• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Known Movies Worth Seeing

Rackhir

Explorer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
So far as my own little known flick that I think everyone should see: Magnolia.

It's a very long film - so much so that you may consider it an "obligation," but Tom Cruise's performance is well worth every second. If you have ever thought he was just a crappy actor, I urge you to watch it and tell me that the man doesn't have talent.

I'm not sure any film staring Tom Cruse and a cast of major stars can accurately be refered to as "Little known".

Rackhir said:
I'm not sure any film staring Tom Cruse and a cast of major stars can accurately be refered to as "Little known".
On many, many occasions when I list it as one of my favorite films people say "What is that? I've never heard of it."

But, I suppose, maybe I'm discussing film with the wrong people. ::shrug:: :)

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Slipsteam...absolutely not. I am saddened to say I subjected my friends (including The_Universe- sorry about that) to that movie before I knew how bad it was. Don't watch it. Even if you're curious...stay away...

On an upnote, Boondock Saints is Hilarious and they're making a second one... :)
You still owe me for that! CURSE YOU!

Fast Learner

First Post
You Slipstream naysayers just don't know good and truly enjoyable cheese when you see it, especially from a DM point of view. Man, I sitll have fond memories.

And Magnolia is, indeed, one of the finest films ever made (and not in a cheese sense). It is about, to me, how interrelated we all are, how the choices we make every day -- even little choices -- have a big effect on the world.

It's not unlike Altman's Short Cuts in that sense, or the recent release Crash, but it's much better than either, imo. Anderson pulls performances out of these fine actors that are beyond what you expect from any of them, Cruise, Macy, and Moore included. Plus it's got Ricky Jay, and everything is improved my a little Ricky Jay.

(Well, maybe not everything, but you know, everything cinematic.)

Hijinks

First Post
Tom Cruise's performance is well worth every second. If you have ever thought he was just a crappy actor, I urge you to watch it and tell me that the man doesn't have talent.
I never thought he didn't have talent; I did, and do still, think he's a smarmy weasel. I'm torn between wanting to see "War of the Worlds" because of the history of the story and the special effects, and not seeing it because his face is gonna be in mine the whole time. Bleh.

I'll second Memento ... awesome film!

Also though the title will be familiar, the version may not be to many: The Count of Monte Cristo starring Guy Pearce and Jim Caviezel. My favorite book, acted out by beautiful boys, how could I say no....

Hijinks said:
I never thought he didn't have talent; I did, and do still, think he's a smarmy weasel.

Oh! I agree completely! And - in Magnolia he just plays it up. He's smarmier than EVER. You absolutely hate his character.

So - maybe his performance is so good b/c he's not really acting. Either way, it's a good, good flick.

Ryltar said:
Two movies I dig:

"Memento" - ever tried to watch a film that is basically backwards, only the scenes are forwards? Great imagery, nice story, and absolutely mind-blowing concept.

"Donnie Darko" - can't describe that film. It's just weird, but pure genius. One of the films that makes you think.

We should start watching moves together Ryltar. My two favourite movies of all time.

For a intriguing movie of a different vein, look for the American Release of "Night Watch" later this summer...an absorbing horror film and the top grossing Russian made film of all time.

Storm Raven

First Post
I wouldn't have thought it as lesser known until recently, but then I met several people who had never heard of it: The Magnificent Seven. It is especially interesting to watch it back to back with The Seven Samurai.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
merztrumpet: You can come over and watch movies at our house any time. You'll like our collection.

Wild Zero is like the greatest movie ever. EVER. It's like the director reached inside my head, found EVERYTHING I think is cool, and put it in a movie.

"AAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!! RRRROOCCCKKK AAANNNDDD RRRROOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!"

I would pick Peking Opera Blues over Zu, myself. But I wouldn't consider either very obscure films -- they're two of the biggest hits in HK history. I just think POB holds up better.

Go read my blog, dude. We speak the same language. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads