log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]


log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"UGH! Gah! PHatoo!!"

Vinny caughs, spits sputters and gags as he backs away from the privy. "That is nasty. needed down here I am sure, but nastyy!"
"And we needed somewhere to dump the mimic's waste as well," Lowenan adds. "It wasn't very clean."

"Can I get my spellbook?" Silagord asks Custodio and Vinccenzo. "I will hand it over to you if you insist, but I don't want to leave it here." He points towards the corridor. "It's locked in a chest in the barracks."

"I have some family items storied in there too," Lady Arnona says.

"Fine! But make it quick," Custodio says as he leads Lowenan out the double doors and down the corridor. "Vinny, can you watch them?"

Silagord nods and he rushes out of the room and back into the barracks. Arnona goes with him. Mutt growls at Silagord and Thare but the dog doesn't menace the cat. Instead, the big dog becomes impatient and begins looking for his pack mate. He has soon found his way to Tuck.

Rhilaseth follows them out but stays within sight of Custodio and Tim, as not to antagonize the Elite guard and knight. He waits for Custodio to lead his commander out of the room.

Breva shrugs at Vinny's strong reaction to the privy. "A necessary evil I suppose. Shall we leave this place for now?"
"As fast as we can," Custodio agrees. "Let's get out of here."

Lowenan motions to the DMK. "You are not going to be able to get him to leave," the ex-commander says. "He will not leave the genie here alone." He pauses at the doorway. "Loremaster, there is a good chance that he might never be able to leave here," he says to Akos. "As I said earlier, he believes he's been down here only a few months, and that might be true, down here, but he's been away from the true passage of time in the world for years. If he leaves without some sort of magical protection, he will quickly die of starvation and thirst."

"Will he really just stay here?" Custodio asks. "What if Phelix comes for him?"

"Phelix's Loyalists fear him," Lowenan says. "Only their strongest leaders would be a match for him, and it would take several of them to overwhelm him. He will fight to the death to protect her and this room. My ment-... Phelix may not risk it right away. But you are right, he will not want to lose access to this room. He will send someone through the portal, eventually."

"But if he eats and drinks..."

"Enough for the passage of years and years?" Lowenan shakes his head. "No, he would die from the shock. He will need a magic ring that will provide his body with the energy he needs to be able to return to the world. And, there are a few spells that could protect him after leaving the labyrinth but they will only last a few minutes at most." He pauses. "He must stay here or risk a painful death. I have come to admire him and don't wish him to die such an ignoble death." He looks at Akos. "You must explain it to him. Phelix's never let me tell him the truth. I should have ignored that order."

"Someone should stay with him," Custodio suggests.

"He will be fine on his own. He was for a long time before Phelix first encountered him. But he must be told why we are leaving and why he must stay."

The DMK soon becomes aware that everyone is talking about him. He signs to Akos to try find out what the problem is and why the other are leaving. "You must help her," he signs to Akos. "you said you'd free her."

"Lo siento mucho, Sin Voz," Lowenan says.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Vinccenzo inspects the floor around the petrified wizard to see if there are any pieces of the wizard in the rubble pile or anything else that could be useful. He finds several discarded small chips that could be put back in place on his arms but none for the petrified wizard's face or his missing finger. He also finds a tarnished ring in the pile of rubble and he disturbs a tiny mouse that skitters away along the wall.

Tuck listens to the conversation with interest, but is then strangely intrigued by the mouse fleeing from Vinny searching the floor.

Calling over to Mutt, the kobold instructs the dog to catch the rodent.

His guts tell Tuck that somehow the mouse is important. Either there is significance to its presence here in this room, or it could come in useful later.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Can I assume Tuck caught the mouse?


Upon catching the little rodent, Tuck inspects it thoroughly. There seems to be nothing out of the ordinary about the mouse, and the kobold nods to himself.

"I will be keeping this one close by, to check the temporal effects as we're leaving," he states, still unconvinced that the mouse is not a spy or something.

Then Tuck and Mutt are ready to go.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim says to Akos, "Sign to him, and tell him that we will return with help, but because time passes differently here, it might be awhile. Tell him not to give up hope. I do not intend to sit by while an innocent suffers. I know nothing about the Djinni, but seeing his loyalty to her is enough for me. No one can command that kind of loyalty through cruelty, callousness, or fear."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos nods at Tim and takes some time to carefully sign the intent to the knight.

