Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck holds completely still, convinced he has not been seen yet. Very, very slowly his hand reaches for his crossbow as his eyes dart around, looking for a dark place to hide.

If only there is enough darkness to fit, so that he can vanish from sight. His ring would even make him invisible for those using darkvision to look for him!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Not unexpected. Let me talk to them."
Loremaster comes forward and knocks politely before opening the door. He is wary however, not stepping inside until he can see the occupants.

"Hello, you seem to be expecting guests. You forgot to announce us to your guardian. I'm afraid we were forced to deactivate it."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck holds completely still, convinced he has not been seen yet. Very, very slowly his hand reaches for his crossbow as his eyes dart around, looking for a dark place to hide.

If only there is enough darkness to fit, so that he can vanish from sight. His ring would even make him invisible for those using darkvision to look for him!
The corridor's walls are fairly even and there are no alcoves that Tuck can see. He could try to move past the doors and hope no one sees him, but the light coming from inside would likely give him away. His best option is to flatten himself along the wall.

OOC: Roll a Hide check.

"Not unexpected. Let me talk to them."
Loremaster comes forward and knocks politely before opening the door. He is wary however, not stepping inside until he can see the occupants.

"Hello, you seem to be expecting guests. You forgot to announce us to your guardian. I'm afraid we were forced to deactivate it."
Akos finds the double doors open. what he sees beyond them is awe-inspiring and a bit terrifying. The doors lead into a large room that is 55 feet long and 50 feet wide. In the center of the room sits a large altar surrounded by four columns. Ten feet above the altar is a open, swirling portal of black energy that is directed down toward the altar. The room's ceiling seems to disappear into darkness. Every inch of the room's walls are covered in symbols and esoteric writing. The altar is covered in strange arcane script that Akos doesn't recognize at first glance.

Two lit braziers sit near the center of the northern and southern walls. Two old wooden chairs flank the southern brazier while a table and three other chairs are arranged around the northern brazier. A tall man stands next to the brazier warming his hands. He seems unconcerned by Akos knock on the door but waves the Loremaster to come inside. Akos can see another man kneeling on the floor in front of the altar. He doesn't move even after Akos enters the room.

"Ah, Loremaster Akos," the man says. "I am glad to meet you, but I do wish it was under better circumstances." The man unbuckles a fine sheath that holds a rapier and sits down in the chair against the wall next to the brazier. He lays the rapier across his knees and picks up a goblet from the table and takes large gulp. "Ah, a very good vintage."

Beyond the altar and the portal is a large magic circle wreathed in a red glow. A large feminine outsider seems to float motionlessly at the center of the circle. she seems to frozen in time. Energy seems to connect the portal to the magic circle.

In each corner of the room is a walled alcove. The two closest to the door have large marble statues in them of ancient warrior kings. Each one stands over 15 feet tall. The the far, northeastern alcove sits a large throne made of gold with cushions made of fine silk. The last alcove seems to be filled with castoff bits of statuary and rubble.

After Akos enters, two other men step out from behind the short walls of the niche. Both are armed with their weapons drawn but they stand at attention and do not menace the Loremaster.

"Please do not worry about, my men," the man says. "They, like me, are here to keep the peace while my mentor makes his offer to you and your companions. Well, my mentor's scribe." He points to the portal. "He will appear there shortly but will not be joining us, physically. It would be wise for you to avoid trying to influence anyone here with your words. I promise we will do the same." There is venom in the word influence.

The kneeling man looks up to look at the man and then his eyes dart to Akos. His eyes are like daggers into the Loremaster's soul. The man holds up his hand and the kneeling man exhales and stands. He turns to look at Akos, and Vinny beyond the door. He studies both of them carefully.

"Try not to let the young knight's gaze rattle you. He is quite the unique individual. Completely deaf and mute. As far as he knows, you are here to kill her." The man motions to the outsider trapped in the magic circle. "My mentor discovered him here, guarding her, when he found this place. He killed over a dozen Loyalists before my mentor convinced him we wouldn't hurt her." He gasps and puts a hand to his mouth. "Oh, how rude of me. I haven't given you my name yet. I am Lowenan Wearne. Once a commander among the Bluffside Elite. I now serve Phelix Del Cannitha, my mentor."

"Now, if you could please invite the others to join us, I'm sure Midedlurt will appear in the portal soon to make my mentor's offer to you. Come sit, have some wine. It is very good. Maybe some venison. It's a day old but still tasty."

The Loremaster can tell that Lowenan is not asking him to sit, he's telling him.

Vinny is not letting anything sneak up on them so he keeps a guard on the other side of the door, his blade swishing back and forth.
From his vantage point, Vinny can see the altar, portal, summoning circle, throne, and three of the men in the room. After looking into the room, every instinct in the Sectarian Guard's body tells him that they should run.

OOC: Do we have a sense of how far beyond the doors the voice was? Trying to decide blade or bow.
OOC: That sounds like a Listen check to me. You can roll if you want.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos bows slightly.
"You will forgive us if we are cautious. Not the best track record from both of our sides. I promise I will not try to influence anyone here with anything but the truth. I reserve the right to correct that boy's wrong assumption since it is based on a lie of your master. Sorry, mentor."

He walks inside slowly, looking at everything, trying to fit it in his history lessons, and once the man mentions the boy was already here, he tries to recognize any heraldry on him. Walking slowly, non-threateningly, he nods with a deeper bow to the youth guarding the woman and continues toward the table.

Once there he ignores the chairs and calmly sits on the throne.
"I believe my companions will remain on the other side of the room, except for an actual elite guard. Sergeant Custodio Vecchi, please." he motions for the Elite to join him.
"But as you know, we're not a military company, I don't give them orders. Most of them are higher social status than I am except obviously I'm a priest so we're kind of equals."

"The rest I'm sure you know, Sir Breva Sciarra, a purifier, Sir Tymbeck Valencia, a knight from another world, signor Vinccenzo d'Lucio recently joined our group. And some of the elite and regulars assigned to watch over us and spy on us. Ignorable."

Akos pours himself some wine but doesn't drink yet.
OOC: No one specified where to sit and this is not 'influencing' as such :D
I don't have a way to communicate with the deaf/mute - sign language isn't something commonly known, especially a historical one.
@Knightfall I'm done with this post, we now wait for "the scribe"

Also @ScottDeWar_jr and @Aust Thale it would be helpful to have your characters in RG
@JustinCase, Tuck in intentionally left out, it can be waved away as 'local guide' thing and he may remain hidden if they are not aware of our numbers. Same for @Aust Thale / Falen, since he didn't fight with us before

So, knowledge rolls (oh, the gap! the gap!):
History: 43
Arcana: 30
Bardic Lore: 14
Planes 13
Architecture 11
Nobility 10

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck listens to Akos and the one calling himself Lowenan talking, and is grateful the Loremaster does not mention him. Not daring to order Mutt after Akos to guard him, the kobold instead inches closer and closer to the door, hoping to remain undetected.

Remove ads