• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Known Movies Worth Seeing

haiiro

First Post
I'd put Zero Effect, Secretary, The Arrival and The Minus Man solidly in this category -- quietly good, and I think largely off the radar. I've probably watched The Arrival 15 times -- I mean, how can you go wrong with Charlie Sheen as a radio astronomer/action hero? ;)

DaveStebbins

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Kill Bill makes so much more sense once you've watched Circle Of Iron.

I didn't know it was out on DVD yet. My thanks.
I didn't know that either. Given that my VHS recording of the movie off HBO is probably over two decades old by now, I should probably get the DVD.

I'll also recommend Second Hand Lions, I watched it with friends just last night.

To add one that hasn't been mentioned, I loved The Magic Christian when I first saw it, but that was also decades ago. Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr and a cameo by Racquel Welch as a whip-wielding dominatrix-clad galley slave work master.

cuteasaurus

First Post
The_Universe said:
Are you kidding? I almost shiv'ed out my own eyes half-way through that monstrosity.

Which, by the way, stars Mark Hamill and the big-game hunter guy who gets eaten by Raptors in Jurassic Park.

As for my own recommendations for good movies, I'll put in Grosse Point Blank with John Cusack.

Slipsteam...absolutely not. I am saddened to say I subjected my friends (including The_Universe- sorry about that) to that movie before I knew how bad it was. Don't watch it. Even if you're curious...stay away...

On an upnote, Boondock Saints is Hilarious and they're making a second one... :)

Rackhir

Explorer
The Arrival definitely doesn't belong, it might not be a pos, but it is a definite B-grade film. Much as "Barb-Wire" is the one true guilty pleasure of mine, I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who wouldn't appreciate it's two main assets, well three if you count Pamela's sneering while wearing tight black leather outfits.

Streets of Fire BTW was the inspiration for the rock concert at the begining of the Original Bubblegum Crisis OVA.

der_kluge

Adventurer
fredramsey said:
Circle of Iron. Recently came out on DVD. It is a film about Zen that Bruce Lee wanted to make, and I think wrote the story. Very obscure, very cool, IMHO.

Probably one of my most favorite movies of all time. I didn't know it was on DVD. Thanks for the tip.

Karl Green

First Post
Well lots of the movies that I like have already been mentioned. Right now, only cause I got the DVD this weekend, I would suggested Shaun of the Dead - a romantic comic, with Zombies!

NuclearWookiee

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Slipsteam...absolutely not. I am saddened to say I subjected my friends (including The_Universe- sorry about that) to that movie before I knew how bad it was. Don't watch it. Even if you're curious...stay away...

On an upnote, Boondock Saints is Hilarious and they're making a second one... :)

Good girl. *pat pat*

cuteasaurus

First Post
:eek: Thanks...

Also, Shaun of the Dead...even several viewings later is funny stuff. The scene in the backyard involving records as weapons is pure comedic gold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads