Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim will move up behind Akos, weapon and shield drawn, but both hanging downward, casually, a result of Tim's relaxed posture, loose shoulders, and becoming smile. He says, nothing, but as Lowenan notices him, he nods in polite acknowledgement. Tim wants his opponents to see that he is totally at ease, and quite confident. He also hopes that news of his exploits has reached Lowenan's ears; the more wary Lowenan is of Tim, the more protected Akos shall be, simply by the implication that one as formidable as Tim has taken on the task of ensuring Akos' safety.

Tim will take note of the two guards, and of the DMK, trying to see if he recognizes anything about them, whether it be physical descriptions (of the two missing guards) or heraldry (of the DMK.)

OOC:
Do the two "former-elites" match the description of the two guards who recently went missing?

Is the DMK wearing any sort of heraldry that Tim might recognize?

I know that the position that I have indicated on the map for Tim looks a bit off, but I am assuming that since we're not in combat, Tim would be able to stand close enough to Akos to see the contents of the room, without interfering with Vinny.

4D852E70-7E5E-4151-B5BA-4DDA43DB956C.jpeg

Scotley

Hero
Breva breaths out and quietly sheaths his sword and begins a prayer to call the blessing of the purifier on his companions. All the while he listens for clues as to what is happening beyond the doorway. His eagerness to see wars with his desire to be ready for whatever they face. He forces himself to resist the urge to peek and works quietly to get ready.

OOC: Bless fills your allies with courage. Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects. Bless counters and dispels bane. Duration 3 min.
Taking his cue from the Loremaster's words he will forgo a listen check and just plan on getting his bow ready. I intended that comment from the OOC thread. Sorry.

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Vincenzo is standing half in the hall, half out and while watching Akos headed toward the throne he whispers to Tim, "Something wicked this way comes. Ambush, maybe?" using his sword, he points to the metal doors where he hears a commotion.

"Akos! get back out of there! Now! This is all a trap!!"

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos bows slightly.
"You will forgive us if we are cautious. Not the best track record from both of our sides. I promise I will not try to influence anyone here with anything but the truth. I reserve the right to correct that boy's wrong assumption since it is based on a lie of your master. Sorry, mentor."

He walks inside slowly, looking at everything, trying to fit it in his history lessons, and once the man mentions the boy was already here, he tries to recognize any heraldry on him. Walking slowly, non-threateningly, he nods with a deeper bow to the youth guarding the woman and continues toward the table.
"Oh, I completely understand your caution, and I cannot promise that there won't be violence if you don't seriously consider my mentor's offer," Lowenan replies. The man is not put off by Akos use of the word 'master', or if he is, he doesn't show it. "What will be, will be. I know not to underestimate you and I expect you will do the same."

Neurotic said:
"I believe my companions will remain on the other side of the room, except for an actual elite guard. Sergeant Custodio Vecchi, please." he motions for the Elite to join him.
Custodio raises an eyebrow and looks at the others. He had not expected to be summoned. He sighs and moves into the room with his weapon ready but held low, as not to be threatening. Then he sees the outsider in the magic circle and his training makes him raise his blade.

The Deaf Knight instinctively moves to draw his blade, but Lowenan holds up his hand. The knight pauses. Then, the ex-Elite commander makes several hand gestures towards the young knight, which the man seems to understand. He nods and takes his hands away from his blade.

"I would advise you not to make any more sudden moves like that, Mr. Vecchi. He is like a cat ready to strike," Lowenan says. "Although it pleases me to see that your training is as good as my men. I had wondered if your divided loyalties would have made you complacent."

"I assure you, my training is beyond that of a normal guard. I am a Vanquisher of the Purifier and will not explain my loyalties to you,"
Custodio says. He looks at the man and shakes his head. "I know you, don't I? You once taught master classes at the Elite Training Ground. When I heard you speak your name, I had assumed you were an imposter using it, but it is you. How can you align with the Renegade? He is vile and has brought terror to the people of this city!"

Lowenan's face betrays an inner anger. "Do not refer my mentor by that stupid attempt to belittle his powers," he says through gritted teeth. He grasps the hilt of his sheathed rapier and slowly pulls it half way out of the scabbard to show Akos and Custodio the blade. "Phelix had this commissioned for me, personally, after learning of Akos and his heritage. I will use it if you insult him again!"

Akos can see that the blade is made of cold iron.

Lowenan sheaths the blade again and then looks at Custodio. "Control your temper, d'Elite, lest I be forced to cut out the Loremaster's tongue."

Neurotic said:
"But as you know, we're not a military company, I don't give them orders. Most of them are higher social status than I am except obviously I'm a priest so we're kind of equals."

"The rest I'm sure you know, Sir Breva Sciarra, a purifier, Sir Tymbeck Valencia, a knight from another world, signor Vinccenzo d'Lucio recently joined our group. And some of the elite and regulars assigned to watch over us and spy on us. Ignorable."

Akos pours himself some wine but doesn't drink yet.

OOC: No one specified where to sit and this is not 'influencing' as such :D
I don't have a way to communicate with the deaf/mute - sign language isn't something commonly known, especially a historical one.
Tuck listens to Akos and the one calling himself Lowenan talking, and is grateful the Loremaster does not mention him. Not daring to order Mutt after Akos to guard him, the kobold instead inches closer and closer to the door, hoping to remain undetected.
"Yes, I have been briefed on your strengths and weaknesses," Lowenan replies. "And, I'm sure your kobold friend is sneaking around out there somewhere." He smiles. "I'm not surprised that Oakfirst continues to have Mr. Vecchi watch your back. It is prudent to keep an eye on powerful adventurers even when they are working for The Five and the Regulars." His smile becomes a wide grin. "I doubt you will have to worry about the young arcanus with you reporting on you to Riftwatch. She is an unimportant cog in that wheel."

Castellana had been standing next to Mutt and trying to keep him calm by petting him and scratching the big dog's ear. When she hears the ex-commander refer to her, she turns to look at the others standing by the doorway. She is shocked that his is aware of her presence with them. "How could he know about me already?" she whispers to Breva.

Lowenan looks at Akos slyly. "I watched your fight against the golem from here," he motions to the portal. He gestures to the Deaf Knight again and the man moves towards the portal and lays his hands on the altar. He makes a motion with his hands over the altar but nothing happens. He seems puzzled for a moment. He tries again and this time the portal shifts to face towards Akos and Custodio. An image of the room with the gargoyle golem comes into view for a few moments, then the portals shifts back to a swirling mass of darkness.

The Deaf Knight coughs and seems dazed for a few seconds.

"You see," the man laughs. "I already know you numbers and your tactics. The fight was quite useful. You may keep the magical collar, of course. It is the spoils of war, after all." He pauses then glares menacingly at Akos. "And I assure you we at war, Loremaster. However, Phelix would like to broker a peace between us and you all. Well, I doubt Mr. Vecchi will agree to anything offered, but we'll worry about that later."

Neurotic said:
Once there he ignores the chairs and calmly sits on the throne.
Lowenan raises an eyebrow as Akos moves towards the chair. There is a moment where he looks like he's going to say something, but then Vinny shouts out his warning.

Vinny sees what looks like an eye as part of the throne, "Akos! Wait! Stop! Thats a creature, not a throne!"
"Well done, Mr. d'Lucio! I see Sectarian training has improved since my last visit to the Wizard District. You are a credit to your teachers," Lowenan motions for Akos to step back. "Your ally is quite right, Loremaster. While it would love for you to sit on it, I would prefer you not too. The creature can be quite ferocious when angered. It will not attack unless I order it to do so, or you get to close."

Akos watches as the creature's eyes open and a wide mouth with razor sharp teeth forms on the back of the throne. The creature shifts and the arms of the chair become appendages. A long tongue licks at the air and it rattles back and forth on its four legs.

"Do not eat anyone," Lowenan says. "We will feed you later."

The creature's mouth begins to pout.

Tim will move up behind Akos, weapon and shield drawn, but both hanging downward, casually, a result of Tim's relaxed posture, loose shoulders, and becoming smile. He says, nothing, but as Lowenan notices him, he nods in polite acknowledgement. Tim wants his opponents to see that he is totally at ease, and quite confident. He also hopes that news of his exploits has reached Lowenan's ears; the more wary Lowenan is of Tim, the more protected Akos shall be, simply by the implication that one as formidable as Tim has taken on the task of ensuring Akos' safety.

Tim will take note of the two guards, and of the DMK, trying to see if he recognizes anything about them, whether it be physical descriptions (of the two missing guards) or heraldry (of the DMK.)
Lowenan keeps his focus on the Loremaster and Custodio.

Tellerian Hawke said:
OOC:
Do the two "former-elites" match the description of the two guards who recently went missing?

Is the DMK wearing any sort of heraldry that Tim might recognize?
OOC:
No, and no. and neither do the two that come out of the secret room (keep reading).

Breva breaths out and quietly sheaths his sword and begins a prayer to call the blessing of the purifier on his companions. All the while he listens for clues as to what is happening beyond the doorway. His eagerness to see wars with his desire to be ready for whatever they face. He forces himself to resist the urge to peek and works quietly to get ready.
The young paladin can tell that this Lowenan is not to be taken lightly.

Vincenzo is standing half in the hall, half out and while watching Akos headed toward the throne he whispers to Tim, "Something wicked this way comes. Ambush, maybe?" he points to the metal doors where he hears a commotion.

"Akos! get back out of there! Now! This is all a trap!!"
"Calm down, Mr. d'Lucio!" Lowenan demands as he stands and draws his blades. "I see your other instincts are as good as your knowledge of magic, but it seems your teachers did not teach you diplomacy! They will have to be schooled, it seems!"

The Deaf Knight draws his weapon and looks at Vinny with a look that dares the Sectarian Guard to attack. Lowenan holds up his hand again and the man stands at attention, but he does not sheath his bastard sword.

"But, you are quite right," he says. "I do have other eyes watching you." He motions to the ex-guard standing near him. "Signal the others to stand down and join us."

The man nods and pulls a whistle out from under his tunic. He blows into the whistle three times to make three shrill blasts. Mutt whines.

Vinny expects the iron door to open, but, instead, a section of the wall near Big Tim slides down into the floor to reveal a reinforced wooden door. It opens inward and Tim can see two more ex-guards standing in a small room with a wooden floor. He can see two beds against the far wall with two wooden chests next to them, as well as large table with two small stools that don't look very comfortable.

Standing in the doorway is a tall statuesque woman still wearing the colors of a Bluffside Elite. She is wearing a fine breastplate and wielding a short sword of good quality. A composite longbow is strapped to her back and a full quiver of arrows is at her hip. Standing behind her is a man wearing the trappings of a Tower Wizard. He already has his hands up ready to cast if Tim makes a deadly move.

"Excuse us, please, you are in the way, Sir Tim," the woman says politely. "I will not attack you unless you force me too."

"Arnona, this is a bad idea," the young male wizard says.

"Oh be quiet," the woman snaps. "Sir Tim is gentlemen. I'm sure he will not behave rudely during a negotiation. Now calm yourself and put your hands down."

Tim can tell the woman has the bearing of noble.

The portal flickers to life once again and the rotund face of a gnomish man with a very big nose and large round spectacles appears in the portal. His image is distorted as if he is standing too close to opening on the other side. "Commander Wearne, can you hear me?"

"Yes Musummaar, it took you long enough," Lowenan replies.

"Sorry, the master is quite agitated about the workings of the ancient portal," the gnome scribe says. "He can get it to focus on Sigil and many other planar locations, but he can't get it to stay focused on the Far Realm. We did manage to bring another test subject through. Quite interesting."

"Musummaar, please do not give away all of Phelix's great achievements. I was hoping to surprise them with the good news."

"Sorry, but it is just so fascinating..." He smiles and then looks at Akos. "I see they finally found there way to you. That's good. I am Musummaar Nabbneg Zevallbest Pevas, but you may simply call me Musummaar or Mr. Pevas. Master Phelix has asked me to open up negotiations with you with an initial offering of 10,000 gold." The gnome pauses and looks down at something. Akos can hear papers rustling. "Sorry, 10,000 gold each, as long as you stop interfering with his plans and agree to leave Bluffside and never return." He looks up. "He would offer you employment, but he doesn't believe you would be interested. If by some chance you are interested, he would be willing to offer you many incentives. His resources are vast, now."

