Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Knightfall said:
"I did prepare to help with that issue..." Custodio notes as he and Tuck appear in the angular corridor. "If it takes longer, but, again, it will only last for a few minutes."
"Sure, why don't you cast yours first, as soon as we cross."
"I should probably cast it as soon as the doors are opened," Custodio replies. "The last time we were here, the time shift spilledo ut of those doors and affected the entire area around the gatehouse."

The Vanquisher cleric gathers together all of the Exemplars. The wooden screen is moved into the storage room and the supplies are set against the wall, except for the small chest, which Tim easily lifts with one arm.

"Get ready," Custodio says.

Knightfall said:
Custodio steps back from the door after he closes and locks it. "We're not here to go exploring into those two other doors. We need to help the knight. Make sure he's still alive and give him the ring that will keep him from starving to death."
"Perhaps we can investigate another day when the world's fate isn't at stake" states Vincenzo, matter-of-factly.

He then mumbles something about this not being fun like the circus rather wistfully.
Custodio nods to the Sectarian. He looks at Tim and Tuck. "I'll let one of you open the doors."

Tim turns to the whispering doors, although he doesn't hear anything, and concentrates on the glowing text that seems to be inscribed on the doors, yet, somehow, also seems to float just in front of them. The words appear to Tim in Torassian and he speaks them aloud.

"V izvilistyye koridory Aphogorin khochu khrabro probrat'sya, Iskat' nechto bol'sheye, chem rannyuyu mogilu."

The two Elites are surprised by Tim's words, since the glowing script appeared to them in Cliffspeak. Tuck listens to Tim's words in Torassian. To the kobold's own eyes, the words appear to be Draconic.

Just before Tim opens the double doors into the labyrinth, Custodio recites his prayer to the Purifier. The divine magic spills forth into the small room and Custodio targets Rockhorn, Tim, Tuck, Vincenzo, and Vitus. Then, just as Tim reaches to opens the doors, the Vanquisher cleric summons forth his protective ward upon himself.

Tim opens the doors and the effect is immediate. Time shifts around the Exemplars. Custodio hardly notices the effect of all. It wasn't for the visual clues, he would have thought that nothing happened at all.

OOC: Custodio's Avoid Planar Effects spell can only target 5 characters, since he is a 5th-level cleric and last for 5 minutes. Since Tim and Tuck are leading the way, he targets them first. He also decided to protect Rockhorn and Vitus since they haven't experienced the time effect before. He picks Vinny as his last target.

@Neurotic, @Aust Thale, and @MetaVoid: Akos, Falen, and Spritewing remain unprotected at this point. They, and Custodio, must make a DC 20 Fortitude saving throw or become sickened. If any character rolls a 1, they are also dazed for 1 round.

Custodio uses his domain power, Protective Ward, on himself. It gives him a +5 resistance bonus to his saving throw.
Custodio - DC 20 Foritude save: 1D20+15 = [20]+15 = 35 (success)

The two Elites in the catacomb-basement must also save as well. (The sleeping guard automatically fails.) And, if the doors remain open for more than 1d4 rounds, the guards up in the gatehouse must save as well.
Alban - DC 20 Fortitude save: 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16 (failed)
# of Rounds: 1D4 = [4] = 4

Google translation from Russian: "I want to bravely make my way into the winding corridors of Aphogorin, Look for something more than an early grave."

In Cliffspeak, the words read: “Into Aphogorin's twisted corridors I want to brave, To seek more than an early grave.”

TaranTheWanderer said:
Seeing everyone checking their equipment, double-checking their bags and beginning to cast spells on their comrades, Vitus started with a powerful Divinations spell: Invisibility Purge. Everything within 40 feet of the teenager would suddenly 'pop' into view.

While the others were casting spells, Vitus did a quick run around the vicinity to double-check that there were no hidden traps or enemies ready to ambush them here before they left or when they got back.

Seeing everyone finishing up, he cast Protection from Fire on Tymbeck and, finally, a protection spell on himself at the last possible moment as he watched the first of the Exemplars step through the door.
Vitus is glad for Custodio's protective magic. He sees time begin to shift around himself. The effect is quite powerful. Without it, he probably would be retching. He is able to make his doublecheck to look for any foes that might have been invisible or and hidden traps. He doesn't find anything.

He does find Alban rushing away through the doors leading into the barracks. The young man looks green to the gills, as he rushes towards the door leading into the privy. As Vitus searches for hidden foes, he can hear the Elite puking his guts out in the privy. The young sleeping guard moans in her sleep.

Tim picks up as many of the supplies as he can, while still being able to use his shield, and heads through the double doors. Tuck follows closely behind the Tall Knight. One by one, the Exemplars make there way into the labyrinth.

