Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck nods at the lad, and motioning for himself and Akos he adds, "Two, please. D'you know if Jam is around?"

OOC: My bad, indeed I meant the bard. Thanks for picking up on that.

The kobold just ordered two coffees. Never imagined such a thing would happen in a D&D game, but there you go. :)
"He's inside checking on today's batch of stew," the boy says as he balances cups and plates n his arms. "It's really good today." He deftly gives your table a wipe-down with a damp cloth before heading into the cave's opening. "Jam, a patron is looking for you."

"Ooh, what's the lady's name?"

"No, not like that. It's the kobold. Puck, I believe?"

"Ah, why didn't you say so!" Jamtulon so appears at the cave mouth. He's wearing his usual attire. Pomp and casual at the same time. A wild tunic and festive pantaloons but also a tan smock with a few stains. He wears a felt hat adorned with both semi-precious stones and an array of feathers that have seen better days.

"Mister Tuck, so good to see you. Come back for more kahve, have you?" He lets out a quick whistle. "Thaddée will bring it out in a second. Hurry up in there lad and bring me that new blend too."

"Yes'sir."

Thaddée appears with three cups of hot brew. Tuck can tell it is likely a blend of Jam's pale coffee and the powerful kahve he calls Buzz. He also carries a small pot that smells quite aromatic along with a couple of extra cups for tasting. Jam quickly sips his own coffee after adding a bit of sheep's milk, which he pours out of a flask. He pours both Tuck and Akos a small amount of the new blend and lets them try it at their leisure.

"Bring a bit of stew, too, Thaddée. I'm famished." He smiles at the kobold. "It's been a busy morning."

Akos sits tentatively on the dirty bench. Frowning, he looks around, noting patrons and their clothing, noting shabby interior...
"How can a bard live like this? Where is the flair? Where are the lives of the mighty? What importance could these wretches hold that is worth his time?"
While he can talk about and to common crowds, while he can probably talk or intimidate his way out of trouble, Akos is still too much fey, appreciating finer points of life and everything it can offer. This...tavern...barely can support necessities.
"Where else should I be but in the arms of those who need me most? Let The Five and the other puffed up nobles get their entertainments from the Theater on the Bluff or the the dens of the Black Boudoir. The best of them know that the best stories and songs originate here at The Tale!"

He stands with a flourish and begins singing a rousing tune called 'What’s In A Bottle Of Elfish Wine'. The bard weaves his way through those walking the corridors of the Coach & Six and dances with several maids as he sings. He dances a jig alongside several steam gnomes with his hands on his hips.

The coffee flows and soon the tables of The Tales are overflowing with patrons. Jam greets everyone personally and dishes out several plates of stew for some young waifs who came to listen but had no coin to pay. He even puts out a big bowl for the local stray cats filled with a mixture of sheep's milk and fish stew. He is soon sitting with you again and whistling in between spoonfuls of fishy broth. He pets a stray feline next to him that looks like it might have some 'dire' blood in it. The big cat purrs and rubs its whiskers against the man's knee.

"There is no where else I'd rather be," Jam gives Akos a wink just as Thaddée brings out a huge bone for Mutt to gnaw on.

---

Once they are out of earshot of the greasy merchant, Tim whispers the following to Custodio:

Tim whispers, "After the beast serves its purpose, we shall indeed do as you suggested. I think the children would love having it for a pet. I can also leave behind a small amount, perhaps 2 platinum pieces, to help pay for the animal's care and shelter for the first few months. What say you to this idea?"
"It's a good idea," Custodio agrees. "And there is an orphanage in New City that could really use the animal. It was hit hard during the disaster caused by the mad sorcerer."

The old donkey has more life in him that the greasy merchant believed; either that or the beast is just happy to be away from the man. It pulls the cart without difficulty, and the adventuring duo soon pull into the small estate of Kaleb's family. The Raupachs obviously have means although the small noble house would be considered upper-middle-class, at most, in Tim's homeland of Vrocia.