He holds up one piece of paper to the portal but it is unreadable. "He's offering a special incentive to Sir Tim, in particular. With the master's portal, he offers to send the knight back to his world. He's managed to focus it on Vrocia several times already, although he hasn't sent any Loyalists through, yet. He realizes that Sir Tim would consider than an invasion of his homeland."

He steps back from the portal and calls out for someone to 'refocus'. Tim watches as the capital city of Vrocia, Ilfrey, come into view in the portal. He recognizes it immediately.

Then, the image is gone and the gnome's face appears again. He has a big grin on his face. "I must admit that your world is fascinating, Sir Tim. It's so massive and most of it is sweltering, yet life thrives there. Very large life too. I'm surprised there are any smaller species at all on such a massive earth body. Very interesting, but no pseudonaturals, so Master Phelix isn't willing to expend too many resources to explore it. Plus, the portal's connection will have to be strengthened to ensure travel, without significant risk."

He looks through the portal and adjusts his glasses. He finally is able to focus on Tim. "Ah, there you are. What say you, Sir Tim. Would you like to go home?"

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Noblewoman said:
"...Excuse us, please, you are in the way, Sir Tim," the woman says politely. "I will not attack you unless you force me too."

Tim smiles, "Of course. I will make no hostile moves until dictated by necessity of force."

Tim politely steps aside, but keeps a close eye upon them, especially the nervous-looking wizard.

Gnomish Man said:
He looks through the portal and adjusts his glasses. He finally is able to focus on Tim. "Ah, there you are. What say you, Sir Tim. Would you like to go home?"

Tim smiles, "Your master must have a very low opinion of me, and a blatant disregard for the powers that be. I was brought here by divine provenance, and for a purpose that I have yet to discover. I shall not leave here before that purpose has been fulfilled. I serve Syvatagor's will wherever I go. Home is where honor dictates that it is. Therefore, I must politely decline your offer."

Tim winks knowingly at Lowenan. Just to poke the bear a tiny bit, while still within the confines of decorum.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim smiles, "Of course. I will make no hostile moves until dictated by necessity of force."

Tim politely steps aside, but keeps a close eye upon them, especially the nervous-looking wizard.
The two ex-guards carefully move past Tim and Vinny and into the portal room. They leave the door to the room open. Arnona moves to stand close to the man who signaled them. She does not sheath her blade but stands in a relaxed posed. While the young tower wizard stands across from her near to the other ex-guard. He is less nervous being away from Tim, but he keeps one hand near his spell component pouch and the other near his sheathed dagger.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Tim smiles, "Your master must have a very low opinion of me, and a blatant disregard for the powers that be. I was brought here by divine provenance, and for a purpose that I have yet to discover. I shall not leave here before that purpose has been fulfilled. I serve Syvatagor's will wherever I go. Home is where honor dictates that it is. Therefore, I must politely decline your offer."

Tim winks knowingly at Lowenan. Just to poke the bear a tiny bit, while still within the confines of decorum.
"I would hardly call what Mirella did to you divine provenance, but gods tend to think only of themselves and sometime those that feed them power," the gnome says. "And Master Phelix has watched you carefully and thinks very highly of your skills. It is you and the Loremaster, in particular, that he'd like to be able to employ. My job was to present the opportunity to you to see what your reaction would be. I'm sure he'll be quite interested with the results."

The gnome shuffles more paper and then looks though the portal again. "Hmm, I see the Sectarian is standing next to you. But I don't see the others. The golem didn't kill them, did it?"

"Certainly not," Lowenan says with a laugh. "They managed to defeat it and even claimed its magical collar. I didn't watch them bypass the trap, but I'm Mr. Tuck found a way. I think he and others are a bit shy or are preparing themselves for a fight."

"Oh dear," Musummaar says. "I hope you can avoid bloodshed. There has been enough of that already and it is costing the master a lot of coin to keep hiring new soldiers and buying off the local undertakers."

"Again, Musummaar, you say too much," Lowenan chastises the gnome.

