D&D 5E Legends & Lore 4/1/2013

Crazy Jerome

First Post
If you think what Pemerton is advocating is a focus on the tactical miniatures aspect of 4e, or player-DM antagonism, I don't think you've actually read his posts, let alone comprehended them.

This is something I've been saying for over a year, now; if you think the Tactical module is what Next needs to use to attract 4e players, you have a serious dearth of understanding about what 4e players want out of the game, IME (me, certainly, and I believe several other players on these boards, @pemerton included).

There is a line of thinking, apparently taught heavily in Universities these days in place of logic, that goes: That if enough people A assert often enough that other people B aren't doing what they think they are doing. Even when people B have been doing it for years and can talk about it amongst themselves, while A can't seem to even talk rationally about the concepts. And people A are self-confessed ignorant of the basic principles involved, lacking in any meaningful experience, and unwilling to change this. Yet, somehow A's opinions on the subject are worth listening to.

A's only useful function in such a subject--outside this strange, irrational but learned behavior--is to either make a real effort to engage the discussion on its own terms, shut up, or (ideally) go get enough experience to participate in the discussion. But the history of internet forums shows that if A talks enough, they can eventually achieve their purpose of drowning out all discussion of the subject--which in my more cynical moments I attribute as their aim.

Someone asked me not long ago where I had been. The answer is away from this insanity. If you guys ever find a place where the mods don't tolerate such nonsense to talk about gaming, then I'd like to converse with you there. Congratulations As. You turned the place into enough of a garbage pit that I'll leave you alone now. You win. Have fun in your echo chamber.

When you are up against the hard fact that a mod belongs on your ignore list but can't go there, it's time to leave. Sorry pemerton, Balesir, Abdul, Nemesis and the rest of those who know who you are. I can't stand it any more.

Last edited:

I just don't see what a DM brings to the table if he's not there to provide adaptive adjudication.

To frame scenes. To author backstory. To play NPCs and monsters. To contribute to the shared fiction by narrating colour. In many instances of action resolution, to adjudicate the details of the consequences (eg you failed your Diplomacy roll talking to the king - what happens as a result?).

Those are some of my main reasons. I'm sure others have others.

Pemerton has provided plenty above. To that I would include (i) represent dynamic fictional positioning, (ii) interpret player's cues when they are attempting to express their protagonism by imposing their will upon that fictional positioning in effort to change it to their advantage, (iii) maintain genre coherence, (iv) provide play complications/adversity/pressures that respect the sovereignty of mechanical resolution in combination with all of i-iii. This almost exclusively involves the ability to account for multiple vectors, some that lack high resolution or absolute precision, and improvise an appropriate response with respect to those inputs. See this play example, specifically the last two "panels" of the non-combat, conflict resolution scene and the ultimate resolution of follow-up conflict that arose from the present stakes and the outcome of the initial conflict.

Ainamacar

Adventurer
But characters going for their dramatic needs with every fibre of their being and us seeing what happens when they do IS the story! The players decide what their characters want, the GM decides what "the world" wants, they both go after it with gusto and the story arises when we see what happens as a result. How do you do meaningful RPG story generation in any other way? Even authors I've read talk about generating stories this way in their own minds; the protagonist has a dramatic need and tries to get it, the antagonist (be it a character, an organisation or the world) tries its damnedest to stop them and the story is what happens as a result. That's how stories are made.

The story arises when we see what happens, but there is more than one way to go about that process. Namely, both the means and the effects contribute. Determining which of these is "logically prior" to the other when resolving actions with respect to the fiction makes a key difference, I think. The relative freedom or constraints on the means and effects may also be different. I'll try to outline what I mean, hopefully giving a fair shake to both of what I think are the two major approaches.

With a stronger "simulation" (means have primacy over effects) bent, I think the process is rather as follows.
1) DM frames a situation, hopefully with enough detail that players have a reasonable idea of what "scene resources" (e.g. chandelier, burning fireplace) are or may be present.
2) The player/PC has high-level goals they would like to achieve. For example, moving an enemy into a vulnerable position.
3) The player/PC examines what in-world means are available for achieving these goals. Even mechanical abilities are considered in this light. Physical pushing is likely to result in movement, so pushing is a sensible thing to pursue. If none of the available means seem likely to succeed, go back to step 2. At this point the fictional means are essentially fixed.
4) The action is resolved, but the DM considers whether the in-world circumstances merit a bonus/penalty/other to the process. The DM tries very hard to be impartial about how the in-world circumstances are applied to the process. The DM also tries very hard to be impartial about any changes to effects (e.g. only half normal distance moved).

With a stronger 4e-like approach (effects have primacy over means) I think it looks more like:
1) DM frames a situation, hopefully with enough detail that players have a reasonable idea of what "scene resources" (e.g. chandelier, burning fireplace) are or may be present.
2) The player/PC has high-level goals they would like to achieve. For example, moving an enemy into a vulnerable position.
3) The player/PC examines what game-mechanics means are available for achieving these goals. If a suitable power fits, it is selected. If not, return to step 2 or examine whether a scene resource can justify a stand-in. At this point the (probabilistic) effects are generally fixed.
4) The action is resolved, and the player and/or DM optionally indicates how the effects correspond to the in-world actions the PC took. Both try very hard for this result to make sense within the fiction.

In the first approach the player has considerable freedom choosing means bounded by what they believe makes sense within the fiction, although this is, of course, informed by their mechanical abilities. The DM has considerable freedom choosing effects, bounded by the means the player has indicated. Proponents like that these means clearly precede effects from the perspective of both the player and the character, and that the mechanical effects will generally have an effortless correspondence to the fiction. There is a risk that the desired effect is foiled by a poor DM decision, but that is tolerable on occasion. In any case, it is worth it because through this process the player is empowered to see the fictional world through the eyes of their character.

In the second approach the player has considerable freedom choosing effects within the bounds of the character's mechanical abilities, but this is, of course, informed by the fictional scene. The player/DM then has considerable freedom choosing the means employed, bounded by the effects the player has chosen. Proponents like that the fictional means employed can be almost anything that reasonably leads to the result, which really induces creativity and variety. There is a risk of failing to create means that reasonably lead to the observed effect, but that is tolerable (or even convenient) on occasion. In any case, it is worth it because through this process the player is empowered to see the fictional world through the eyes of their character.

I've tried to present a neutral picture of how both these styles can enhance the game for those approaching with a suitable mindset. (And, of course, it is possible to prefer a mix. For example, preferring method 2 for situations where the mechanical results are already quite abstract, but method 1 where the results are intended to have a clear correspondence with the fiction. Or some players might play mostly with 2, but reject any hypothetical action for which they can't come up with an explicit justification.) I fall decidedly into the first camp in most cases, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

I'd be interested in seeing whether we could create a design pattern that lets the same basic rules work "natively" with either style. For example, a maneuver system that separates the means and the effects but lets a fighter focus on building up greater strength in one set or the other. The means-based mechanics might allow a broader total range of effects, for example, but relatively less control over what effects actually occur. Perhaps a fighter could train in "forced movement" (effect-primacy) or "man-handling" (means-primacy). The former would indicate relatively broad training to achieve specific goals, the latter would indicate focused training to achieve relatively broad goals. At high levels they might not actually be so different in overall capability, but because the process of arriving at an action is different it might feel distinct.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
There is a line of thinking, apparently taught heavily in Universities these days in place of logic, that goes: That if enough people A assert often enough that other people B aren't doing what they think they are doing. Even when people B have been doing it for years and can talk about it amongst themselves, while A can't seem to even talk rationally about the concepts. And people A are self-confessed ignorant of the basic principles involved, lacking in any meaningful experience, and unwilling to change this. Yet, somehow A's opinions on the subject are worth listening to.

A's only useful function in such a subject--outside this strange, irrational but learned behavior--is to either make a real effort to engage the discussion on its own terms, shut up, or (ideally) go get enough experience to participate in the discussion. But the history of internet forums shows that if A talks enough, they can eventually achieve their purpose of drowning out all discussion of the subject--which in my more cynical moments I attribute as their aim.

Someone asked me not long ago where I had been. The answer is away from this insanity. If you guys ever find a place where the mods don't tolerate such nonsense to talk about gaming, then I'd like to converse with you there. Congratulations As. You turned the place into enough of a garbage pit that I'll leave you alone now. You win. Have fun in your echo chamber.

When you are up against the hard fact that a mod belongs on your ignore list but can't go there, it's time to leave. Sorry pemerton, Balesir, Abdul, Nemesis and the rest of those who know who you are. I can't stand it any more.
I just want to say that I am deeply saddened by this, and yet, I understand your reasons fully. I did similar last year and only recently returned in the hope that things had improved. As you (and I, now) have discovered, they really haven't. Your insight and presence will be missed here. :/

Siberys

Adventurer
And I've pointed out that a computer is more than capable of doing any of the things he says a DM is necessary for in the absence of adaptive adjudication.

You show me a computer that can " interpret player's cues..." ( [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] ), and I'll show you a wolf that can juggle.

Remathilis

Legend
That''s really beside the point. What I was driving at was narrative control is not a player entitlement issue; it's more about allowing /greater/ story involvement - the opposite of some other poster's claims about 4e's story focus, and certainly counter to your assertions upthread. I like narrative control - and therefore want it in my game - because I feel it engenders the roleplaying I want to see in my D&D games. 4e delivers on that, and in the context of this discussion Next currently doesn't, and no amount of "Tactical Module" will change that.

Beside which, you've got a false comparison going on there; narrative control is not mechanical in the same sense that classless or dice-pool are mechanical. It has more to do with how you frame a PC's capabilities than those capabilities themselves.

See, here is where I find this argument ends up circular.

Control of what? the Players, assuming they are the protagonists of their own story (and the NPCs don't rule over them for gold and glory) already control the narrative. Their actions control the scene setting and pacing. Once the PCs leave the Tomb of Horrors, the DM doesn't continue to run that module. Barring certain circumstances (such as APs) the adventure IS the PCs story and they control it via their actions.

So the PCs already control the narrative. What this involves is the evolution of the rules trumping the DM's calling.

Here is question: A fighter tries to tumble under a giant's legs while wearing in plate mail. Can he do it?

The 1e DM says no.
The 2e DM says yes, but sets a difficulty which makes success very difficult.
The 3e DM says yes, but uses the armor's armor check penalty and tumble rules to determine its success.
The 4e DM says yes, as you have the "tumble in armor" power, its automatically successful for you every time.

I don't like the 1e DM any more than the 4e DM. My heart is somewhere between the 2e and 3e DM. The first is DM fiat at its extreme, the 4e is player entitlement.

Remathilis

Legend
You show me a computer that can " interpret player's cues..." ( @Manbearcat ), and I'll show you a wolf that can juggle.

"We want to go north."
Computer creates a northern map and fills it with encounters.
"I want a holy avenger"
Computer increases likelihood of holy avenger drops.
"I stab the king"
Computer initiates king combat sequence.
"I declare my undying love for the barmaid"
Computer runs "NPC romance" script.

Still not seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALN3ovyA12I

Remove ads