Let's invent some +1 Feats

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The more I do these, the more I wonder if there's a place for +1 to X and +1 to Y feats with some small bonus, as long as X and Y are not complementary like DEX and CON. (Well, just about anything and CON, knowing D&D). For example:

Scholar
+1 INT and +1 WIS
Gain proficiency in a language.
You read twice as fast as others.
You prepare spells in half the time.

Blue

Engineer
+1 INT or +1 DEX
Your bonus when using any Artisan tool is doubled.
If a tool is required to be able to attempt a task and you don't have it, you may spend 10 minutes to work up a set of temporary tools. The grant no bonus and may only be used once, but you may attempt the task.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like it, but it might be too good for archer rogues that it's a feat tax.

A feat tax is a feat that is required for someone to “keep up”. Also, I don’t think that a feat that gives part of the benefit of taking level 1 Fighter is that big a deal.

Chryssis

Explorer
Focused
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You can use a bonus action to cause your next attack with a melee or ranged weapon cause an extra 1d4 damage.

Inspired by my Triton Fighter dilemma, where I want to use an oversized trident(Polearm that does piercing damage, pike stats) but can't take advantage of polearm master(Samurai would fix my problems, but it's AL, so I can't use it and triton). Ranged is included because it makes perfect sense to focus and line up a shot for ranged as well. Intentionally doesn't work with extra attacks, as that would be too much damage per round.

Focused(Alternate idea)
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You can use a bonus action to add 2 damage to each attack you make this turn.

This version scales, but adds 1 less damage on average. I think the optimal power level would be between the 2, but have no idea how to make it happen.

i like this however you are wrong about your alternate idea, it adds more damage not less. 1d4 average is 2.5 so if you land 1 attack/round it will do 25% less damage on average, if you land 2 attacks it will do 60% more damage on average and Always at least equal any more attacks and it is guaranteed better. i actually like the revised version as it is both stronger and weaker than polearm in some respects.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would go with something a little different than GWM. What about ''You can take a penalty to attack up to your Prof bonus to add the same number as extra damage on a hit''? Or ''When you make an attack against a target and would have advantage on the roll, you can trade the advantage to deal extra 5 damage on a hit instead''.

It's more of a thought experiment...is half of the effect of GWM/SS worth half a feat? Especially when the -5/+10 aspect of GWM/SS isn't a full feat by itself?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The more I do these, the more I wonder if there's a place for +1 to X and +1 to Y feats with some small bonus, as long as X and Y are not complementary like DEX and CON. (Well, just about anything and CON, knowing D&D). For example:

Scholar
+1 INT and +1 WIS
Gain proficiency in a language.
You read twice as fast as others.
You prepare spells in half the time.
I would say so, yea, with the proviso you mentioned of no CON. Heck, you could give out +1 to INT, WIS, and CHA in a feat with no real issues.

Blue

Focused
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You can use a bonus action to cause your next attack with a melee or ranged weapon cause an extra 1d4 damage.

Inspired by my Triton Fighter dilemma, where I want to use an oversized trident(Polearm that does piercing damage, pike stats) but can't take advantage of polearm master(Samurai would fix my problems, but it's AL, so I can't use it and triton). Ranged is included because it makes perfect sense to focus and line up a shot for ranged as well. Intentionally doesn't work with extra attacks, as that would be too much damage per round.

Focused(Alternate idea)
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You can use a bonus action to add 2 damage to each attack you make this turn.

This version scales, but adds 1 less damage on average. I think the optimal power level would be between the 2, but have no idea how to make it happen.

I'm unsure about adding a damage bonus to all weapon styles (2h, sword+board, archery) except dual wielding. Because you need your bonus action to make your offhand attack. Where this leaves us is the weakest (after Extra Attack) weapon style gets nothing more, and all of the other, already better styles get another thing that could stack.

That's not an inherent problem with this - I'd just want to include a feat that boosts up dual wielding as well. I guess you could also solve this by allowing the bonus action for this feat also allow an offhand attack. (Though then weapon & shield users could do a Improvised Weapon attack with the shield.)

Blue

[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION], this is one of my most enjoyed posts in a while. It's very positive - people just putting up lots of creative ideas. Even critiques seem mainly about ways to approve or riff off the ideas.

Thanks.

Adamant

Explorer
I'm unsure about adding a damage bonus to all weapon styles (2h, sword+board, archery) except dual wielding. Because you need your bonus action to make your offhand attack. Where this leaves us is the weakest (after Extra Attack) weapon style gets nothing more, and all of the other, already better styles get another thing that could stack.

That's not an inherent problem with this - I'd just want to include a feat that boosts up dual wielding as well. I guess you could also solve this by allowing the bonus action for this feat also allow an offhand attack. (Though then weapon & shield users could do a Improvised Weapon attack with the shield.)

I was trying to keep the complexity down, since usually the half feats are fairly simple. Dual wielding has so many problems with action cost that I don't know of a simple way to add damage to it without making the feat passive. The whole feat was inspired by the Kensei's Shot ability, and the samurai fighter archetype, where you use your bonus action to focus and get a benefit if you hit, but waste your bonus action if you miss. I'm hesitant to put too much power into a half feat like this, even if it isn't real.

Focused
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You can use a bonus action to cause your next attack with a melee or ranged weapon cause an extra 1d4 damage. If you have the Extra Attack class feature add an extra 1d4 damage for each additional attack you would be able to make. This is added to the first attempted attack, not to each attack this turn.

This is the final version, it's not perfect, but i'd rather not hijack the thread for 1 feat that I will never actually use. I added scaling with extra attack, but it's still all or nothing attached to the next attack that turn.

To get the thread rolling again, here's another feat.

Master of Heights
+1 Strength or Dexterity
You have advantage on checks and saves made to avoid falling, such as on a narrow bridge or slippery surface.
Gain proficiency in either Acrobatics or Athletics.

Inspired by a party of 1st level wizards in the sewer, who had 2 people get knocked out slipping off a ladder.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases