Unearthed Arcana Latest Unearthed Arcana Introduces Rogue & Ranger Archetypes

RulesJD

First Post
Your sarcasm detector needs calibrating. The rules for Enlarge only applies to weapons enlarged by the Enlarge spell. Why shouldn't a Large PC be able to use an oversized weapon looted from a Large monster?

Because they're not. His interpretation of the rule is correct. Just because you become "large" does not mean your damage dice is doubled.

Also, holy cow that Guardian form is OP. Allies automatically gain HP at START of turn within 30ft? That means your allies are essentially unkillable because they get healing before they start their turn. That feature definitely needs to be toned down.

JRedmond

Explorer
Sure you could pick up one of those weapons I suppose on your turn, I guess it could be used in that very specific situation during a battle where you found one. You would need to drop it after your turn. You wouldn't be carrying that weapon with you afterwards, at least I wouldn't let my players do that.

Your sarcasm detector needs calibrating. The rules for Enlarge only applies to weapons enlarged by the Enlarge spell. Why shouldn't a Large PC be able to use an oversized weapon looted from a Large monster?

Horizon Walker is fantastic. With a little bit of refluffing, it makes a great gish alternative to the eldritch knight fighter.

Primeval Guardian leaves me cold. Basically, you turn into a tree. That does not scream "awesome" to me. There are cooler ways to express the warden than this.

I wanted a martial ranger. Looks like the Scout Rogue is it. I suppose I don't mind. The rogue is a great class. But I do think the Scout needs a little bit more oomph. The mobility is good and I really like the capstone ability. But something is missing...can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, holy cow that Guardian form is OP. Allies automatically gain HP at START of turn within 30ft? That means your allies are essentially unkillable because they get healing before they start their turn. That feature definitely needs to be toned down.
No more unkillable than a Champion fighter whenever they get that ability that's similar.

And at 15th level, there's a lot of things that can kill a PC faster than gaining 7 HP a round if they're less than half.

Sure you could pick up one of those weapons I suppose on your turn, I guess it could be used in that very specific situation during a battle where you found one. You would need to drop it after your turn. You wouldn't be carrying that weapon with you afterwards, at least I wouldn't let my players do that.
I'd say that's a sensible ruling, but nothing in the rules actually prevents a PC from carrying an extra large weapon and bringing it out when in guardian form, so you could probably get this past a lot of DMs. Pick a race with the "large frame" trait to gain the carrying capacity of a Large creature if that's what it takes to convince the DM that it's reasonable.

Also, would you please stop top posting? This is a forum not email. :)

Mad_Jack

Legend
To clarify the Scout's Sudden Strike: Is it using sneak attack twice on your turn, just not on the same target?

Yup - you use your bonus action to get an extra attack against a different target, and can add SA to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercule

Adventurer
I like the Horizon Walker. It looks really fun and interesting. And, it even keeps the "border patrol" fluffiness I like from the Ranger. I'd play one.

The Primeval Guardian isn't really my cup-o-tea, but I don't hate it. I'd probably allow it as a PC. I might encourage something else, but, if they were set on it, I'd be fine.

There's no need for a Scout kit for Rogue; just choose the right background and skills..... Oh, wait.... That's actually kinda interesting. I see where some of the cool, but broken, ideas (like Ambuscade) from previous UA Rangers went. Nicely done.

No more unkillable than a Champion fighter whenever they get that ability that's similar.

And at 15th level, there's a lot of things that can kill a PC faster than gaining 7 HP a round if they're less than half.
The Guardian's ability works on PCs with 0 HP, the Champion's doesn't. Since there's no negative HP in 5E, that makes a huge difference, at least until the monsters catch on and start finishing off downed PCs :)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases