Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim steps in front of Mani, blocking Mariana from proceeding by putting both his body and Rizvan in the path of her weapon. He looks at her sternly:

Tim warns, "If you want to murder this creature, you'll have to come through me. Know that I wish him dead as well, but The Five want him alive for questioning. When they're done with him, I am certain he will hang for his crimes. But until then, he must remain alive, and I intend to see to it that he does."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim steps in front of Mani, blocking Mariana from proceeding by putting both his body and Rizvan in the path of her weapon. He looks at her sternly:

Tim warns, "If you want to murder this creature, you'll have to come through me. Know that I wish him dead as well, but The Five want him alive for questioning. When they're done with him, I am certain he will hang for his crimes. But until then, he must remain alive, and I intend to see to it that he does."
Tim is surprised by Mariana's rage. She tries in vain to get to the doppelganger to the point of recklessness. She tries to kick the half-ogre knight in the knee in order distract him, as she tries to take Mani's head off. The strike is awkward and Tim easily blocks it with Rizvan. The strike wasn't even close.

"Get out of my way!" She yells. "That monster must die!"

"That is not your decision to make," Vinccenzo replies. "Not yours, not Tim's, not mine... none of us."

"Regular, you are risking your career," Herleva says to Mariana. "If you kill a helpless prisoner, the least you will face is ostracization from Bluffside. Concentrate on the Rising Swords. They are the threat!"

The female archer steps back from Breva, drops her bow, and draws her blade. She seems uncertain, but she doesn't run. The evil cleric's presence nearby keeps her in the fight.

Looking in surprise at the resistant Rising sword Akos nods in all seriousnes.
"You really are something. You should ignore that bumbling fool behind you and join The Five in trying to control this menace. A man of your obvious talent dying just for some motto? Right! And your pigstickers cannot harm one touched by the Court of the Moon..." Akos motions to his own silver weapon. "This is the only thing that works, and I carry it to remind myself of the danger of complacency. It would be softer touch for you, weaker than iron. But if you survive, ask around what substance harms Children of the Moon the most."
The archer grins at Akos, but there is only menace in his eyes. He drops his bow, shifts away from the snapping teeth of Mutt, and draws his blade. "You think The five would forgive a man that was once an Elite, hmm? A man forced from his home for a crime he didn't commit by a system that cares nothing for the truth! They took my honour, and my betrayer took my wife! No one believed me then, why would they now!"

He shouts out a challenge of anger as he tries to cut Akos' head off. The loremaster manages to avoid losing his head, but the man still cuts a deep wound into Akos' shoulder. The iron blade makes his skin blister.

OOC: RS Archer (male) - Attack vs. Akos: 1D20+10-2 = [15]+10-2 = 23 (hit); RS Archer (male) - Damage vs. Akos: 1D8+3+1D6 = [8]+3+[3] = 14 | Akos takes 6 points of damage

Roland leaves the mercenary to the other two guards, and, initially, steps towards the fleeing man. Then he shakes his head and moves to engage the evil cleric, hoping he can keep the man distracted, so the loremaster has to worry about one foe. He slashes out at the cleric with his short sword, but the cleric easily deflects the strike away with his club.

Vinccenzo immediately senses that the mercenary that succumbed to his spell, has managed to break free of the enchantment. "Tim, he's free from spell!"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mutt instinctively shifts to keep the mercenary, being challenged by the two guards, from being able to back up to his allies. He plants himself behind the man and tries to bit his ass off. The man manages to put the dog off with his shield, however.

Tuck considers firing at the fleeing mercenary. The idea of one of them getting away makes his blood boil. But when he sees the archer back up from Breva and draw a blade, the kobold ranger knows that's his best shot. He takes aim and fires three bolts as fast as his hands can move. All three streak through the air and find the target.

The mercenary caries out in pain but doesn't go down, but two bolts are now lodged in her chest and one in her thigh. The sound of her voice surprises Tuck for a moment. The Rising Swords rarely recruit woman. At least, that's what he's heard in the past. Could their membership be expanding?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
D490C18F-5061-4FE2-A424-AC3E4C0C26C6.jpeg

Tim moves 1 square diagonally upper right (Northeast) = 5 ft.
Tim moves 2 squares straight up (North) = 10 ft.
Total movement: 15 ft.
Tim ends his movement in the position marked with the yellow circle.
From the position, he is within 10 ft. of either mercenary.
(Blue markers indicate distance.)
(First diagonal move is always 5 ft. So no matter how you measure it, he is 10 ft. away from Merc #4.)
There is no question that Merc #1 is 10 ft. away.
Since Tim's reach is 10 ft., he can strike either one.
Tim moved more than 5 ft., so he only gets one attack.
Tim attacks Merc #1
Tim attacks the wounded archer who backed away from Breva.: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23
If 23 hits, then the Greatsword deals:
Greatsword Damage vs. Archer: 2D6+8 = [4, 4]+8 = 16

Tim takes a few steps, placing himself into a more strategic position, and swings his family's heirloom Greatsword down HARD on her shoulder. The archer winces as the sword rends the shoulder piece of her studded leather, pierces it, and draws blood!

OOC: Archer takes 16 pts. of damage. Not sure if that will drop her. I will let the DM describe the effects of the attack further.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim takes a few steps, placing himself into a more strategic position, and swings his family's heirloom Greatsword down HARD on her shoulder. The archer winces as the sword dents her shoulder plate, pierces it, and draws blood!

OOC: Archer takes 16 pts. of damage. Not sure if that will drop her. I will let the DM describe the effects of the attack further.
The archer's studded leather is rent apart at the shoulder and so is most of her shoulder as well. She howls in pain and clutches at the wound with her free hand. She looks ready to collapse but stays on her feet. "I'd rather die here than at the end of a noose!"

Herleva takes aim with her light crossbow at the mercenary standing next to Mariana and fires a bolt that flies over the man's head and the rest of the combatants, by a long margin. "Mariana!" She looks at Vinccenzo and he nods. "Mariana, snap out of it! This fight isn't over yet!"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Cantrips
Detect Magic, Light, Message*, Silent Portal, Ray of Frost

Level One
Cutting Hand*, Critical Strike, Ice Dagger, Nightshield, Magic Missile
Bonus [item familiar]: Shocking Grasp

Level Two
Blur, Electric Loop, Mirror Image, Cat's Grace *

Level Three
Dolorus Blow*, Haste, Hold Person

*Transmutation specialty.

Vinccenzo stays back from the melee, but he shifts right to get a better angle on the mercenary who shrugged off his hold person spell. "Not many options left," he muses. "I hate wasting another spell on you."

He spits out harsh arcane words and snaps his fingers. A small stroke of lightning leaps from the ground and engulfs the man. The electricity loops around the man, singing him

OOC: RS Merc - Reflex Save (DC 15): 1D20+4-2 = [10]+4-2 = 12 (failed!); Electric Loop damage: 2D6 = [4, 2] = 6

"I'll leave her to you," Breva says to Tim.

He shifts back to the singed mercenary and strikes out with his greatsword. The mercenary manages to steady himself enough to block the first strike with his shield and avoid the second blow altogether.

"Mariana, help me take this bastard down," Breva encourages. "Do not let Odhran's death be in vain."

OOC: Breva - Full Attack (with Power Attack): 1D20+10 = [7]+10 = 17
1D20+5 = [5]+5 = 10
2D6+15 = [5, 1]+15 = 21
2D6+15 = [6, 5]+15 = 26
(both attacks miss)

Hmm, something about this attack routine doesn't seem right to me. :unsure:

Doing the math for my peace of mind...
While attacking for Scotley, I used a previous roll he'd made for Breva, and I assumed it was right. Breva gets +6/+1, +4 for Strength, +1 for the magic greatsword, +1 for Weapon Focus, and +1 for bless (cast in round 1). That would be +13/+8. So, +10/+5 makes it a 3 point Power Attack.

So damage would be a base of 2d6 +6 for Strength, +3 for Power Attack, +1 for the magic greatsword. That equals 2d6+10 not 15. I wonder if I'm missing something. (Maybe he was using Smite, and I missed it, but that doesn't quite add up either [+2 to attack (*), +6 to damage].) Maybe it was a 2 point Power Attack and Scotley hadn't realized I had Breva cast bless. That would be +15 with Smite.
* Normally +4 (Charisma), but still down due to Mani's previous psionic attack when the PCs first faced the doppelganger.

If so, that means Breva's used Smite more times than he should be able to with a reduced Charisma score. That would be my bad. :rolleyes:

Now my head hurts! :LOL:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I'm sorry. Such talent, wasted."

Akos steps away and raises his hand. The gloves shine with pale blue, like the full moon after a summer rain. There is a flash and phantom leaves swirl between him and the angry man, cooling his body if not his emotions. The rime forms as the leaves coalesce on his chest, intense cold burning the flesh underneath.

"When the bark fails, there is always bite. If you were wronged and your pleas not heard, you could have your revenge without joining those harming others like yourself. You are like many others, hiding behind the personal tragedy, but only seeking power. And as many others, you will die prematurely."

Move: 5' down-left
Swift: activate gloves of eldritch admixture (1 charge, +2d6 cold damage)
Standard:
Eldritch blast; cold damage: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25; 4D6+2 = [6, 3, 2, 2]+2 = 15

HP: 36/47 - went back, Akos received 11 damage total - with two attacks fully blocked by DR and saved a total of 41 damage :D

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I'm sorry. Such talent, wasted."

Akos steps away and raises his hand. The gloves shine with pale blue, like the full moon after a summer rain. There is a flash and phantom leaves swirl between him and the angry man, cooling his body if not his emotions. The rime forms as the leaves coalesce on his chest, intense cold burning the flesh underneath.

"When the bark fails, there is always bite. If you were wronged and your pleas not heard, you could have your revenge without joining those harming others like yourself. You are like many others, hiding behind the personal tragedy, but only seeking power. And as many others, you will die prematurely."

Move: 5' down-left
Swift: activate gloves of eldritch admixture (1 charge, +2d6 cold damage)
Standard:
Eldritch blast; cold damage: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25; 4D6+2 = [6, 3, 2, 2]+2 = 15
The archer reels in pain and goes from angry to shocked. He glances at his cleric ally. "You told us he was only a mindbender," he says. "Damn you, Solomon!"

"Do not blame me for you lack of instincts," he cleric spits back. "Now, kill him, or either die by my hand or his magic!"

OOC: Next post will be a long one from the Rising Swords mercenaries, after Akos, all the way to the mercenary fighting with a dagger. I'll then wait a bit to see if @JustinCase is able to post for Mutt and Tuck before posting for him.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Or you could kill Solomon the liar, and atone for your actions. I promise I will look into the injustice done to you whatever The Five decide your fate is. Love is not something to be despoiled by injustice."

Remove ads