• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legend of the Seeker: Prophecy/Destiny (1)Nov.2008

Zaukrie

New Publisher
must....get....dvr....

I missed it, but wanted to watch. The critic in the Mpls paper basically said the plot was a complete rip off of star wars...so far.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
agg :eek:

How did I miss this. I was looking forward to watching it... and thought I knew what sci fi was showing this last weekend (mostly terrible "scifi" movies).

When did it air?
Is there a planned re-air?

It is syndicated so you will have to find out for yourself. The website Legend of the Seeker has a zip code look up feature to see when/where it airs in your area. WGN also airs it so you might get a couple of shots. With the combination of WGN and my local channel I am getting 3-4 airings a week at all kinds of times.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
agg :eek:

How did I miss this. I was looking forward to watching it... and thought I knew what sci fi was showing this last weekend (mostly terrible "scifi" movies).

When did it air?
WGN had it on at 5 to 7 Saturday, my local station had it 6 to 8. I am sure some one will have it back on this week.

Orius

Legend
must....get....dvr....

I missed it, but wanted to watch. The critic in the Mpls paper basically said the plot was a complete rip off of star wars...so far.

Not entirely. Yeah, there's places where it matches up, but I attribute it to both stories pretty much dipping from the same Campbellian sources. Or maybe one could just say that Lucas and Goodkind just don't know how to not trip into the cliches. ;) Not like say, Eragon, where you can make an accurate scene-by-scene comparison of the two.

Ranger REG

Explorer
When did it air?
Better yet, will they upload the full episodes online for re-viewing?

(Since I upgrade to basic DSL -- 3Mbps -- I've been watching full-episode shows online -- when available -- and stop recording them on my VCR.)

Oh, yeah. As everyone says, it's syndicated, so check your local TV listing, or go to Legend of the Seeker

Krug

Newshound
Boy you can play a spot-the-cliche drinking game with this one. Still meh; not terrible but not too good either.

Orius

Legend
Bump for this week's episode, for those who missed it the first time around or whatever. The premier was two hours, so only the first half this week.

Yes folks, we've hit the repeat cycle for the show already. How depressing, it's been on barely more than a month. :(

Felon

First Post
"Predictable" is probably being too generous. "Derivative" is the word that best described the premier I saw.

Here's what we've got: a priestess fleeing from the evil troopers of a powerful and dark sorcerer (named, aptly, "Darken Rahl") in a desperate bid to contact some wise old good-hearted wizard who's been hiding out for the last two decades pretending to be a crazy old hermit. The wizard's motive for doing so? To watch over a special young man with a very important destiny--the destinty of becoming The Seeker. Although the lad's training is minimal, he's got heaps of natural talent and still manages to overcome Darken's legions and generally superior resources. Any of this sound familiar? Try swapping out a few words, like "priestess" with "princess".

Mind you, the big problem with the show isn't that it's highly derivative. Derivative is fine if you're dealing with a young audience, because they lack the benefit of having seen the same old crap a thousand times, and they seem to love that "Chosen One" chestnut that's almost offensive to some older folks. No, Seeker's big problem is that it lacks focus on who it's trying to appeal to. Kids won't find much of interest in any of those three characters, and the tone of the show favors grimness and bombast over color and energy. The show doesn't have any comic relief (except for the old wizard's occasional wisecrack), and humor is what makes a work of fiction into something you can relate to even when the setting is fantastic.

BBC"s Merlin is not perfect by any stretch, but it is a much better example of how to make a fantasy show with a Chosen One theme that youngsters can relate to.

Now if the show wants to appeal to adults, then they have a lot of work ahead of them. They've got to make the trite Chosen One angle seem somehow fresh and innovative. They've got to lose the corny villain. "Darken Rahl"? Sheesh. They'd also need to punch up the dialogue, and they still need more humor, just a different type. Oddly, Raimi and Tapert have never hurt for levity in their shows before.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
"Predictable" is probably being too generous. "Derivative" is the word that best described the premier I saw.

From what I've heard, that flaw was part of the books this show is based on. They would have had to change things quite a bit to address this. I went into the series expecting it to be derivative and I wasn't disappointed there.

Now if the show wants to appeal to adults, then they have a lot of work ahead of them. They've got to make the trite Chosen One angle seem somehow fresh and innovative. They've got to lose the corny villain. "Darken Rahl"? Sheesh. They'd also need to punch up the dialogue, and they still need more humor, just a different type. Oddly, Raimi and Tapert have never hurt for levity in their shows before.

I'd be surprised if they made many changes of that level, since it would make shelling out for the rights to the story fairly pointless. That being said, they could stand to punch things up. The humour has been kind of weak so far. And they have been deviating from the plots of the books somewhat (so I've heard), so there's nothing stopping them from making things more interesting there either.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
It's a handsome production, but a little, well, dull. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I thought that the team behind Hercules/Xena et al adapting the Conan the Libertarian novels of Terry Goodkind would be a bit more, well, batsh*t insane. I thought the result would be slightly absurd Objectivist fantasy (look, a redundant oxymoron, whee!).

What I got was moderately high production values, a hot Confessor, and more thinly-veiled New Zealand travelogue.

Last edited:

Remove ads