D&D 5E Legends & Lore 4/1/2013

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
"We want to go north."
Computer creates a northern map and fills it with encounters.

Aw, that's not completely fair, Remathilis. You know that's not what they mean.

...I'm abandoning this thread. I can't engage anything that's been said in the last page in a meaningful way that I haven't already tried and which doesn't involve violently shaking someone.

Hope to see you around elsewhere, Remathilis.

Last edited:

Siberys

Adventurer
[MENTION=78752]DMZ2112[/MENTION] , No, it's in the paragraph Manbearcat /wrote/, to which you were replying (post 345). That quote's quite pithy, too, with just the first line. Perhaps indicative of how much of the post you read? The full quote, found in post 342, is "...(ii) interpret player's cues when they are attempting to express their protagonism by imposing their will upon that fictional positioning in effort to change it to their advantage..."

[MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION] , way to be disingenuous. :erm:

pemerton

Legend
I'd phrase it as "control" instead of "involvement"
That seems fair to me. In some other recent posts I've started to talk about "joint creation" of the fiction. Which is (I think) gesturing in the same direction as you.

"narrative control" is synonymous with "I do what I want regardless of how much sense it makes."
I don't think that's what [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] meant. It's not what I meant.

You've framed it in ingame terms - the "I" in your sentence is spoken by the PC, talking about the PC's success or failure with the PC's actions.

But narrative control isn't an ingame thing. It's a metagame thing. It's about who gets to determine the content of the shared fiction. Different rules can distribute this power in different ways among the participants. 4e does it differently from (say) 3E, or 2nd ed AD&D, and gives more of that power to the players.

That has no real bearing on the ingame question of whether or not the PCs achieve their goals. It's perfectly possible to have a game with a high degree of player narrative control yet a high degree of PC failure (I've GMed a Rolemaster game that had this feature; I think quite a bit of Burning Wheel could go this way too.

First off, its primary function is to neuter DM control of his game as rule-arbiter (referee) and shielding yourself in the "Almighty Letter of the Rules" to justify never losing, or even the illusion of letting your character be in danger.

Can't use your favorite tripping attack because you're facing an arthropod? BOOM! Rules says I can trip anything!
But only once per encounter. That is, the mechanism of limitation is different. So provided you need to trip twice per encounter, you'll still be in danger, and might even lose.

The logical extension of the battle between player and DM for narrative control ends up with DM, no longer rule arbiter <snippage> the DM becomes one thing: monster-runner.
There's no battle; at least not at my table. There's a distribution of roles.

But characters going for their dramatic needs with every fibre of their being and us seeing what happens when they do IS the story!
This.

The story arises when we see what happens, but there is more than one way to go about that process.

<snip>

With a stronger "simulation" (means have primacy over effects) bent, I think the process is rather as follows.

<snip>

3) The player/PC examines what in-world means are available for achieving these goals. Even mechanical abilities are considered in this light. Physical pushing is likely to result in movement, so pushing is a sensible thing to pursue. If none of the available means seem likely to succeed, go back to step 2. At this point the fictional means are essentially fixed.
4) The action is resolved, but the DM considers whether the in-world circumstances merit a bonus/penalty/other to the process. The DM tries very hard to be impartial about how the in-world circumstances are applied to the process. The DM also tries very hard to be impartial about any changes to effects (e.g. only half normal distance moved).

With a stronger 4e-like approach (effects have primacy over means) I think it looks more like:

<snip>

3) The player/PC examines what game-mechanics means are available for achieving these goals. If a suitable power fits, it is selected. If not, return to step 2 or examine whether a scene resource can justify a stand-in. At this point the (probabilistic) effects are generally fixed.
4) The action is resolved, and the player and/or DM optionally indicates how the effects correspond to the in-world actions the PC took. Both try very hard for this result to make sense within the fiction.
That seems fair to me.

The technical term I use for your second approach (which I learned at The Forge) is "fortune in the middle" ie in the middle of the narration - your (4) captures that, because we resolve first and narrate second. The phrase I learnd from [MENTION=54877]Crazy Jerome[/MENTION] to describe your first approach is "process simulation".

