D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

dave2008

Legend
You and I are just not going to agree on this.
Though I would prefer a slightly different version than what they are doing, I think it is hard to argue that the new format is not easier to run than the old format. Having relevant things to do right there in the statblock, rather than having to look them up, is generally a easier/faster/better approach, particularly for new DMs. It is also the case that most, if not all, spellcasting monsters still have spells in the new format. If these monsters get better use at the table, they really are not anemic.

Personally, I like designing monsters with spell list, but I don't like running them. I don't know the details of many/most spells by heart and I hate looking them up, and I have DM'd for 30 years and 5e since it started. It is such a waste of time IMO.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Though I would prefer a slightly different version than what they are doing, I think it is hard to argue that the new format is not easier to run than the old format. Having relevant things to do right there in the statblock, rather than having to look them up, is generally a easier/faster/better approach, particularly for new DMs. It is also the case that most, if not all, spellcasting monsters still have spells in the new format. If these monsters get better use at the table, they really are not anemic.

Personally, I like designing monsters with spell list, but I don't like running them. I don't know the details of many/most spells by heart and I hate looking them up, and I have DM'd for 30 years and 5e since it started. It is such a waste of time IMO.
The way I see it, one of the things spell lists are supposed to do for a monster is inspire. Fewer spells means less inspiration. It's nice if they're also easy to use, but that isn't my highest priority, and I wish it wasn't WotC's.

dave2008

Legend
The way I see it, one of the things spell lists are supposed to do for a monster is inspire. Fewer spells means less inspiration. It's nice if they're also easy to use, but that isn't my highest priority, and I wish it wasn't WotC's.
A spell list is just a bunch of strange words unless you know what they do. That is not inspiring to most and I will generally always take functionality over inspiration in my stat block anytime. Besides, WotC are mostly leaving the flavorful / inspiring spells, IMO, in the stat blocks. They are generally replacing the boring damage spells with a damage magic action. I think @Leatherhead has done a good job of explaining when that has worked and when it has been less effective.

Wizards helpfully explained what spells can be in a Monster's Statblock.

• The Spellcasting action doesn’t use spell slots. A creature can cast the action’s spells a certain number of times per day.
  • The only spells that appear in the Spellcasting action are ones that take an action to cast. If a spell requires a bonus action, a reaction, or a minute or more to cast, that spell must appear elsewhere in the stat block. This change ensures that bonus actions and reactions—such as misty step and shield—aren’t hiding out in a list of spells.
  • We’re more selective about which spells appear in a stat block, focusing on spells that have noncombat utility. A magic-using monster’s most potent firepower is now usually represented by special magical actions, rather than relying on spells.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Wizards helpfully explained what spells can be in a Monster's Statblock.
Personally, I find all those things handy. I've found them handy when making monsters before MPMM was released (I was going with the Level Up format) and I even started formatting my character sheets into action-bonus action-reaction blocks. I still prefer the LU method, where most spells are written out as actions but are still tagged as spells and their level and need for concentration (if applicable) is mentioned.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Personally, I find all those things handy. I've found them handy when making monsters before MPMM was released (I was going with the Level Up format) and I even started formatting my character sheets into action-bonus action-reaction blocks. I still prefer the LU method, where most spells are written out as actions but are still tagged as spells and their level and need for concentration (if applicable) is mentioned.
See now, if WotC just converted to the LU standard, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about it.

I prefer the new way, as I really hate the counterspell wars.

Remove ads