Blog (A5E) Let’s Look At Combat Maneuvers

One of our goals with Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition was to create a more tactical combat system. But it was very important to us that we not create a more difficult combat system. Which is why our combat maneuvers are a buffet of over 150 bite-sized options, not unlike spells. Combat maneuvers are nonmagical. https://www.levelup5e.com/news/lets-look-at-combat-maneuvers

One of our goals with Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition was to create a more tactical combat system. But it was very important to us that we not create a more difficult combat system. Which is why our combat maneuvers are a buffet of over 150 bite-sized options, not unlike spells. Combat maneuvers are nonmagical.

1.jpg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I like it!

As an aside, I thought it was pretty clear how charge worked, but it wouldn't hurt to point out that you can still move before or after, sure.

dave2008

Legend
That feels a little weird, nomenclature-wise. It would feel better to either spend stamina, or gain exertion. Spending exertion feels like spending damage. But that's a minor thing.
Hmm. I disagree. You gain exhaustion, but not exertion IMO. At least I would never say that (gain exertion) - it feels awkward. I exert myself. It is something I am doing, I am acting. It feels more accurate, to me, to spend it rather than to gain it as you suggest, but I agree that spending stamina sounds better.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That feels a little weird, nomenclature-wise. It would feel better to either spend stamina, or gain exertion. Spending exertion feels like spending damage. But that's a minor thing.
Exertion points, not exertion. They measure your ability to exert yourself. When you exert yourself you spend exertion points. When you run out of exertion points you have to rest before exerting yourself again.

Rhuarc

Explorer
I definitely approve of going in this direction with bringing more tactical options and variety to martial combat, have been implementing similar rules in my games for years now to counteract the rather boring options characters have with the basic rules alone.
I hope to see something similar (if in a reduced fashion) for some spellcasting classes as well. It's just frustrating to watch your Warlock player, for example, cast Eldritch Blast for the 5th time in a row because they lack any other options during combat with their limited spell slots available. Having access to some alternative actions would be great to see.

Horwath

Legend
The word 'speed' isn't there because the maneuver has nothing to do with your movement before or after using it, aside from what it explicitly forbids (using the Dash action).
Is there any reason to "ban" Dash action in combination with charge maneuver?

Both use your Action normally so they are exclusive?

Why rogues take a hit with their class features if they take this maneuver?

Also why is fixed at 30ft move? should it not reflect your character base speed? Why punish characters that invested in their movement?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's just frustrating to watch your Warlock player, for example, cast Eldritch Blast for the 5th time in a row because they lack any other options during combat with their limited spell slots available. Having access to some alternative actions would be great to see.
In 5 minutes you might see something that interests you...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I got you, so I could technically move 30 ft (activate charge to move 30 more feet and then get an attack). In that case its perfectly fine.
I don't see how it's even technically, I don't see another valid interpretation. The maneuver is giving you 30' of movement as an action, over and above your normal movement. It's Dash + one attack as an action, with some caveats. (Caveats being Dash is movement rate, not a fixed 30', and the 30' of movement before the attack must be in a straight line.)

I'd probably argue that the Dash restriction isn't really necessary, since getting 3x movement is already possible in the core rules for rogues. Getting 3x movement plus one attack seems fine for exertion points, especially since Charge + move + BA Disengage will generally be better for melee rogues.

Remove ads

Remove ads