log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: Less a punch in the face than a kick in the knee; Relgar is really mad, and he's not a fighter, so if he does get physical, he'll go straight for the dirty fighting route, not any attempt at a fair contest (which he would lose).
 

log in or register to remove this ad

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC:
Less a punch in the face than a kick in the knee; Relgar is really mad, and he's not a fighter, so if he does get physical, he'll go straight for the dirty fighting route, not any attempt at a fair contest (which he would lose).
Right, I missed that. I'll adjust my post.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Silverbow Inn:
Teresa snaps out of the worst of her fear and looks around her. She can only see Akos in front of her and the big dog. The others are in he magical sphere, out of sight. But she did hear Shylock talking. He's given up. She knows she can take the loremaster in front of her, if he would just stop talking long enough for her to gut him. She looks at the splintered table and knows she got lucky. Better to live.

"We will meet again," she coos at him while making a gesture that she's going to cut something off. Then she bolts before Akos can respond. She rushes out of the inn's front door into the streets of New City.

OOC: Teresa withdraws from combat as full-round action. Double moves. Akos can follower her, but she's through the inn's door before he acts. If he doesn't follow her, he can move and attack the last assassin in the tiny hut or do something else.

Relgar looks up with anger at the assassin of his would-be assassin. Since he's just disarmed himself in what appears to be desperation, the wizard assumes he no longer poses a threat, and a sudden surge of righteous indignation overcomes him. Not even bothering to conjure another Invisible Needle, he strides forward and aims a kick at the knees or vitals of the new attacker.

OOC: Unarmed attack. Rules-wise I'm probably just going to get myself punched, but it seems in-character to try. I'll let you just decide for yourself whether it works.
The assassin is taken aback by Relgar's boldness, yet the clumsy kick is easily avoided by the Brelish rogue. He shakes his head in disbelief.

OOC: Relgar: Unarmed Attack > 1d20+2=10+2=12 (miss)

"Lady Émilienne," Tuck breathes in shock. "Lady Pomander..."

Shylock's other words register as well, and the urban ranger ponders what he knows about this Brelish Thieves' Guild and The Crossed Candles.

"Akos! Stop flirting, we need to warn the others!" the kobold calls out to his companion, and whatever he was going to do next is interrupted by the sword thrown into Shylock's back.

"Fool thief," Tuck hisses, followed by a foul curse in his race's version of the Draconic language, and his reptilian eyes narrow as they focus on the assassin still standing - for now. He aims his fine crossbow, but changes his mind when Relgar unexpectedly kicks the man on the knee.

Dropping his crossbow, Tuck slips his deceptively dull looking sword out of its sheath and from the other side stabs the blade in hard.

Mutt moves after his intended target, and if he still stands, will bite him again.

OOC: Moving up to the third assassin, flanking with Relgar (+2), and attacking with the +1 shortsword:
Shortsword: 1D20+9 = [3]+9 = 12 for 1D4 = [4] = 4 damage

If the assassin still stands, Mutt will attack too:
Mutt: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13 for 1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8 damage
The assassin is a slippery fellow, even covered in goo. Not only does he dodge Relgar's kick, but also he manages to avoid Tuck's blade. Mutt, however, bites the man hard in the back. He quickly steps away from the kobold and draws his dagger and stabs out at Relgar. But Mutt bites the man's ass off. The big dog chomps down hard on a soft spot and the assassin goes down bleeding from his rump.

OOC: The assassin isn't shaken this round. He was shaken last round and cowering the same round as Akos performed his intimidation (since he was after Akos in the initiative order). Mutt gets an AoO against the assassin but not Relgar (since he's not armed) or Tuck.
Mutt: AoO > 1d20+7=27 (hit, possible crit.), Confirm Roll > 1d20+7=13 (not a crit.), Damage > 1d6+5=10
Assassin: Dagger vs. Relgar > 1d20+6=20 (hit), Damage > 1d4+1=5
 
Last edited:

