Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The mercenary being challenged by the halberd-wielding guards finds himself surrounded and considers his odds. He decides Mutt is the least likely to hurt him, so tries to slip by the big dog to move into a flanking position with the cleric, Solomon. He knows the animal will get in a bite and that the guard facing Solomon will have a chance to attack him, but anything is better than his current position.

He moves quickly, but severely misjudges the danger of Mutt's jaws. The big dog digs his teeth into the mans leg as he tries to slip by the animal. He tries not to hobble as he blocks Roland's clumsy swing. Once into position, he counterstrikes against the guard and the blow leaves Roland with a gaping wound in his chest. The guard grunts in pain.

"Roland, get out of there!" Herleva shouts.

"He's not going anywhere," the evil cleric boasts. He slams his club into Roland's head and the the spikes tear through the guard's helmet and flesh. Roland gaps in pain, as he tries to keep blood from ruining his vision.

"Sir, we're coming," one of the Regulars says just before the two of them move to help their fellow guard. The two attack in unison and they cut glancing blows with their halberds against the mercenary. He barely flinches from the wounds.

The pleas and actions of Breva and Tim jolt Mariana out of her rage. She moves to help the paladin and nods to him. Her longsword flashes and the dagger-wielding mercenary fails to block the attack. Her blade digs in deep and the mercenary grimaces. He has found himself surrounded with no allies to watch his back.

The female archer shakes her head, drops her sword, clutches at her ruined shoulder, and falls to her knees. "It's no good. I'd rather face the noose than die this way."

"Damn you, Narzissa!" Solomon shouts. "Do not worry about the noose, worry about the wrath of my god!"

"Gods mean nothing to me," she replies weakly. "Only gold matters, and the Rising Swords don't pay me enough to die, for you."

"Or you could kill Solomon the liar, and atone for your actions. I promise I will look into the injustice done to you whatever The Five decide your fate is. Love is not something to be despoiled by injustice."

"Narzissa..." the other archer says. The two exchange a glance and she shakes her head. He listens to Akos' speech placidly. His face becomes red with fury. "Not the noose, anything but that! My family has already suffered enough dishonor!"

The mercenary charges Tim.

"Brychan, you fool!" Solomon spits out in anger.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
NOTE: Tim has a 25 AC; even unshaken, the merc would have missed.

AoO w/ Greatsword vs. Charging Merc: 1D20+11 = [18]+11 = 29

Greatsword Damage vs. Charging Merc: 2D6+8 = [6, 5]+8 = 19

Whoops, thanks to Breva's spell, that was a potential crit:

Crit confirm vs charging merc: 1D20+11 = [7]+11 = 18

That's a crit. I will just add another 2d6+8 dam.

Extra dam for unexpected crit vs charging merc: 2D6+8 = [4, 1]+8 = 13

As the reckless Merc charges Tim, the Half-Ogre shifts his stance slightly, stabbing just under his defending weapon, a textbook impalement maneuver. The massive blade easily splits the Merc's armor and pierces the flesh, resulting in a bloody, grave wound that might just be too much for Tim's desperate foe!

OOC: Tim hits AC 29, and crits for 32 pts. damage.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

As the reckless Merc charges Tim, the Half-Ogre shifts his stance slightly, stabbing just under his defending weapon, a textbook impalement maneuver. The massive blade easily splits the Merc's armor and pierces the flesh, resulting in a bloody, grave wound that might just be too much for Tim's desperate foe!

OOC: Tim hits AC 29, and inflicts 19 pts. damage.
The mercenary manages to shift the weight of his charge to the right to keep from being impaled on Tim's sword, but the blade still split his left side wide open. His own blade is blocked by Rizvan, clatters to the cobbles. It was a good attempt but to no avail. "A good try," he says to himself as he slumps to the ground. "That's what you would have said, father. I will soon stand at your side."

Meanwhile, tries to think of an option, and quickly. He is bleeding from multiple wounds and neither of his opponents are good option for him. Then he sees his opening, as long as Tuck's dog doesn't see his actions as a threat. He moves past Mutt and then towards the loremaster. He tries not to bleed out all over the dog, as the dog grows at the priest. Once he reaches Akos' side, he says, "It's not good." He looks on the verge of collapse.

The dagger-wielding mercenary is still reeling from Mariana's powerful strike, but still has some will in him to fight. "If I'm going to die, I'm taking you with me," he challenges Mariana, as his hands shake. He stabs out with his dagger with surprising strength. But, his hands betray him and Mariana easily blocks the blade with her light shield.

"Not with that weapon," she mocks.

He curses his luck.

Mutt continues growling at the cleric, but he hears Tuck bark and whistle a command and the dog shifts his teeth back to the other mercenary. He moves and bites at the mercenary but this time the man blocks the teeth with his shield. "Bad dog!" he says.