Akos considers what they found last time they were here. No traps, one golem. While the opponents had some time, he didn't think it was enough to set elaborate labyrinth of dangers for the unwary.
He decides, after some vacillation, that those that went in first are protected enough for the moment.

"I would save my protection spell for the time we know we need it. Vitus and I can wait back when the doors open. And Spritewing of course. That said, if you think I should cast, say so, we don't want to waste more time in discussion. Simple 'cast it' will suffice."

He gets ready, taking out his dagger in one hand and the wand in another.
The time dilation hits Akos with its full force. The effect seems to warp the air in the entryway and beyond. It feels as if someone is trying to knock the Loremaster over. The effect feels so much stronger than the last time. Of course, the doors had been left open for them by the traitorous guards who had been bought off by Phelix.

Everyone began to look wavy and Akos notes that the temporal effect seems to crawl through the doors and up the walls after the doors are opened.

"We need to get everyone inside and get those doors closed," Custodio says. "Vitus, how is Alban?"

He also looks up towards the, now, widened, trapdoor and calls out to the Elites stationed above. "I don't know if you can hear me, but the doors are open! Prepare yourselves!"

The Vanquisher cleric heads into the labyrinth holding a small barrel filled with fresh water.

Race: Human
HP: 52/52
AC:
20; FF:17 T:14
Spot:+5
Listen:+5
Search+2

[]Cure Minor; [] Detect Magic; []Detect Poison; [] Amanuensis []Create Water ; [] Mending
Fort:+8
Will: +11
Refl: +5
Initiative: +3
Range:+8/+4
Melee: +7/+2 (+1)
1st [6+1](DC16) [ ]Bless; [ ] Entropic Shield[ ]Comprehend Languages; [ ]Endure Elements [ ] Divine Favor; []Lesser Vigor
2nd[4+1](DC17) [X]Avoid Planar effects; [ X] Benediction; [X] Status [X] Lesser Restoration
3rd[4+1](DC18) [ ] Stone Shape [X ]; Invisibility Purge; [X ] [X]Speak with Dead
4th: [3+1](DC19) [ ] Attune Form(extended) [] Sustain; [] Mass, Lesser Vigor (extended)
STR:13+1
DEX: 16+ 3
CON: 14 + 2
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 20 +5
CHA:15 +2
XP: 28,000/36000
LevelStudiedUsedSpell...................................................................................................................
1Longstrider
XXSanctuary
2XLocate Object
Shield Other
3xXProtection from Energy
Fly
4Spell Immunity
XDim Door

Realizing that people might get hurt, Vitus protects everyone he can see with his spell.

Casting Avoid Planar Effects on everyone Vitus can see that isn't already protected

Active Spells:
Benediction (@MetaVoid Rockthorn): 58minutes and 6 rounds
Protection From Fire (@Tellerian Hawke Big Tim): 7 Minutes+7rounds -protects from 96 points of fire damage
Invisibility Purge 7 minutes and 8
Sanctuary: 7 rounds
Avoid Planar Effects 80 rounds

To Do:
OOC and OOC
-Speak to Oppia Nazaria

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim waits until everyone is inside, and then closes the doors. He then resumes his place on point, leading The Exemplars warily into the unknown.

The DM rolls spot checks, correct? Tim's spot check is 1d20+1, plus any modifiers you deem fit. He is trying to be extremely cautious.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"We should protect the others by closing the doors, do you agree, Custodio?" Vinny takes in all that he can see of the effects and is concerned for those upstairs.
"Yes, let's get through and close them behind us," Custodio replies to the Sectarian.

Realizing that people might get hurt, Vitus protects everyone he can see with his spell.
Once young Vitus has added to the group's protections, everyone who is going inside the labyrinth heads through the open double doors. The supplies for the trapped young knight are quickly brought forward by everyone.

"That's everything," Tuck says.

Custodio hopes the guards in the cellars will be okay. But, he can't worry too much about them.

Tim waits until everyone is inside, and then closes the doors. He then resumes his place on point, leading The Exemplars warily into the unknown.

The DM rolls spot checks, correct? Tim's spot check is 1d20+1, plus any modifiers you deem fit. He is trying to be extremely cautious.
Tim easily pushes the doors closed and he is glad to note that the doors have handles on this side, as well. The glowing text that was on the other side of the door appears on the inside of the double doors once they are closed. But, the text is changed, slightly.

“Into my twisted corridors you have braved,
Now, hope, dear travelers, for more than your grave.

If the danger sots you, then flee back here,
To exit the Labyrinth of Lost Souls in fear.”

Along with the words on the door, there is the sound of laughing, as if heard from a long distance on an eerie wind. It only lasts for a few moments and then there is silence.

While Tim moves forward towards the next room, Custodio looks ominously at the warning on the door. He puts his hands on the handles and tries to open the doors. The handles don't budge. "I hope all we have to do is speak this new phrase in order to get out."

The Vanquisher cleric says the words on the door, quietly, and tries the handle again. It moves this time, and Custodio opens the door just a crack before closing it again. The laughing starts again and then fades.

"Well, that's new," Tuck says. "No wonder Wearne and his lackeys left the doors open for us last time."

Tim finds himself just inside the first room beyond the doors. He remembers this room. The destroyed gargoyle golem lies on the floor next to the eastern wall where it fell during the Exemplars first foray into this place. The normal gargoyle statue still stands against the west wall. The outer edge of the room's floor is made of the same dark stone from the entryway, but the middle section of the room is a dark metal. However, the floor north of the central section is a lighter metal. It glints in the light that someone remembered to bring with you into the labyrinth.

Not that it really matters, for light spills out through one of the doors leading into the portal room ahead of you. The light from that room is a mix of bluish glow and flickering yellowish hues. Those doors stand 75 to 80 feet from Tim. He can see the light clearly from his position. He pulls the chest down next to him on his left. Tuck stands next to him on his right and Rockhorn stands to his left. The others stand behind him. There is just enough room for everyone.

Tuck points to the chalk outline he made of the trapdoor that he, Vinny and Falen disabled previously. "There... the pit trap. It is probably still disabled." He points to the northwest corner of the room. "The mechanism is over there."

Tim remembers... but it is what he hears that makes him want to rush forward and jump over the outlined area. He can hear blades clashing from somewhere up ahead. A voice cries out in pain and another curses in anger.

OOC: @Tellerian Hawke, I've been having you guys roll your own Spot and Listen check for the game, but I can roll them for you, if it will help speed things up.

(Does anyone have a light source ready? I assume so in the post.)

Race: Human
HP: 52/52
AC:
20; FF:17 T:14
Spot:+5
Listen:+5
Search+2

[]Cure Minor; [] Detect Magic; []Detect Poison; [] Amanuensis []Create Water ; [] Mending
Fort:+8
Will: +11
Refl: +5
Initiative: +3
Range:+8/+4
Melee: +7/+2 (+1)
1st [6+1](DC16) [ ]Bless; [ ] Entropic Shield[ ]Comprehend Languages; [ ]Endure Elements [ ] Divine Favor; []Lesser Vigor
2nd[4+1](DC17) [X]Avoid Planar effects; [ X] Benediction; [X] Status [X] Lesser Restoration
3rd[4+1](DC18) [ ] Stone Shape [X ]; Invisibility Purge; [X ] [X]Speak with Dead
4th: [3+1](DC19) [ ] Attune Form(extended) [] Sustain; [] Mass, Lesser Vigor (extended)
STR:13+1
DEX: 16+ 3
CON: 14 + 2
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 20 +5
CHA:15 +2
XP: 28,000/36000
LevelStudiedUsedSpell...................................................................................................................
1Longstrider
XXSanctuary
2XLocate Object
Shield Other
3xXProtection from Energy
Fly
4Spell Immunity
XDim Door

Vitus hears fighting in the corridor,

He hisses an urgent whisper only his new comrades would hear,

"I hear fighting! We're not too late!"

Spot/Listen:
Initiative: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Wrong roll inputed in Coyote (I thought you were asking for Initiative)
Initiative: Listen or Spot: 1D20+3 = [17]+5 = 22

@Knightfall While I didn't mention I had a light out, Vitas made a continual Flame item that can be clipped to his shield or his belt. If the party had informed him that the place would be dark, he'd have taken it out when he readied his shield., before they entered.

Active Spells:
Benediction (@MetaVoid Rockthorn): 58minutes and 6 rounds
Protection From Fire (@Tellerian Hawke Big Tim): 7 Minutes+7rounds -protects from 96 points of fire damage
Invisibility Purge 7 minutes and 8
Sanctuary: 7 rounds
Avoid Planar Effects 80 rounds

To Do:
OOC and OOC
-Speak to Oppia Nazaria

Rockhorn reacts to the sounds of battle by swinging over to Spritewing. He attempts to mount him in the same movement, but between rotation, heavy armor and limited space where wings are not free to move, the coordinated pair fails to do the trick.

He mounts normally and waits for his faster companion to move.

Initiative Rockhorn; Spritewing: 1d20+1 = [13]+1 = 14; 1d20+2 = [9]+2 = 11[url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid?286451]Fast mount ride check: 1d20+18-5 = [4]+18-5 = 17

OOC: Attempt to mount as free action, fail. Use standard to mount. Wait for Spritewings initiative. Move, trying to see what is going on.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Vincenzo is the first to move forward and he avoids the possible trap as he moves, He draws Lil' Vinny and is soon beyond the range of the light being shed by the item clipped to Vitus' shield. He manages to make his way along the wall of the corridor using the wall and the eerie light spilling out of the door ahead of him to guide him.

Tim rushes forward with his shield and sword at the ready and attempts to jump over the pit. He misjudges his footing and the height of the ceiling as he jumps. He bumps his head against the ceiling and comes down right on the pit trap, but it doesn't activate. Luck is with him. It is still disabled. He rushes forward to the open door and squeezes through the doorway.

The Tall Knight finds himself standing over a dead man who looks like he was some sort of wizard. He is dressed in the grab of a Loyalist. Five feet away from Tim is another dead Loyalist, a thug. However, it is the young knight and another thug that draws Tim's focus. The two seem to be locked in a death embrace. The knight's blade is deep in the man's gut and a vicious dagger is embedded in the deaf-mute knight's shoulder.

The knight pushes the man away and wrenches out his sword. The thug groans and steps away. The knight knocks the man's short sword out of the thug's other hand and it clatters to the floor.

"I- I still g- got you," the thug gasps before falling to the floor. The thug's dagger is still deep in the knight's shoulder. "Master Phelix wins..."

The young warrior makes a raspy gurgling sound as if he's trying to yell out in pain. He grabs the dagger, pulls it out, throws it to the floor. He can no longer hold on to his own blade and drops it as he stumbles next to a table and chair. He tries to sit in the chair but falls on his butt on the floor instead. He looks terrible.

Out in the corridor, Custodio moves to the edge of the light shining from Vitus' shield. He stops and cast a quick light orision on his own shield to help add to the light.

Rockhorn reacts to the sounds of battle by swinging over to Spritewing. He attempts to mount him in the same movement, but between rotation, heavy armor and limited space where wings are not free to move, the coordinated pair fails to do the trick.

He mounts normally and waits for his faster companion to move.
Tuck takes off like bolt fired from his hand crossbow, which he unslings from his back. He is soon standing just behind Tim next to the open door leading into the portal room. He can see the dead Loyalist on the floor under Tim's feat. The man is balding and is dressed in clothes similar to the enchantress the Exemplars faced on Candle Street.

Tuck doesn't need the light from inside the room or behind him to see that there is a dead man, a orc or half orc, lying on the floor of the corridor 25 ft. north of him. He can't tell if the orcish man is a Loyalist, but Tuck sure smell the dead orc.

Vitus hears fighting in the corridor,

He hisses an urgent whisper only his new comrades would hear,

"I hear fighting! We're not too late!"

Spot/Listen:
Initiative: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Wrong roll inputed in Coyote (I thought you were asking for Initiative)
Initiative: Listen or Spot: 1D20+3 = [17]+5 = 22
Vitus clearly hears blades clashing from somewhere up ahead. His light only extends 20 feet in front of him with another 20 feet of shadowy light. But, when Custodio casts his own light spell, the long corridor brightens. He spots Vincenzo for a moment, but the Sectarian is soon just an outline in a mishmash of different illuminations. It makes the entire corridor very eerie.

The young cleric of Tyche doesn't hear the Loyalist's boast from within the portal room. Nor can he see the dead orc lying on the floor beyond Tuck. Tuck, himself, appears to just be a shadowy figure bathed in flickering bluish-yellow light. as he moves forward, his own light illuminates Akos in front of him. Vincenzo is soon visible once again just beyond the edge of Vitus' bright light.

Akos is oblivious as usual, but after it is pointed out he can see it. He rushes forward, intent on healing the knight if needed even before he knows what is happening.
The Loremaster moves quickly up the corridor but he doesn't run. He is soon beyond both Vitus and Custodio's magical light, but his darkvision lets him see the others ahead of him in the corridor, as well as the dead orc lying in the corridor beyond the double doors. The dead orc stinks badly... even from 60 feet away.

Spritewing clops down the corridor just past Akos. The smell from the dead orc hits the dungeonbred pegusus's nostrils. rockhorn's as well. Seeing and smelling the dead orc brings back memories... mainly bad memories.

OOC: @MetaVoid, I wasn't sure how far you wanted Spritewing to move, so I went with 60 feet on the map (to be posted on the OOC thread).

Falen moves forward past Custodio and Vitus. He is soon standing next to Akos. He notes the smell but doesn't see the dead orc with both Rockhorn and Vincenzo blocking his line of sight. "What is that horrible smell?"

TaranTheWanderer said:
OOC:
@Knightfall While I didn't mention I had a light out, Vitas made a continual Flame item that can be clipped to his shield or his belt. If the party had informed him that the place would be dark, he'd have taken it out when he readied his shield., before they entered.
OOC: Okay, thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

Remove ads