Scotley

Adventurer
Breva recovers himself though it is a challenge for him to shift from combat to social grace so swiftly. He does his best and bows over the woman's hand as he takes it. "A pleasure to meet you Lady Émilienne. I am Breva Sciarra and as you have noted a servant of the Purifier. I am currently working under orders from Silvon Silas." He bends to clean his blade on one of the fallen men's cloaks and the carefully puts the sword away. "I expect that we can manage to get these trouble makers to whatever serves a lockup without manacles. I think we beat most of the fight out of them for the nounce at least."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Custodio said:
"...I wished I had two more for these others. We should bind them, but I left my pack with my rope back at the manor."
Tim takes one of the Loyalist's cloaks and rips it into several, wide strips, which he ties tightly, in order to bind their hands and feet.

Tim bows to Lady Émilienne, "We'll need to call for a wagon; with all three bound and unconscious, we can't exactly drag them through the streets. Justice should be swift and harsh, unyielding, but never cruel."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos calls after the departing assasssin "Bring your silver weapons along with some friends!"

He turns quickly and enters the magical dome. Surveying the situation, he checks on Shylok. If possible he stabilizes the man, who knows what he can tell now that he is broken. But the information will go stale quickly once Teresa reaches the guild.

"We need to find others and quickly. If you're wounded, speak now. We need to go."
 
Last edited:

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar spares the wounded man one more glance, a disgusted look on his face which he doesn't bother trying to conceal, even though he could do so with the tiniest thought thanks to his Illusion mask. "What's the emergency?" he queries of the other arcanist.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Didn't you hear Shylok?! They are targeting all of the group and some other besides. Maybe they didn't yet find them. And I'd rather be behind an Elite when the killers come next time." Akos answers getting Shylock in manacles.
Ooc: the other assasssin is dead? Is Shylock?
 
Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Outside the Theater on the Bluff:
Vinccenzo d'Lucio can't believe his luck. As a member of the Sectarian Guard, he has been favored in the Wizard District. Yet, one mistake and he ends up pulling guard duty in Old City. The assignment is terrible and the Bluffside Regulars can't stand him. Walking the perimeter, he notes three men heading towards an older section of the district. One of them is very tall and decked out like a noble. The other looks like a priest while the third is dressed all in black. They don't seem to out of place but someone is following them.

Two men in hoods and cloaks follow them down the street. The trio goes one way. The two in cloaks stop and then walk around the other side of the building. Soon all five of the men are out of sight.

What to do? Vinccenzo's not being paid to break up fights, only guard the theater. That's for the other guards to do but they're no where in sight.
'Hmm, Help the city guard and follow the dark clad mystery duo. He has haste memorized for training in the discipline.'

Vincenzo moves with a hustle to the corner where he last saw the tailing dark duo disappear behind. 'They can't be up to any good now can they? If i see any guard I will try and get their attention.'
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Old City:
Breva recovers himself though it is a challenge for him to shift from combat to social grace so swiftly. He does his best and bows over the woman's hand as he takes it. "A pleasure to meet you Lady Émilienne. I am Breva Sciarra and as you have noted a servant of the Purifier. I am currently working under orders from Silvon Silas." He bends to clean his blade on one of the fallen men's cloaks and the carefully puts the sword away. "I expect that we can manage to get these trouble makers to whatever serves a lockup without manacles. I think we beat most of the fight out of them for the nounce at least."
"Breva was sent to find out why Sir Silvon hadn't been getting my reports," Custodio adds. "It turns out that someone has been intercepting them. Sir Silvon sent messages from the temple but I never received them." He pats Breva on the shoulder. "Breva agreed to come along to help us deal with the creature in the Gardens and with the renegade. It is good he was with us when these Loyalists attacked. I'm not sure if Tim and I could have taken all three of them without his help."

Lady Émilienne says to Breva. "I am glad you were here to help these good men. Thank you."

Tim takes one of the Loyalist's cloaks and rips it into several, wide strips, which he ties tightly, in order to bind their hands and feet.