"Master Phelix knows that they've probably guessed that he has allies in the city," the gnome scribe says. "Of course, not all all of them have been reliable. Others have dared to defy him." He squints through the portal. "Hmm, no, I don't see him, but the one named Falen knows what I mean. You and your allies are quite slippery, half-hob. We were sure we'd trapped you in Tânger, but you gave my master the slip with the help of those pirates." He scribbles a note. "Yes, that ship and its captain will have to be taken into consideration. We can't have pirates interfering with the master's plans. Hopefully the Dusk will be up to the challenge."

Castellana turns to look at Falen with a raised eyebrow. She mouths the words... what is he talking about?

"So, that is true," Custodio remarks. "Your master conspires with them, as well as the Rising Swords."

"Conspires, hmm, I don't like that word," he rubs his chin thoughtfully. "Can we simply say they are paid well for their services?"

Custodio fumes but nods.

"He really is an angry fellow," the gnome adds.

"It is not surprising considering what those damn mercs did to him and his friends when they raided the guard post looking for Yukgnath's body, as well as the cleric and wizard Phelix hired to watch over his house with his kin, Vigfus." Lowenan looks at Custodio and bows. "I am deeply sorry they behaved in that way. They were not supposed to slaughter anyone needlessly. My mentor is more than willing to pay restitution to you and their families for the pain the Rising Swords caused that day. I can assure you, Phelix was not happy and demanded a refund of the fee he paid for their services. The leaders of that company did pay back what was owed, eventually. It took a bit of iron-fisted diplomacy to convince them."

"While I appreciate the gesture, I do not accept your apology. I'm sure you understand why."

"I do."

"Well, that could be considered a bit of progress," the gnome says happily. "I'd hate to have to send the creature through to make Master Phelix's point. It is quite dangerous and hard to control." He orders an unseen person to 'refocus' again and the image of the portal shifts to frightening fire creature that looks like it stepped out of a bard's tale meant to scare little children. "It is some sort of fire demon from the Far Realm. It is simply gorgeous don't you think?"

Pseudoelemental_fire.png

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Ah, that's how it will be. You actually start from position of treachery and think everyone just wants money? After this attack on my person, I withdraw my limitation on influencing anyone.

Sir Valencia already refused. I have no doubts paladins will too, although I will not speak for them. Maybe I would entertain the idea, but this is my adopted city now, you did nothing but attack, terrorize, cheat and lie. Wven if I accept, you would simply send someone afrer me or at least use the opportunity if I return.

I am a scholar and instead of offering me knowledge you offer me money? The renegade is as pathetic negotiator as he is a mentor. He is at least good as a master since good dogs obey force."
Akos is livid even if he controls his voice and behaviour as a trained orator should, he is out for blood now. He moves back toward his companions and keeps the rhythm of the speech.

Motioning toward the trapped creature to get the attention of the guard, he motions toward the elite traitor and very clearly and slowly mimes the word TRAITORS
"You use this poor creature somehow. Sentients should never be reduced to a gear drive. Can we speed up this talks to the logical conclusion where you betray your word, your obviously noble and sensible companion and everything you once stood for for a short ego-power trip before you end up in hell?"

He bows shortly to the lady as he speaks of her, but keeps moving.
"Now we talk with someone with deeper understanding of the goal and not with a lapdog with illusions of grandeur."

Ooc:
ready action Sanctuary spell or anklet teleport (need to check spells prepared)
Akos is very aware that cold iron fey bane weapon could end him in a single strike he wants to make some distance from the wearer, but at the same time he wants to provoke rush action that may upstage whatever careful plan they have.
If Lowenan responds with violence, great, if not, he adds "Good dog, sit now" and turns to the lady

EDIT: missed the last response, hopefully you can work this into the narrative. And I'm rolling planar and dungeoneering to see if Akos knows something about the cresture. In addition, if he can cobble together the sentence "we are allies of the ancients" using their terms/language he will say that toward the DMK
Dungeoneering; Planar lore: 1D20+8 = [11]+8 = 19
1D20+11 = [3]+11 = 14
still useless 😑
Also, ancient language on the list for next level assuming we survive

Last edited:

Remove ads