At the end, he takes a moment to heal the genie once more, pulses of healing light passing more easily through the portal now that the combat is over. But the energy is still weak, dissipating as it passes through the planar rift.

Genie healing vs AC 10; healed: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
2D6 = [1, 5] = 6
Genie healing vs AC 10; healed: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
2D6 = [1, 4] = 5

OOC: full round action or two to carefully sign - taking 20 if there is time + 2 standard actions to heal (1 if we DO NOT have time to do it)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Loremaster, let the Knight know we must leave for now but will return."

"Lady Arnona and Siligord, please retrieve your belongings quickly."

Vinny follows and watches the two closely.
The two ex-guards move into the small barracks room and move to the two chests. Arnona produces a key and unlocks both of the chests. Silagord pulls out a spellbook, pouch of coins, and a few other items that look to be personal. He willingly hands over his spellbook to Vinny, although the Sectarian Guard can tell it pains the young man to do so.

All of Arnona's possessions look to be deeply personal in nature. There is a heavy cloak that is neatly folded, an old pocket watch, and a few other things that she stuffs in a pack that was hidden under the bed.

"We are ready," she says. She and Silagord walk in front of Vinny through the corridor next to the other ex-guards and Custodio.

Breva considers the knights perilous situation and shakes his head. "Once you explain things we really should go."
"Quickly," Custodio adds.

Tuck listens to the conversation with interest, but is then strangely intrigued by the mouse fleeing from Vinny searching the floor.

Calling over to Mutt, the kobold instructs the dog to catch the rodent.

His guts tell Tuck that somehow the mouse is important. Either there is significance to its presence here in this room, or it could come in useful later.
Upon seeing the mouse chase Breva moves to see what is happening.
The mouse squeaks in fear as Mutt corners it and then Tuck rushes in to scoop up the miniscule animal. It shakes with fear in Tuck's hands but has more to fear from Mutt than the kobold.

Mutt whines. He thought it was going to be a snack.

Upon catching the little rodent, Tuck inspects it thoroughly. There seems to be nothing out of the ordinary about the mouse, and the kobold nods to himself.

"I will be keeping this one close by, to check the temporal effects as we're leaving," he states, still unconvinced that the mouse is not a spy or something.

Then Tuck and Mutt are ready to go.
"If it has spent its life here," Lowenan says. "Then is will probably die the moment you take it beyond the double doors past the golem. We have seen some rats down here before and there is a room southeast of the entry point from the guard post that seems to be a lair for giant rats. There are giant spiders in a room to the west and giant beetles in a room to the southwest. We avoided them whenever possible."

"So the doors are important?" Custodio says. He motions for the others to stop. "Explain."

"The doors seem to be designed to be a barrier even though they look mundane," the ex-commander says. "Once we are past them, the time effect will be lessened. But as long as they remain open, time will spill out of this part of the labyrinth and into the world above. Leaving the doors open for you was part of Phelix's plan. Once we are through, they must be closed or time will continue to slow in Bluffside."

Tim says to Akos, "Sign to him, and tell him that we will return with help, but because time passes differently here, it might be awhile. Tell him not to give up hope. I do not intend to sit by while an innocent suffers. I know nothing about the Djinni, but seeing his loyalty to her is enough for me. No one can command that kind of loyalty through cruelty, callousness, or fear."
Akos nods at Tim and takes some time to carefully sign the intent to the knight.
While the others head for the exit, Tim and Akos say behind to explain the situation to the knight. He nearly drops his sword in shock. At first, he doesn't believe Akos and it takes precious minutes for the Loremaster to convince him of the truth. Once he realizes his life is at stake and that the others must leave, he nods to Akos and moves to the altar.

"I will say and watch over her," he signs to the Loremaster. "Please hurry and save yourself from my fate. I will pray for your return and salvation for both of us, and I will watch over the wizard turned to stone. If Phelix comes or me, I will make him pay for his treachery."

He bows to both Akos and Tim.

Neurotic said:
At the end, he takes a moment to heal the genie once more, pulses of healing light passing more easily through the portal now that the combat is over. But the energy is still weak, dissipating as it passes through the planar rift.

Genie healing vs AC 10; healed: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
2D6 = [1, 5] = 6
Genie healing vs AC 10; healed: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
2D6 = [1, 4] = 5

OOC: full round action or two to carefully sign - taking 20 if there is time + 2 standard actions to heal (1 if we DO NOT have time to do it)
Once Akos has done all he can, he and Tim follow the others down the corridor in the direction of the entryway. The DMK closes the double doors to the portal room behind them. He will guard the room and the genie with his life, Tim is sure of the man's resolve.

They find their allies and prisoners paused in front of the double doors leading into the entry room that leads up into the guard post above. Akos can now see that time is 'off' when he and Tim approach. The others seems to be moving a lot quicker than he and Tim.

"We must close the doors behind us to block the magic," Custodio says. His voice sounds funny to Tim. High pitched and squeaky. "Lowenan says its the only way to keep this slower time from affecting all of Bluffside."

Tuck takes a step into the chokepoint and the mouse squeals in pain. Before he can move back, the mouse has turned into a shriveled husk. That would have been the DMK's fate if he had tried to come with them. Tuck feels the effect himself. He is hit with pang in his stomach that tells him he's going to need to eat, drink, and then relieve himself very soon and he'll have to find a privy very soon.

Custodio follows him in and immediately regrets it. "Oh gods, I hate this place. Lets get out of here and find a place to... relax."

"The effect will be much worse once the doors close behind us," Lowenan says. "Prepare yourself for painful stomach cramps and waves of nausea. We must get up the rope as fast as possible and hope no one has an accident while climbing."

OOC: Neurotic, if you want Akos to Take 20, then that is at least 2 minutes, which equals another 2 hours in Bluffside.

Once the doors are shut, all the PCs, Custodio, and Mutt must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or become nauseated. The DC for the ex-guards are higher (DC 20) since they have been there longer but each of them gets a +4 circumstance bonus to their rolls because they had access to food, wine, and water. PCs that eat rations and drink water from waterskins gets a +2 circumstance bonus to their rolls.

On a successful save, the character is simply very hungry and thirsty and must eat food and drink water within 1 hour or start to feel light-headed. If they go longer without food or water they become fatigued within 1d4+1 hours.

On a Natural 1, bad things begin to happen inside a character's gut. There is an urge that can't be delayed. :poop:
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: How much time did the rest take with catching the mouse, taking stuff from the trunks etc? If it is less, he will do what he can, but will take some time to make sure they understand each other. Also, now that they have time, he can write on the paper assuming the knight knows one of the languages Akos speaks.


Loremaster took the warning seriously and he drank water while observing knights responses and chewed on some rations since he didn't need the mouth to speak. His monastery life enured him to the demands of the body, but there was no need to make it worse than it has to be.

Fort vs hunger: 1D20+9+2 = [13]+9+2 = 24
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck feels it, his stomach becoming a pit of hunger and his bowels acting up, as well. As a kobold, however, he is used to thirst and hunger, and despite the lack of privacy in a kobold warren, Tuck has learned to relieve himself away from non-kobolds. He'll manage.

Mutt, however, is a creature of instinct mostly. A distinct smell wafts through the hall as the dog poops in the corner, then whines about feeling utterly exhausted.

"I know, big boy," Tuck tries to calm the canine down, and he takes out his waterskin, drinks a few sips before giving some water to his dog.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As Tim makes his way out, he pauses for a few moments*, to take one last, long, swig of water, and to pop another handful of trail rations into his mouth. Then he quickly continues on his way.

OOC: * = 12 seconds / 2 rounds, TOPS. If he can do it in one round, he will. See OOC thread for Save; Tim made it with flying colors.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen takes out his special pouch of rations and munches down several of the biscuits and then he takes out and activates his everful mug and drinks down the water it produces. He decides to activate it a second time and drinks more water down.

OOC: How much time did the rest take with catching the mouse, taking stuff from the trunks etc? If it is less, he will do what he can, but will take some time to make sure they understand each other. Also, now that they have time, he can write on the paper assuming the knight knows one of the languages Akos speaks.