Tim bows to Lady Émilienne, "We'll need to call for a wagon; with all three bound and unconscious, we can't exactly drag them through the streets. Justice should be swift and harsh, unyielding, but never cruel."
"I let the Elites guarding the Palace know that I was attacked just outside of the Wizard District, and they are currently sending out a patrol to take one my attackers — a tower wizard turned traitor — into custody. As the assassins tried to kill me, they boasted that others would soon attack both you two and Relgar, so I had the Palace guards send out word to look for all. We should find a guard patrol and have them take these men into custody. I believe a saw a handful patrolling near the theater." She looks around the alley. "Where is Relgar? I thought he was with you?"

"No, he's with Akos and Tuck in the Undercity talking to the bard," Custodio replies. "If they get ambushed down there..." Custodio pauses. "Did you hear something?"

'Hmm, Help the city guard and follow the dark clad mystery duo. He has haste memorized for training in the discipline.'

Vinccenzo moves with a hustle to the corner where he last saw the tailing dark duo disappear behind. 'They can't be up to any good now can they? If i see any guard I will try and get their attention.'
Once at the corner of the building, Vinccenzo peers around to see three men and a woman conversing over three fallen foes — the men in dark cloaks. The three men are the ones he saw go into the alley, initially, but he didn't see the woman before now. She's dressed like a wizard, so perhaps she was invisible. They aren't trying to be quiet and the tallest man takes off one of the fallen foe's cloaks and tears it into strips and uses it to bind the hands and feet of two of the fallen men. The third foe has already been manacled, but they tie his feet as well.

"Did you hear something?" One of the men asks. He scans the alley and sees Vinccenzo. "You there. State your..." the man pauses. "A Sectarian Guard," he says to the tall man. He sheaths his blade and walks towards Vinccenzo. "I am Custodio Vecchi of the Bluffside Elite. These prisoners need to be taken into custody at once. They are minions of the renegade sorcerer who devastated the New City district and who is still at large here in Old City."

The woman, an elf, motions for Vinccenzo to step forward. "I am Lady Émilienne. Did the Wizard Council send you to find me?"

OOC: Note that while Vinccenzo hasn't heard of Custodio (without a Knowledge [local] check), he has definitely heard of Lady Émilienne! She is a well-known arcanist in the Wizard District, although as a member of the Bluffside Elite she stands a bit apart from the Sectarian Guards. Still, she is quite respected (sometimes envied) among Vinccenzo's peers.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
New City, Silverbow Inn:
Akos calls after the departing assasssin "Bring your silver weapons along with some friends!"

He turns quickly and enters the magical dome. Surveying the situation, he checks on Shylock. If possible he stabilizes the man, who knows what he can tell now that he is broken. But the information will go stale quickly once Teresa reaches the guild.
Akos carefully pulls the assassin's short sword from Shylock's back and turns him over. Shylock is still alive but barely. The man is at the edge of consciousness. He groans and his eyes flicker open and then closed. Akos is able to bind the worst of Shylock's injuries.

Neurotic said:
"We need to find others and quickly. If you're wounded, speak now. We need to go."
Relgar spares the wounded man one more glance, a disgusted look on his face which he doesn't bother trying to conceal, even though he could do so with the tiniest thought thanks to his Illusion mask. "What's the emergency?" he queries of the other arcanist.
"Didn't you hear Shylock?! They are targeting all of the group and some other besides. Maybe they didn't yet find them. And I'd rather be behind an Elite when the killers come next time." Akos answers getting Shylock in manacles.

Ooc: the other assassin is dead? Is Shylock?
OOC: The other assassin is very dead. Shylock will live.

"It... is too... late," Shylock mumbles. "The Loyalists will, overwhelm... the half-ogre and guardsman, but if they fail," he gasps. "Others will find them. The other guild members are already on their way."

Akos can tell that the man's nose is broken and his jaw is cracked. He's lost several teeth.

A few patrons that had been hiding upstairs come back down. Several of them blanch upon seeing the dead body of the assassin. Mutt growls at them and they either flee out the back or back upstairs. Thorkell rushes back in through the front of the inn with half a dozen Bluffside Regulars in tow.

"Hands up! Drop your weapons!" One of them yells. Mutt growls at them in anger.

"No, no," Thorkell yells. "They're not the attackers." he points to the men on the floor. "Those are the villains."

The guards relax a bit. One of them checks the fallen assassin but shakes his head. "He's dead."

"Where is the woman?" Thorkell asks Akos while scanning the inn.

"What happened here?" Another guard asks Relgar while keeping one eye on Mutt.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Custodio said:
"...I'm not sure if Tim and I could have taken all three of them without his help."
Tim smiles warmly, addressing Custodio, "With all due respect, Breva is a skilled and brave warrior, and I am happy for his company, but I think you overestimate the abilities of these thugs, at least these, here. These have the looks of green, untried recruits. I'll be more worried when we face the more senior members of their order. I didn't even break a sweat with these pups. That being said, we should not underestimate them, either. Three of these thugs were no problem, but 6? 10? Who knows how many he will send next time?"

Tim will then use one of the spare cloak strips to wipe down his massive sword, before returning it to its quickdraw rig on his back.

Tim smiles warmly at Breva, extending his arm for a warrior's handshake, "I am glad to have you with us, good sir. I am honored to serve alongside someone of your conviction and skill. My name is Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, but my friends call me Tim. I am hoping that's the name that you will call me by."
 
Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Old City:

"Breva was sent to find out why Sir Silvon hadn't been getting my reports," Custodio adds. "It turns out that someone has been intercepting them. Sir Silvon sent messages from the temple but I never received them." He pats Breva on the shoulder. "Breva agreed to come along to help us deal with the creature in the Gardens and with the renegade. It is good he was with us when these Loyalists attacked. I'm not sure if Tim and I could have taken all three of them without his help."

Lady Émilienne says to Breva. "I am glad you were here to help these good men. Thank you."


"I let the Elites guarding the Palace know that I was attacked just outside of the Wizard District, and they are currently sending out a patrol to take one my attackers — a tower wizard turned traitor — into custody. As the assassins tried to kill me, they boasted that others would soon attack both you two and Relgar, so I had the Palace guards send out word to look for all. We should find a guard patrol and have them take these men into custody. I believe a saw a handful patrolling near the theater." She looks around the alley. "Where is Relgar? I thought he was with you?"

"No, he's with Akos and Tuck in the Undercity talking to the bard," Custodio replies. "If they get ambushed down there..." Custodio pauses. "Did you hear something?"


Once at the corner of the building, Vinccenzo peers around to see three men and a woman conversing over three fallen foes — the men in dark cloaks. The three men are the ones he saw go into the alley, initially, but he didn't see the woman before now. She's dressed like a wizard, so perhaps she was invisible. They aren't trying to be quiet and the tallest man takes off one of the fallen foe's cloaks and tears it into strips and uses it to bind the hands and feet of two of the fallen men. The third foe has already been manacled, but they tie his feet as well.

"Did you hear something?" One of the men asks. He scans the alley and sees Vinccenzo. "You there. State your..." the man pauses. "A Sectarian Guard," he says to the tall man. He sheaths his blade and walks towards Vinccenzo. "I am Custodio Vecchi of the Bluffside Elite. These prisoners need to be taken into custody at once. They are minions of the renegade sorcerer who devastated the New City district and who is still at large here in Old City."

The woman, an elf, motions for Vinccenzo to step forward. "I am Lady Émilienne. Did the Wizard Council send you to find me?"

OOC: Note that while Vinccenzo hasn't heard of Custodio (without a Knowledge [local] check), he has definitely heard of Lady Émilienne! She is a well-known arcanist in the Wizard District, although as a member of the Bluffside Elite she stands a bit apart from the Sectarian Guards. Still, she is quite respected (sometimes envied) among Vinccenzo's peers.
"Lady Émilienne , " He offers his respect to the city elite and well known wizardess, "I am Vinccenzo d'Lucio. It is a grand pleasure and honor to meet you. However I regret I was not sent to find you. I am just working with the regulars for the time and saw something suspicious, namely those three. I arrived to offer assistance. It appears it was not needed"

While speaking, he considers the name of Custodio Vecchi [knowledge: local]
_: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos carefully pulls the assassin's short sword from Shylock's back and turns him over. Shylock is still alive but barely. The man is at the edge of consciousness. He groans and his eyes flicker open and then closed. Akos is able to bind the worst of Shylock's injuries.

