• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Up on the stony shelf, Eutharic finally manages to wriggle free of Caerth's entangle spell. The tiny quasit pulls himself out of the affected area and is soon spitting pieces of vines out of his mouth. "Blech, I don't like greens. Yucky."

He turns to look at his master for a second and then out over the battlefield. He doesn't see the ghast lord or the dwarf or the big warrior who was wielding Cruel Justice. Could they have defeated Tarrak. Eutharic would pray for that if it thought for a second any good god might hear the quasit's words. He sits down at the edge of the entanglement and watches his master. "Please be okay."

No one sees the quasit free itself or hears its words.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth takes a step towards the edge where Tarrak and Maur just went down, and the half-orc starts casting another spell. Muttering a few words in Sylvan, the druid traces a circle in the grovely floor before dropping a bit of guano in the middle.

A fine mist starts forming over the crevasse, which slowly starts taking the shape of a lot of busily flying bats...

Screech hoots and takes off from Caerth's shoulder, circling over the fissure to see what's going on below.
The swarm of bat's finally takes shape and Caerth directs them down towards Tarrak. The ghast lord looks up and laughs manically as the bats near. Then, they screech in dismay and veer off towards another section of the cave. The presence of the undead creature causes them to panic in fear. They wing away and refuse to go near Tarrak no matter how many times Caerth tries to order them to attack.

OOC:
Unnatural Aura (Su) Any creature of the animal type within 30 feet of Tarrak automatically becomes panicked and remains so until the distance between it and Tarrak is at least 30 feet.

@JustinCase, it's your turn again. ;)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses as he sees the swarm of bats veer purposefully away from Tarrak. He'll have to do it himself, then.

Once more the druid mutters a few words in Sylvan, and taking a tiny bit of the guano left, spits in it and tosses it into the air. The half-orc seems to transform once more into a dire bat, but unlike the previous times, only the bat wings form and attach themselves to the druid's shoulders, who is otherwise the same as before.

With a quick beating of the leathery wings, Caerth starts flying towards the shadowy region below, spear at the ready and eager to join the fight against Tarrak at last.

OOC: Casting the Master Air spell (target: self). It gives me a fly speed of 60 (because of the medium armor), maneuverability good, ascent at half and descend at double speed. 9 rounds.

I can't control the swarm, unfortunately, so I cannot direct it towards another enemy. But:
If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can.
I guess that is the rook, right?

Stats:
Non-wildshaped stats:

(includes Recitation)

Ghoul Fever (Su): Disease—bite, Fortitude DC 12, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d3 Con and 1d3 Dex.

AC 21
HP 48/58
Fort 12, Ref 9, Will 12
Speed 20 (medium armor)
Base attack: +6/+1
Melee attack: +15/+10 spear +1 (twohanded, damage 1d8+8, crit x3)
Melee attack: +15/+10 Kang (magical dagger, damage 1d4+6, crit 19-20/x2, thrown 10ft)
Ranged attack: +14 composite longbow +1 (+4 str bonus) (damage 1d8+6, crit x3)
Note: Extra 2d6 damage on charge attacks (wild rhino hide); power attack means up to BAB penalty to attack and same amount bonus on damage

Level 0 (6): create water, create water, detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1 (5): cure light wounds, entangle, magic fang, obscuring mist, speak with animals
Level 2 (5): flaming sphere, lesser restoration, mass snake’s swiftness, master air, summon swarm
Level 3 (4): giant’s wrath, snare, remove disease, spirit jaws
Level 4 (2): spike stones, ice storm
Level 5 (1): baleful polymorph

Wild Shapes 1/3
HP: 31/32
AC 24
Fort 8, Ref 12, Will 7
Speed: 10 feet, fly 40 feet (average)
Base attack: +5
Melee attack: +13/+11 talons (multiattack, 1d4, distracting attack)
Special attacks: Flyby Attack, multiattack
Special qualities: low-light vision, link, share spells, evasion, devotion, multiattack
Skills: Listen +15, Move silently +20, Spot +8 (in shadows +16) (not sure if these numbers are correct... haven't adjusted for level-up)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Toughness (racial sub level 1), Flyby Attack, Distracting Attack
Tricks known (max 10): Attack (all creatures, counts as 2 tricks), Come, Down, Fetch, Seek, Stay, Work, Defend, Heel
Bat Swarm
Size/Type: Diminutive Animal (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/—
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, wounding
Special Qualities: Blindsense 20 ft., immune to weapon damage, low-light vision, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11
Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Temperate deserts
Organization: Solitary, flight (2-4 swarms), or colony (11-20 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —
A bat swarm is nocturnal, and is never found aboveground in daylight.

Combat
A bat swarm seeks to surround and attack any warm-blooded prey it encounters. The swarm deals 1d6 points of damage to any creature whose space it occupies at the end of its move.

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 11 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Wounding (Ex)
Any living creature damaged by a bat swarm continues to bleed, losing 1 hit point per round thereafter. Multiple wounds do not result in cumulative bleeding loss. The bleeding can be stopped by a DC 10 Heal check or the application of a cure spell or some other healing magic.

Blindsense (Ex)
A bat swarm notices and locates creatures within 20 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the bat swarm (but swarm attacks ignore concealment).

Skills
A bat swarm has a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsense is negated.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth curses as he sees the swarm of bats veer purposefully away from Tarrak. He'll have to do it himself, then.

Once more the druid mutters a few words in Sylvan, and taking a tiny bit of the guano left, spits in it and tosses it into the air. The half-orc seems to transform once more into a dire bat, but unlike the previous times, only the bat wings form and attach themselves to the druid's shoulders, who is otherwise the same as before.

With a quick beating of the leathery wings, Caerth starts flying towards the shadowy region below, spear at the ready and eager to join the fight against Tarrak at last.

OOC: Casting the Master Air spell (target: self). It gives me a fly speed of 60 (because of the medium armor), maneuverability good, ascent at half and descend at double speed. 9 rounds.
As Caerth descends into the damning darkness surrounding the ghast lord, he is buffeted by the unholy energy of Tarrak's spell. The energy doesn't hurt the half-orc druid as much as it would Maur, but with the protection of shield of law, Caerth is still hurt by the evil darkness.

Screech stays high above the crevasse away from the ghast lord and the damning darkness below.

OOC: Damage to Caerth from Damning Darkness spell: 1D8 = [3] = 3

JustinCase said:
OOC: I can't control the swarm, unfortunately, so I cannot direct it towards another enemy. But:
I guess that is the rook, right?
OOC: I'll say yes, the swarm can attack the rook as they flee from Tarrak, and they don't get close enough to Tarrak to take damage from the damning darkness. They likely wouldn't be able to attack the rook until next round, as I don't think the swarm would have enough movement this round.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aureus stands ready for the rook to show itself. It doesn't take long for the winged creature to rise up out of the darkness. It seems to flying awkwardly and is heading away from the fight deeper into the cave.

"I don't think so," Aureus says as she aims her bow towards the rook. She fires two quick shots at the fleeing creature. The first shaft penetrates deep into the rook's back and the second pierces the creature's neck. It falls from the sky down into the crevasse below.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Looking back for the round in which I cast divine favor and the transformation...aaand divine favor expires. Fist of gods expires, but I renew it this round, recitation lasts 2 more rounds (cast in R13, lasts 7 rounds)
I believe recitation ended in round 20

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Alas, I have exhausted my flying and falling magic, but maybe I can come up with something...
Phar considers his options for a few moments as he looks down into the crevasse. Caerth, Maur, and Quinn have surrounded the ghast lord. He watches as Quinn strikes out with his spiked chain but the weapon fails to hit Tarrak.

OOC: @Scotley, just a quick reminder that you're up!

Scotley

Hero
He asks the little elemental to try and get down there. Then Phar shouts a warning. "If you all fall back 10' I can change the nature of this battle. If you don't, you may be blinded. " He then waits in hopes his allies will comply.

OOC: Hold action cast Glitter Dust.

Remove ads