D&D 5E Least Favorite WotC 5E Book?

I quite like van richten's as well, never really into the setting during earlier editions. I use it for ideas on domains to drop into my own games, pretty much ignoring the actual overall setting. I've added the Egyptian domain to a location in my home-brew world, for instance.
Har'Akir is one of the better done VRGtR domains in my opinion. The domain never got much love in previous editions of the setting, and the additions to the place are mostly interesting and useful - like the Labyrinth, and the priesthood of false gods who work to keep the populace quiescent because it's a big secret of the priesthoods that if the populace isn't quiescent then Ankhtepot sends a bunch of mummies to massacre them. It's one i would definitely look to use.

It's all a bit silly though, that they made a transparently Egyptian domain and then carefully but only slightly changed the names of the Egyptian gods in it, and commissioned very non-Egyptian (and to my eye jarring) art of Ankhtepot himself.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think with just the smallest of some art changes, I could have been fine with it. It's probably just that person "so close"! aspect that gets me. It's got elements from a few of my favorite artists, or COULD have, and so it's just a real missed opportunity to me.

This was my take on Witchlight too.

I take my Heroes of the Feywild (4e) in one hand, put Witchlight in the other, then shake my head slowly asking '' what have you become? ''.

You offer me a carnival as a starting adventure. I tell myself ''oh its gonna be full-on Something Wicked this Way Comes or like the old arcade Carnevil, reusing the imagery of Rakdos from MTG'', but no, its a magical carnival without much danger.

C'mon WotC, you have Space Clown and Relentless Slasher/Juggernaut! Mix them together and create everyone's worst nightmare!

The Glen

Legend
For adventures Rime of the Frost Maiden came across ad a schizophrenic mess. Too many parts of the book felt like welded on padding. You don't actually get to the plot until about half way into the adventure and the monster balance didn't seem playtested at all.

For sourcebooks Tasha's easily. It marked 5e's slide into cookie cutter. All the martial subclasses are just ADD MAGIC. It moved the stat bonuses away from races to classes instead. It was the unearthed arcana of 5th, and added nothing of value to the game

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This was my take on Witchlight too.

I take my Heroes of the Feywild (4e) in one hand, put Witchlight in the other, then shake my head slowly asking '' what have you become? ''.

You offer me a carnival as a starting adventure. I tell myself ''oh its gonna be full-on Something Wicked this Way Comes or like the old arcade Carnevil, reusing the imagery of Rakdos from MTG'', but no, its a magical carnival without much danger.

C'mon WotC, you have Space Clown and Relentless Slasher/Juggernaut! Mix them together and create everyone's worst nightmare!
I mean, in play the carnival is super fun, though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I find the hate for Witchlight interesting. Like I get not wanting something that's so non-combat oriented, but I actually liked the adventure when I read through it, and I am keen to run it someday. It seems like a good one to run for my children.

it maybe because I already like to play as gnomes but I really liked Witchlight and its non-combat focus. and although the circus was a bit disappointing in not providing a full on Dark Carnival, once you get into Hither its got a nice Oz/Labyrinth feel to it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
it maybe because I already like to play as gnomes but I really liked Witchlight and its non-combat focus. and although the circus was a bit disappointing in not providing a full on Dark Carnival, once you get into Hither its got a nice Oz/Labyrinth feel to it.
It is worth noting that Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft very specifically does include a Dark Carnival, with all those tropes, that is even tied to the Witchlight Carnival directly. So combining the info from the Adventure with the info in the Ravenloft book (which were released only a few months apart) gives you all that's needed to do it that way.

Remove ads