log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar fiddles with his instruments while he waits for the group to settle on a course of action. He amuses himself by taking eye-measurements and constructing perspective studies in his head, the spellcaster's mental equivalent of a blade bravo sharpening his knives in his spare time.
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen Enters Bluffside:
Falen Aust Thale:
"Bluffside awaits," Falen speaks to himself, feeling the chin of the Khemitian captain on his head. Strangely, he was easily taken with her. Feeling a warmth well up within him, he would have enjoyed a "roll in the hammock" with her. But she was right. Captain Reeth was indeed doing him a favor. He needed to about business until it was done. Looking straight ahead at the other vessel, he speaks to her, "If Tyche shines favorable, you and I shall share an ale when this business is done, Captain. I could learn much about your fore and aft, stern and bow." He pats the railing on the ship, as he invokes his double-entendre. "An exciting and adventurous vessel to be sure." He reaches down to take his haversack and puts it over his left shoulder, turning to face Mer-en-sekar. He dons his wide-brimmed hat, looking down where she can't she his face, magically changing his face to her own Bixby, his body shifting to his features, only Falen's normal height. "Farewell, Captain, until the next time." He turns away from her and moves quickly down the gangplank, not leaving her much room to see the shift in his features, but imitating Cobblegood's gait. He turns to wave, allowing his creature features to jut out from the disguise, and waves to her. "Thank you again!"
Mer-en-sekar waves back with one eye on her First Mate to make sure he's not smirking.

Aust Thale said:
He moves silently through the docks toward the Vulture, guarding even his illusory facial features under his hat. The wide-brim of the hat protects his face from onlookers. Illusions are useful, but if one picks the wrong illusion, it generates a whole unintended set of problems. Bixby was well-known and generally well-regarded by everyone. It's what made him an excellent smuggler. Falen wasn't a smuggler today. He was a messenger. A tall halfling messenger. Bixby's face was prettier than his anyway.

He reached the Vulture and walked on to the gangplank, speaking to the man on watch in a normal, casual voice, "Ohoy. Captain Reeth? Permission to come aboard?"
Falen can see the crew of the Vulture working relentlessly to get the small cog ready for the short trip across the bay to the Cavern Harbor. Captain Reeth comes into view at the top of the gangplank. He peers down at Falen with a serious stare. The birdman is decked out like a privateer but Falen knows he more sailor than pirate. Instead of a parrot on his shoulder, a small lizard perches atop the kenku's hat. "Well, don't just stand there! Git your ass aboard and we'll git going. While your passage is free my time is not."

Falen is soon on board and the cog is on its way to the harbor in Bluffside's Undercity. Falen can see that the Vulture is carrying a full load of cargo on its decks in addition to whatever is in its hold. The bay waters are calm and the little ship glides into the Cavern Harbor without incident. The docks of the harbor are buzzing with sailors, merchants, hawkers, waifs, and officials making sure no one is bringing in illegal goods or foreign adamantine.

Falen barely has any time to chat with the captain or his crew before the kenku puts him off. "I have work to do so git!"

The unseen seer is soon wading through the throng to the massive lifts that will take him from the Undercity up to the New City district of Bluffside. The lifts are run by water wheels and steam power and the one descending to him makes an awful racket. The lift arrives and the metal grate opens and dozens of workers pour out to begin what is likely the night shift, as dusk is soon approaching. Those heading home up in New City push on to the lift and Falen is carried on to it. The smell of people cogs his nose. Falen is thankful once he reaches the top and the workers exit the lift. He is one of the last to leave the lift.

The Bluffside Regulars stop him as he does. "I don't recognize you. Are you new to the city?" The guard sergeant asks Falen. His tone is very serious. "New City is under Martial Law, I need you to provide your credentials or your worker's badge."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Gardens of Old City:
Tuck is relieved to see the others, intact, although at the same time he is cautious about the newcomer.

"We were followed, and attacked in New City," the kobold says plainly. "They said all of us would be attacked; what happened? Are Lady Emilliene, Lady Pomander and commander Oakfist alright?"
"Lady Émilienne was attacked too," Custodio replies. "They underestimated her abilities though and she fought them off with the help of the Sectarian Guard. She didn't go into great detail but they boasted to her that we'd all be dead soon.. He shakes his head. "She didn't mention anything about Lady Pomander or the commander being attacked. I can't see how Waldo could get to them easily, especially on of The Five."

JustinCase said:
Studying Vinccenzo closely as if looking for signs, the urban ranger continues, "Three assassins from the Brelish Thieves' Guild, based in The Crossed Candles in Old City, followed us until we confronted them in the Silverbow Inn. One is now dead, one in custody and the third has fled. She has a thing for Akos, so she'll be back for an attempt at mating. Their guildmaster Kelik, also known as Barclay Winton, is apparently good friends with the renegade and has offered help to remove us from stopping him."
"The Crossed Candles! Full of thieves. I can barely believe that to be true. Barclay Winton is well respected among the nobles. Yes, he hasn't been in the city very long, but the people really like him." His tone becomes more serious. "It makes sense though. That shop is quite close to the Gardens. If Barclay is in league with Phelix, the Lord Commander must know about this immediately."

JustinCase said:
"Jam was helpful," he answers Custodio, "but he could not provide the Legend Lore magic. He pointed us to three others for that: Finus Lomusin, Harvess Mortin, or Master Hassenforth. Jam himself figured the monster is a troll or shambling plant creature, not a mythical being of the end times."
"I think I should let the rest of you handle the creature. If I have time, I'll catch up."

Akos turns to Custodio. "Maybe you should let us deal with the monster and go to The Elite with this information.
If we want to catch the guild, we should try to organize the raid immediately. When Teresa returns they will move and hide."
"Raiding that shop could cause blow back from the nobles. If we can't find evidence of the guild there, the Lord Commander could be demoted and i can forget about being an Elite again." He shakes his head. "But if it gets us closer to Phelix, it's worth the risk. I go see him right now."

Custodio rushes out of the Gardens and into the streets of Old City. Akos and Tuck can see that he is heading straight for the Palace.
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mutt circles Tim several times waiting for the big man to sratch his forehead but the big dog soon becomes distracted by a nearby bed of flowers that he is soon digging in. While none of the tenders are nearby to chastise Mutt's brother, several young ladies sitting together on a patch of grass take notice and start giggling at the dog's behavior. Mutt relieves himself in flowerbed and then moves onto the grass to inspect the giggling.

Then, the big dog's ears perk up and he barks at the ladies and then at Tuck. He runs back to his pack mate and circles his three times before rushing off into another part of the Garden complex despite Tuck's attempts to get him to calm down.

OOC: Mutt disappears into another part of the Garden. Even without seeing him the PCs can still hear him barking. He doesn't seem angry but excited. Do the PCs follow?
 




Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Western Gardens:
"Your dog is rather odd. Does he always act like that or is he on to something?" Breva asks curiously.
"Mutt is my fierce guard dog," Tuck says defensively, but at the same time he worriedly rushes after the dog.

"What is it, boy? What did you find?"
Tim will follow, because he trusts Mutt's nose and instincts.
One by one the gathered group of heroes rushes behind Tuck and Tim to see what big dog is tracking. With Tuck in the lead, they find themselves in a quieter part of the cultivated section of the Gardens where several tenders are working to trim the foliage and Sylemis stands in the center of a a gazebo singing to the plants in his native tongue. Tuck find Mutt sitting quietly in front of the dragori druid listening to the dragon-kin's voice. The dog is enthralled by the low-pitch music. The notes are deep and melodious. Mutt barely glances at Tuck when the kobold and the other arrive at the gazebo.

The other gardener, Huverel, watches over his mentor with joy. It seems the dragori is still feeling better. Two others sit in the gazebo as well. The first you know. The grizzled old arcanus, Detch, from the guard tower where you met Kaleb and heard his story. The other is a female guard, likely and Elite.

Once Sylemis finishes his song, he greets you warmly. "You have returned and just in time." The druid walks over to Tuck and scratches Mutt under the chin with his walking stick. "Two of the guards from the tower have gone missing."

"I don't know if they are in trouble, but both vanished shortly after you all left the tower," Detch explains. "It's not like them to leave their posts." He looks at Tuck and Big Tim. "Nathaniel you met, I believe. He's from a very wealthy family here in Old City, the Acerons. I don't think you met Geoffrey Suggitt while you were at the tower, but he was on duty. His family's reputation is a bit tarnished."

"That is an understatement," the other guard says."

"This is Elvira Thalmann. She runs the watch for the other tower in the Eastern Gardens."

"One of my underlings has gone missing as well," she says. "His name is Titan Razeart. It seems like he disappeared around the same time as the other two. If this creature is killing tower guards and Elites, it needs to be found and stopped. If I had a stronger force of guards, I'd go in there myself and deal with it, but most under my watch are youngsters. The bulk of the Elites have been placed here in the Western Gardens and I don't have the authority to order them away from their posts."

"Neither do I," Detch adds.

"But they respect you more."

"It's still not my place to countermand the Lord Commander."

Elvira throws her hands up in disgust.

"Calm yourselves," Sylemis says. "Tuck and his friends are here now. They can handle it and it looks like they've added some new allies to their numbers, although I don't see Custodio. Did he get called back into the Elite?" The dragori asks Tuck.
 

Envisioner

Explorer
"This is a distraction we cannot afford," Relgar scoffs. He's not self-aware enough to understand it, but the assassination attempt has rattled him deeply, and he finds it impossible to care as much about the deaths of random strangers (who, by taking work as a guard, knew they were exposing themselves to dangers that most sensible people avoid) as he does about the continued depradation of Phelix, simply because the latter has attacked him personally. It's not a heroic moral position, but he's not a hero, just a fairly ordinary man who wants to live in a city not gripped by absolute chaos. Let predators lurk in the wild places of the world; just keep them away from innocent members of the public who are simply trying to earn a living.

OOC: Relgar is not me; I find his philosophy here to be contemptible, but I do agree with him in one respect - I'd rather finish up the main plot arc that we've been working on, not get sidetracked with some bug hunt.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck is disappointed that Mutt takes them to Sylemis, although he always enjoys the dragonkin's presence.

"Sorry my friend," the little kobold says apologetically. "Mutt took us here because I thought he sensed trouble, but we really need to check on some of our allies first to make sure they are alright."

He looks around, suddenly suspicious, nods to Huverel and the two guards, then asks, "Nobody came for you, did they? Ruffians or the like?"
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"This is a distraction we cannot afford," Relgar scoffs.

Akos turns to Relgar
"Why not? I mean, why can't we afford it? We're here, we can help and we just spent an afternoon trying to find out what the beast is. I'm still not sure what the exact passphrase is and if there is more than one or anything else really. We can afford to help these people and we'll be safer that way too. Otherwise we risk going after that sorcerer and returning wounded or low on resources and being attacked by a monster unknown. On the other hand, we can have secured position to fall back to."

"Given new information, we might find something either if the beast was released here by him or if The Elite gets something from the guild or by casting legend lore. In all cases, spending some time now makes us safer in the long run."


OOC: I think I wrote all the sentences for opening the portal, Akos is not certain which one is it. But there are several close contenders. Maybe those dissapearing guardsman didn't actually vanish, they spoke about the sorcerer and opened the gate by using his name...or called him to them.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"This is a distraction we cannot afford," Relgar scoffs. He's not self-aware enough to understand it, but the assassination attempt has rattled him deeply, and he finds it impossible to care as much about the deaths of random strangers (who, by taking work as a guard, knew they were exposing themselves to dangers that most sensible people avoid) as he does about the continued depradation of Phelix, simply because the latter has attacked him personally. It's not a heroic moral position, but he's not a hero, just a fairly ordinary man who wants to live in a city not gripped by absolute chaos. Let predators lurk in the wild places of the world; just keep them away from innocent members of the public who are simply trying to earn a living.
Commander Thalmann gives Relgar a look that is cold and unforgiving. She looks ready to draw her blade and gut the draft-wizard. "Distraction! Why you..."

"Calm down!" Sylemis hisses. "You don't have any authority over this fellowssship. And you will not draw blood in my presssence. Is that clear?"

The tower commander gazes at her feet. She still fumes but holds her tongue and releases the hilt on her longsword.

Akos turns to Relgar
"Why not? I mean, why can't we afford it? We're here, we can help and we just spent an afternoon trying to find out what the beast is. I'm still not sure what the exact passphrase is and if there is more than one or anything else really. We can afford to help these people and we'll be safer that way too. Otherwise we risk going after that sorcerer and returning wounded or low on resources and being attacked by a monster unknown. On the other hand, we can have secured position to fall back to."