Normally, Tuck would shout something glib back but not now, not with these bastards! He takes aim and the cleric through the maze of bodies and fires three more bolts. The cleric's shield blocks the first shot, but the other two bolts embed dep in the cleric's chest. He gasps in pain while glaring at Tuck. "You," he says. "They didn't tell me it would be you."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

Tim spins to face his new opponent, and mis-judges his swing; he brings the mighty greatsword down where his opponent was just a second before. The blow is so mighty, that the force of the blade hitting the cobblestones actually creates a shower of sparks, and sends a vibration up Tim's arm, that causes him to drop his weapon! Tim is momentarily amazed, but he does not let it stop him.

The knife-wielder is smiling at Tim's mishap when the seasoned Knight catches him by surprise. It always puzzled Tim, the way most warriors simply hid BEHIND their shields, instead of actively USING them. Tim reverses direction, and swings the shield horizontally, using its edge to deliver a devastating blow. A crunch is heard as Rizvan's hard edge connects with the merc's jaw, causing him to spit blood and teeth!

Tim grins at the knife wielder, "This ain't over yet, scrub."

OOC: Rizvan hits AC 20, and inflicts 15 pts. damage.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

Tim spins to face his new opponent, and mis-judges his swing; he brings the mighty greatsword down where his opponent was just a second before. The blow is so mighty, that the force of the blade hitting the cobblestones actually creates a shower of sparks, and sends a vibration up Tim's arm, that causes him to drop his weapon! Tim is momentarily amazed, but he does not let it stop him.

The knife-wielder is smiling at Tim's mishap when the seasoned Knight catches him by surprise. It always puzzled Tim, the way most warriors simply hid BEHIND their shields, instead of actively USING them. Tim reverses direction, and swings the shield horizontally, using its edge to deliver a devastating blow. A crunch is heard as Rizvan's hard edge connects with the merc's jaw, causing him to spit blood and teeth!

Tim grins at the knife wielder, "This ain't over yet, scrub."

OOC: Rizvan hits AC 20, and inflicts 15 pts. damage.
The mercenary seems dazed for a moment. "Damn, that hurt."

Herleva shifts over to her right to get a better vantage point for her next bow shot. Her aim fails her, however, and she nearly puts a bolt into the leg of one of her fellow Regulars.

"Sarge, be careful."

"I was being careful," she retorts. "Brandobaris is not with me today."

OOC: Herleva - Light crossbow: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13; 1D6 = [6] = 6 | Forgot to add in -4 for firing into melee, so it's actually 9 to hit. Not even close.

End of Round Six

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Meanwhile, tries to think of an option, and quickly. He is bleeding from multiple wounds and neither of his opponents are good option for him. Then he sees his opening, as long as Tuck's dog doesn't see his actions as a threat. He moves past Mutt and then towards the loremaster. He tries not to bleed out all over the dog, as the dog grows at the priest. Once he reaches Akos' side, he says, "It's not good." He looks on the verge of collapse.

"All is good. Worry not." Akos lays hands on Rolands wounds and two quick blasts of positive energy close the wounds. "Praise The Lady of Summer who gives such soothing bounty."

Healing belt; Healing blast: 2D6 = [2, 2] = 4; 2D6 = [2, 3] = 5

OOC: ignore healing belt effect, I thought for some reason it is swift action. So Healing blast invocation heals Roland for 5

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Vinccenzo steps up next to Mariana, and draws his rapier and levels it at the mercenary, "You are surrounded with no way out. If you choose to die here, I will make sure you and your family name becomes infamous in this city. Is that what you want?"

"Death is never the end in this world," the mercenary spits at the Sectarian Guard's feet.

"Very well," Vinccenzo replies. He strikes out with his blade, but the mercenary blocks it with his shield.

The strikes gives Breva an opening to slash out with his greatsword, and the paladin chooses effectiveness over damage. The first near cleaves off the man's sword arm along with the armor that is ruined. The man cries out in agony and then crumples to the ground.

"Foolish," Breva says. He shakes his head in disgust.

"All is good. Worry not." Akos lays hands on Rolands wounds and two quick blasts of positive energy close the wounds. "Praise The Lady of Summer who gives such soothing bounty."

Healing belt; Healing blast: 2D6 = [2, 2] = 4; 2D6 = [2, 3] = 5

OOC: ignore healing belt effect, I thought for some reason it is swift action. So Healing blast invocation heals Roland for 5
"Thank you, loremaster," Roland replies as he watches the surrounded mercenary fall. "I think we have them... well, let's hope there aren't others around. Plus, we'll have to try to find the one that ran away." He pauses. "I'm surprised the guards at the Gate of Scales weren't attracted by the sound of fighting. Odd."

