D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Still very curious that we don't have an official stat yet for a Firbolg creature. I was expecting they'd be added in this book given that it republished them for player usage. There's probably a half-dozen PC-playable creatures in D&D where it's still assumed that you're going to apply the PC lineage features on top of one of the NPC monster stats to get a default version of that creature. But as we move away from ASIs, the guidance on what ability score spread that default monster should have is lost. I'm all for stripping the ASIs from PCs, but we definitely need more guidance for NPC creature creation.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Still very curious that we don't have an official stat yet for a Firbolg creature. I was expecting they'd be added in this book given that it republished them for player usage. There's probably a half-dozen PC-playable creatures in D&D where it's still assumed that you're going to apply the PC lineage features on top of one of the NPC monster stats to get a default version of that creature. But as we move away from ASIs, the guidance on what ability score spread that default monster should have is lost. I'm all for stripping the ASIs from PCs, but we definitely need more guidance for NPC creature creation.

I like the way you think. PCs can be rare exceptions, but it would be nice to see two or three blocks for what the "commoner", "soldier", and "leader"- types would be like for each species.

As an aside, I think it might be one of the things that bothers me about those really high-level Drow: There's NO "regular" elf stat-blocks! (I understand that you can add elf traits to the otherwise Human NPCs. In all my worlds before now, elves were slightly more different than humans than that). Same goes for dwarves! (But there ARE Duergar!)

Sulicius

Adventurer

Duergar (MToF)​

-snip-

Hey, there has been a HUGE change to a lot of the humanoid duergar: their enlarge can now be cast as a bonus action. I don't see any mention of it, and it such a huge change to them. Instead of wasting a turn on inflating themselves, they can now get swole and immediately reap the benefits from it. This changes their playstyle in a big way, as using enlarge was hardly ever optimal in playstyle.

Another example of a creature getting a change to do their signature ability and be a threat on the same turn.

I'm a bit torn on some of the changes to the drow. They streamlined some to the point to being less interesting, mostly the inquisitor.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Fire Giant Dreadnought (VGtM)​

The Fire Giant Dreadnought represents that inner kid in us all that always thought “If one shield is good, two shields must be better!”

The Dreadnought has a hard knock life in fire giant society. All fire giants are inherently strong, so they show their superiority via their smithing skills. The Dreadnought is the best niche for a giant that lacks any skills other than raw strength. When not shoveling mountains of coal and ore into a forge, they are called to fight for other Fire Giants or serve as bodyguards. If your PCs ever need a massive amount of shoveling for whatever reason, you know who to call.

In combat, the Dreadnought is a brute with a few caveats. Their shields are very heavy and filled with flaming coals, allowing them to deal fire damage and perform a Shield Charge attack that functions much like a Trample. This charge can easily break the lines of any army (or adventuring group) composed of creatures smaller than them. Additionally, they can throw rocks at a good distance for a ranged attack, should there be no melee combatant nearby.

All things said, the Dreadnaught is exactly as streamlined as a CR 14 brute needs to be. Their primary attack has just enough flavor and mechanical complexity to keep them from being dull. Their ranged attack has just enough coverage to prevent them from being rendered totally helpless against fliers or long-range units. Their charge attack gives them a form of advanced movement and just enough control to keep them from being a pure DPR race. I almost wish there was a lower CR version of this monster, just to have it for more of the game.

In the Changeover, the Dreadnought’s Multiattack now applies to their Rock attack. Also, they no longer have to drop their shield for a rock attack (presumably, they are shoveling it). Finally, their Shield Charge had its damage increased and normalized against all targets, regardless of the prone condition.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Firenewts (VGtM)​

Firenewts are fire elementals that are also amphibians, meaning they live in water instead of being killed by it. Originally from the Plane of Fire, they like to hang out near hot springs and volcanoes on the Material Plane. In their lairs you can find domesticated Giant Striders (later in this book) and aqueducts that circulate hot water (or other liquids) for comfort. Firenewt society is militaristic, and based around a cult of Imix, where warlocks are given leadership roles.

Off the bat you will notice these CR 1 and 1/2 newts are far more sapient than a typical elemental, your party could seek them out for environmental hazard work, Giant Strider husbandry, plumbing services, or to forge a pact with Imix (if you really wanted to do that). Additionally, they are valid summons for Conjure Elemental, off the top of my head, a fire elemental that can swim would be handy for burning down a ship (though with a level 5 spell slot, there are doubtlessly better ways to do that).

Firenewt Warrior

The warriors of the Firenewts come equipped with a scimitar, shield and the ability to spit fire for a bit of burst damage. Even accounting for multiattack and a CR of 1/2, actually using one in combat is severely lacking.

Let me elaborate:

Despite their amphibious nature, Firenewts lack a swim speed. Meaning they totally suck while fighting in the water, which is about ½ of their entire gimmick.

Their scimitar attacks? At disadvantage! And they are totally normal scimitars for no reason, a simple spear would have been better!

Their Fire Spit attack? Any creature submersed in water is resistant to any fire damage! Also the range on their only ranged attack is a measly 10’!

It’s like they are designed to be as bad as possible on their home turf. Honestly the only thing they have going for them is a synergy with Giant Strider mounts. As I mentioned before, the absolute least that should be done is to give them a spear. A swim speed, fire damage on weapon attacks, a fire spit that disables fire resistance on a target for a turn or two, all of that would have been ideal for this creature's rework and all of it could have fit in the allotted CR budget.

