D&D 5E Legends & Lore 4/1/2013

Blackwarder

Adventurer
It's Monday again and this week we got a new L&L, grab it while it's hot but take anything you read with a grain of salt, you know whats today is :D

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130401

Brief Summery:

• Mines of Madness out later today, you are advised to use the pregens and not get too attached to them because it's a brutal one but with a sense of humor.
  • Tiers of play: Apprentice, Adventurer and Legacy.
  • Apprentice - current level 1 will become 3rd level and levels and two new levels will be slotted into each class, no specialities and gradual adding of class abilities. the proluge to your adventuring career this tier will be mostly linear with not much of customizations. you are expected to level in this tier every game session.
  • Adventurer - span the next 12 levels from 3rd-15th, will be what most of us think about it, will offer lots of customizations and in story terms the characters will begin to make names for them selves. you are expected to level in this tier approximately every 2 sessions.
  • Legacy - span the last 5 levels 16th-20th, in this tier the characters will become the movers and shakers of the game world. you are expected to level in this tier every 3 sessions.

Personally, I would prefer it if they drop the "expected to level every X sessions" it's the first step on the road of entitlement and I would much rather have it nipped in the bud, I think that player advancement rate should have it's own subsection in the DMG with all the different methods of earning XP.

Other than that it seems interesting enough, I imagine that the apprentice tier will be what you will multiclass into in the future multiclass rules as a way to avoid front loading class and avoid the dipping effect of 3rd edition.

Warder

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Is this article an April Fools joke? I honestly can't tell.

Assuming it is not, I don't like this "apprentice tier" thing at all. If they really want to support "apprentice" characters, they should have optional rules for playing 0th level characters.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Is this article an April Fools joke? I honestly can't tell.

Assuming it is not, I don't like this "apprentice tier" thing at all. If they really want to support "apprentice" characters, they should have optional rules for playing 0th level characters.

Whats the difference between calling those levels 1st and 2nd levels or 1st apprentice level and 2nd apprentice level?
Considering that the option to start from 3rd level will be in the rules from the get go?

Warder

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Whats the difference between calling those levels 1st and 2nd levels or 1st apprentice level and 2nd apprentice level?
Considering that the option to start from 3rd level will be in the rules from the get go?

Because they're taking what is 1st level right now and making you get that stuff gradually up to level 3. IMO, classes already are fairly lacking in interesting options at 1st level, and now they want to make us wait 3 levels just to get that? And considering the (IMO) extremely rapid rate that they suggest for leveling, I'd rather not have to start at level 3.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
As I said above, I think it's their way of avoiding 3rd ed multiclassing problem. And again, I don't understand whats the problem of starting in 3rd level?

Warder

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Another thing, I thought that a character's background was supposed to represent his time before becoming an adventurer. Wasn't that the "apprentice" period in the character's life? How do you explain your character being a knight if he's just an apprentice?

Bluenose

Adventurer
So what sort of monsters are the "Apprentice" folk going to face? If they're the current ones, then do they have the tools to handle that? Do you get a background, or will your Apprentice start off with no skills at all? From an in-game perspective, who employs the obviously untrained to perform difficult and dangerous tasks for them? This looks like a half-thought-through idea if I've ever seen one. It can be done - Dungeon Crawl Classics does it - but it's not just a matter of throwing out class parts and saying you're done.

Remove ads