Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Final Chapter)

Fenris

Adventurer
Dartis speaks up "Speaker Varrel, I can only give you my word, as a Dorinthian noble, that if the elves become scattered, they shall always have sancuary, peace and freedom in any lands I control. But I can also tell you that I will do all in my power to see that it does not come to pass. The Dorinthian people will stand beside our elven friends so long as I or my decendants live. I freed the Lord of the Mountain to help both of our people live free of the orcs. My dear friend paid a horrible price extracted by the fey to put the beast back to sleep. I shall always strive to ensure the peace and security of both of our peoples. The Tallione are decimated by this disease, they shall not bother these lands for many elven generations. But you must do what is right, you must live up to your Avariel ancestors, just as we must live down our Locusi ancestors. If we can rise above that, isn't there hope for both of our peoples?" he pleads.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
As Varrel listens to Dartis words he begins to visibly shake as the nobleman's words of faith shatter what remains of his own. "I am no longer sure what to believe, humans. But I do know that when the Avariel had a similar crisis one of their number declared 'Let there be the Metamorphisis!' And now I will use the power of the crystal and the remnants of my own spirit. To save my people... let there be... the Sundering!" Tears appear in the Council Voice's eyes as the crystal glows increasingly brighter, starts to hum, and then show cracks along its surface. You close your eyes and throw your hands up as the intensity of the light and humming peaks at an intense crescendo. In your blindness and deafness you feel yourself rocked by an explosion and small shards make small abrasions against your exposed flesh, though do little damage to all present except Silas who has a shard bury itself into his right hand and embed past the skin and into his bone (-2 hps to Silas. The entrance wound seals itself from the heat of the shard, and as your vision returns, you see shards covering the floor sputter with glowing light briefly before fading away completely.

The Magi elves of the Council rise as if awakened from a dream. Celeste confronts Dartis, who explains everything that happened after she was knocked out. She in turn informs her fellow Magi of what occured and she also finds out that the crystal was using their strength to further the Voice's attempts at magical defense. Dartis explains that they will need to hurry in order to stop the fighting. "I agree. We will tell our forces to stand down if you can convince your allies to do the same. We will agree to hand over the cure, but if they are going to agree to a peace you will have to convince them that without the crystal we no longer have the capability to wage magical genocide."

It's not an easy endeavor, but the Shield of Kings makes it possible. The leaders amongst the Dorinthians and the Imperials agree to a cease fire because of their trust in Dartis and Silas and their reluctance to lose a significant portion of the humanity's remnants. The dwarves and gnomes do not agree, but are forced to acquiesce as they lack the forces to push ahead on their own.

The elves allow for the allied leaders to see the destroyed crystal along with the recorded cure. As the army sits outside for a night the simple herbs are gathered up and tested on the sickest of men. By the morning the men are on the road of recovery, and the armies satisfied after prodding by Dartis and Silas. Also, it helps that the elves seem somewhat different then before. It's hard to pinpoint, but their appearances and mannerisms seem to be slightly more cosmopolitan, with elves that look and behave alike grouping together. It's a strange and unnerving sight and makes the soldiers realize that they are on alien turf and that they want to return home. The final agreement is that the elves will send a delegation with supplies of the cure to Tallione and New Dorinth in order to undo their damage that much faster. Also, a small force of gnomes have agreed to be neutral observers to the peace. They have a vested interest in doing so as it seems their leader, Phly, has disappeared and this will enable them to continue to search for him.

Dartis and Silas confront Commander Sassarius about relinquishing control of old Dorinthian territory, a demand that he laughs aloud at. "You want us to discuss terms on who controls the land between New Dorinth and Tallione? No human nation does, my friend! No human nation can! Our numbers are ruined and depleted and now we must look to our cities as if they are once more simply city-states in a sea of chaos. Go home, Dartis and help heal your people and I will do the same. If my people flourish we will reclaim our old lands, then maybe old Dorinthia. If your people flourish, do the same. But for right now it's a no man's land and the gods help us what might occur there without our attention and control. I will do you one favor, however. I will declare the wars with Dorinthia over. The area the people inhabit is different now, the faith in their gods diminished, and the culture changed. I think I will call your people Kalnians from here on." With a smirk he walks off, leaving both Dartis and Silas alone in the night.

Before the two can talk with one another they hear a dark voice from beneath the shadow of a nearby set of fallen, decaying trees. Dartis recognizes the voice... Banbosel watches the pair of heroes while in the form of a muscular, red-skinned gnoll with fiery eyes. "He is right. You may have won this little battle and admittedly given myself and my master a set back, but you have not won the war. Your land is demolished and the age of humanity has finally been set to its twilight. Those that share allegiance to me will claim the territory as their own in a few human generations. We will have our own empire in between your weakened civilizations, and then I will lead the races to the final conquest. You will have been long dead, and your descendants slaughtered after a time of false hope. Leave the cure behind, Dartis and Silas. Let humanity go quietly to extinction and save your people the future horror. If I did not think the end was inevitable I would not take the side I am on... I have been around a long, long time and know that in the end the chaos will consume all of us."

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Maybe so," blurts Silas, "but I've fought too long now to just lay down and die. I imagine I'll fight 'til my dying breath." He rubs absent-mindedly at the wound and the piece of crystal imbedded in his right hand.

Fenris

Adventurer
Before the two can talk with one another they hear a dark voice from beneath the shadow of a nearby set of fallen, decaying trees. Dartis recognizes the voice... Banbosel watches the pair of heroes while in the form of a muscular, red-skinned gnoll with fiery eyes. "He is right. You may have won this little battle and admittedly given myself and my master a set back, but you have not won the war. Your land is demolished and the age of humanity has finally been set to its twilight. Those that share allegiance to me will claim the territory as their own in a few human generations. We will have our own empire in between your weakened civilizations, and then I will lead the races to the final conquest. You will have been long dead, and your descendants slaughtered after a time of false hope. Leave the cure behind, Dartis and Silas. Let humanity go quietly to extinction and save your people the future horror. If I did not think the end was inevitable I would not take the side I am on... I have been around a long, long time and know that in the end the chaos will consume all of us."

Dartis starts at the voice initially, but then as he speaks, Dartis smiles and then laughs out loud at Banbosel. Silas is cheered as he has not seen Dartis laugh in a long time. And Dartis is sure that no one has laughed at the Destroyer for a much longer time.
"False hope? False Hope? Nay my fiendish friend. Crawl back to your master and report your failure. Humanity may stand diminished, but we are not broken. As Silas has said, we shall fight. We shall not go gently, but will stand against your master at every turn. The chaos will consume us all some day Destroyer, hopefully you first, but it is not this day, nor will it be any day that the Sons of Dorin stand upon the field. Because we do have hope, true hope. The Rider. The Rider, Banbosel is the hope of Humanity and so long as a single drop of the blood of Baron Dorin flows in a man, then the Rider will come, and he will bring hope and he will cast aside your minions as he has done every time before." Dartis' voice changes somehow, it is an eerie change to Silas, it sounds distant and hollow, yet charged with power and authority, Silas chalks it up to the Sheild of Kings. But in this new resonant voice Dartis adds "The Rider will always stand in your way Banbosel, and he shall always come to the aid of humanity."

OOC: Has Caramip dissapeared as well?

And this "I think I will call your people Kalnians from here on." was pretty cool :D

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The End

Banbosel stepped forward as if to engage the two men, but something stopped him. Perhaps it was the confidence and strength of a nobleman's conviction or the sudden and surprising flash of power that eminated from the abjurer's right palm. Or maybe even a god must know when he has lost and must stand down. The fiery gnoll simply replied with a half-smile, "Very well. I will bid you goodbye. Perhaps I will see each other again another decade, and if not I will surely see your future kin." With that the god steps back into the shadows and disappears from sight.

