• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legend of the Seeker #5: Listener/Nov2008

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
post-425982-1225850534.jpg

Listener

Writers:Stephen Tolkin

Director:Mark Beesley

Stars:Bruce Spence (Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander)
Bridget Regan (Kahlan Amnell)
Craig Horner (Richard Cypher)

Recurring Role:Jay Laga'aia (Chase)
David de Lautour (Michael Cypher)
Craig Parker (Darken Rahl)
Richard and Kahlan rescue a young child who can read a person's mind by looking into their eyes.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Oy, this kid was a hell of a brat. I thought they should
kill him to prevent him from falling into Darken Rahl's hands at least 5 minutes before it came up in the episode. :devil: But then the ending was kind of fun too when he started turning all the soldiers against each other

Looks like the ending set up some major stroyline for the next episode too.

And Zedd continues to be the most interesting character in the show. Is it just me, or does the magic have kind of a classic D&D feel to it or something?

Darth Shoju

First Post
Is it just me, or does the magic have kind of a classic D&D feel to it or something?

I agree. I'm liking it quite a bit. Particularly since they always seem to cop out and make magic really generic or weak in TV fantasy. This has been fairly cool to see.

This is the second episode I've seen of this show, and I'm still impressed. The plots are solid, the dialogue is far from bad, and the acting is definitely watchable. It hasn't blown me away yet, but it's still a fun watch. I hope it stays on the air for at least a few seasons.

Merkuri

Explorer
Is it just me, or does the magic have kind of a classic D&D feel to it or something?

I feel like they're going to go more in-depth into how magic works later on in the series. Zedd already mentioned "additive magic" a few episodes ago, so it sounds like they're keeping magic close to how it worked in the book.

Merkuri

Explorer
Appropriate for 13 year old?

NO! At least, not in my opinion!

I don't remember if the first book was bad, but I know at least one book in the series has some pretty graphic sex scenes. It's been a while, so I don't know which book I'm thinking of (just that it wasn't the first book).

As far as whether they're good or not, they were mediocre. Personally I felt like they stole entirely too much "fluff" from the Wheel of Time series. Seriously, the amount of random stuff that was in common between the two (a character with a cloak made entirely of patches, another character that has super-human senses so they can tell who's there without seeing them, and the use of collars to control magic-using people are a few examples) was too much to be a coincidence and totally turned me off from the series after I read maybe 3 of them.

I liked them enough to be excited when I saw the series was coming to TV, though.

Remove ads