"It... is too... late," Shylock mumbles. "The Loyalists will, overwhelm... the half-ogre and guardsman, but if they fail," he gasps. "Others will find them. The other guild members are already on their way."

Akos can tell that the man's nose is broken and his jaw is cracked. He's lost several teeth.
OOC: so, all in all, we improved his countenance :p

"You will live, Shylock, it is not the end yet. And as you underestimated us, you will find others equally unbeatable. I mean, you couldn't defeat unprepared wizards and a kobold."


"Hands up! Drop your weapons!" One of them yells. Mutt growls at them in anger.
"No, no," Thorkell yells. "They're not the attackers." he points to the men on the floor. "Those are the villains."

The guards relax a bit. One of them checks the fallen assassin but shakes his head. "He's dead."
"Where is the woman?" Thorkell asks Akos while scanning the inn.
"The woman is on the run. Please try not to kill this one, he is sensitive right now and we need him for the moment." Akos points at Shylock
"That one was too sensitive and is dead. Please take them somewhere official, we have to find the rest of our group."

Turning to Relgar and Tuck (and Mutt ofcourse)
"Since we cannot communicate, let us go to our agreed upon meeting place and see where we're at."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck nods, although he seems lost in thought. Surely he has been threatened before - after all, he knows things many people who don't want him to know - but never before has he been confronted so directly.

No, they were trying to get at Relgar, he corrects himself. He just happened to be in the way.

"Good people, Mutt," he belatedly calls back his large dog, and Mutt seems to change instantly from a dark and deadly predator into a lovable, tailwagging ball of fur, barking playfully at the Regulars.

"Yes, let's go," the kobold agrees with Akos, then adds, "But we should also keep an eye out for the others. And help if we can."

A short whistle seems to have no effect on Mutt, until Tuck has almost left the inn. Then the dog rushes after his kobold master, almost knocking over still-standing tables and at least one Regular.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
To the Gardens:
"Assassination attempt. Our mutual 'friend' is doubling down on his efforts to throw this entire city into chaos. Perhaps your leaders would consider actually taking this insurrection seriously now."
"Mutual friend?" The guard commander says fearfully. "You mean the renegade is responsible for this attack?" He looks at the other Regulars and motions for them to take Shylock into custody. "I will send a message to the Palace in Old City to let them know what the sorcerer and his minions have done here."

"You will live, Shylock, it is not the end yet. And as you underestimated us, you will find others equally unbeatable. I mean, you couldn't defeat unprepared wizards and a kobold."
"If it only had been the wizard," he mumbles.

Neurotic said:
"The woman is on the run. Please try not to kill this one, he is sensitive right now and we need him for the moment." Akos points at Shylock
"That one was too sensitive and is dead. Please take them somewhere official, we have to find the rest of our group."
"We will have him and the dead body taken to Dungeon," the commander says. "Captain Chalsarda will want to interrogate him herself."

Two of the Regulars flank Shylock and carefully help him to his feet. They escort him out of the inn. Two others pick up the dead body and take it away as well.

"I will have word sent to the Lord Commander about this attack."

Tuck nods, although he seems lost in thought. Surely he has been threatened before - after all, he knows things many people who don't want him to know - but never before has he been confronted so directly.

No, they were trying to get at Relgar, he corrects himself. He just happened to be in the way.

"Good people, Mutt," he belatedly calls back his large dog, and Mutt seems to change instantly from a dark and deadly predator into a lovable, tailwagging ball of fur, barking playfully at the Regulars.
A female guard notes the dogs change in demeanor and walks up to him and scratches his head. "Nice boy," she says. She turns to Tuck and says "I'm assuming you have a license for him? If not, you might want to get one."