"Given new information, we might find something either if the beast was released here by him or if The Elite gets something from the guild or by casting legend lore. In all cases, spending some time now makes us safer in the long run."
"If you feel you must wait before confronting the creature, I will put out word to the other tenders to be vigilant when they are near the edge of the Eastern Gardens," Sylemis says serenely. His moment of anger has washed from his features.

"I will try to get the Lord Commander to assign more experienced Elites to the towers," Detch adds. "More patrols on the walls and less on the ground until the beast is dealt with. We need to keep our eyes and ears open, well, more open."

"Prudent," The dragori druid replies.

Tuck is disappointed that Mutt takes them to Sylemis, although he always enjoys the dragonkin's presence.

"Sorry my friend," the little kobold says apologetically. "Mutt took us here because I thought he sensed trouble, but we really need to check on some of our allies first to make sure they are alright."
"No need to apologize. He probably heard some of my deepest tones, which are usually too low for humanoids to hear. I hope your allies are safe from all this trouble."

JustinCase said:
He looks around, suddenly suspicious, nods to Huverel and the two guards, then asks, "Nobody came for you, did they? Ruffians or the like?"
Sylemis shakes his head. "No. I have not been accosted by any enemies of mine or yours today. The crowds of visitors were a bit overwhelming at times but it has been so long since they have seen me."

"Are we at risk?" Huverel asks.

"I doubt the renegade cares little for a dying dragori druid," Sylemis shakes his head again.

"I wouldn't put it past this bastard to come after you in order to hurt Tuck, personally," Arcanus Detch suggests. "If he knows of your friendship." He turns to Relgar and Akos. "We cannot force you to march into the Eastern Gardens and deal with the beast, but I hope you will do so if it becomes a worry for all. For now, it seems to only be going after intruders near the borders of the foliage." He pauses. "And we don't know if the two missing..."

"Three."

"Yes, sorry," the arcanus nods to the other commander. "Three missing guards were attacked by the creature. It could be as the Loremaster says. They could have been taken through the portal against their wills or could be in league with the Renegade."

"That, I highly doubt," Commander Thalmann says. " Titan Razeart is a good man."

"Maybe, but I've seen plenty of good men corrupted by evil," Detch adds.

"You should not speculate," Sylemis insists. He pats Mutt on the head and then puts his hand on Tuck's shoulder. "I will keep an eye out for these ruffians, but I will not keep you any longer. I grow tired and will need to rest soon, I think. Go to check on your allies and stay safe." He taps his walking stick on the grass and two tenders move to help him, if he should need it. Huverel walks a few feet behind his mentor, as the druid an his escort head away towards the sanctuary.

"I should get back to my post," Commander Thalmann says. She sighs and looks at Relgar. "I apologize for my anger. I am just worried about Titan." Then she walks away without another word.

"Aye, I too need to check in with the tower before heading home," Arcanus Detch says. "Do not let your guard down, young ones. I have this sense that the mad sorcerer is out for blood. If he is targeting your allies, you must warn them. I will watch out for trouble and tell my guards to be wary." The old arcanist heads towards the Eastern Gardens.

Breva watches the others discuss matters. He stands at parade rest his hands clasped behind his back feeling he is too new to make a decision on their course of action.
Breva has this odd sensation any time Arcanus Detch speaks. He does not sense any evil from the man, but there is an aura to him. His words give Breva the chills. It is a sense of awe but is also unsettling.
 


Envisioner

Explorer
Seemingly outvoted, Relgar relents. "Fine; whatever we're going to do, let's just do it. The longer it takes us to confront Elday Annithclay, the more prepared for us he will be. Take it from one who knows, an arcanist loves nothing better than to convince his enemies to sleep on it before confronting him."
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim, who has been silent thusfar, speaks up: "I see no reason why we can't spare the time to go look for the guards now. If they were felled by a creature, it might still be nearby, and we have a chance to catch it. If they were taken against their will, then every minute we delay looking for them is a minute within which they could be tortured or executed. It is wrong to wait."

OOC:
Sorry I haven't responded lately, I've had a lot of RL stuff going on.
 

COMING SOON! Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top