Critical Role Legend of Vox Machina

Critical Role's animated show (originally funded by a $10M crowdfunding campaign which broke $1M in under an hour, and then picked up by Amazon for 2 seasons) launches on 4th February 2022. You can now see a preview.

It is a shame that it is with Amazon, but I hope that it turns out well. The second season has already been ordered, which is positive.

Any idea how many arcs they'll cover in this season? Should inform whether this show will transition to Cammpaign 2 after season 2 or not.

MarkB

Legend
It is a shame that it is with Amazon, but I hope that it turns out well. The second season has already been ordered, which is positive.

Any idea how many arcs they'll cover in this season? Should inform whether this show will transition to Cammpaign 2 after season 2 or not.
The first season is going to cover the Briarwoods arc. I doubt they'll get anywhere near the end of these characters' stories anytime soon.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don't know how official the "chapter breaks" listed in the link below are, but season one being the Briarwood arc suggests one season is one chapter, there are eight total chapers for VM. The Briarwood arc is chapter 3. So we could see six seasons of just VM following that, if it's chronological. Two more if they do the first two arcs...but that's unlikely considering the unpleasantness with Orion. But there's also all kinds of comics, one-shots, side quests, etc they could fill in seasons with.

The first season is going to cover the Briarwoods arc. I doubt they'll get anywhere near the end of these characters' stories anytime soon.

Oh wow! I thought the Briarwoods arc would only be a few episodes.

That's pretty cool. Sounds likje they're going to need at-least 6 seasons to cover all the arcs for campaign 1. I wonder how they'll change things up too; I wonder if they'll hint towards some events that happen later and such.

jgsugden

Legend
They've made it clear that they're making a show, not doing a direct translation of the game. As such, they make skip parts of arcs, make up connecting pieces, or alter the story significantly. I'm sure they'll keep the core beats that are beloved - but that table read isn't exactly a cut and paste from an episode.

Season 1 will be the Briarwood Arc (around 15 episodes depending upon how you measure it), and then the second season might be the entire Chroma Conclave storyline that spans 45 episodes (40% of the campaign). They did extend season 2 to 14 episodes from the 10 of season 1, and there were some draggy CR episodes in those 45 episodes and elements they may wish to steer clear of for contested rights reasons. The final 'secret' arc could be a season 3... and you might get a "Vox Machina Origins" season for a season 4. They don't need to fear running out of material - they can easily transition to Campaign 2 and then Campaign 3. They'll complete story arcs far faster on CR than they will on Legends of Vox Machina - in fact, they may start producing Legends of the Mighty Nein right after Season 1 is released if it is a hit. They could release Mighty Nein season 1 between Legend of Vox Machina 2 and 3, and then even start producing a show based upon campaign 3 two years after that and not see it hit the air until Campaign 4 begins and 4 seasons of Vox Machina ends. However, all of that would be contingent on the show getting a lot of interest.

Remove ads

Remove ads