Loremaster took the warning seriously and he drank water while observing knights responses and chewed on some rations since he didn't need the mouth to speak. His monastery life enured him to the demands of the body, but there was no need to make it worse than it has to be.

Fort vs hunger: 1D20+9+2 = [13]+9+2 = 24
OOC: It probably wouldn't take too much time time for Mutt and Tuck to catch the mouse. I sort of assumed that was happened while Akos was conversing with the DMK. But I did forgot about the time regarding Arnona and Silagord recovering their items. I'll say that took several minutes of work. The two healing checks would be equivalent to two round or 12 seconds, which would be another 12 minutes in Bluffside.

I'd say overall, no more than 8 to 10 minutes total including everything you want the Loremaster to do and more characters eating rations and drinking water. If Akos wants to be faster, then I'll say 5 minutes. So, at minimum, 5 more hours lost in Bluffside and much as 10 hours if Akos wants to be 100% clear to the DMK about everything that has transpired.

There is more for Akos at the very end of the post.

As everyone tries to cram into the 15-ft. by 10-ft. entryway it quickly become clear that not everyone is going to fit into the room all at once. Lowenan suggests opening the eastern side door, which leads into an oddly shaped hallway.

"These other three doors don't need to be closed for the temporal effect to be blocked." he says. "But don't open the other two. The northern door leads to smaller room which contains a deep pit trap. The other door leads to a spider den. We tried to clear them out, but there is a large hole in the floor which leads to someplace deeper... deadlier."

The eastern door is opened and Vinccenzo and Custodio are forced to take the prisoners into a small corridor shaped like a puzzle piece. The two guards and all four prisoners barely fit into the tight corridor. This leave just enough room for the others to cram into the entryway.

As Tim makes his way out, he pauses for a few moments*, to take one last, long, swig of water, and to pop another handful of trail rations into his mouth. Then he quickly continues on his way.

OOC: * = 12 seconds / 2 rounds, TOPS. If he can do it in one round, he will. See OOC thread for Save; Tim made it with flying colors.
Tim pulls the double doors shut behind him and Akos. (The Loremaster and Falen are forced to squeeze into next to the Big Tim.) It is not a simple thing. The temporal effect makes the half-ogre strain his muscles as he pulls the door shut.

At first, it doesn't seem like anything has happened. Then, glowing runic script appears along the edges of the two doors and there is flow of energy and time that slams into everyone. Everyone's stomachs churn, vision becomes blurred, and the air becomes choked in the smell of decay. The doorway around the doors is sealed by a glowing blue energy.

"It's worse than I thought it would be," Lowenan says as he grabs at his stomach and barely holds in the food he ate earlier.

"By the Purifier! I really hate this place!" Custodio exclaims. He falls to his knees at the end of the side corridor with his hands on another wooden door that leads to somewhere else in the labyrinth. The young Vanquisher looks like he's going to hurl.

Next to him, Rhilaseth is unaffected but all the other ex-guards are soon groaning in discomfort and grabbing at their stomachs. Silagord falls into the fetal position with Thare on top of him. The fluffy cat mews in discomfort and coughs up a hairball on her master.

Lady Arnona slumps down into a corner of the short corridor. She turns green but manages not to throw up. "Damn that damn sorcerer and his twisted plans," she says.

"I'm so sorry, my dear," Lowenan says as his head swims. The old warrior falls to one knee and looks at Vinccenzo and the others in the entryway. He is amazed to see that they are unaffected. "You are all much stronger than even Phelix knows."

OOC: Fortitude saves for Falen and all the various NPCs are on the OOC thread.

Tuck feels it, his stomach becoming a pit of hunger and his bowels acting up, as well. As a kobold, however, he is used to thirst and hunger, and despite the lack of privacy in a kobold warren, Tuck has learned to relieve himself away from non-kobolds. He'll manage.

Mutt, however, is a creature of instinct mostly. A distinct smell wafts through the hall as the dog poops in the corner, then whines about feeling utterly exhausted.

"I know, big boy," Tuck tries to calm the canine down, and he takes out his waterskin, drinks a few sips before giving some water to his dog.
Tuck and Mutt are forced against the southern wall of the room alongside Breva. The smell of Mutt's poop increases to the horrible smell in the small room, but Tuck and Mutt are used to bad smells.