The mercenary looks out of the corner of his eye at Solomon. He looks like he wants to run, but he knows the cleric would cut him down. "I think I will take your offer of surrender now." He carefully puts down his sword while staring cautiously at Mutt. "Good dog...," he says without much conviction. The big dog growls at him.

"Damn you to the Nine Hells, Mambru!" The cleric spits out in anger. "My god will have your soul for this treachery!"

Mambru ignores him.

The cleric, enraged, screams a curse and then turns and runs from the fight.

"So much for fighting to the death," Roland mocks. He turns to Akos. "We'll hold these others here. Capture him if you can!"

Vinccenzo motions to Breva and Tim. "Go! I will stay with Mani and these other prisoners. He must not get away!"

OOC: Cleric runs away at 3x his Speed.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: Tim, who is wearing only light armor, thin clothes, and carrying a mere light load (weapons, armor, and gear weight: 104 lbs., light load being up to 233 lbs. And he can still do x4 with a medium load, which is 466 lbs.!!) can run at x4 movement, which gives him a movement rate of 120. Catching the Cleric should be no problem whatsoever.

Tim says, "Vinccenzo, my brother, pick up my sword and watch after it for me!" as he takes off at a sprint, surprisingly fast for a creature of his immense size; Tim, who is still carrying Rizvan, has a very simple intent: catch up to the fleeing cleric, and slam the edge of the shield down onto his back, stopping him dead in his tracks.

OOC: Tim will use the Overrun special attack; since the Cleric is at a full run, he shouldn't be able to avoid the attack, nor get an attack of opportunity, unless he chooses to stop running and stand his ground... which is fine by Tim 😎

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck whistles out to Mutt and orders the dog to go after the fleeing cleric. Tuck is soon right behind the big dog. He slings his crossbow and draws his short sword as he runs. The kobold urban ranger is in his element. The man's not getting away.

Tim says, "Vinccenzo, my brother, pick up my sword and watch after it for me!" as he takes off at a sprint, surprisingly fast for a creature of his immense size; Tim, who is still carrying Rizvan, has a very simple intent: catch up to the fleeing cleric, and slam the edge of the shield down onto his back, stopping him dead in his tracks.

OOC: Tim will use the Overrun special attack; since the Cleric is at a full run, he shouldn't be able to avoid the attack, nor get an attack of opportunity, unless he chooses to stop running and stand his ground... which is fine by Tim 😎
Tim is soon running flat out at Solomon and his footfalls reverberate through the street. The locals who had been watching from behind shutters and curtains are startled by the big man's speed and soon Tim hears a cheer rise from around him. A few of the hidden onlookers risk showing their faces but they don't come out onto the street.

Tim soon overtakes Solomon and both Tuck and Mutt. The kobold nods to the big man, as to say 'I've got your back'. The kobold notes that there aren't any guards watching over the Gate of Scales. 'That is not normal!' He thinks.

Solomon hears Tim coming and turns to face the half-ogre knight. He curses his shorter strides and tries to blind Tim with a spell. The knight shrugs it off without a concern. His vision didn't dim at all. The cleric looks in horror once he realizes what Tim is doing, and he tries to shift out of the knight's way. But, there just isn't enough time to avoid the big man. Solomon has no chance to block Tim's assault and the cleric is soon spitting dirt and pebbles out of his mouth.

"Do not move," Tuck says as he moves in and puts his blade to the cleric's neck. "If you so much as look at me funny, I'll take your head off."

Mutt growls at Solomon.

Solomon curses softly and shakes his head. "It wasn't supposed to be this way." He keeps his eyes down and directs his words to Tim. "Give me your word, knight, that you won't let him kill me outright. He can't be trusted when dealing with my company. His anger will cloud his judgment."

"I have more self control than you," Tusk growls back. "Don't presume that you know me."

"While we haven't met, I did introduce myself to your mother many years ago."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Solomon said:
"...Give me your word, knight, that you won't let him kill me outright. He can't be trusted when dealing with my company. His anger will cloud his judgment."

Tim frowns at Solomon, "Don't you DARE to ask for the favor of MY WORD OF HONOR, you murderous, lecherous, SCUM. I do not negotiate with the likes of you! You'd best keep your mouth SHUT, unless you'd like me to shut it for you."

Tim holds the top edge of Rizvan within an inch of Solomon's lips.

Tim continues,"I follow the LAW. And the law says that you will be arrested, given a trial, and subjected to the court's judgement, which could possibly include the gallows. Were I you, I would think on that, above all other considerations. I hear that most people soil themselves when the rope snaps their neck. And you're so FULL OF IT, I'd be willing to bet that the stench would be GREAT INDEED."

Tim assists in disarming, binding, and gagging the cleric. When the gag goes on, Tim's eyes gleam.

Tim smiles at the gagged cleric,"Ah, the beautiful sound of silence."

Remove ads