An old man who is obviously Kaleb's father, just by his bearing and the concern on his face, stands near the front door of the house. Another man, dressed in the uniform of a Bluffside Regular, stands next to him. When he sees the cart arrive, he nods to Kaleb's father and goes to help the adventurers help the young man out of the cart.

"Still haven't learned how to duck, have you, little brother, eh?" The man says mockingly.

"Don't start with me, Oskar. I've had a really bad couple of days."

"So I see," the older Raupach brother notes solemnly. "I can send a runner for Adeline, if you think you need it?"

"Don't bother our cousin, I'll be fine," Kaleb insists. "I just need some rest." He glances towards his father causally. "How is he?"

"Ornery," Oskar replies with a whisper. "But he's better than last week. Adeline stopped by several days ago and her salves helped." As the group nears the doors, Oskar raises his voice. "Well, you're going to have to heal fast. We cannot have you lying around here taking up space for weeks on end."

"Aye," their father replies. "I hear you tripped over a myth?"

"Father."

"Who are these men? They don't appear to be soldiers."

"A group of adventurers working for the Lord Commander," Kaleb replies. "Hunting a sorcerer."

"Ah, I see. I'd heard about that mission." He looks at the trio with a raised eyebrow. "Not what I was expecting, but I'm sure the Lord Commander knows his own business. Welcome to House Raupach. I am Lord Hugo Raupach. You may address me as Lord Raupach or Lord Master of the Sword."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Lord Raupach said:
"...Welcome to House Raupach. I am Lord Hugo Raupach. You may address me as Lord Raupach or Lord Master of the Sword."

Tim bows politely, and says, "I am Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross. I am honored to meet you, and I am most humbly at your service, Lord Raupach. And this is my friend and colleague, Padre Custodio Vecchi d'Elite, Curate of the Church of the Purifier."

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Where else should I be but in the arms of those who need me most? Let The Five and the other puffed up nobles get their entertainments from the Theater on the Bluff or the the dens of the Black Boudoir. The best of them know that the best stories and songs originate here at The Tale!"
---
"There is no where else I'd rather be," Jam gives Akos a wink just as Thaddée brings out a huge bone for Mutt to gnaw on.

"No offense was meant, good bard, there are stories of the lowest of the low and highest of the high of equal joy, tragedy, persistence, goodness, and wickedness...collecting them is a worthy task. But with your talents, you obviously don't have to live like this. So, it is your choice and you're free to do as you think is right as every man should."

Akos looks toward Tuck
"We came here counting on your knowledge. But maybe Tuck should be the one to tell you since I'm new one here."
@JustinCase - Tuck was withdrawn with the nobles, maybe here it is his time?

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck nods his thanks to Akos, and starts to explain softly, trying to remain unheard by other people around them.

"You know I don't usually ask for anything, Jam," the small kobold begins, awkwardly pouring down his kavhe without the liquid spilling from his mostly lipless mouth. Gulping, his eyes water a bit, and he mutters, "Hot..."

Regaining his posture, Tuck puts the cup down for a moment and continues, "Myself and several others, including Akos here, are investigating strange happenings in the Gardens, that may be related to the renegade mage I will not name. Some Elites have been attacked by a mysterious creature, and we need your help to discover what, exactly, the thing was."

Looking around once quickly, he then turns back to the bard.

"Do you know any magic that can aid us? I would be very grateful!"

As if on cue, Mutt barks once, wagging his tail and moving up to Jam as if expecting to be patted.

OOC: Thanks; Tuck is indeed more comfortable among the common people than among nobles, but he is still somewhat intimidated by larger folk - mostly everyone, from his point of view. :)

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar files away a mental note to investigate this "Black Boudoir" at some point. Though his first instinct is to regard such establishments as disreputable, he himself is often viewed little better, and the possibility of satisfying his physical needs in an "all business" fashion, without having to dance his way through the baffling maze of socialization between genders, seems like a vaguely logical approach.

