Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Caerth, Aureus, check the statue and the brazier. We don't want more surprises from our back. I'll go help the others."
Maur rushes out of the room leaving his companions with the corpse. Rushing through by Phar, he dings his shield into already damaged doorway helping him change direction into the corridor without so much as slowing down. The loose stones fall in a pattering rain behind him as armored juggernaut comes down toward the cultists.

"Moooraaadiiinn!"

Free: speech
Double move into the corridor toward the cultists (RUN action)

OOC: giving NPCs something to do and doing too much zealotry :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Caerth, Aureus, check the statue and the brazier. We don't want more surprises from our back. I'll go help the others."
Caerth scowls at Maur's 'orders'. I have no desire to sideline myself, he thinks. He rushes from the room before Maur can object. He steps out of the room, notes the centaur with a raised eyebrow, and moves through Timmins to prepare for any onslaught that may appear. Even with Wieland standing ten feet in front of him with the torch, he can clearly see the three foes arrayed against Brutus and Quinn down the corridor.

Quinn holds his position and whips his spiked chain at the cultist in front of him twice. The ex-gladiator's skill at close-quarters fighting is on display for those that can see. the spiked chain tears into the cultist's legs and then his shoulder. The man cries in pain and looks hesitant as whether to stand and fight or flee.

"You will not win," Quinn boasts. "I have faced dozens in the arena at once. Even two dozen of yours will not be enough to stand against me, let alone us. Surrender and you might be spared the noose for your crimes."

Wieland watches the man fight with respect. He holds the torch up high with one hand while making sure he has a firm grip on his sickle with the other. He hears them only seconds before they come into view out of the side corridor. "Damn it! More of them! Quinn, watch out! They're trying to flank us!"

The guard warning comes a moment too late. One of the cultists manages to round the corner and put himself right behind Quinn. Two others are soon standing in front of the side corridor blocking anyone from heading in that direction. Wieland drops the torch of the floor next to him and works to unsling his shield from his back.

"Brutus, put that one down! Quickly!" Quinn yells.

Brutus lashes out with his punching dagger at the wounded cultist in front of him and the man crumples to the floor. The blade pierced his gut. "Ha! Got him!"

"Great lad! Don't get cocky!"

In the brazier room, Aureus watches Caerth rush out of the room despite Maur's suggestion. She decides the dwarf might have a point. She begins to search the statue, brazier, and the rest of the room. The last thing the group needs is for something to animate and attack them from behind. She quickly determines that neither of them appears to be animated objects and soon she's hunting for secret passages.

Both Timmins and Meridith take aim at the cultist that moves to flank Quinn. The old warriors shots find only the floor and the wall next to the cultist. The first shot was closer to hitting Wieland. Meridith's shot is right on target and soon there is an arrow embedded in the man's arse.

He yelps in shock. Meridith can't help but laugh.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Free action = drop bow in current square.
Move action = retrieve lance and shield.
Move action = move into position marked "A" below.
Thus, Angus's action this round is essentially to make a double move.
21B15464-E99B-4C8D-99E4-467BAA85FCD2.jpeg

Phar said:
Phar nocks an arrow and lets fly at the prelate with a well placed shot. Then he speaks loudly enough to carry over the battle in the language of Centaurs,"Well met Clansman, I am Phar and I know of your people. You are far from home as well. Help us win this battle and we will talk."

Angus drops his bow, and once again picks up the lance and shield. He begins to casually make his way down the hallway, saying "Pardon," and "Excuse me, lass (lad)," as he goes.

As he is moving, Angus exclaims, in Dhaoninian, "Aaargh! I ken I shunna waent fer the bow. Too maeny people aen ma way. Get ready, ma baerd-brained fraends, A'am comin' tae make ye answer fer ye crimes!"

Moving further, Angus changes his tone, as he switches languages to reply to Phar.

Angus replies, in Centaur, which sounds different from what he had been speaking, "Well met, indeed. I am Angus Alexander MacKillan, adopted son of the chief of Clan MacKillan. I am sent from Aeron; I am his longtime, trusted ally and friend. I come to be of service to his apprentice, Caerth. I must say, the foes abound down here, but there's hardly any room to move! But no matter, it will all work out the same... Oh, look, more playmates!"

Angus eyes the approaching cultists in the side passage with ire in his eyes.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus drops his bow, and once again picks up the lance and shield. He begins to casually make his way down the hallway, saying "Pardon," and "Excuse me, lass (lad)," as he goes.

As he is moving, Angus exclaims, in Dhaoninian, "Aaargh! I ken I shunna waent fer the bow. Too maeny people aen ma way. Get ready, ma baerd-brained fraends, A'am comin' tae make ye answer fer ye crimes!"

