• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Let's Make 4E!! (Brainstorming)

rounser

First Post
1) Decide whether to continue the emphasis on classic "adventuring" setups, ie dungeons, monsters, treasure

2) Decide which metagenre the core game should be aimed at

3) Regardless of metagenre, fix scaling issues so as to obviate the need for hacks like "epic-level" rules
Metagenre? What crazy gamer moontalk is this?

Please explain. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
rounser said:
Metagenre? What crazy gamer moontalk is this?

Please explain. :)
Ignorant prole. Get ye to Fantasy HERO and learn all about the crossworlds fantasy metagenre, the epic fantasy metagenre, the high fantasy metagenre, the low fantasy metagenre, the swords and sorcery metagenre, and the urban fantasy metagenre.

Well, actually, they're all subgenres rather than metagenres, but being the uneducated buffoons that you are, you'd obviously never have known that had I not chosen to reveal my deliberate misteak. I am so smart. SMRT smart.

Hong "never metagenre I didn't like" Ooi

rounser

First Post
Ignorant prole. Get ye to Fantasy HERO and learn all about the crossworlds fantasy metagenre, the epic fantasy metagenre, the high fantasy metagenre, the low fantasy metagenre, the swords and sorcery metagenre, and the urban fantasy metagenre.
Ah, admit it, you've done a PhD in D&D, and are trying to blame it on some innocent game designers.

Creeping HEROisation of D&D? Creeping HEROisation of hong's brain more like it. :cool:

hong

WotC's bitch
rounser said:
Ah, admit it, you've done a PhD in D&D, and are trying to blame it on some innocent game designers.

Hey, I'm not the one who's done a PhD in game design. It's Steve Long who's done the PhD in game design. Heck, the HERO books read like textbooks, and they're bigger than my thesis. :eek:

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
hong said:
Hey, I'm not the one who's done a PhD in game design. It's Steve Long who's done the PhD in game design. Heck, the HERO books read like textbooks, and they're bigger than my thesis. :eek:
Which would pretty much sum up why I have quit playing HERO. IMNSHO Steve Long is the worst thing that ever happened to that system...
:mad:

Edited because I can't type...

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post

1) The magic item system is too disconected (yet integral to) the character's power and play ability. This is particulalry true when its interdependence upon the CR system. As a result: Give the players more control in developing/creating items vs. finding them. I'm pretty certain this would open up a number of issues that deserve resolution, including putting better controls around the power/balance between items. This would also entail a minor overhaul of the magic item creation feats as well.

2) Sonic energy damage/resistance.

3) Smooth out metamagic effects.

4) Smooth out multi-class spellcasters.

5) Smooth out high level game play, and the ability to expand into Epic.

Stalker0

Legend
One problem I have with some of the class abilities right now is this innate need for symmetry.

Barbs have to get rage every 4 levels.... druid gets wildshape every x levels. I understand it helps from an understanding point of view, but I think it hurts the congruity between low and high level play.

Stalker0

Legend
K'Plah Q'Houme said:
Why in the name of Christ do you think that we need a 4.0 ver? Can't we just house rule for what we need done different? The worst thing is, that if WoTC published 4.0 tommorrow I would have to buy the whole lot, and become even poorer than I am now.

Who said I think we need 4.0? Who said I want 4.0?

I'm just a guy who likes to create... so I thought, well since everyone here likes creating dungeons, and monsters, and iron npcs, why not work on a new version?

I'm getting sick and tired of you guys complaining about this. Its just creating guys. Sure much of what could create could be house ruled.. I just said 4.0 so that we have the flexibility to go beyond 3e style mechanics if need be. Its just fun!!!

Hammerhead

Explorer
Screw 4th Edition! Why not just go straight to 5th edition? 5th Edition is going to be the best game ever...I refuse to buy anything else until 5th comes out.-

Remove ads