The big dog is forced to sit and he continues to whine in discomfort. He leans against Tuck and begins to pant. Tuck looks up towards the guard post above and the rope he and the others are going to have to climb. He realizes that their going to have to haul Mutt up there as the dog's normal limberness is now laid low by the temporal magic now sealed behind the double doors.

Vinny watches as all but one of the ex-guards succumbs to the effect of time snapping back to normal. He knows he should feel sorry for them but...

He can also hear Custodio dry heaving at the far end of the twisted corridor but he can't see the man. Rhilaseth is standing next to the Vanquisher cleric but the man seems more concerned about helping Silagord who looks like he might need to be hauled up to the guard post beyond.

Back in the entryway, Akos checks the door and knows the altered time has been sealed away. The glowing script on the double doors weren't visible before but are now unmistakable. Akos can see that along the top of one of the doors is writing, in an old form of Ticin, that warns of the Labyrinth of Lost Ghosts that lies beyond. A special phrase is required to reopen the doors but it is also written on the center of both doors but the script appears to be Ticin. But as Akos reads it, it changes to Sylvan, then Váryar, and finally Cliffspeak. Then it settles on Sylvan and doesn't change again for him.

"Into Aphogorin's twisted corridors I want to brave,
To seek more than an early grave."

Aphogorin... where has Akos heard that name before? That name makes the hairs on the back of the Loremaster's neck stand up.

OOC: Knowledge checks can be made to determine the identity of Aphogorin and the origins of the Plane of Lost Ghosts. That will be Knowledge (local) and Kowledge (the planes). Knowledge (arcana) is also helpful when dealing with arcane symbols and cryptic phrases.
 

Scotley

Hero
OOC:
Fort Save: 1D20+13 = [4]+13 = 17


Breva weathers a brief wave of nausea and then stands tall and takes a deep breath of fresh air outside. "Perhaps we should have made use of that stinking hole back inside after all," he comments wistfully. "Does anyone need a bit to eat? It seemed to help?" he asks offering rations and water to prisoner or party member alike. He looks at the changing words and shakes his head. "I can't make anything of that. Does it tell any of you something useful?" He is particuluarly curious if Lowenan or the Sorcerer is willing to comment.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos is fascinated by the door, but by the time he noticed the reference he was too distracted by the moans of his companions.
"We can try and return later, right now, we need to get back into the city and report - they will be wondering what happened to us."

At Lowenans comment he turns toward the commander
"Do you really think The Five would send just anyone?! I mean, in the span of the week, we captured old city killer, found your hideout, survived three assassination attempts, survived your pet demon and right now, we are returning with you in tow."

"Sir Tim, would you please get up the rope first, you're taking enough space for four of us and you are strong enough to keep the captives under control once they are up there. Silagord, Lowenan, do you have levitation magic or some other means to make the ascent easier?"

"I will remove temporarily any nausesa you might feel just before you start the ascend. Be quick, it won't last, but you will be able to get up there much faster."


With that, he returns to the study of the doors until someone that needs help with the nausea comes to the climbing

OOC: again taking 20 on each roll unless the people are fast climbers :)
Local: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23
Planar: 1D0+11 = [0]+11 = 11
Arcana: 1D20+13 = [12]+13 = 25

1d0 :D :D
Planar: 1D20+11 = [1]+11 = 12 AARGH! I'm cursed
 

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
OOC:
Fort Save: 1D20+13 = [4]+13 = 17

Breva weathers a brief wave of nausea and then stands tall and takes a deep breath of fresh air outside. "Perhaps we should have made use of that stinking hole back inside after all," he comments wistfully. "Does anyone need a bit to eat? It seemed to help?" he asks offering rations and water to prisoner or party member alike. He looks at the changing words and shakes his head. "I can't make anything of that. Does it tell any of you something useful?" He is particuluarly curious if Lowenan or the Sorcerer is willing to comment.
"I could use some food and water if you would. I don't think they can eat right now, much less cast magic." The last is directed to Akos, "We'll just have to haul them up. Becareful of the cat familiar. It is in a bad state."
 



Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top