Moving further, Angus changes his tone, as he switches languages to reply to Phar.

Angus replies, in Centaur, which sounds different from what he had been speaking, "Well met, indeed. I am Angus Alexander MacKillan, adopted son of the chief of Clan MacKillan. I am sent from Aeron; I am his longtime, trusted ally and friend. I come to be of service to his apprentice, Caerth. I must say, the foes abound down here, but there's hardly any room to move! But no matter, it will all work out the same... Oh, look, more playmates!"

Angus eyes the approaching cultists in the side passage with ire in his eyes.
The two cultists are shocked to see the centaur. One is completely slack-jawed while the other tries to slam his mace against Angus's side. The four-legged ranger easily blocks the feeble attack.

A moment later, Angus watches two flashes of fire streak out and scorch the two cultists. Both yelp in pain and surprise. The magic rays came from behind the centaur. He can see that the elf who introduced himself as Phar has moved out into the corridor. He has a satisfied look on his face.

OOC: Attack rolls for Phar are posted on the OOC thread.

Maur rushes out of the room leaving his companions with the corpse. Rushing through by Phar, he dings his shield into already damaged doorway helping him change direction into the corridor without so much as slowing down. The loose stones fall in a pattering rain behind him as armored juggernaut comes down toward the cultists.

"Moooraaadiiinn!"
As Maur moves out into the corridor, he notes that Phar is already ahead of him. The paragon elf moved incredibly quick. Maur can tell the elf has just finished casting a spell.

More surprising is the large centaur standing in the corridor ahead of him just in front of Wieland. He isn't sure what to make of the four-legged newcomer. He did hear a strange voice just before he moved out into the corridor but he hadn't expected a centaur from the Northlands!

Angus watches as another cultist steps forward and attacks the half-ogre in front of him. (Angus is a bit surprised at Brutus's size.) The mace strike comes close but the warrior avoids the blow. The cultist in front of the warrior with the spiked-chain carefully casts a healing spell on himself. Angus watches as the magic closes several of the man's wounds.

END OF ROUND SEVEN

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Round Seven Begins!
Caerth moves aside for the large centaur, not wanting to get stepped on. He wonders why a Northlands centaurs has come to aid them. Then he hears the centaur say Aeron's name. The half-orc druid does remember Aeron telling him about the four-legged people and that he once traveled in the northern lands. Still, the group should be cautious. Caerth can feel Kang pushing against his mind.

Soon, Maur is standing next to him. The dwarf seems perplexed by the centaur's presence too. He also notes that Phar is now standing in front of him. The elf can move quickly and quietly when he chooses to do so.

He turns his attention back to the cultists. Too far for his spear. While he is loath to let go of it, he knows he'll have better luck with his bow. He pulls out his bow and fires a single shot at the cultist facing Brutus. There is just enough space for the shot and the arrow finds its mark. The shaft sinks deep into the cultist's shoulder. Nearly a perfect hit!

Caerth grins wickedly.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Sent to me through Facebook.
ScottDeWar_jr said:
"Cease and desist your debauchery, confess your crimes and accept proper judgement!" Quinn proclaims in a firm voice.

He and the scimitar move in spiritual agreement as he aims to sever the weapon (or right) hand of his present opponent.
Quinn has to let his spiked chain drop to the floor of the corridor, but with a fluid motion he unsheathes Cruel Justice and attacks with purpose. He invokes the blade's unique ability and aims for the cultist's mace-wielding hand. The intelligent scimitar's power shines with its light and the cultist loses his hand and mace onto the floor.

He screams in pain and drops his shield, as he clutches at the stump of his right hand. There is almost no blood. The magic of the blade has cauterized the wound.

"You bastard!" He yells at Quinn.

"You reap what you sow!" The voice of Cruel Justice resounds in the corridor. magical light flashes out from the blade, increasing the visual range for Quinn and Brutus.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wieland finds himself behind the centaur but he still has a shot at the cultist at the corner of the corridor. It will have to be a perfect strike with his sickle, as the wall could block his attack. He slashes out with the crescent blade. The blade doesn't hit the wall but the cultist leans away from the strike.

"Kill the centaur!" The cultist standing behind Quinn says to his allies. "Quickly!" He tries to bring his heavy mace down on Quinn's back, but the big ex-gladiator shifts away at the last second. "I'm going to have my hands full with this one!"

The cultist Wieland attacked tries to cast a spell with Angus as his target. But, he is distracted by Wieland's attempt to slice his head off and the spell fizzles. "Damn!"

The other cultist looks at the centaur and decides this is a foe he's going to need fear. He steps back 5 feet and casts a spell on himself. Angus watches as a magical shield of energy appears around the cultist almost like a second skin.

"That's not what I meant!"