As for what they actually changed? Firenewts were changed from humanoids that practiced alchemy, into proper elementals that can spit fire. Warriors lost a big chunk of AC thanks to walking around without their chainmail, and received 5 hp for the trade.

Firenewt Warlock of Imix

The Warlock of Iblix is a previously mentioned leader of the Firenewts. They are a warlock, meaning they get to cast spells, though at CR 1, they don’t have much in the way of teeth. In fact, none of their spells, save for Mage Armor, will actually help them in combat. Instead it will do the warlock thing where it stands around in the background, blasting the PCs with ranged fire rays for steady damage, making them little more than a flavorful archer that can see in the dark. They also have the same underwater problems that their warrior brethren have.

As mentioned, the Warlock of Imix lost all of their combat spells (except Mage Armor). Losing gems like: Flaming Sphere for area control, Hellish Rebuke for punishing, and Scorching Ray or Burning Hands for burst damage. Granted, the Warlock casting mechanic meant they could only really pull off two of those spells. But they could shine in different ways when properly set up, allowing you to stack a few of them in the same encounter without it feeling too samey. They also lost Imix’s Blessing, an ability that gave them temporary HP whenever they managed to down an opponent.

If you can’t tell by this point, I am very disappointed with the Firenewt redesign. It is simply amazing how we can go from the elegant design (and redesign) of the Dreadnaught to this, right back to back.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Flail Snail (VGtM)​

Time to take a trip back into the world of magical livestock. With all the old ecology entries that people love I have to wonder why they never made a “D&D, but you are a magical farmer” setting.

The flail snail can be semi-domesticated to make a consistent supply of glass. Their shell in particular is worth a whopping Five Grand in gold, and can be used to make both temporary and permanent magical items. The temporary shields are perhaps the most interesting thing that can be fabricated with their shell, as they can give any creature the Flail Snail’s Antimagic Shell power, to spice up an encounter. Because they are temporary items that expire after a month, you don’t have to worry too much about your PCs getting their hands on them. In fact, you might give them one as a “consumable” reward if the PCs need to punch above their level for a particular encounter. Furthermore, the expired shield can be later enchanted to become a permanent spell-guard shield, if the PCs really loved it.

In combat the flail snail will start off with its Scintillating Shell power, in order to alert any allies it may have, and potentially stun any melee aggressors. On subsequent turns, or if the snail has no allies, it will simply bash enemies with its flails until it falls. The flail snail is the epitome of slow ground-bound melee creatures that die to anyone with a ranged attack, simply because they are a snail. While they have no reprisal against someone who simply moves and shoots, they do have the ability to withdraw into their shell, giving them +4 AC. It’s worth noting that they can hide in their shell, then turn on the lights, should someone get the bright idea to open with ranged attacks.

If I was to change this creature I would start with a climb speed, then give them a damage threshold of lets say 15 while hiding in their shell, if only to give the creature the illusion of a chance. But otherwise, it’s a snail, I would expect someone to defeat it with a salt shaker. If you needed proof that CR is just a measure of DPR and not actual lethality, here it is.

In the changeover, the Flail Snail lost a lot of complexity. No longer do you roll for the effect of its Antimagic Shell, it just does the magical burst for small damage every time they save (this change also applies to the aforementioned temporary shields). Their morbid “Are we the baddies?” Flail Tentacles power was just deleted in a massive blow to story mechanics everywhere, and in return their flail attacks had their damage reduced a bit.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Flind (VGtM)​

Now for another ex-humanoid, the Gnoll. While a typical Gnoll is now a monstrosity, the Flind is a fiend (gnoll) that is native to the material plain. This is rather interesting from a metaphysical point of view, as monstrosities aren’t often recruited into fidnish ranks. It also lets Flinds do that respawn thing if you ever find them away from home.

Flinds lead the horrific Gnoll warbands, which are famed for wandering the countryside and eating anyone and anything in their path, kind of like locusts, with a taste for flesh. You can find most of the other gnolls in this book (including the undead kind) and the rest in the MM, and it would be safe to assume they are going to have similar changes. Though gnolls aren’t the only creatures that can be found in a warband. Hyenas, Leucrotta*, cultists, demons#, even trolls# can be found in their ranks, should you need some diversity in your enemies. If you are interested in using a full warband I recommend taking a look at VGtM, which goes in-depth into creating one.

*later in this book.
# some of these are also later in this book.

Needless to say, gnolls don’t really have an out-of-combat niche, unless you are interested in becoming a cultist of Yeenoghu, and even then you would probably be talking to a Leucrotta about it.

In combat the Flind is the kind of warlord who leads from the front, and can often be found riding a Leucrotta into battle for the improved movement, and the extra target for their Aura of Blood Thirst. Wait, that was changed, we will cover it when we get to the Leucrotta. While they can use their multiattack and longbow for ranged coverage, the design and lore of the Flind lends itself to melee combat. Where it can multiattack with three flail heads (despite having only two depicted in their artwork!) for extra damage and control options. Always attack with the Flail of Chaos first, then the Flail of Paralysis, then follow up with the Flail of Pain. Of note: The Flind doesn’t have the Rampage power, despite being CR 9 and perhaps the single entity in the entire warband that is the most likely to down any given target.

In the changeover, the Flind was changed into a fiend, as noted above. Their DEX was changed to 14, upping the power of their longbow attack. Their armor was swapped out for a breastplate for no change to their AC. Their Flail of Pain attack had a bit of damage shaved off, and the Flail of Chaos was changed to use the target's reaction instead of their action.

Last edited:

Remove ads