D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Is every monster statblock supposed to come with a list of other monsters that they pair well with then, all to ease the burden on the "new DM" that doesn't know any better?

The idea of pairing a fey earth spirit with other fey and/or earth spirits isn't exactly a huge leap to make...
Not a terrible idea, no. Certainly if it used to have that information, a replacement book should still have it. Otherwise, you have demonstrably fewer evident options.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because it's highly unlikely that any but the very newest players will only have this book to go on. There is a ton of online support through reddit and other forums, blogs, and videos or podcasts, or even just personally knowing more experienced gamers. And if someone is so new and inexperienced as to not realize they can change monsters as they like, then it's possibly better for them to not have a more complex monster to confuse them. Once they gain experience, they'll be able to change what they like on their own.

Don't forget that throughout (A)D&D's long history, monsters were rarely complex in a good way. They either had very little to go on or were given confusing or boring abilities. And yet, many DMs have been able to play them well. So don't write them off now.
Anyone who starts playing at 2024 will be starting with these new, anemic monster books. New people will start there, and they will have less to work with, and their ganes may very well be poorer than they would otherwise be.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Anyone who starts playing at 2024 will be starting with these new, anemic monster books. New people will start there, and they will have less to work with, and their ganes may very well be poorer than they would otherwise be.
And... you just ignored everything I said.

You're selling new DMs short. If anything, DMs have more resources for making encounters interesting today than they ever did before (for instance, the "The Monsters Know What They're Doing" blog). And when it comes down to it, what's really needed for making a fun encounter isn't monster abilities but the the DM's role playing skills and willingness to use monster tactics.

And as I said before, gamers started out with new no resources and the anemic 1e MM or the monsters listed in 0e books, and they managed fine.

And... you just ignored everything I said.

You're selling new DMs short. If anything, DMs have more resources for making encounters interesting today than they ever did before (for instance, the "The Monsters Know What They're Doing" blog). And when it comes down to it, what's really needed for making a fun encounter isn't monster abilities but the the DM's role playing skills and willingness to use monster tactics.

And as I said before, gamers started out with new no resources and the anemic 1e MM or the monsters listed in 0e books, and they managed fine.
when I started running in 2e I had some major advantages. I had someone sharing big binders of MM pages. I also bought a starter box with advice. However I STILL had to learn what went with what.

I still remember no understanding why gold dragons had to be good, and why my pitched 'gold dragon with a hoard of hobgoblins terrorizing a kingdom' made the guy who had experienced with d&D's eyes budged out...

it was tenish years later and hobgoblin and hippogriff were on pages next to each other on the MM1. I put them together SO many times in 3e and even later in 4e... and still do in 5e.

Remove ads