One rationale of fortune-in-the-middle is to give the player a bigger role in creating the fiction around their character - instead of "trying", and perhaps having the resolution make them look like a chump, we resolve first and then retrofit the narrative around that - so the reason for success or failure can be narrated afterwards, and preserve the players' authorship of his her character (eg I didn't miss becaue I suck - I missed because I'm so awesome, that I'm duelling with someone who's even more awesome than me, and therefore beat me!)

You also correctly note that it can be a weakness of a fortune in the middle approach that it may not actually force us to finish off the narration, and thus the fiction becomes "gappy" and we potentially degenerate into a boardgame rather than RPG. That's why I think getting the role of keywords, p 42 etc right is pretty important. And why I think the sometimes-derided 4e battlemat is actually pretty signifcant for providing an anchor to the fiction that 4e is really responsive to (like position, terrain etc). Another technique I use, as a GM, to make sure we push through with the narration is to have the responses of the NPCs/monsters to reflect (even if it's just in their witty dialogue) the after-the-dice-roll narration of what happened.

pemerton

Legend
If you think what Pemerton is advocating is a focus on the tactical miniatures aspect of 4e, or player-DM antagonism, I don't think you've actually read his posts, let alone comprehended them.
Thanks.

Someone asked me not long ago where I had been. The answer is away from this insanity. If you guys ever find a place where the mods don't tolerate such nonsense to talk about gaming, then I'd like to converse with you there.

<snip>

When you are up against the hard fact that a mod belongs on your ignore list but can't go there, it's time to leave. Sorry pemerton, Balesir, Abdul, Nemesis and the rest of those who know who you are. I can't stand it any more.
No worries. Sometimes I have a similar feeling. But it's a pity - the discussions on this forum around design, playstyle, what different systems can and can't do (including 4e, of course!) have not only been interesting but have made a significant difference to my game!

So farewell, and enjoy the real world!

Remathilis

Legend
But narrative control isn't an ingame thing. It's a metagame thing. It's about who gets to determine the content of the shared fiction. Different rules can distribute this power in different ways among the participants. 4e does it differently from (say) 3E, or 2nd ed AD&D, and gives more of that power to the players.

Call me old fashioned, but where I come from Metagame is a BAD thing. Metagame is the opposite of verisimilitude, as one requires you to think about the action on stage and the other the wires that control the puppets.

Which is why this argument ends up circular. The PCs control the grand narrative (its their story). They often control the driving narrative (their choices influence the direction of the story) and increasingly they want to control the minutiae of the refereeing as well.

The latter is illustrated in the concept that the player doesn't want to bull rush the giant; he has a high degree of failure because of size and strength. He wants the power that lets him do it regardless of size, strength, shape, or any other logical factors of resistance AND do his regular damage to boot.

You call it narrative control, I call it player entitlement. They want the benefit of pushing the giant around the board, but don't want the obvious chance of failure a bull rush system (with its checks against strength entail). Oh, and I the DM have to justify why my giant is being chased around the board 5 feet at a time by a 6' dude in armor and a shield. (cue the Benny Hill theme.)

That has no real bearing on the ingame question of whether or not the PCs achieve their goals. It's perfectly possible to have a game with a high degree of player narrative control yet a high degree of PC failure (I've GMed a Rolemaster game that had this feature; I think quite a bit of Burning Wheel could go this way too.

Having no experience with BW, I can't comment on that. I did in 4e PCs with little to fear in the way of death. Assuming the challenge was "appropriate" I don't think I ever saw a group fail unless the d20 was exceptionally cruel of all members. Foes did too little damage, PCs had too much hp.

But only once per encounter. That is, the mechanism of limitation is different. So provided you need to trip twice per encounter, you'll still be in danger, and might even lose.

So by artificially limiting a PCs actions in hand to what is on his power sheet vs. giving them usable combat actions at will, you automatically doomed said group rather than give that fighter the 1 in 20 shot of saving them?

There's no battle; at least not at my table. There's a distribution of roles.

Nor is there one at mine. But my players assume that since I am the GM, my ruling is law at my table and I could (in theory) throw the PHB in the trash and the game could keep running. Your DM is bound by the letter and spirit of the rules, mine IS the rules.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Control of what? the Players, assuming they are the protagonists of their own story (and the NPCs don't rule over them for gold and glory) already control the narrative. Their actions control the scene setting and pacing. Once the PCs leave the Tomb of Horrors, the DM doesn't continue to run that module. Barring certain circumstances (such as APs) the adventure IS the PCs story and they control it via their actions.

