• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LANAI] The Rod of Seven Parts: Into the Crucible

Rhun

First Post
Rowan moves toward the stairs, his club in hand, and peers upward. "I realize that running off into the unknown is probably not the, well, the best idea, but I have a feeling that the front entrance may no longer be a, er, well, an effective means to escape."

Move to E17

hafrogman

Adventurer
Rhys blanches slightly as the bell rings out in the darkness. His prayers bring light to the room, but little comfort. The Kuo-toans will be coming in force. His voice is a whisper as he considers theirs options. But his ears still ring from the alarm.

"The bells. . . the bells, but no sanctuary. We cannot stay here, they will come for us."

He moves away from the portcullis, searching for a path.

[sblock=ooc]Rhys will move towards the unexplored staircase. . . trying to get a look at where it goes.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Rowan continues on, moving up the stairs. "I believe that initiating a, ah, strategic withdrawal would be a, well, a capital idea."

Brain

First Post
Arden agrees quietly, but indicates that she wants to look at the door first. "How about you guys search this room quick and the downed enemies, while I look at this door at the top of the stairs?"

Arden proceeds up the stairs carefully and quietly. First order of business is to try to listen past the door (if there is a crack or keyhole) and also look (same). Then she checks it for traps and then if it is locked (if not trapped).

(Listen +6, Spot +4, Search +7, Disable Device +9, Open Lock +10 if I get that far)

G

Guest 11456

Phud : Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 / Barbarian 1

Phud moves around the brazier and swings at the last of the sleeping kuo-toans. Bird flies over to Phud's shoulder now that the current threat is over.

The stairs are 15 feet in length. Rowan, followed by Arden, heads up the stairs. Before Arden has time to get to the top, Rowan's already put a quiet ear to the door and is trying to listen.

Phud shambles around the brazier and gives the sleeping KT1 a solid thwack on the neck with his newly acquired scimitar for 13 points of damage. A gruesome smile splits the creature's green-skinned neck and after a moment or two of gurgling, the kuo-toa sleeps no more.

Close on Rowan's heels, Arden cuts the corner leading to the stairs and hurries up to the landing. Straight off, Arden recognizes a security door. Crafted of solid stone, the portal is of obvious good quality with a stout brass lock attached to a bit of dull silver-hued chain that will undoubtedly require picking.
[sblock=Rowan, Arden]It was a double move for both of you to get to the top of the stairs. If nothing drastic happens at the hands of kuo-toas this round, I will have Rowan listen and Arden start working on the lock next round if you like. If you don't like, then by all means please go ahead and supply something else.[/sblock]

Wyleck finishes his spellcraft. As he does, a wolf nearly identical to the first forms of vapors by the portcullis and immediately begins snarling at the first available target, the kuo-toan with two of Arden's crossbow bolts sticking from its gut that fell by the gate. The wolf stops growling to sniff a moment, the snaps its head to the side. Spying living quarry across the room, the wolf turns and flashes across the room, snapping at KT6 with a vengeance. The wolf grasps ahold of the large kuo-toan soldier by the hamstring and with a furious tug, rips free a steak of quivering flesh good for 13 points of damage. A hiss of pain streaks from the injured kuo-toan around the corner.

Rhys, standing nigh in the middle of the kuo-toa guardian chamber, gets hit by a crossbow bolt in the upper left arm as KT5 pokes its head out from the corner at the end of the greased passageway long enough to fire a shot. The bolt lands with a hot thud in Rhy's arm and deals 2 points of damage. Wounded, Rhys moves out from view of the open doorway and heads toward the stairs. Something made of both wood and metal drops to the floor as KT6 attempts to deal with the ferocious wolf. The wolf snaps at something unseen, misses, and then growls again, clearly engaged in battle with KT6.
[sblock=Rhys]I moved Rhys to F17. He had movement enough left to go further up the stairs, but it's already crowded up top with Rowan and Arden standing there. If you'd rather Rhys went one square further, to G17, let me know and I'll amend the map.[/sblock]

Initiative:
Rowan 20
Phud 20
Arden 15
Wyleck 7
KT5, KT6 6
Rhys 3

Attachments

• Temple2_8.JPG
    Temple2_8.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 67

Rhun

First Post

CanadienneBacon said:
a hot thud in

What exactly does a "hot thud" feel like? :D

Rowan presses his head against the door, hoping to get some kind of clue as to what lies beyond.

Listen +5

pallandrome

First Post
Wyleck loads a sling stone and waits for one of the villainous creatures to show themselves.

"My wolf will not hold them for long. If anyone has a bright idea, now is the time..."

G

Guest 11456

Phud : Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 / Barbarian 1

Phud searches KT1.

OOC: Search -2

Remove ads