Kickstarter [Legendary Games] LEGENDARY PLANET Kickstarter at 500% and counting!

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
I get the bestiary and the gazeteer. But what type of content will be in the "12 pages of bonus material"?

That bonus material allotment is divided into two parts. Half of it will be dedicated to Chris A. Jackson's ongoing interplanetary adventure story, while the other half is a bonus feature that generally presents new rules elements unique to the campaign. The first announced article for To Worlds Unknown is an article on religion in the Legendary Planet setting by Sean K Reynolds, along with rules for clerics of the various deities. The specifics of future articles have not been announced yet but will include equipment, new spells and magic, class options and feats, and the like.

painted_klown

First Post
This looks really cool, and I'd like to get in, but am (admittedly) somewhat confused.

Is there any pledge that gets you physical books of all the material?

I am not too hyped on PDFs, but would buy in if we get everything in a hard copy book (or books).

Additionally, when you buy in at $400 to name 1 of the 4 iconic characters, what exactly does that mean? Like, if I buy in at $400, I can name a major character in the series my user name "Painted Klown" or whatever? Are these NPCs or something?

Sorry for the confusion. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
This looks really cool, and I'd like to get in, but am (admittedly) somewhat confused.

Is there any pledge that gets you physical books of all the material?

I am not too hyped on PDFs, but would buy in if we get everything in a hard copy book (or books).

Additionally, when you buy in at $400 to name 1 of the 4 iconic characters, what exactly does that mean? Like, if I buy in at $400, I can name a major character in the series my user name "Painted Klown" or whatever? Are these NPCs or something?

Sorry for the confusion. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!

No problem. I'll answer your last question first:
1. All design decisions are subject to final approval by the Legendary Games team. That include names that are too close to someone else's intellectual property (Alminster or Briz'zt or Mardenkainen, etc.) or the name of a real-world person, place, or thing, or names that are just a little too goofy for the setting. So no "Painted Klowns." :)

2. The "iconic characters" refer to the set of 4 characters that we are using in our artwork throughout the series to represent the heroes. If you look at the image right at the beginning of our Kickstarter video, which is also the cover piece for the To Worlds Unknown adventure, you'll see them:
- a male human/cyborg warrior with sword, shield, and a red uniform over his armor
- a female plant-humanoid sorceress conjuring some magical energy - (already claimed)
- a winged reptilian humanoid rogue
- a 4-armed red-skinned alien priest with a strange staff or polearm

These characters stand in for the PCs when it comes to action scenes depicted in the adventure art, as if they were the character party going through the adventure, so if there's an encounter with a dragon or a bunch of infected alien pod people or zombie robots or whatever it may be, those are the characters you'll see. We will also be developing a separate product, detailing these characters in case you want to use them as NPCs at some point, but they play no actual role in the adventures. They're just the sample pregenerated characters.

What you get at that pledge level is creating the name of that character and working with award-winning author Neil Spicer to develop their personality and background.

3. There are other options for naming characters in the adventure by doing an "add-on pledge" (you just add on the amount to whatever your base pledge might be), including just doing a simple name-drop of a person, place or thing; sponsoring a creature, character, or action scene and its accompanying artwork; or developing a pregen of your own design to add to the four core iconics in the same Planetary Heroes book.

4. As to your most important question, how to get the book in print, the simplest solution is the Planetary Hero level, where you get all of the PDFs as they come out, subscription style, including any bonus PDFs (like the Art and Map Folio already unlocked at 200 backers), and once the full adventure path is complete you'll get a hardcover compilation of the entire thing - at present, that's likely around 400 pages and counting. As we add more adventures and more material, it all gets added to the hardcover; every part of the adventure path will be in it.

5. If you're not quite ready to go all in, you can go in at the Planetary Colonizer level, which gets you the PDFs and softcover copies of the first two adventures. Our pre-Kickstarter research came back pretty conclusively that people would rather have a single big hardcover rather than multiple smaller softcovers, but the special pledge levels do include softcovers of every issue as well as the premium hardcover. We are also offering backers who do want the other adventures in softcover a discounted price on the print-on-demand versions of those adventures once they become available.

Thanks for checking in and I hope you hop on board. Let me know if you have any further questions.

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
ANOTHER stretch goal has fallen! Check out the latest Kickstarter update for Legendary Planet!

Thanks to the generous support of marvelous Martin Hansen Lontjern pushing us over the $32,000 mark, we have blasted through yet another bonus goal, adding a fantastic 10-page gazetteer for Confederates of the Shattered Zone by Richard Pett, detailing the blasted remnants of the asteroid belt itself, its mining colonies, and the surrounding solar system, with the able assistance of Savior of the Universe Henry Wong and a Prince of the Universe yet unnamed! If you've back at that level and haven't claimed a star system yet, hop on board with the esteemed Master Pett and let your fantastic flag fly!

The final stretch goal for Confederates of the Shattered Zone is now in view, 12 pages of bonus articles (including the latest installment of Chris A. Jackson's interplanetary romp) unlocked at $34,000, and then at $36,000 another entire 64-page adventure (bringing us up to 500 PAGES!), Steven T. Helt's awesome aquatic adventure, The Depths of Desolation!

After a rip-roaring start, Legendary Planet has settled into a mellow middle phase of slow growth. This is pretty standard, and with almost 4 weeks left in our project we are still very pleased with our progress and look forward to a fast finish. Our mythic Kickstarter added almost 1/3 of its backers and dollars in the last four days! Right now, keep spreading the word among your friends and gamer acquaintances, in person and on social media, and when you see Legendary Planet pop up on your feed make sure to like, share, +1, retweet, etc., to keep boosting the signal. Also, if you've got a suggestion for an area to share the news about Legendary Planet, let us know!

As a final note, please check out the Legendary Games website this week for our annual July sale, celebrating our relaunch in 2012. Blast off for savings from tomorrow through the 4th of July and get some amazing deals at the Legendary Games webstore!

Jaracove

First Post
Pledges look a little confusing, as in I'm really not sure what I'm pledging for

Also, it seems almost too big an idea. Like trying to be so many kinds of cool all at the same time. It looks like a massive project, and I shudder at the amount of errata that 'might' be included in such a big venture. Of course this is nothing but a subjective view based on past decades of rpg purchase experiences - and not a true or accurate reflection on Legendary Planet, which may be errata free for all I know. Still, once bitten and all that. In any case, d&d with sci-fi elements has never been my cup of tea.

That said, anything that gets the game out into the general populace's head space is a good thing, so best of luck with this.

Coredump

Explorer
Its pretty simple once you understand it.

It is an adventure path consisting of 8 adventures. (7 'main' adventures, and 1 'intro' adventure.)

Each of the Main adventures consists of 64pages of adventure, and 32 pages of crunch/fluff information. Those 32 pages will always cover the new creatures and the new planets; along with more general info pertinent to the entire campaign; such as religious groups, economy, equipment spells, feats, etc. There is even an episodic story presented.

My suggestion to LG is to combine the Bestiary/gazetteer/bonus stretch goals into a single stretch goal of 'bonus material' (or whatever catchy name you give it.) I think that will still leave plenty of stretch goals, and be less confusing for folks.

Transformer

Explorer
I'm very excited for this.

Pledges look a little confusing, as in I'm really not sure what I'm pledging for

Also, it seems almost too big an idea. Like trying to be so many kinds of cool all at the same time. It looks like a massive project, and I shudder at the amount of errata that 'might' be included in such a big venture. Of course this is nothing but a subjective view based on past decades of rpg purchase experiences - and not a true or accurate reflection on Legendary Planet, which may be errata free for all I know. Still, once bitten and all that. In any case, d&d with sci-fi elements has never been my cup of tea.

That said, anything that gets the game out into the general populace's head space is a good thing, so best of luck with this.

I suppose I can see how the pledge levels might be confusing, but they're no worse than most kickstarters, I think. It's a levels 1-20 adventure path, consisting of 8 adventures. $20 gets you the first 2 adventures as PDFs. $100 gets you all 8 adventures as PDFs. $140 gets you all 8 adventures as PDFs and a hardcover book. That's really all that matters.

I don't think the adventure path is too unfocused. "Sword and Planet" pretty much sums up everything it is. It is really a very specific focus, a very narrow kind of science fantasy.

I don't see why errata will be a problem either. My understanding is that the adventures will be released one at a time, in PDF format only. I assume any errata necessary can just be incorporated into an updated version of each PDF. The hardcover is not published until the end, and will presumably use the fully-errata'd version of each PDF. If they were publishing the 600 page hardcover immediately I think you'd be right to be scared, but as it is, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases