, as he taunts the evil thing in the fog, "Please, oh master of stealth, come, teach us about fear; where numbers give us the edge, the fog is the equalizer, is it not? Don't pass up such a grand opportunity for the sake of cowardice. Please, I want to know. What is there to fear in the darkness? Show me."
Tim's bravado is met only with laughing that slowly becomes more distant as the killer moves away.

Tellerian Hawke said:

Big Tim tries to listen very closely for any sounds of movement in the fog; he is also scanning his environs visually, although the fog proves to be a significant hindrance.
Even with the light from the streetlamps, Tim is unable to see the killer in the fog. It isn't hard for him to hear the foe fleeing away in the opposite direction of the two boys that the Tim and the others spoke to moments before. The footfalls of a single foe are clear on the cobblestones.

Akos looks around and frowns. He was good at reading people, but this is not people. And he cannot see him/her/it. But his strength is in his head. The knowledge, the detailed memory of facts and books, and bits and pieces all connecting to a greater whole.

"I know where the boy is." he tells others
"Begone, foul thing!"
The pulse of energy, golden-green, shortly brightens the fog. He ignores the effects, starting for what he thinks the stable in question might be.
Akos knos he has two options and likely only moments to pick the right one. While the Blossom's stables are close by, the Mill of Hooves is looked after by youngsters. Young Joseph could be lying near death among the horses of that converted windmill, and it is closer to the nearest gate leading out of the district.

He heads for the repurposed mill and hopes he get there in time.

OOC: # of Rounds: # of rounds: 1D4-1 = [3]-1 = 2

Neurotic said:
Sense Motive: Akos has no sense that the creature is trying to bluff the PCs and if their is a magical enchantment in play, he cannot sense it.
Knowledge (local): Akos knows that the nearest public stable is attached to an old inn known as The Heavenly Blossom. Its patrons are always nobles and wealthy merchants. Its stables are attended to by an old widower (and soldier) named Marcus Woulfe who never had any children or lets youngsters anywhere near his stables. The inn's owner is an old elf named Tarathiel Xilven who rents primarily to 'unattached' nobles. (It is the closer of the two stables.)

The other nearby stable is a private edifice (called the Mill of Hooves) that serves three different merchant families known as the Alards, Higates, and Stavertons. The old converted windmill and outbuilding is tended to by several young children that are the servants of the three families. The oldest of these children is a 15-year-old boy named Joseph Dale who looks after the horses during the evening. He is the favored servant (and some whisper illegitimate son) of Lord Fulchard Higate. He often sleeps in the stables at night.
Knowledge (religion): Akos is pretty sure he isn't dealing with some sort of undead creature, especially since there is no reaction to his turning attempt vs. the foe. The killer could be an worshiper of some sort of obscure death deity or a archfiend but he can't be certain. If the foe does worship a local deity the most obvious choices are the Frozen One or the Sufferer.

The second deity is the better choice of the two since the Sufferer is also known as the Hidden God, Lurker, and Dark Savior. There is no known temple to the Sufferer in Bluffside, although there are tons of rumors that place such a temple in the Undercity or out on the floating city of Sordadon. If this killer is devoted to the Frozen One, he might have been cast out of the Winged Death temple located in the Temple District. The clerics of that temple are known to have hardened inquisitors among their ranks. The Frozen One is also known as Lord of Ice, Ice Demon, Icy Death, and Mimawr (a deceased ancient deity that the Frozen One subsumed into its faith).

Tuck narrows his eyes as the voice of a man - or is it not a man at all? - comes from the fog. Unless the killer has some magical way of seeing, there is no way he could see them when they cannot see him; obviously, magics are at work. And that means the killer is likely not even there, physically.

For good measure, the kobold quickly fires a bolt from his small handheld crossbow into the general area of where the voice resounds, not expecting it to hit anything.

OOC: Attacking a general area, so feel free to substract whatever numbers from the roll:
attack: 1D20+12 = [9]+12 = 21 (minus whatever)
damage: 1D3+1 = [2]+1 = 3
OOC: Both your Spot and Listen check were successful, so no miss chance!

Tuck's ears manage to take into account the echoing of the voice against the nearby buildings. The sound is muted by the fog but his keen ears guide his aim. Then Akos' turning light brightens the fog and Tuck clearly sees the outline of a humanoid form in the mist, as it parts for just a moment. His fired bolt finds its mark against the foe before it disappears back into the fog.

The creature hissed in anger as it rushes away. "You should not hurt me or I will paint you," the voice rasps in anger. Then Tuck hears a female voice in the misty darkness.

"Gods, no, get away from me! Someone help, help please!" Then the voice screams.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Flapping of priest sandals recedes in the distance as he runs toward the Mill of Hooves.

OOC: full double move
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Doppelganger!" Tuck calls out as he thinks he recognizes the whispering killer in the fog, and the kobold wastes no time in readying another crossbow bolt.

"Get him quickly!" he calls out to the others, afraid the shapeshifting creature will be impossible to find if it gets away.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Doppelganger!" Tuck calls out as he thinks he recognizes the whispering killer in the fog, and the kobold wastes no time in readying another crossbow bolt.
"Get him quickly!"
OOC: Run after it, don't load ranged weapons! :) And you have a dog! And...And...huff puff I don't have combat ready spells, but faerie fire could help. If I wasn't running away. Chicken fey :p
 



Aust Thale

Explorer
Ticinum Delagacy:

"Legatus Avitus was stabbed through the back. He was found slumped over here at his desk," the praefectus motions to the desk once again. "The wound was likely made by a long, serrated dagger. Whoever did this managed to find his way into the embassy without any of the guards noticing or setting off any of the building's magical defenses, which have always been adequate before."

"Legatus Avitus had requested the Emperor send a Magus to inspect the embassy to see if more protections were needed," Scriba Amphion adds. "I helped him write the letter himself and had it sent off just last month. The Emperor hasn't replied yet."

"Assuming he got it," Casca says.

"I told the courier to come back here and inform Legatus Avitus, personally, once it was delivered. He returned here from Ticinum a week and a half later and ensured the legatus it had been hand delivered."

Praefectus Casca turns back to Falen. "Regardless, the assassin, and I do believe the killer was a hired assassin, got in, killed the legatus, and got out without being seen by anyone. If you feel you must give the letter to a family member instead of Scriba Amphion, you might have to take to to Ticinum. I don't believe the legatus had any family here."

"There is one," the scribes notes. "Lady Oppia Nazaria. She is a distant cousin of his and lives the Temple District. They had a chilly relationship."

"Very well," Praefectus Casca says. "You may deliver it to her, if your prefer. Or Scriba Amphion can take it and see that it is delivered to legatus's widow in Ticinum."


Praefectus Casca sits back in his chair. "The guards in this city are in a state of chaos right now. New City is a mess. Old City isn't much better. Rumor is that the Regulars are spread thin and fraying under the strain. I've never heard of this 'Vonner' fellow you speak of, but he sounds like a typical corrupt Regular and Bluffside has plenty of those even though The Five would have you think their guards are all shining examples of goodness and grace. Bah! No city this size is free from corruption."

"Which is why the guards that protect this embassy are brought in from Ticinum," the scribe adds. "Not every embassy in the city uses their own guards or can afford too."

"That is how mercenaries like the Rising Swords worm their way into cities. I doubt their are any of them are working in Bluffside as guards. You can always see them coming. They rarely hide their allegiance during a fight, but they will skulk around the fringes of society looking for work. I would suspect them of the Legatus Avitus's death if he wasn't completely under their thumb. Whoever these Arreptitii are, they could have killed him or their master. The documents on his desk are vague and covered in blood."

He pauses. "Vonner could be in their pocket. Or he could just be a monster of a man. You could go to the Bluffside Barracks here in Old City and report him or go to the Tribunal and issue a formal request for justice."

"That will take longer and the Regulars won't like that you went outside their power structure," the scribe adds.

"Yes, yes. At the very least, find a man named Lord Commander Reginald Oakfirst. He is the supreme commander of the Regulars and the Bluffside Elite. I can vouch that he is a good man and doesn't tolerate corruption. Best to look for him at the Tribunal."

FALEN:
Falen remains stone-faced, careful to not give away his disdain at the lack of more substantive investigation. These fellows seem rather resigned to Legatus Avitus' death. He responds to Casca's suggestion, "Thank you, Praefectus Casca. I appreciate your time. If you don't mind, I should like to retire and deliver to Lady Oppia Nazaria in the daylight. Scribe Amphion, if you don't mind, if it turns out that this is indeed a diplomatic matter and not a personal one, I shall bring it to you tomorrow evening. If not, consider this business concluded by tomorrow evening."

As he fully expects Scribe Amphion to be the one leading him to his lodging, he turns and asks one last question to the two of them, "How again did you discover these Rising Swords had Legatus Avitus under their control? Magic. Simple bribery. Or was he like-minded anyway?"
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
FALEN:
Falen remains stone-faced, careful to not give away his disdain at the lack of more substantive investigation. These fellows seem rather resigned to Legatus Avitus' death. He responds to Casca's suggestion, "Thank you, Praefectus Casca. I appreciate your time. If you don't mind, I should like to retire and deliver to Lady Oppia Nazaria in the daylight. Scribe Amphion, if you don't mind, if it turns out that this is indeed a diplomatic matter and not a personal one, I shall bring it to you tomorrow evening. If not, consider this business concluded by tomorrow evening."

As he fully expects Scribe Amphion to be the one leading him to his lodging, he turns and asks one last question to the two of them, "How again did you discover these Rising Swords had Legatus Avitus under their control? Magic. Simple bribery. Or was he like-minded anyway?"
"As I said, someone was blackmailing him. It was in the letters on his desk. We've put it away for now," the praefectus replies. "The details of the blackmail weren't mentioned in the parchments but the the blackmailer's intent was clear — comply or face the ruination of Legatus Avitus position here in Bluffside and his life."

"It is possible that he grew tired of being under the blackmailer's thumb," Scriba Amphion notes. "And he refused to help them anymore, although there wasn't any letters or other writings where he mentions refusing them or penning a confession. The parchments are in a locked chest in the armory. Two guards are watching the door."

"You can look them over in the morning, if you wish," Praefectus Casca suggests. His tone tells Falen that the conversation is over. Falen can tell the man is tired, even weary.

Scriba Amphion salutes the praefectus and motions for Falen to follow him. He leads the unseen seer out of the room and back to the anteroom. He points to the left. "Through there is a hallway that will lead you to the barracks for the embassy. At the end of the hall, you will find one door to your left and two others to your right. Don't go into the door on your left. That is where the guards sleep. The first door on the left is the privy and the second door is room for the servants of visiting dignitaries. It's empty right now, so you'll have the room all to yourself. There are two small beds. Feel free to push them together."

The scribe goes back to his desk and goes back to his work. He glances at Falen before beginning to write. "Personally, I do not believe that Legatus Avitus was under any sort of magical charm. The letters have no mention of payment for his compliance either. He was under threat. Whatever it was must have been life or death. The legatus was a good man." He pauses. "If you like, I shall write an introduction for Lady Oppia Nazaria and have it delivered tonight. That way she will be expecting you. And I can send word to Lord Commander Reginald Oakfirst that you wish to meet with him."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Doppelganger!" Tuck calls out as he thinks he recognizes the whispering killer in the fog, and the kobold wastes no time in readying another crossbow bolt.

"Get him quickly!" he calls out to the others, afraid the shapeshifting creature will be impossible to find if it gets away.
OOC:
Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17


Breva steps into the fog, his blade at the ready. He turns his head carefully in the direction of the sound he heard. So hard to see. Was that a footfall?
Breva can sense the creature in the mist and takes two long strides to his right and brings down his greatsword. The doppelganger is there for only a moment in the swirling fog but the blade slices only air and bounces off the cobblestone street. Breva can still sense the killer is within reach and hears a blade slide from a sheath. But instead of the snik of blade, Breva feels a mental force lash against his mind.

OOC: Doppelganger: Ego whip (8 point augment; Will DC 20, save for half damage, dazed 1 rd. on failed save) >
Charisma damage: 3D4 = [3, 2, 4] = 9

Normally, I use the psionics are different rules, but I don't think I ever mentioned that, so for this campaign will go RAW.


Tim seems confused, "Dopple--what?"
~Whatever it is, it seems intent upon hurting innocents. I must act now!~

Tim rushes blindly into the fog, in the direction of scream, hoping to get close enough to the creature to be able to see him.
Tim finds himself lost in the haze with only the slight glow of the district's nearby street lamp behind him. He knows this is where the sound came from but he finds no one. Instead he walks into a high fence surrounding one of the fancy manor houses.

Then the sound of metal hitting stone echoes to his ears but it muted by the thick fog. And Tim can sense it is getting thicker. Soon, he won't be able to see anything unless it is right on top of him.

Vinccenzo looks and listens for any signs of the doppelganger. A moment before Breva strikes with his blade, the Sectarian Guards trained ears manages to catch the sound of the doppelganger moving in the fog. He moves forward and casts a light spell on one of his crossbow bolts and sets it in his crossbow. If he can pinpoint the creature again, he could give the others a lit target to hit.



Akos on the Run:
Flapping of priest sandals recedes in the distance as he runs toward the Mill of Hooves.

OOC: full double move
Akos only has his knowledge of the district to guide his senses as the fog thickens around him. He knows he's going the right way, but one misstep could put him on the wrong path.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos is not one for doubting himself. With his knowledge of the city he fancies he could get anywhere blindly. Trusting the feel of cobblestones under his feet, gritty feel of fine dust and not quite smell that always hangs around the stables, he continues his headless flight in the fog. He trusts into his armor skin for occasional misalignment of his body, slamming the shoulder into a wall in his haste to go through narrow alleyway and into his luck not to run straight onto wary guards iron spear-point or unwary footpads that would dare to stand in his way.

OOC: the moment he sees the body in the stables he hits it with healing blast. With some luck he will shave off some seconds of the healing needed. Or waste them if there are dead bodies there :)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck grins a draconic little grin to himself, as he moves fearlessly into the mists after the doppelganger killer. The kobold knows these streets, knows many of the secret passages too, and he can see better in the dark than most. Better still, on Tuck's finger is the ring that he found many years ago and which has the peculiar ability to make him invisible to anyone using darkvision...

Without words, he directs Mutt to chase down the killer as the kobold himself stalks with loaded crossbow at the ready.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: @JustinCase, the DCs for round one are 18 for Spot and 23 for Listen. I'll make sure to post the DCs for round in the OOC thread.

Big Mutt can track the doppelganger using the Track feat and his Scent special ability, as he is within 30 feet of the doppelganger. As long as Tuck stays close to him, I'd say he has a chance to be able to attack the doppelganger but there would still be a miss chance. If Big Mutt manages to pinpoint the foe, the dog can attack without a miss chance.

The DC is 18 for the Survival check to track the doppelganger in the fog.
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mutt moves forward, sniffing the air. The dog certainly has the scent of the doppelganger, but something seems to spook it. With a growl, Big Mutt leaps at where he thinks the killer should be.

It was just a shadow in the mist, however, and it takes Mutt a second to realize it and start tracking its prey again.

Tuck stays close to Mutt, not seeing the doppelganger either.

 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mutt moves forward, sniffing the air. The dog certainly has the scent of the doppelganger, but something seems to spook it. With a growl, Big Mutt leaps at where he thinks the killer should be.

It was just a shadow in the mist, however, and it takes Mutt a second to realize it and start tracking its prey again.

Tuck stays close to Mutt, not seeing the doppelganger either.

If the creature is out there, the dog cannot find him in the fog, and it is deepening even more now. Big Mutt's teeth only bite mist air. He sniffs the ground again to try to pick up the doppelganger's scent.
 

COMING SOON! Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top