Neurotic said:
Turning to Relgar and Tuck (and Mutt ofcourse)
"Since we cannot communicate, let us go to our agreed upon meeting place and see where we're at."
JustinCase said:
"Yes, let's go," the kobold agrees with Akos, then adds, "But we should also keep an eye out for the others. And help if we can."

A short whistle seems to have no effect on Mutt, until Tuck has almost left the inn. Then the dog rushes after his kobold master, almost knocking over still-standing tables and at least one Regular.
Mutt rushes past the guard commander and sends him sprawling. The man curses but does nothing else but pick himself up off the floor. Relgar follows Akos and Tuck out of the inn, leaving the Regulars commander to deal with Thorkell and the mess inside. The streets of New City remain semi-deserted, although the fight in the Silverbow has brought out some onlookers. They regard Akos well, but don't know what to make of Tuck and Relgar.

Ignoring them, the trio of adventurers head to the gate that leads out of New City and follow the road to Old City where one of the guards that Tuck knows well (a half-elf named Danlen) warns them to be high alert. "The renegade is causing trouble again. There was an attack on the road between here and the Wizard District. The lady attacked is a powerful wizard and managed to fight them off with the help of the Sectarian Guard." His face becomes sour. "Unfortunately, two of the guards died in the fight and three of the villains managed to escape. A traitor among the Elite was taken into custody and is being taken to the Dungeon in New City."

Once through the gate, the trio heads back to the Gardens to meet up with the others. They arrive to find that most of the Garden's visitors have gone home for the day. It is the early evening and dusk is only a few hours away. There are a few Elite patrolling the Gardens with several more on the walls surrounding it.

Old City:
Tim smiles warmly, addressing Custodio, "With all due respect, Breva is a skilled and brave warrior, and I am happy for his company, but I think you overestimate the abilities of these thugs, at least these, here. These have the looks of green, untried recruits. I'll be more worried when we face the more senior members of their order. I didn't even break a sweat with these pups. That being said, we should not underestimate them, either. Three of these thugs were no problem, but 6? 10? Who knows how many he will send next time?"

Tim will then use one of the spare cloak strips to wipe down his massive sword, before returning it to its quickdraw rig on his back.
"The few times I've dealt with the Loyalists in the past, they weren't hard to defeat. And Terger once told me that he and gnome he fought beside usually only had to hit them once for them to go down in a heap." He looks at the defeated loyalists. "These guys were tougher but not by much. If it had been a dozen of them, we would have been outmatched for sure. Waldo," he says mockingly. "Likely hasn't sent his best against us yet. Perhaps he underestimates your strength and skill, Tim."

"Lady Émilienne, " He offers his respect to the city elite and well known wizardess, "I am Vinccenzo d'Lucio. It is a grand pleasure and honor to meet you. However I regret I was not sent to find you. I am just working with the regulars for the time and saw something suspicious, namely those three. I arrived to offer assistance. It appears it was not needed"
"But it might be next time," Lady Émilienne replies. "If your superiors can spare you, we could use more firepower on our side. I will have a message sent to them asking for you to be reassigned to work with these men. But for now, let's get them off the street and under guard."

She motions for Vinccenzo to join her as heads over to the theater where she find a handful Regulars slacking off near a tavern. She quickly snaps them to attention and orders them to help take the prisoners to the nearest guard post. With the help of Breva, Tim and Custodio, it is a simple matter to have the Loyalists carried there escorted by the guards. The Regulars at the post put the fallen men in two cells and make sure to bind their wounds.

"We can keep them here for now," the post commander says. "But they really should go to the Dungeon in New City. I will have a wagon sent for and have them taken there as soon as possible."

"I will tell the Lord Commander about this attack," Lady Émilienne says to Big Tim. "You should go find the others and continue your investigations. Keep an eye out for trouble. I doubt the renegade is done scheming." She says to Vinccenzo. "Go with them and help deal with the creature in the Gardens, as well as finding Phelix's Enclave."

She shakes Breva and Vinccenzo hands and hugs Big Tim before she heads out of the post.

