Blog (A5E) Let’s Look At Combat Maneuvers

One of our goals with Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition was to create a more tactical combat system. But it was very important to us that we not create a more difficult combat system. Which is why our combat maneuvers are a buffet of over 150 bite-sized options, not unlike spells. Combat maneuvers are nonmagical. https://www.levelup5e.com/news/lets-look-at-combat-maneuvers

One of our goals with Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition was to create a more tactical combat system. But it was very important to us that we not create a more difficult combat system. Which is why our combat maneuvers are a buffet of over 150 bite-sized options, not unlike spells. Combat maneuvers are nonmagical.

1.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How does that work with effects that cause exhaustion (path of berserker/sickening radiance) given that level up is meant to be backwards compatible with o5e?

Also with all due respect, Morrus - hit points is a term prevalent throughout the gaming industry. Most gamers understand they represent the character's health/life/ability to stay in combat/whatever other term you prefer and are thus a resource that is used up. Exertion points have no such legacy to tap into.
Sure. I was just explaining our thinking, not trying to persuade you of anything. YMMV, and all that.

It's not really that different from the list of "powers" that martial classes had in 4E.

Until now my heart was poor and suffered from a lack of cool combat moves. But, lo! 4E has risen again! :melee::close: 🥳 Praise be to Level Up and all who breathed new life into martial powers! Let my fighter unleash Bowling Blitzes, let my barbarian deal Death Blows! Let my warlord... oh... nevermind.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I liked the concept of maneuvers as a short list of additional tools in your toolbox.

Starfinder has them, but the DC for them is so hard that they're useless unless you get feats specifically for them. In other games, it's often more worthwhile to just attack every turn.

So, I would have been interested in an interesting set of maneuvers that gave more opportunities to martial classes.

However, having a list of 150 or so maneuvers is really too much in my opinion. It's not really that different from the list of "powers" that martial classes had in 4E.

A shove is a shove. It is what it says and every character that's athletic enough should be able to do it. Obviously, a stronger or more dexterous character should do it better. But what is Bloody Roar? What is Bowling Blitz? It's basically a spell without spell slots. 4E did that, Starfinder does that, 5E does not.

As opposed to much of what was shared so far, this is not something I would bring at my table. It adds complexity in having to pick in this list, managing one more resource, then remembering the details of what Bowling Blitz is supposed to be, and it does not lean into something that's different for martial classes as opposed to casters.
Advanced 5E probably isn't the game for you. That's OK. :)

Argyle King

Legend
I think spending "exertion" makes sense. It reminds me of how GURPS has FP (fatigue points,) which can be spent to do things like "heroic charge" (if you're using those optional rules). I'm away from books, but I think GURPS calls it "extra effort."

As presented, the idea here looks similar to late 3E Book of 9 Swords and what eventually morphed into D&D 4E.

I'm curious to see how classes such as the monk interact with this system. In my head, I could imagine a fight subclass gaining access to a second fighting discipline from which to choose options.

I think the challenge is going to be balancing the power/usefulness of the various choices against each other. In 4E, there were more than a few levels at which one choice was clearly the best choice of power option.

Remove ads

Remove ads