OOC: Maybe in my next post I will actually do something...if there's anything to actually do.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva self-consciously straightens his cloak and comes to attention before Sir Silvon. He reaches into a pouch and produces his letter of introduction. "Sir, the head of my order prepared this letter of introduction for you. Breva Sciarra late of the siege at Redfrost at your service. If there is anything I can do to help with the situation in the New City you have but to ask."

He stands ridged as Sir Silvon reads the letter though his eyes wander to examine the other paladins in the room hoping that he compares well.
Sir Silvon reads the letter with considerable interest. He finishes it and gives Breva a look that could be disbelief or respect. It is hard to tell. He reads the letter again and then walks over to the brazier in front of the Purifier's statue and drops it in it. The letter vanishes in flames. The paladin turns back towards Breva and looks at him with what must be respect.

"I've known your superior for years. It is not like him to speak so glowingly about one of his soldiers. If that letter hadn't been penned on his personal stationary in his own hand, I'd call it fake and have you hauled away to the Dungeon in New City." The knight steps towards Breva and stares him squarely in the eyes. "There is sometime to what he wrote. I can see it in you. We will see if you can live up to his praises and his visions." Sir Silvon notes the quizzical look on Breva's face but his stern expression quickly tells the young paladin that Breva is not going to lean what his commander wrote about him.

"New City. The district is in turmoil. If you really what to become involved, I would be inclined to send you in to help deal with the Menace that caused that turmoil. There is a man on the loose; he is a renegade sorcerer. His name is Phelix Del Cannitha and he has been quite evasive. The Lord Commander of the Bluffside Elite has a group hunting for him, although from what I've heard, they're struggling to find the man. One of our knights in the guard has been keeping me informed on their movements and other of our order works alongside them. However, he hasn't reported back to me in a while. I'm beginning to think he's on some sort of vendetta."

The paladin walks towards the back of the castle with Breva beside him. He speaks openly in front of the other paladins standing guard around the statue. "His name is Custodio Vecchi. He a member of the order known as Avengers of the Vanquisher, so he's always been a bit of an outsider in the church. Still, he's made a name for himself as a member of the Bluffside Elite. He has witnessed firsthand the evils that this Del Cannitha madman has committed." He stops at the back of the castle. A set of stairs rise up along the wall to the second floor.

"I'm inclined to have you go and find him. Last I heard he was in Old City near the Gardens. You need to make sure he hasn't strayed from the faith and have him report to me as soon as possible. He must learn that he is a cleric of the Purifier first and a member of the Elite second. If he and his allies are close to finding the renegade, then help them bring the man to justice. If they are still stymied, tell him to come see me at once. Tell him that's an order not a request."

He pauses again. "Now go, and my the Light of the Purifier guide you to what Fatum has decreed for you."

Scotley

Hero
Breva is not given to false modesty, but Sir Silverton's words about the contents of the letter leave him with a flush on his cheeks. He had reason to think his superior would find his past deeds acceptable, but this praise was unexpected. He stands straight and holds his tongue Sir Silverton speaks. It is only with great effort of will that he keeps from glancing at the other Paladins to gauge their reaction. Surely such vanity would not be worthy of the true faithful of the Purifier.

He walks with Sir Silverton and listens carefully trying to hear not only what is said, but any undercurrents as well. Clearly, there are things about this Custodio Vecchi he is implying, but not saying. Finally, he senses that his audience is at an end and a response is expected.

"Sir, I shall carry out these orders." He says formally. "I will go now and seek Custodio Vecchi. The Purifier grant that he and the Elite are close to success in finding this renegade sorcerer. Is there aught else you can tell me about Phelix Del Cannitha that would guide me?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OLD CITY:
Tim bows politely, and says, "I am Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross. I am honored to meet you, and I am most humbly at your service, Lord Raupach. And this is my friend and colleague, Padre Custodio Vecchi d'Elite, Curate of the Church of the Purifier."
Custodio bows to Kaleb's father and adds, "It is an honor to meet you, Lord Master of the Sword."

