• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Large and in Charge...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Is movement for the round ended if a PC misses their oppoesed strength check?

When you make a successful attack of opportunity against an opponent who is moving inside your threatened area, you can force the opponent back to the square he was in before he provoked the attack. After you hit with your attack of opportunity, make an opposed Strength check against your opponent. You gain a +4 bonus for each size category larger than your opponent you are, and an +1 bonus for every 5 points of damage you dealt with your attack of opportunity. If you win the opposed check, your opponent is pushed back 5 feet into the squeare he just left.

It doesn't say that movement for the round is finished, but lessens the feat if it doesn't (IMO). Since the monster can't use an AoO a second time against them, the PC can then get out of the monsters threat range.

Zarthon

Explorer
I'd say movement for the round is ended, "Large and in Charge" is a really nice feat for large creatures, what the pc would have to do is just take 5ft moves to get close to the creature with this feat.

Pax

Banned
Banned
hong said:
Since the feat description doesn't say that movement is ended, I'd say that movement isn't ended.

Of course, since the entire movementis one MEA, and since an AoO resolves AFTER the triggering action is undertaken (thoughpotentially BEFORe it resolves, esp. in the case of spellcasting) ...

... the person has no more movement to apply, without spending additional actions on movement (i.e. forgoing a standard attack for a second MEA).

hong

WotC's bitch
Pax said:

Of course, since the entire movementis one MEA, and since an AoO resolves AFTER the triggering action is undertaken (thoughpotentially BEFORe it resolves, esp. in the case of spellcasting) ...

... the person has no more movement to apply, without spending additional actions on movement (i.e. forgoing a standard attack for a second MEA).

Cart before the horse. _If_ the AoO stops all movement, then the target has no more movement to apply. The feat says nothing about requiring additional actions to spend on movement, it only says the target is pushed back one square. In particular, it says nothing about whether the current move is terminated.

Pax

Banned
Banned
hong said:
Cart before the horse. _If_ the AoO stops all movement, then the target has no more movement to apply. The feat says nothing about requiring additional actions to spend on movement, it only says the target is pushed back one square. In particular, it says nothing about whether the current move is terminated.

Then explain to me what the POINT of this feat is, if it doesn't terminate further movement?

Either movement (for that specific action, at least) ends as a result of the AoO, or, the feat is completely useless and doesn't accomplish it's (blatantly obvious) end.

hong

WotC's bitch
Pax said:

Then explain to me what the POINT of this feat is, if it doesn't terminate further movement?

It gives you an extra attack on someone who tries to approach you. If you're size L, you can often kill most size M or smaller creatures with one hit. Even if you can't (eg they're adventurers), the extra damage is often a substantial portion of their hit points, so they go down that much faster.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It gives you an extra attack on someone who tries to approach you.

What?

Your contention is that movement is not ended. So if someone with a 30' speed is 20 feet away from you, they spend 10' of movement reaching your threatened area, 5' moving closer, at which point you take your AoO and force them back five feet, and then they simply continue moving forward another 5' to reach you and make their attack, for a total of 25' moved.

If you didn't have Large and in Charge, they'd move forward 10' to reach your threatened area, then another 5', at which point you'd make your AoO, then they'd hit you - a total of 20' moved.

How does LaiC give you an extra attack, by your interpretation?

-Hyp.

Remove ads