The duo looked at one another and shrugged. They had faced down kobolds, goblins, a mad gnome, trolls, orcs, the Faerie Court, undead both new and ancient, the Lord of the Mountain, an ogre magi, gargoyles, elementals, gods made mortal and more. And yet in this final victory they won with a minimal amount of violence, and their decisions saved the lives of friends and former enemies made allies. They walked towards the campfires of their allies buoyed with their accomplishments and looking forward to the future.

The Imperials, elves, gnomes, and dwarves would all declare that they redefined for many how to walk the path of a hero and their judgement was emulated for many years to come. Each side had their own heroes who would make their mark in the chaos of the next years.

---

The Kalnians initially did not call themselves by the name given them by the Imperials, but after a few generations the name stuck. In this way the Dorinthians had made their Last Stand, but survived as a new and hardier people instead of being wiped out. They lost or stopped believing in many of their gods, though there was still worship of Saul, the Rider, and Lumear. Smaller sects also worshipped Agryol, Bansobel, and Sanmar. It is interesting to note that Dartis, Silas, and Caramip supposedly fought the Battle of the Last Stand along with a powerful roguish spellcaster named Sanmar who was mortally wounded, but whose body disappeared after the elven surrender. Some of the more superstitious and ill-educated people believed that this man was an avatar of the actual god and that he still walks the world today, but current scholars just believe that the name was probably popular at the time. Bansobel's cult was declared illegal and crushed after an attempt at resurgance among the human population, though he remained popular among gnolls and other races. The dwarves went back to their mountain and continued a strong trade with the other allies, especially the gnomes who regained their population and wealth because of their central position between the Kalnians and dwarven nation. The gnomes became great traders, and became the centerpiece of goodwill and commerce between lizardfolk of the nearby swamps and the halfling merchant class that lived alongside the humans. The Tallione Empire collapsed into two empires: one to the west that kept the name of the old empire and the other to the east comprised mostly of Craecian territory that referred to itself as Cryzantium. The elves were effected the most. Without the power of their Avariel Crystal subliminally uniting them they gathered in groups and clusters of like-minded individuals. The waning powers of the crystal set them on paths of quick genetic change, creating entirely new races depending on dispositions and connection to elder elven magic. Few remained in their ancient wood, and most spread throughout the world to start brave, new colonies in hostile lands.

New threats rose during this chaotic time. The orcs resurged as a civilization seventy years later, and without the elves to stop them they became a threat shortly thereafter. The territory that was once Dorinthia became wild and dangerous, with goblinoids, gnolls, and other humanoids trying to create chaotic and short-lived kingdoms while raiding human and dwarven territory. Humans on both sides of the territory would focus on civilizing that land for many years to come. The dangers involved led to heroes of all types, from sellswords to colonizers, to lawmen but their own stories are too large to tell in one sitting.

---

Nikolos Viridikos, Witness of Adeiros the Seeker returned home with his scribes who wrote his journals that he dictated. The priest brought the cure with him, which brought popularity from the populace, but not his peers. He was largely chastised by his fellow Witnesses for becoming too involved in events. They declared that his loss of sight was a sign from his god and he was stripped of his rank and was renamed Nikolos the Blind. The cleric took this in surprising good humor and asked the judges a simple question. If Adeiros truly disagreed with his involvement, why could he see without eyes. An angered man in the crowd declared him blasphemous and threw a plum at Nikolos, which the cleric deftly caught to the amazement of the audience. Then with a smile he took his walking stick and left the Hall of the Seeker, his followers trailing in his wake. Nikolos the Seer would use his remaining years to slowly change his faith into one more willing to take action rather than watch depraved events unfold. It was largely through his reforms that his faith and Craecian people survived the later violent attacks of the Festions.

