• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Late to the D&D 4E Bandwagon - First Impressions

Shades of Green

First Post
Heh... I am very late to the bandwagon. Four years have passed since Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition has come out, and I have finally played it. First and foremost, I must say that I'm "on the fence" in regard to editions - while I still like ACKS and D&D 3.5E better than 4E, I don't think that 4E is a bad edition. In fact, it has its own strengths (as well as weaknesses).

So far I played in three sessions of D&D 4E, two of them in a short, abortive game with friends, and one in a local mini-convention (Nexus-Con in Rishon Lezion). In the campaign with friends we made our own characters, which took us two-thirds of a session (more on that later); in the convention we had very well-presented pregens with very effectively laid-out character sheets. All in all, I think I have about 12 or so hours and 4-5 encounters of 4E play experience under my belt, compared to hours over hours of 3.xE and even more 2E experience.

So what do I think of 4E? Let's see:

The Good

1) The skill system. In the hand of a competent (or even half-competent) DM, the 4E skill system is versatile, very easy to use and intuitive, especially when compared to the very long skill lists of 3.xE. Everyone has the same small number of skills, with different modifiers; the skill modifiers are 1/2 of your level + ability modifier + 5 if you are trained. No fiddly skill-point allocation. As the skill list is simple and it's very clear what every skill does, all while you can creatively apply any skill for a multitude of purposes, it seems very easy to adjudicate.

2) The At-Will/Encounter/Daily Power system and Healing Surges. While, unfortunately, most powers are combat-specific (more on that later), the amount of accounting needed for actual combat powers is smaller than in 3.xE, and the "15-minute adventuring day" issue is greatly mitigated. A big battle in 3.5E, taking a few minutes of actual in-game time, can burn through many of your spells, powers and HP, forcing you to go to rest minutes after getting up from the previous rest. In 4E, you might have burnt your Dailies, but you'll still have your Encounter and At-Will Powers ready for the next battle; and with healing surges, you'll be able to go through a lot more battles per day than in 3.xE without spending too many precious spells. Also, the fact that Clerics don't really have to choose between healing spells and other spells is liberating; you can even have a very good adventure without needing the mandatory Cleric to fork out healing. Oh, and Fighters can do a lot more than just "I hit him with my axe". Oh, and you no longer have low-level spellcasters pin-pricking enemies with puny daggers once they run out of spells; they all have a few low-grade at-will spells.

3) When using pregens and well laid-out character sheets, the game seems fairly friendly to newcomers. While character creation is very long and somewhat tiresome, once you have a character on a well-detailed character sheet, it's very easy to use. I have seen a lot less page-flipping in 4E than in 3.xE.

4) Static defences. This is a Heresy, I know, but this makes some sense from a game-design PoV - a magic attack is an attack like any other and the attacker (caster) rolls to-hit rather than the defender a saving throw.

The Bad

1) Character Generation complexity. Well, honestly, this is quite typical for games such as D&D 4E where you get tons of chargen options and specific powers. The first time we made characters for 4E, it took us two or three hours to get all characters ready and all their powers copied to index cards. We probably copied also stuff we didn't need on the index cards, though. However, compare that to the 10-30 minutes necessary to generate an ACKS character (roll 6 stats, choose class, record attack roll and saving throws, choose proficiencies and buy gear) or the 5 minutes necessary to generate a character in Classic Traveller. Well, that's a good reason why characters don't die easily in D&D 4E, die much more easily in ACKS and die even more easily in Classic Traveller - after all, if all you need to roll up a character are 5 or so minutes, it isn't so much of a setback to the game to have one eaten by acid-blooded arachnids...

2) Combat grind. Combat takes a long time - seemingly as long as in 3.5E and maybe even longer - and both monsters and heroes have high HP, so it takes a lot of time to kill one even with Encounter Powers. The fastest kill in the convention game was does with a Daily - a Fireball - killing several enemy archers in one hit in a particularly satisfying manner. Other than that, people die slowly.

3) Everything seems to be very combat-oriented. Almost all powers are combat-specific and anything done out of combat uses the good, though quite sketchy, skill system. I don't recall seeing any exploration-oriented spells in 4E, but I might have just missed them due to the combat-heavy nature of the convention game.

Bottom Line

Well, it doesn't seem like a bad game. Not necessarily 100% my cup of tea but could be a nice option to try. I wonder, should I get my grubby hands on the three 4E core-books, or should I rather stick with ACKS (or wait for D&D 5next)?

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its like traveling back in time!

Its funny, in the past you could get a whole debate on whether or not your findings were "real" or just some local aberration...

But your observations are pretty common ones. You should still try to keep playing...it does play pretty well.

dkyle

First Post
You non-combat spells are Rituals. A number of classes get the Ritual Casting feat for free, and others can pick it up like any other feat.

For helping with combat grind, I'd suggest looking at Monster Manual 3. They fixed the math so that monsters get fewer HP, but bigger damage. But even as a 4E fan, I agree that combat tends to take longer than I'd like. I addressed it by only having big, set-piece encounters that are important to the story.

S

Sunseeker

1) Character Generation complexity. Well, honestly, this is quite typical for games such as D&D 4E where you get tons of chargen options and specific powers. The first time we made characters for 4E, it took us two or three hours to get all characters ready and all their powers copied to index cards. We probably copied also stuff we didn't need on the index cards, though. However, compare that to the 10-30 minutes necessary to generate an ACKS character (roll 6 stats, choose class, record attack roll and saving throws, choose proficiencies and buy gear) or the 5 minutes necessary to generate a character in Classic Traveller. Well, that's a good reason why characters don't die easily in D&D 4E, die much more easily in ACKS and die even more easily in Classic Traveller - after all, if all you need to roll up a character are 5 or so minutes, it isn't so much of a setback to the game to have one eaten by acid-blooded arachnids...
If you choose to invest further in 4e, the online character builder simplifies the process even further, and prints out pre-generated power "cards", which just so happen to be the same size as MTG cards and fit nicely into card sleeves. In a previous game I was in nearly the whole group did this. It was very nice and boiled your character sheet down to about 1 page, 2 if you needed a little more detail and some inventory writing space, with a pile of cards on the side. Also very portable!

2) Combat grind. Combat takes a long time - seemingly as long as in 3.5E and maybe even longer - and both monsters and heroes have high HP, so it takes a lot of time to kill one even with Encounter Powers. The fastest kill in the convention game was does with a Daily - a Fireball - killing several enemy archers in one hit in a particularly satisfying manner. Other than that, people die slowly.
My solution was minions! Throw in 1-3 actual enemies, and surround them with a half-dozen minions. In same cases, the solution was to halve the health of most creatures, which the DMG3 did in addition to increasing their damage(also a good idea).

3) Everything seems to be very combat-oriented. Almost all powers are combat-specific and anything done out of combat uses the good, though quite sketchy, skill system. I don't recall seeing any exploration-oriented spells in 4E, but I might have just missed them due to the combat-heavy nature of the convention game.
Agreed, 4e requires a lot of investment in being creative with the skill system outside of combat. The lack of non-combat spells does limit things to an extent, but once you get a feel for giving a lot of that room to RP, then you're good. The Wizard no longer has "Ghost Sound", but an arcana and a bluff check combined with the fact that he's a wizard means he can simulate it pretty well.

Well, it doesn't seem like a bad game. Not necessarily 100% my cup of tea but could be a nice option to try. I wonder, should I get my grubby hands on the three 4E core-books, or should I rather stick with ACKS (or wait for D&D 5next)?
4e takes a while to get the hang of and requires a very creative DM to overcome some of the less than palatable elements. My players were very resistant to it at first, but most got the hang of it after a while. Also: Building from Core only does limit a few of the more fun and enjoyable elements added later, but is also a very effective filter on a lot of the extraneous material.

C4

Explorer
I'd say that the PHB and the DMG are good investments. For a monster book I'd suggest MM3 or either of the Monster Vaults. I'd also suggest checking out my Complete 4th Edition, which really opens up the chargen process.

That said, it's very possible to make a 1st level 4e character in under 30 minutes -- thanks to each class' build advice, you can pick your class, your race, assign your abilities accordingly (I use the standard array), pick your four powers, pick a feat (weapon/implement focus is an easy choice), get your gear and play! It didn't take much 4e play for me to be making characters in the same 20-30 minutes it takes me to make a 3.x PC.

pemerton

Legend
I wonder, should I get my grubby hands on the three 4E core-books, or should I rather stick with ACKS (or wait for D&D 5next)?
If you're looking for a single monster book, I'd recommend the Essentials Monster Vault.

As a rule book, I'd recommend the Essentials Rules Compendium. If you have this, I would say the DMGs are fairly optional - looking around here for threads on encounter design, skill challenge adjudication etc will probably serve you just as well.

You'll also need something for generating PCs - this could be a PHB, a "Heroes of . . . " book, etc, as seems appropriate, or the online builder.

S'mon

Legend
I find in my 4e campaign, the two books I use regularly are:

1) Heroes of the Fallen Lands - 4 of 7 PCs IMC are from this book, the others being 2 PHB Rangers and a flaky guy who keeps changing his PC. Has the skill rules, which are the main rules that need referring to in play, and combat conditions etc.

2) Dungeon Delve, which I use as a kind of sandbox campaign setting (added to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, which stays at home) cum monster manual cum adventure path.

For most people Monster Vault is probably better than Dungeon Delve, but I'd definitely recommend Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

fjw70

Adventurer
I love 4e but ther are things I ont like about it. Here are a few bought from one that sees 4e as my favorite D&D version.

1) I LOVE healing surges, however I don't really care for a lot of in-combat healing. Therefore 4e is a lot more fun and deadly without leaders.

2) 4e is much better at the heroic tier than paragon or epic. Combats go a lot quicker but are still a lot of fun.

3) 4e would be much better without minor actions. Having to contemplate giving up move or attack in order to heal someone or sustain an effect is much more interesting than doing those things with a minor action.

I am not presenting these things as universal truths. Just my opinion

S

Sunseeker

I love 4e but ther are things I ont like about it. Here are a few bought from one that sees 4e as my favorite D&D version.

1) I LOVE healing surges, however I don't really care for a lot of in-combat healing. Therefore 4e is a lot more fun and deadly without leaders.
So is any edition without a healer, but I feel it's something different in 4e because the ability to occasionally heal is available to everyone, so it makes it a very valuable resource when absent a healer.

3) 4e would be much better without minor actions. Having to contemplate giving up move or attack in order to heal someone or sustain an effect is much more interesting than doing those things with a minor action.
More powerful effects do require this.

Remove ads