"Hmm," he looks Tim up and down. "I'm not aware of that order of knights, which means you are a foreigner." He makes note of Tim's weapon. "And a well-armed one, at that."

"Father!" Kaleb objects.

"Oh, I meant no offense," he says while starting down Custodio. "Do I know you? Your name sounds familiar."

"I am a member of the Bluffside Elite, Lord Raupach. Although I am currently assigned away from the guard."

"Ah yes, the excommunicado soldier who was partly responsible for the mess in New City." He notes the look on Custodio's face. "No, no! I realize it was a dangerous situation and things were completely out of anyone's control. But if you think the Elite are going to let you reenter their ranks without some sort of trial, you are seriously mistaken."

"Father!"

"Quiet!" Lord Raupach chastises his youngest young. "One more outburst and you'll feel the lash, wounds or no wounds!"

Silence falls for seconds.

"Yes father, I am sorry." The boy nods. "I should go lie down."

"Heal quickly, my boy," Lord Raupach adds. "You cannot bring glory to our family on your back."

Without another word, Oskar caries his brother into the manor house. Once they are out of earshot, Lord Raupach sighs and shakes his head. "By the look of those wounds, he's going to need a lot of rest. I will have Adeline tend to him the next time she visits me."

All of a sudden, he looks much older as he reaches for a cane leaning against the door frame. He barely makes it to an old chair under a shade tree. "Ah, my boys. They are strong but reckless. Still, they are all I have in this world."

"What ails you, Lord Raupach? Perhaps I can help?" Custodio offers.

"Nay, no one can do anything for me. My sickness isn't curable by any means in this world." He pauses. "Well, no cure known to the healers in this city or even the elves of the Coldwind Forest. And I am too old to hunt for a cure in some far-off land." He looks at each of you. "I am sorry if my harsh words cut you. I don't want Kaleb an Oskar to see me wasting away. So, I snipe at them and others as I once did in my vigor."

"Think nothing of it, Lord Raupach."

"Good." He smiles and tps his cane on the ground. "Now, I need to rest and you need to find the renegade. Oh, and the next time you see the Lord Commander, let him know the offer to come to dinner still stands."

UNDERCITY:
"No offense was meant, good bard, there are stories of the lowest of the low and highest of the high of equal joy, tragedy, persistence, goodness, and wickedness...collecting them is a worthy task. But with your talents, you obviously don't have to live like this. So, it is your choice and you're free to do as you think is right as every man should."

Akos looks toward Tuck
"We came here counting on your knowledge. But maybe Tuck should be the one to tell you since I'm new one here."
@JustinCase - Tuck was withdrawn with the nobles, maybe here it is his time?
Tuck nods his thanks to Akos, and starts to explain softly, trying to remain unheard by other people around them.

"You know I don't usually ask for anything, Jam," the small kobold begins, awkwardly pouring down his kavhe without the liquid spilling from his mostly lipless mouth. Gulping, his eyes water a bit, and he mutters, "Hot..."

Regaining his posture, Tuck puts the cup down for a moment and continues, "Myself and several others, including Akos here, are investigating strange happenings in the Gardens, that may be related to the renegade mage I will not name. Some Elites have been attacked by a mysterious creature, and we need your help to discover what, exactly, the thing was."

Looking around once quickly, he then turns back to the bard.

"Do you know any magic that can aid us? I would be very grateful!"

As if on cue, Mutt barks once, wagging his tail and moving up to Jam as if expecting to be patted.

OOC: Thanks; Tuck is indeed more comfortable among the common people than among nobles, but he is still somewhat intimidated by larger folk - mostly everyone, from his point of view. :)
"Divinations like that aren't really my specialty," Jam replies. "Oh sure, I can identify magic items, but most of my ilk can do that." He pauses. "I'm assuming you mean legend lore." He pauses again to pet the dire cat. "Now, if you could describe this creature to me, I might be able to tell you what it is and isn't. Of course, seeing it would make it easier but I can't leave The Tale to go hunting monsters in the Gardens." He shakes his head.

"No, if you need someone to cast that particular spell, you'll need to seek out either Finus Lomusin or Harvess Mortin." He pauses again. "And I'm sure Master Hassenforth of the Teacher's Library could cast it for you. If he doesn't have it prepared for today, he could pray for it tomorrow."

Relgar files away a mental note to investigate this "Black Boudoir" at some point. Though his first instinct is to regard such establishments as disreputable, he himself is often viewed little better, and the possibility of satisfying his physical needs in an "all business" fashion, without having to dance his way through the baffling maze of socialization between genders, seems like a vaguely logical approach.
Relgar's ears perk up at the mention of Master Hassenforth. He remembers that the cleric of the Great Teacher met with him and his previous companions. When was that again? In the old Growers Tower, maybe?

Envisioner said:
OOC: Maybe in my next post I will actually do something...if there's anything to actually do.
OOC: Sorry that the game has dragged recently. I've been dealing with a lot of family issues and considerable pain. I had an incident on a local bus a couple weeks ago. The driver pulled away before I sat down and I was pitched against the bus's bench seat. So, I've added that pain to the chronic pain I already deal with. It's put me in a foul mood. :(

For something to do, you can roll a Knowledge (local) check for Relgar to remember exactly when and where you met Master Hassenforth. :)

TEMPLE DISTRICT:
Breva is not given to false modesty, but Sir Silverton's words about the contents of the letter leave him with a flush on his cheeks. He had reason to think his superior would find his past deeds acceptable, but this praise was unexpected. He stands straight and holds his tongue Sir Silverton speaks. It is only with great effort of will that he keeps from glancing at the other Paladins to gauge their reaction. Surely such vanity would not be worthy of the true faithful of the Purifier.

He walks with Sir Silverton and listens carefully trying to hear not only what is said, but any undercurrents as well. Clearly, there are things about this Custodio Vecchi he is implying, but not saying. Finally, he senses that his audience is at an end and a response is expected.

"Sir, I shall carry out these orders." He says formally. "I will go now and seek Custodio Vecchi. The Purifier grant that he and the Elite are close to success in finding this renegade sorcerer. Is there aught else you can tell me about Phelix Del Cannitha that would guide me?"
"Del Cannitha is a foreigner. He is an expat from a city-state far to the south known as Khasan. He was cast out of his family, if the rumors I've heard are true. He or his followers directly caused the disaster in New City, which led to the decree of martial law." He shakes his head. "It was overkill. The Five caused more suffering instead of letting the healers gain a stronger foothold in that district."

Sir Silvon paces back and forth as he continues. "This monster who caused it all had set himself up as a simple custodian in a new inn that was to open in New City. He killed several young adventurers and tried to kill their replacements. They were hired by by a lord known as Rande Mateû; Phelix worked for Lord Mateû under the name Felix Yoxall. The lord knew nothing of his employee's true motives or plans. It was what rogues like to call 'a long con'. Del Cannitha seems to be obsessed with hidden underground cellars and oubliettes."

The paladin stops pacing. "He tried to set fire to the inn with a fireball spell. His minions caused an explosion that wiped out an entire section of New City's outer wall and killed hundreds of people including guards and citizens alike." He is nearly at the point of shouting. He sighs and settles himself. "Del Cannitha allied himself with an infamous mercenary group known as The Rising Swords, and he has his own fanatical soldiers that call themselves Loyalists."

He turns at looks at Breva square in the eyes. "If you encounter him or his followers, do not underestimate them."

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"No, if you need someone to cast that particular spell, you'll need to seek out either Finus Lomusin or Harvess Mortin." He pauses again. "And I'm sure Master Hassenforth of the Teacher's Library could cast it for you. If he doesn't have it prepared for today, he could pray for it tomorrow."

OOC:
Do we know anything about these two? Obviously, the priest is well known, but these names...sound warlocky and alienisty :)

Remove ads