Commander Sassarius returned to the Empire not knowing what to expect due to the chaotic political situation. What he found shocked him. The Emperor had died during his absence, but had adopted the commander before his final hours. Commander Sassarius was crowned Emperor Sassarius. The new ruler did not know how to navigate the conspiring court, but this was not a trait needed at this time. What the remnants needed was a man who could inspire the people and lead the armies. In this the new emperor performed well, and he had enough sense to let Craece peacefully split and maintain strong relations with Lord Kalnian.

Tessan Ventus returned with the Imperials to witness the dissolving of their Empire. Still, he was instrumental in leading armed groups into the various suffering cities of the former territory and administering the cure to the Avariel disease. He eventually became head of security for the royal court and was assigned to the protection of the late Emperor's daughter. This daughter was sent by Emperor Sassarius to New Dorinth as a peace envoy and to request military assistance against tribes of gnolls. During their journey the princess was ambushed by humanoids led by a giant. As the last of the entourage was slaughtered, Ventus gave the princess his horse, told her to ride west and follow the mountain and hill lines until she reached Silver Forest and New Dorinth. Before he turned to fight, his final words would have repercussions for human civilization. "Find Lord Kalnian and tell him what happened. He is a good man who will stand by you if you stand by him." Ventus' final battle inspired several poems, both from the human and gnoll sides. It would seem he did not go down easily for the nearby gnoll tribes were reluctant to engage an Imperial legionairre for many months. Many Imperial officers dream of recovering his family sword.

Chalik Bermax eventually led a colony of dwarves eastwards in order to expand the clan's holdings. This second Clan Bermax settlement is still standing, run by an aged and wiser Chalik. Through his hard work it has furthered the crescent of civilization and allied trade running from the southern edge of Imperial holdings and down towards the mountains, west to the gnomes, and back north to New Dorinth. Lender Bermax died at the Battle of the Three Rivers, which was a blow to both humans and dwarves who depended upon his leadership. His killing of a young, orcish chieftain did stop the beginnings of an orcish invasion, however, and brought thirty more years of needed peace along the northern borders. It is said that he knew where to be and what to do after receiving a letter from an old friend named Nikolos. It is possible, but hard to imagine, that this was the same Nikolos from Craece.

As mentioned before the gnomes recovered from the near destruction and became a hinge for trade between the allied races. The areas inhabited by their ancestors were studied, but never too deeply. Those who slept in the chambers or worked too often on the artifacts there had strange, genetic memories that would creep up every so often and the gnomes would find themselves distant and emotionless. In the end it was decided that their history was best left forgotten as their ancestors wanted. Phly and Caramip were never seen by them again. However there are tales that the two travelled the world together seeking answers to their heritage. Their journey was not just external, but also internal as awakened powers also led to a loss of caring for lesser, mortal races. Their story ended both in tragedy and victory, as Phly was eventually destroyed by Caramip so that she might save him. Her quest stopped at the end of the world, at the prison of the last Geomancer, where the very earth was ripped assunder in one cataclysmic battle that decided the fate of the mortal races. But then again, that's just a tale the more theatric bards like to sing about and perhaps I should save it for another time.

The elves separated into different groups. The merchants decided to become more sea born and left with a great nomadic fleet that still travels the waters today. A handful of Magi refused to give up on finding a genocidal solution to their problems and delved in dark magic. They were eventually exiled to faraway groves near the orc territories by Celeste. Celeste founded a group of Magi who became hermits in a secluded, forested island whose location has not been shared with others. It is said that they have become aloof, but have also found much of the powerful elven magic that was once lost. Kel and the few elves that remained in the Silver Forest currently maintain their once proud city, although these elves have become a bit wilder without the education the Magi once provided. Still, they are a proud group of men and women who jealously patrol their territory and constantly look for trouble from both south to the now-wild old Dorinthian territory and north from the orc lands. Kel makes regular visits to Tower Eyrstan and gives lectures on morality there while maintaining good will to his Kalnian neighbors. Silas Generwine was a conflicted soul, sometimes violent and suicidal, while other times driven to make up for the crimes that he had committed. He took the recipe for the cure and stated an intention to travel as far as he could, and as far as the disease had spread among the human race. He took a small boat, pointed it towards uncharted waters, and was never seen again though tales abound of an elven hero righting wrongs in the devestated human tribal lands.

Connavar Banouin led a small band of barbarians in the search for battle and glory. He made decent money as a protector and sell sword to the humans and dwarves, and maintained a good relationship with Lender Bermax. Although greatly outnumbered while protecting Lender when the dwarf went to engage the orc leadership at the Battle of the Three Rivers, Connavar and his men fought to the last and were posthumously honored with the title of dwarf-kin by King Bermax. Connavar Dwarfkin is buried in their ancient halls alongside their warriors.

Danica Swann was not done with adventure and accompanied the Imperials to Tallione. There she joined their ranks so that she could spread the newly won cure to the populations that needed it. Because of her work and surname, the swan became a symbol for travelling nurses and clinical staff through the human territories. In her later years she met Barok, who told her that her of the fate of her old friend Rix. She disappeared while on the way to the orc territories, but according to Nikolos' divinings she was last detected at the Faerie Court. Whether she was a guest or prisoner, and what her final fate was, is currently unknown.

Alexander nursed Syra Dorin back to health and their time together blossomed into something stronger. Upon Cal and Dartis' return, Syra ran New Dorinth and was appointed mayor as this allowed her to help guide her people while relinquishing her ability to vie for the future throne. She was content to do this for twenty years of her life, and gave birth to three strong boys. No one asked who the father was. No one needed to. Every holiday she would take the boys to a large cabin that Alexander lived at overlooking a nearby lake. When she retired from office she happily retired to that cabin and the two eventually started a family who had a proud lineage of rangers protecting the forested borders of New Dorinth.

Kyle Radnal never took easily to his regained title of Baron. He still considered himself more of a man of the people and eventually came to clash with Baron Dartis Kalnian over the rights of the commoner. After retiring from the militia, Kyle formed an unofficial Council and eventually became the Council Voice, sometimes working with and other times working against the noble government headed by Dartis. He was never a rabble-rouser, though, and after the failed Abolishment Act he was found to be easy to work with. It is said that although Dartis and Kyle were often political opponents they were always friends, and if it wasn't for the younger man's influence Kyle never would have regained his religious faith.

Cal Dorin was a strong contender for the throne until the last half year leading to the Last Stand. Those months wore him down and he decided that he no longer wanted to rule. He rode with a few select companions and travelled successfully through the dangerous wild lands, bringing back patches of survivors when he could. After his travels ceased to be successful he eventually retired alone to the groves on the hills near the dwarven lands. It was said that he spent much of his time reading poetry aloud under a beautiful tree. Later visitors said that he was surrounded by children in his middling age, though he would never say who the mother was. Eventually the children married with other humans whose descendants became a stoic tribe of horse riding druids closely allied with dwarves and Kalnians.

Barok had travelled east to find Rix and his tribe of kobolds with the intention that Rix would join him at the Last Stand. The two rogues walked a nearby ridge line to discuss the proposal and after hours of arguing the kobold leader agreed to mobilize his people. When they returned to the tunnels they had found the kobolds slaughtered. Someone was travelling through the North, finding humanoid races, demanding their service, and killing those that refused. Rix tracked them with revenge in his heart, and Barok decided to help his kindred spirit, thus never making it to the Last Stand. Their travels took them through the icy Northlands where they found out that the killers were trying to revive a lost cult. Eventually the two ended up in front of a strange ziggurat run by the freed Locusi spectres. The Locusi were planning to usher in a new age of blood and devestation for their god. Rix and Barok found themselves with strange allies in their quest for vengeance, a quest that eventually brought them inside the ziggurat. Only a very bloody Barok walked out, though his brief tales of what happened to Rix are conflicted. The kobold disappeared during the final battle, although his companion is not sure whether or not Rix was destroyed. After that, Barok travelled as a sellsword before returning to New Dorinth. There he was welcomed to Lord Kalnian's court as a hero, but soon wore out his welcome due to his seducing of noblemen's wives, his penchant for duels, and his like of drink. Even though he saved Dartis' son from an assasination attempt the rogue knew it was time to hit the road once more. Barok would spend the rest of his life bouncing back from adventuring to being welcomed warmly to the Kalnian court.

Baron Dartis Kalnian was welcomed back as a hero and with the Dorins stepping down he was expected to be crowned as the ruler of New Dorinth. The coronation always was pushed away as Dartis dealt as he saw fit with threats to his people. Also Dartis was hoping to marry a noblewoman after the coronation, but his options were limited. Syra had become smitten with Alexander, Celeste had moved to a far off island, and the one lone noblewoman saved by the dwarves and Barok years ago he found insufferable. It was years before he finally decided to be crowned, but during this time Kyle Radnal had gathered enough of the people to question whether nobility was needed at all. In the confusion a princess, the daughter of the late Emperor showed up claiming that Ventus had been killed and that Tallione requested help because of a siege. The weight of events was almost too much to Dartis and he retired to the administration building to think. While he pondered a delegation led by Kyle brought a crowd beneath his balcony waving the Abolishment Act and demanded that he renounce noble titles. It was the princess he reacted, going to the balcony and chastising them for bringing politics to play while Dartis mourned a fallen hero. The crowd dispersed chastised. The next morning Kyle himself offered to take a contingent to Tallione's aid in way of apology. Dartis was cleared to take care of much needed administration, prepare for the coronation, and get to know his guest better. They were married a year later, at the signing of the New Dorinth - Tallione Alliance. Their marriage was the start of the Kalnian Dynasty.

Silas Eyrstan retired happily to his family, but kept finding himself pressed with humans and the occasional elf hearing of his magical aptitude and requesting training. Silas' biggest complaint was that he did not have enough funds to train anyone, lacked proper facilities, and had a family to take care of. The gnomes donated a large sum of money, followed by Kel's elves, Emperor Sassarius, the halfling merchant families and the Bermax Clan. With these funds they built a large estate in between the elven and human lands in the Silver Forest and asked Silas to become the dean of a new magical school. Silas was silenced in his humility and agreed to make the college open to the allied races. Tower Eyrstan is the tallest of the buildings and has touches and influences of architecture from Craece, Tallione, gnomes, dwarves, elves, and Kalnians. Silas ran the school and curriculum while Hector became its student advisor. In his elder years the abjurer would complain about constant aches in his right palm followed by visionary dreams while he slept. After the harshest of these moments he would become a genius when it came to researching the elven and Avariel magics. Silas was able to decipher and recover magic that not even the elves were able to understand. He also lived past a hundred, strangely enough. Most accounts say that as he became to understand Avariel magic more deeply he also became more absent minded and took to wandering the forests alone. One day he did not come back from his wanderings. The day he disappeared is wrapped in mystery, for he was last seen at the top of his tower and not walking the grounds. How he got past the students is not known, but one foolish tale says that a student swore that as he looked up to the sun and peered up at his venerable teacher he saw his right palm was aglow and feathered wings spread forth from his back, like that of an angel.

---

Thus Ends Last Stand of the Dorinthians

Fenris

Adventurer
That.
Was.
Amazing.

This was the coolest game ever. DT, you rock. I have read this post like 5 times and it gets better each time. Wow. So very very cool the way you worked out all the stories for each character and NPC. And tied up loose ends and well everything. Very very cool. Thank you so much for a very very fun game. I swear I thought Dartis would be dead several times. If you EVER run another game, I want the first slot. Ok, I'll take second to Glasseye ;)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have been following this story for some time nowand like ... wow. to quote fenrus:
That.
Was.
Amazing.

'nuff said.

Remove ads