This reminds me of the cartoons in 1E products with monsters hanging around waiting for the adventurers to return to the dungeon. It's funny how some people that decry the lack of verisimilitude in games with player narrative control can ignore the fact that verisimilitude is shattered by the mere fact that the rest of the game world stops when the camera is turned off.

You leave my Tomb of Horrors and Acererak will continue plotting. Maybe send trouble the party's way. Maybe attack the nearest innocent village in retaliation. Act according to his goals even if the party takes a coffee break.

Obryn

Hero
You leave my Tomb of Horrors and Acererak will continue plotting. Maybe send trouble the party's way. Maybe attack the nearest innocent village in retaliation. Act according to his goals even if the party takes a coffee break.
I'm pretty darn sure that's how everyone runs D&D, except for the very most casual of single-session pick-up games. Say, Encounters or convention games.

Probably the best illustration of this I can think of nowadays is in Dungeon World. The "fronts" system is a great framework to hang a campaign around.

-O

Li Shenron

Legend
Here is question: A fighter tries to tumble under a giant's legs while wearing in plate mail. Can he do it?

The 1e DM says no.
The 2e DM says yes, but sets a difficulty which makes success very difficult.
The 3e DM says yes, but uses the armor's armor check penalty and tumble rules to determine its success.
The 4e DM says yes, as you have the "tumble in armor" power, its automatically successful for you every time.

I don't like the 1e DM any more than the 4e DM. My heart is somewhere between the 2e and 3e DM. The first is DM fiat at its extreme, the 4e is player entitlement.

These are good examples, but I would like to point out that rather than different editions these corresponds better to different gamestyles.

I could see myself doing any of the above, in different campaigns settings:

- In a game where PCs are "normal people + magic", meaning they have access to spells and magic items, but when not using them they're still bound to what any real human would be capable of, I'd say no
- In a game where PCs are at least VIPs of their world but still realistic, I'll give them a chance, and whether it's a made up roll (case 2) or a detailed system (case 3) depends on how much the game was decided to be rules-light or rules-heavy
- In a game where PCs are a cut above normal people anyway, "heroes" like in comics or movies (which aren't like real humans really), I can go with case 4

If there is a problem, is that anyone who takes the role of a DM often has one gamestyle in mind but (a) fails to check if the edition/system being used supports that gamestyle well enough, and (b) fails to communicate the choice of gamestyle to the players before playing.

This is when you get arguments at the gaming table, because if the group has not agreed beforehand, each player will have different expectations, most likely each of them will expect that their favourite gamestyle will be used, because some gamers haven't even ever tried to consider that their favourite gamestyle isn't THE gamestyle or the best of them but simply just their favourite.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
These are good examples, but I would like to point out that rather than different editions these corresponds better to different gamestyles.

I could see myself doing any of the above, in different campaigns settings:

- In a game where PCs are "normal people + magic", meaning they have access to spells and magic items, but when not using them they're still bound to what any real human would be capable of, I'd say no
- In a game where PCs are at least VIPs of their world but still realistic, I'll give them a chance, and whether it's a made up roll (case 2) or a detailed system (case 3) depends on how much the game was decided to be rules-light or rules-heavy
- In a game where PCs are a cut above normal people anyway, "heroes" like in comics or movies (which aren't like real humans really), I can go with case 4

If there is a problem, is that anyone who takes the role of a DM often has one gamestyle in mind but (a) fails to check if the edition/system being used supports that gamestyle well enough, and (b) fails to communicate the choice of gamestyle to the players before playing.

This is when you get arguments at the gaming table, because if the group has not agreed beforehand, each player will have different expectations, most likely each of them will expect that their favourite gamestyle will be used, because some gamers haven't even ever tried to consider that their favourite gamestyle isn't THE gamestyle or the best of them but simply just their favourite.
I'm very much inclined to agree with you, though as I understand it, his initial comment on the matter paints that entire playstyle as one of player entitlement, not something exclusive to 4e. It's just easier to point at 4e because it does that playstyle pretty weill, whether one finds merit in it or not.

Balesir

Adventurer
Well, there are other forums for those games, none of which I play.
When you make the statement that you are "not talking about D&D4 here" but that "this is pure roleplaying theory", can you not see that reference to other roleplaying systems will be a natural and essential element of any response to your comments?

Remove ads