D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Weiley31

Legend
The class tags are wildly inconsistent and practically pointless. I guess it lets you know a blackguard can use a holy avenger, but it really doesn't give us any expectation on what the NPC's abilities are. Saying that an NPC is a cleric, a warlock or a sorcerer doesn't seem to imply anything about them. If it barely means anything to the classes that have defined spell lists and magical features, I can certainly see what it doesn't for classes that are basically different variants of "hits you with sword".
Stuff like that just means it can give DMs ideas on how to rearrange things when it comes to certain stat blocks. For examples, any of the Warlock NPC stat blocks or even the Oriq Blood Mages/Oriq Recruiters, from Strixhaven, can be given fun stuff. Like Eldritch Blast and a few invocations. Like Agonizing Blast. Roll up stats for a Boss version of the Warlock stat blocks and if you get a high number to assign for Charisma. Well, multiple 1D10 Force Damage for everybody!

Great for Bar Mitzvah's too!

Remathilis

Legend
that’s all it’s supposed to mean
Seems redundant. I mean, if you can make an NPC who wears half-plate, wields a scimitar, can cast fireball, cure wounds, entangle and hunger of Hadar, and still call that a sorcerer, you can let them use a +1 bloodwell vial too. We've long abandoned the realm of class identity.

I keep imagining that those tags will interact with the rules on a more than superficial level. Maybe in 5.5 or whatever. But for now, they just seem to say, "despite this npc not having much in common with the class, this is in fact a cleric."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Seems redundant. I mean, if you can make an NPC who wears half-plate, wields a scimitar, can cast fireball, cure wounds, entangle and hunger of Hadar, and still call that a sorcerer, you can let them use a +1 bloodwell vial too. We've long abandoned the realm of class identity.

I keep imagining that those tags will interact with the rules on a more than superficial level. Maybe in 5.5 or whatever. But for now, they just seem to say, "despite this npc not having much in common with the class, this is in fact a cleric."
The use of class tags in Monster stat blocks, and Race group tags for some PC choices (Elves, Dwarves, Gith, amd Goblinoids at least), I think theynhave some ideas for those tags.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Marut (MToF)​

Maruts are Inevitibles, created by Primus, for the purpose of enforcing contracts. And at a Legendary CR 25, they have plenty of force to enforce them with. It should be noted, however, that lethal force is the last option they will pursue (Unless it is stated differently in said contract), and they do possess both social skills and the ability to understand any language. It would be perfectly reasonable for a Marut to show up, crack open a safe, and then take some material possession back to the Hall of Concordance in Sigil, in order to satisfy a contract between two parties.

Maruts only care about the letter of the law, and not what either party thought they were saying. Making them into a sort of puzzle monster. A particularly clever group of PCs might be able to “trick” a Marut with some word-play. Or not, they are a universal polyglot using a contract that can be written in any combination of all known languages, after all.

The Marut possesses attacks that do not require rolling. Which is unique for D&D, and is possibly the most clever use of mechanics to represent a theme in the game. Instead they simply automatically hit, and automatically deal damage, should they choose to do so. Their slams automatically push, but they also have an AoE, which can stun (they really missed the opportunity to make this stun automatic too). You will notice that this Legendary Creature lacks Legendary Actions. But with an automatic 120 DPR, they really don’t need any unless you are planning to use them at the end of the game, in which case giving them an Unerring Slam for two actions, and a short-range teleport of some kind for one action should actually be enough to get them back in the game. Maruts also have the ability to cast Plane Shift, with another unique ability to cast it on a target that is within 60’ of them.

In the changeover, the Marut had their Justify ability folded into the unique Plane Shift Spell, and had their Plane Shift spell limited to just 3 times per day. Limiting Plane Shift is kind of a bummer, but on the upside, they can use it with the normal number of targets now. In terms of things they didn't change, I have to wonder why they didn’t give the Marut True Sight in the revision, it would really work for this kind of creature.

Last edited:

In the changeover, the Martial Arts Adept was heavily nerfed. Previously, they could toss out up to three stuns per turn, or three prones, or three pushes.
Possibly with good reason. In a situation where there are more adepts than there are player characters the chain stun enables them to punch well above their CR.

Indeed.

Still, it's surprising to see the stun totally removed instead of being a limited use power. Considering Stunning Strike is one of the more famous Monk Abilities.
Maybe It's getting the chop from PCs too, or moved into a subclass? One of the problems with the current monk design is stun is so much better than anything else they can do.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I hate stun. I don't like telling my players that they can sit out the game, even for a brief time, and I don't like my monsters to not get a turn either.

Remove ads