"Wait a second," Brutus says to himself. His hand goes to the heavy mace that Aureus gave him to help smash the altar. It's still on his belt. He unties it and shifts his stance so he can exchange it and his punching dagger. He bashes down with the heavy mace with his strong hand. his blow gets past the cultist's shield but it is only a glancing blow.

Both Timmins and Meridith continue to fire arrows into the melee, carefully. Both miss their targets, although Timmins comes close to hitting the cultist menacing Brutus.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
CFC71182-D620-4ECE-8BA8-C735ECA51CB3.png

Angus rears up, towering above the cultists menacingly, with contempt in his eyes.

POSSIBLE CRIT:
Lance Attack: 1D20+9 = [20]+9 = 29

MAYBE A CRIT?
Confirmation roll for crit: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15

Damage:
Rolling 6d6, counting every two as damage dice, to make this go more quickly: 6D6 = [3, 5, 3, 5, 1, 2] = 19

Ok, so Angus does 2d6+5 with a normal hit, and 6d6+15 with a critical hit. The die rolls came out to: (3,5) (3,5) (1,2).

First Set: 3+5+5 = 13 pts.
Second Set: (Crit Only): 3+5+5 = 13 pts.
Third Set: (Crit Only): 1+2+5 = 8 pts.

So if 15 crits, then the cultist takes 34 pts. damage.
(If it doesn't the cultist takes 13 pts. damage.)

SHIELD: MAYBE A HIT?
Shield Bash Attack Roll: 1D20+10 = [6]+10 = 16

If that hits, here's the damage:
Shield Bash Damage For Angus: 1D8+6 = [7]+6 = 13

So if the shield hits, total damage cultist takes is: Either 26 pts. (No crit) or 47 pts. (With Crit.)

Angus scowls at the cultist, saying, in Dhaoninian: "Praypaer ta maet yer maeker, ye little twit!"

As he says this, his drives his lance down hard into the cultist, following immediately with a brutal bash from his heavy, mithral shield.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus rears up, towering above the cultists menacingly, with contempt in his eyes.

Angus scowls at the cultist, saying, in Dhaoninian: "Praypaer ta maet yer maeker, ye little twit!"

As he says this, his drives his lance down hard into the cultist, following immediately with a brutal bash from his heavy, mithral shield.
The cultist tries in vain to block the centaur's lance strike but Angus's knocks the man's shield away before it slices deep into the man's side. The fragmented shield helped keep the blow from piecing the man's skull, however. He manages to raise it again to block Angus's shield bash.

Phar steps forward and follows up Angus's lance and shield attacks with another volley of scorching rays. He aims for the same two cultists. The first cultist isn't able to protect himself after blocking Angus's shield bash and the ray pierces the man's chest. He goes down in blood and flames.

The second ray scorches the other cultist through the spellcaster's Shield of Faith. He reels in pain and there is a look of doubt in his eyes. "Too strong," he mumbles to himself.

OOC: The lance strike is not a critical and the shield bash is a miss.

Phar - Scorching Ray (x2): 1D20+8 = [11]+8 = 19
1D20+8 = [10]+8 = 18
4D6 = [4, 1, 5, 4] = 14
4D6 = [2, 1, 5, 6] = 14
(hits!)

Angus can hear the cultist's mumbled words on a successful Listen check (DC 15). The roll is made with a -10 due to battle noise.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus, Brutus, and Quinn all see more foes come around the corner from the end of the southern corridor. While they are dressed in the same garb as the other cultists, each one carries a crossbow. The first cultist considers firing at Brutus, but he instead aims for Angus. Another comes up right behind him to his right and fires his crossbow at Quinn. The third takes aim at Brutus. The three cultists move and fire in unison.

The first shot goes wild into the ceiling as the man has his foot slip slightly as he tries to ready himself to shoot. The second cultist's shot scores a glancing strike on Quinn's sword arm. The third cultist catches the young half-ogre unaware. The shot hits him squarely in the chest. He groans in pain as he stares at the shaft sticking out on the right side o his chest.

OOC: Cultists with Light Crossbows: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7; 1D8 = [4] = 4
1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24; 1D8 = [2] = 2
1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25; 1D8 = [6] = 6
(miss, miss, and hit!)

Cultists with Light Crossbows (Confirm Criticals): 1D20+5-4 = [15]+5-4 = 16
1D8 = [7] = 7
1D20+5-4 = [3]+5-4 = 4
1D8 = [6] = 6

I forgot to add the -4 for firing into melee so the 7 is a 3, the 24 is a 20, and the 25 is a 21. Both of the attacks against Quinn and Brutus are critical threats. But neither is confirmed. Quinn takes 2 points of damage and Brutus takes 6 points of damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads