D&D 5E I think Wizards balances classes using damage on a single target nova over 3 rounds.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
I propose WoTC makes a different class for every synonym of the word Fighter, so everyone can get what they want.

qMIGVmm.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have y'all oconsidered how astounding it is that a Level 5 Fighter can let off 20 arrows from a Longbow in a minute with tremendous accuracy...? Do you know how Olympians compare to that...? And they can do thst all day, every day, no consequences.

The 5E Fighter is superhuman, when you.look at what they can do.

Zubatcarteira

The current Fighter is superhuman, but mostly so through the general game mechanics, not anything the class does in particular. Anyone can grapple a rhinocerous, or kill a building sized lizard with a sharp stick, or survive a nuke-meteor to the face, it's just how grappling, attacks and HP work in the game.

A Monk can grab a bullet out of the air, a Rogue can dodge lightning, the right Barbarian subclass can be unkillable, those are superhuman things they can do that aren't just stuff anyone else can with the right numbers. I think the best the Fighter has in that regard is Second Wind, going from nearly dead to full hp at early levels is some Wolverine stuff, and a good Action Surge is a lot of attacks (impressive mostly with bows, crossbows and stuff, even 8 sword strikes in 6 seconds doesn't seem too crazy to me).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That just robs players of a full class' worth options.

You can keep your version of the fighter while those of us who prefer equitable play can have a version that is equitable and you can ban it from your games the same way I banned Dragonmarks in my games.
Yeah, since the current fighter will still exist, and will likely change very little in 2024 anyway, I do t think any of this will make a difference as far as WotC is concerned.

What we should be doing is either suggesting a 3pp mythic martial for folks, or using the local think tank to make one.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The current Fighter is superhuman, but mostly so through the general game mechanics, not anything the class does in particular.
I have, in fact, said that this is the exact problem with the 5e Fighter for many years.

It is relegated to getting small, almost always passive, bonuses to stuff everyone does frequently. And the Champion is the worst of the bunch, by a long margin, not because it is simple, but because it is weak. Really weak. Even for a (5e) Fighter. And we can see that reflected in the "One D&D" playtest...though the updates are far from enough to bring it up to par.

And the Champion is the worst of the bunch, by a long margin, not because it is simple, but because it is weak. Really weak. Even for a (5e) Fighter. And we can see that reflected in the "One D&D" playtest...though the updates are far from enough to bring it up to par.
honestly you could plug all the champion features directly into the fighter chassis and it wouldn't change much.

Zubatcarteira

I have, in fact, said that this is the exact problem with the 5e Fighter for many years.

It is relegated to getting small, almost always passive, bonuses to stuff everyone does frequently. And the Champion is the worst of the bunch, by a long margin, not because it is simple, but because it is weak. Really weak. Even for a (5e) Fighter. And we can see that reflected in the "One D&D" playtest...though the updates are far from enough to bring it up to par.
In my first D&D game the DM allowed a book with weapon upgrades we could buy, so everyone was running around with weapons that crit on a 19, wasn't too crazy, crits aren't all that most of the time.

Remove ads