"That's one tough lady," Custodio notes. He waits for the others to be ready and then follows along to the Gardens where the others are already waiting. The public area of the Gardens are nearly empty with only a handful of visitors and several patrols of Bluffside Elites. Tim notes that there are are guards stationed on the Garden's walls as well. It is roughly an hour and a half before dusk.

Mutt barks happily when he sees Tim and rushes up to the big man and tries to get the knight to pet him.

"How'd your meeting go with the bard?" Custodio asks.

OOC: The two groups are together now. I'll wait to post again until introductions are made all around.

Cast of Heroes: Loremaster Ákos, Breva Sciarra, Relgar Aspergim, Sir Tymbeck "Big Tim" Valencia, Tuck (and Mutt), Vinccenzo d'Lucio, and the NPC named Custodio Vecchi. There is one more PC to add to the group but I'm waiting for @Aust Thale to post first.

Scott DeWar said:
While speaking, he considers the name of Custodio Vecchi [knowledge: local]
_: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
OOC: Vinccenzo has heard of Custodio but it's not all good (but some of it is). He is a member of the Bluffside Elite who has fallen out of favor with his superiors. He's become popular with the people of New City due to his past and current allies (especially a gnome warrior named Gralf, in the past, and Big Tim now). He is said to be an avenger in the service of the deity known as the Purifier. He is considered a bit infamous by the rich.
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Docks of Sordadon
Falen watches from the foredeck of the Firequeen as it pulls into the Harbor District of the floating canal port of Sordadon. While the crew scrambles around him to settle the large sailing ship near the docks, Falen can't help but stare up at the imposing cliffs of western Kanpur. Up on those cliffs is the city of Bluffside — his destination after all these months of travel to and from Tânger. His hand inadvertently goes up to his chest where the letter is safely tucked in an inside pocket.

His old mentor, Max, had sent him to get the missive for an man named Lord Cassianus Avitus, the current ambassador of Ticin to Bluffside. Why he had to go all the way to Tânger by ship to physically pick up the letter is a mystery. Magic would have been considerably faster. Max hadn't told him the reason why had to be this way, but he'd paid Falen well for the trip, up front. Max never parted with gold easily.

Falen had little trouble getting the letter but booking passage back north had been a challenge. News had arrived in Tânger that trouble is brewing in Bluffside. Rumors about war and disease and magical explosions. Gossip flows like coin and mead in Tânger; it never ends.

The Firequeen's anchor is dropped and the ship is firmly secured to the dock as well. The crew is taking no chance, as they don't want to displease their captain, Meri-en-sekar. The Khemitian woman is a fierce warrior and sailor and a long time compatriot of Falen's good friend Bixby Cobblegood. At first, Falen had thought it luck that she'd been in Tânger but Max and Bixby had planned it that way in case the unseen seer had gotten into trouble get out of the city. He had and luckily Meri-en-sekar and her crew were there to bail him out. He'd had to pay extra, of course, but it had been worth it.

A group of cutthroats simply known as The Dusk had come out of the shadows and tried to kill Falen and take the letter. Meri's first mate, Hanodeen, had been watching the half-hobgoblin's back without him realizing it. The man had been a ghost until he and his scimitar came out of the night and kill three of the cutthroats and whisked Falen to the Firequeen. Once out to sea, the Dusk tried again alongside hired pirates of the bleakest sort. Two pirate ships had tried to board the Firequeen, but they were no match for the galleon's impressive cannons.

"You better get going," Captain Meri says to Falen. The tall Khemitian woman had snuck up behind him while he was deep in thought. "And try not to get those pretty eyes of yours in trouble. I won't be there to bail you out this time, malih."

Meri-en-sekar had taken a shine to him but had kept Falen at arms length during the voyage. She had to keep up appearances for the crew. Now, the bulk of the crew was disappearing onto Sordadon's streets looking to spend their pay and bonus for getting the Firequeen to port in one piece. The captain sets her chin on top of Falen's head and points to a waiting cog, "the Vulture won't wait long before heading into the Cavern Harbor. Captain Reeth is doing you a favor taking you to into the Undercity without payment. Don't forget that."
Falen Aust Thale:
"Bluffside awaits," Falen speaks to himself, feeling the chin of the Khemitian captain on his head. Strangely, he was easily taken with her. Feeling a warmth well up within him, he would have enjoyed a "roll in the hammock" with her. But she was right. Captain Reeth was indeed doing him a favor. He needed to about business until it was done. Looking straight ahead at the other vessel, he speaks to her, "If Tyche shines favorable, you and I shall share an ale when this business is done, Captain. I could learn much about your fore and aft, stern and bow." He pats the railing on the ship, as he invokes his double-entendre. "An exciting and adventurous vessel to be sure." He reaches down to take his haversack and puts it over his left shoulder, turning to face Mer-en-sekar. He dons his wide-brimmed hat, looking down where she can't she his face, magically changing his face to her own Bixby, his body shifting to his features, only Falen's normal height. "Farewell, Captain, until the next time." He turns away from her and moves quickly down the gangplank, not leaving her much room to see the shift in his features, but imitating Cobblegood's gait. He turns to wave, allowing his creature features to jut out from the disguise, and waves to her. "Thank you again!"

He moves silently through the docks toward the Vulture, guarding even his illusory facial features under his hat. The wide-brim of the hat protects his face from onlookers. Illusions are useful, but if one picks the wrong illusion, it generates a whole unintended set of problems. Bixby was well-known and generally well-regarded by everyone. It's what made him an excellent smuggler. Falen wasn't a smuggler today. He was a messenger. A tall halfling messenger. Bixby's face was prettier than his anyway.

He reached the Vulture and walked on to the gangplank, speaking to the man on watch in a normal, casual voice, "Ohoy. Captain Reeth? Permission to come aboard?"

Falen is careful, despite his casual, even cavalier approach. He does not allow people to see all of his face, and he is particularly attuned to those nearby, quick to look for enemies where others may not see them. He takes this approach very carefully upon reaching the Vulture, in case he has been compromised by the Dusk or anyone else.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck is relieved to see the others, intact, although at the same time he is cautious about the newcomer.

"We were followed, and attacked in New City," the kobold says plainly. "They said all of us would be attacked; what happened? Are Lady Emilliene, Lady Pomander and commander Oakfist alright?"

Studying Vinccenzo closely as if looking for signs, the urban ranger continues, "Three assassins from the Brelish Thieves' Guild, based in The Crossed Candles in Old City, followed us until we confronted them in the Silverbow Inn. One is now dead, one in custody and the third has fled. She has a thing for Akos, so she'll be back for an attempt at mating. Their guildmaster Kelik, also known as Barclay Winton, is apparently good friends with the renegade and has offered help to remove us from stopping him."

He does not appear to think there was anything odd about what he just said, but the stops for a moment nevertheless. Tuck holds out his small clawlike hand, and introduces himself to the newcomer, "My name is Tuck, and this here is my guard dog Mutt. Did you help my friends out, or did Tim do all the work?"

Likely Vinccenzo has never seen a kobold wink at him before, and the effect is odd on the draconic little head.

"Jam was helpful," he answers Custodio, "but he could not provide the Legend Lore magic. He pointed us to three others for that: Finus Lomusin, Harvess Mortin, or Master Hassenforth. Jam himself figured the monster is a troll or shambling plant creature, not a mythical being of the end times."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"She wants to mate me with her dagger, I think." Akos smiles at the misunderstanding "She was taken by surprise and people react strongly to me. For women it is usualy expressed as interest, but she is an evil sadist. I'd rather try a succubus."
"We three...four overcome prepared assassins. This is just a nuissance. I suspect your quarry is not interested in killing you, just keeping you distracted. He may yet need something of you."

Akos turns to Custodio. "Maybe you should let us deal with the monster and go to The Elite with this information.
If we want to catch the guild, we should try to organize the raid immediately. When Teresa returns they will move and hide."
 
Last edited:

NOW LIVE! 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top